YAFAP: Sarah the lawful human valkyrie

Message has been deleted

cryst...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2007, 10:02:48 PM7/11/07
(Sorry for reposting; I forgot about a certain mistake I made that
killed a conduct.)

This ascension sort of played itself, for reasons that'll be clear
fairly soon. I'd gotten close a few times - once to the Astral Plane
-
but this time did it. It's only been about two years. No conducts,
although it was polypileless and survivor.

This game is what everybody dreams about. First floor wand of
wishing.
Hello blessed scrolls of charging, SDSM, cloak of magic resistance,
speed boots, amulet of life saving, and bag of holding. I leave my
pet
behind as usual. I saunter off and find a store on DL2 with a wand of
death. I don't feel like killing any shopkeepers today, though, so I
come back and pay for it when I can. On the next floor is a big armor
shop, but I've got plenty of it already. I do pick up some gauntlets
of power though.

Now equipped with my shiny happy gear, I go to the Mines. On the
first
level there's another BoH. Figures. Minetown is fairly generic. The
altar's my alignment, so I get Mjollnir. The rest of the mines are
similarly generic - wine cellar, so lots of potions. I almost kill
myself putting on a ring of conflict next to the priest when I wasn't
thinking.

More levels, more shops. I find the missing gauntlets of power in one
of them. I decide to do Sokoban just for the wands and rings, and
what
do you know? One of them is another wand of death. I add it to my
harem of goodies.

Around DL12 I find a temple. It's the only altar I've found other
than
Minetown, so I convert it, kill the priest with one of my WoDs, and
set up a stash there, identified stuff, made holy water, the works.
Around this time I almost die when something steps onto a polymorph
trap, becomes an Olog-hai, and tracks me down. I zap it away with a
wand of teleportation, rest, and get my bearings.

Then I head for the Quest. Remember that first floor wand of wishing?
Well, I get ANOTHER one here. Yep. I drag it back to the quest and
finish out my gear (I had to replace the gauntlets of power, which by
now were hopelessly decimated by rust and rot, since I'm short on
enchant armor scrolls - I think I saw one in the entire dungeon up to
this point), get a tinning kit, and about a million scrolls of
genocide. Goodbye L, ;, h, d (that was a typo), J, T, R, and H.

Now, H are giants. Gather round, folks. Here's a lesson we can all
learn from. The valkyrie quests are generated with random H. All H
are
genocideable, except titans and Lord Surtur. If you genocide H, the
game can't exactly summon up several random Lord Surturs, so you get
titans. Lots and lots of titans. Lovely titans. I must say I got
cocky
at first: "Oh, titans. No big deal." And then the first titan sent
the
first curse attack. Now I panic. Luckily, that was the only curse
attack any of them ever sent. I deal with them okay by throwing
Mjollnir (not in the path of lava) and taking them out one at a time.
(I did screw up by panickedly running into lava without my ring of
levitation; Tyr had to get me out of that one.) However, it's safe to
say that you don't want lots of titans on your quest. Ever.

Now for Lord Surtur's lair. The titan generator went crazy here and I
panic again. Especially when they start summoning nasties. I remember
I have a ring of conflict, I put it on, and it saves me. Once the
titans are gone, Surtur is a piece of cake by comparison. I escape
the
formerly titan-infested quest with AoLS intact and with only one item
to uncurse.

More dungeoning. I find Tyr's temple, which gives me some minor
annoyance that I set my stash up elsewhere. Also, I find another
general store, but I typo and sell my silver bell. Goodbye
shopkeeper.
You will be missed. I sacrifice some stuff to appease my god. I get a
few artifacts, but they're nothing I want (Dragonbane, Fire Brand,
and
Grimtooth). Further down is another lawful temple. I make a new stash
there. For the next few thousand turns I cart junk up to the various
stores to sell it for protection money.

Medusa was easy. No titan (I think the game took pity on me) and she
somehow killed herself before I even got to her. The Castle was also
easy - I blew apart the drawbridge, levitated in, and caused general
mayhem. I get my third wand of wishing and save it in case I do
something dumb. (I do try to wish for Grayswandir, but I didn't get
it
for some reason.)

And I do, in fact, something dumb. I eat a chameleon corpse by
accident and rip apart my cloak of magic resistance when I become a
silver dragon. Wand of wishing time. I get a fresh new cloak. By this
time my AP is about -32 and I have about 300 HP. Other dumb things I
do in Gehennom include overenchanting my SDSM - another wish gone -
and running into a moat. Nothing important got blanked though.

