toys for Archons

Ben Rosengart

Oct 6, 2008, 6:48:53 PM10/6/08
I've been leaving artifact weapons around for my Archon. Frost
Brand, Mjollnir, Excalibur. He's sticking with his -- ugh -- orcish
bow. How come? Excalibur, at the very least, shares his alignment,
right?

Thanks,

--
Ben
2.3.2 418 I'm a teapot

Jared

Oct 6, 2008, 8:29:37 PM10/6/08
(a)pply a bullwhip and take it away from him. :)

-Jared

Doug Freyburger

Oct 7, 2008, 10:22:17 AM10/7/08
Jared <martin.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ben Rosengart <ben+r...@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > I've been leaving artifact weapons around for my Archon.  Frost
> > Brand, Mjollnir, Excalibur.  He's sticking with his -- ugh -- orcish
> > bow.  How come?  Excalibur, at the very least, shares his alignment,
> > right?

Monsters pick up and use any co-aligned or un-aligned
artifact. You can use this feature if he's already wielding
an artifact you want - Drop a junk one in front of him and
he'll switch. Take the good artifact then at your liesure
swap better artifacts to him.

This means he should have picked up Frost Brand