I make my way through Gehennom. Kind of slowly - I forgot to take
scrolls of x detection with me. But I make my way. Cleared out Vlad's
tower. I get pissed momentarily when Mjollnir smashes apart the
amulet
of life saving, but by this time I have two anyway. Vlad was easy, as
usual. Orcus Town was fairly tough, as I had to chase Orcus up about
six levels until he finally stopped reappearing so I assume he died.
(I had conflict up.) Around this time I toy around with trying to
twoweapon with a silver saber I found, but it gets too annoying
switching between my pickaxe and my two weapons so I just give up.
Also, in Gehennom, I finally find a magic lamp, which I use.

I get to the vibrating square, dump my invocation artifacts, and go
kill Rodney and get the Book of the Dead. Rodney appears about 5 more
times as I try to get down. Now my wands of death are out of charges.
I charge one up, but now I'm out of scrolls of charging. I hold my
breath.

I perform the invocation, get to the Sanctum, which actually goes
fairly smoothly considering. I get the Amulet and make my way up
Gehennom. I get kicked back about a million times but move up slowly.
(Valkyrie creeps.) Rodney appears quite a bit. A few times I was
lucky
enough to have a c corpse, but the rest of the time I had to zap.
Luckily, though, he is nice about not cursing much - the only thing I
have to uncurse that mattered was my ring of levitation.

I get back to my stash and make about a zillion blessed scrolls of
charging for my wands of death. As luck would have it, Rodney only
shows up at the Plane of Earth like he's supposed to. Never again.
Figures. I make it up without a problem and get the Plane of Earth.
Rodney goes down. The Plane of Earth was easy but tedious. Air was no
problem with my ring of levitation. The air elementals weren't so
bad,
and by this time I had over 400 HP anyway. Fire was very annoying as
always seemed to get overrun by monsters (they didn't hurt much but
they surrounded me), and I didn't want to put up with the 100 or so
messages I got per turn with conflict. (Plus, I didn't want to forget
to take it off for Astral Plane like I did in another game.) I had
figured that I'd use the Orb of Fate to find the portals, but the Orb
of Fate decided it wasn't having any of that. One of the Amulet of
Yendor's side effects, I think. I'm a bit nervous on the Plane of
Water since I'm running very low on food - I think I found the portal
on my last C-ration.

Now for the Astral Plane. I get my angel but promptly lose it in the
crowd. I go left and it's Pestilence. I kill it and unihorn away the
illness. I got lucky this time; the first altar I found was mine. And
there I go...

1 4861918 Sarah-Val-Hum-Fem-Law ascended to demigoddess-hood.
385 [416]

(In my excitement I forgot to copy the other info. Ah well. It's the
usual.)

Ohle Claussen

Jul 12, 2007, 7:27:03 AM7/12/07
On 2007-07-12, cryst...@gmail.com wrote:
> but this time did it. It's only been about two years. No conducts,
> although it was polypileless and survivor.

Congratulations!

> Around DL12 I find a temple. It's the only altar I've found other
> than
> Minetown, so I convert it, kill the priest with one of my WoDs,

Were you aware that there is a chance that a priest gets generated with a
CoMR? In that case, you would have had to deal with a deathray-immune, very
angry priest. Not generally a good idea.

> Then I head for the Quest. Remember that first floor wand of wishing?
> Well, I get ANOTHER one here. Yep. I drag it back to the quest and
> finish out my gear (I had to replace the gauntlets of power, which by
> now were hopelessly decimated by rust and rot, since I'm short on
> enchant armor scrolls - I think I saw one in the entire dungeon up to
> this point)

I'd have wished for a magic marker. One blessed ?oEA to completely repair
your GoP, and enough charges left for more enchantment.

> genocide. Goodbye L, ;, h, d (that was a typo), J, T, R, and H.

The first three are common, if debatable (well, ';' is debatable, at
least). I can somewhat understand T and R. But J and H?

> Now, H are giants. Gather round, folks. Here's a lesson we can all
> learn from. The valkyrie quests are generated with random H. All H
> are
> genocideable, except titans and Lord Surtur. If you genocide H, the
> game can't exactly summon up several random Lord Surturs, so you get
> titans. Lots and lots of titans. Lovely titans.

Ugh. Between that and not having tasty giant corpses to max your strengths,
genociding H was probably a big mistake.

> Now for Lord Surtur's lair. The titan generator went crazy here and I
> panic again. Especially when they start summoning nasties. I remember
> I have a ring of conflict, I put it on, and it saves me. Once the
> titans are gone, Surtur is a piece of cake by comparison. I escape
> the
> formerly titan-infested quest with AoLS intact and with only one item
> to uncurse.

Tough run. Usually, the valk quest is very easy going.

Congrats again. A _very_ lucky but also quite exciting game, it seems.

--
Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
----------===========----------

cryst...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2007, 12:15:10 PM7/12/07
On Jul 12, 7:27 am, Ohle Claussen <claus...@dpi.physik.uni-
goettingen.de> wrote:

> Congratulations!

- Thanks!

> Were you aware that there is a chance that a priest gets generated with a
> CoMR? In that case, you would have had to deal with a deathray-immune, very
> angry priest. Not generally a good idea.

- Wasn't aware of that - it's never happened to me. I brought a c
corpse though, just in case the wand misseed.

> I'd have wished for a magic marker. One blessed ?oEA to completely repair
> your GoP, and enough charges left for more enchantment.

- That would've worked too. I'd found two by then though. One in the
hardware shop, one deathdropped.

> > genocide. Goodbye L, ;, h, d (that was a typo), J, T, R, and H.
>
> The first three are common, if debatable (well, ';' is debatable, at
> least). I can somewhat understand T and R. But J and H?

- A jabberwock was responsible for my demise in a previous game, and I
was low on creativity. The H was based on my dubious thinking (I had
done level 1 of the quest at this point) that "These giants are
getting really annoying and I don't like their boulders. I know! I'll
genocide them and they'll never throw boulders at me ever again!"

> Ugh. Between that and not having tasty giant corpses to max your strengths,
> genociding H was probably a big mistake.

- Yeah, I won't do that again. The strength wasn't too bad though. I
had eaten a few on the first floor where I found the /oW, and I ran
into a very large beehive with lots of royal jelly, which helped a
bit.

> Tough run. Usually, the valk quest is very easy going.

- Yep. Although I did remember to kill the drawbridges first before
they could kill me.

> Congrats again. A _very_ lucky but also quite exciting game, it seems.

- Thanks again!

syull...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2007, 5:44:41 PM7/14/07
On Jul 11, 9:02 pm, crystall...@gmail.com wrote:
> (Sorry for reposting; I forgot about a certain mistake I made that
> killed a conduct.)
>
> This ascension sort of played itself, for reasons that'll be clear
> fairly soon. I'd gotten close a few times - once to the Astral Plane
> -
> but this time did it. It's only been about two years. No conducts,
> although it was polypileless and survivor.

Why forego polypiling once you break "never polymorphed an object"?
Just no need, or a matter of personal taste?

YA(N)I: count the number of polymorphed objects, as is already done
for the number of species genocided and the number of wishes used.
Also maybe which forms were polyselfed to - stepping on a polytrap and
changing into a lichen isn't the same as polyselfing into a master
mind flayer and glutting yourself on the brains of your foes.

> However, it's safe to
> say that you don't want lots of titans on your quest. Ever.

At least they're interesting... some of the quests are god-awful
boring. The wizard quest, for example, is infested with vampire bats,
which are scary for low-level characters but mooks for anyone above XL:
14 who's been preparing. A level full of titans sounds kind of fun.

>(I do try to wish for Grayswandir, but I didn't get
> it
> for some reason.)

Probably because there were so many artifacts generated already, which
makes wishing for them harder... I've been known to swear at my deity
when they start sending me junk artifacts and I haven't been able to
wish for anything good yet. One would think they'd realize that their
hero isn't helped much by receiving the +0 Sting, or whatever, but I
guess they're too busy playing dice with the universe to pay
attention.

> I get to the vibrating square, dump my invocation artifacts, and go
> kill Rodney and get the Book of the Dead.

You left the bell and candelabrum behind!? You're a braver Demigoddess
than I... I don't let those things out of my sight. Ever. I'm
terrified that something will pick them up, get levelported, and I'll
have to go hunting all over the dungeons to find them again, possibly
with Wizard in tow. If whatever was holding them fell in a pit, and a
rolling boulder was triggered that killed the thing when it fell in,
I'd have to object detection every level, then go around seeing which
objects are actually buried and digging them up. Probably moving
everything I find into containers first, so that if another item was
dropped on the square they were buried in I'd still detect them.
Paranoid, maybe, but geez... they're the freaking invocation
artifacts...

That said, I'm glad it worked out for you.

> 1 4861918 Sarah-Val-Hum-Fem-Law ascended to demigoddess-hood.
> 385 [416]

Congrats!

cryst...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2007, 10:22:27 PM7/14/07

Why forego polypiling once you break "never polymorphed an object"?
Just no need, or a matter of personal taste?

>YA(N)I: count the number of polymorphed objects, as is already done
for the number of species genocided and the number of wishes used.
Also maybe which forms were polyselfed to - stepping on a polytrap
and
changing into a lichen isn't the same as polyselfing into a master
mind flayer and glutting yourself on the brains of your foes.

No need. I didn't find any wands of polymorph until late game, and by
that time I already had everything I needed, my HP was over 300, I was
done enchanting stuff after accidentally killing my SDSM, etc.

>At least they're interesting... some of the quests are god-awful
boring. The wizard quest, for example, is infested with vampire bats,
which are scary for low-level characters but mooks for anyone above
XL:
14 who's been preparing. A level full of titans sounds kind of fun.

Yeah, the wizard quest is pretty boring, although getting surrounded
by bats can be a problem if you don't have a way to get out of it. The
titans were fun once they died.

>Probably because there were so many artifacts generated already, which
makes wishing for them harder... I've been known to swear at my deity
when they start sending me junk artifacts and I haven't been able to
wish for anything good yet. One would think they'd realize that their
hero isn't helped much by receiving the +0 Sting, or whatever, but I
guess they're too busy playing dice with the universe to pay
attention.

Probably, now that I think of it. Tyr, my benevolent god, always
looking out for me with his wondrous gifts of Grimtooth and its ilk. I
like the guaranteed Mjollnir.

>You left the bell and candelabrum behind!? You're a braver Demigoddess
than I... I don't let those things out of my sight. Ever. I'm
terrified that something will pick them up, get levelported, and I'll
have to go hunting all over the dungeons to find them again, possibly
with Wizard in tow. If whatever was holding them fell in a pit, and a
rolling boulder was triggered that killed the thing when it fell in,
I'd have to object detection every level, then go around seeing which
objects are actually buried and digging them up. Probably moving
everything I find into containers first, so that if another item was
dropped on the square they were buried in I'd still detect them.
Paranoid, maybe, but geez... they're the freaking invocation
artifacts...

Heh. They're just heavy, and I'm paranoid about something cursing my
BoH when there's a lot of stuff in it and making me Overtaxed and out
of luck. That's how one of my previous characters died. I did burn an
Elbereth onto the square, though. I guess an elf or something could
have picked it up, but that's never happened to me (granted, I've only
gotten this far three times)

syull...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2007, 1:00:35 AM7/15/07
On Jul 14, 9:22 pm, crystall...@gmail.com wrote:
> >You left the bell and candelabrum behind!? You're a braver Demigoddess
>
> than I... I don't let those things out of my sight. Ever. I'm
> terrified that something will pick them up, get levelported, and I'll
> have to go hunting all over the dungeons to find them again, possibly
> with Wizard in tow. If whatever was holding them fell in a pit, and a
> rolling boulder was triggered that killed the thing when it fell in,
> I'd have to object detection every level, then go around seeing which
> objects are actually buried and digging them up. Probably moving
> everything I find into containers first, so that if another item was
> dropped on the square they were buried in I'd still detect them.
> Paranoid, maybe, but geez... they're the freaking invocation
> artifacts...
>
> Heh. They're just heavy, and I'm paranoid about something cursing my
> BoH when there's a lot of stuff in it and making me Overtaxed and out
> of luck. That's how one of my previous characters died. I did burn an
> Elbereth onto the square, though. I guess an elf or something could
> have picked it up, but that's never happened to me (granted, I've only
> gotten this far three times)

Ah, I don't usually do well with physical-combat-oriented characters,
so I usually go with "Don't Unwield Magicbane," and habitually forget
about inventory cursing altogether. I guess leaving them behind makes
more sense than I thought, from an inventory-management perspective.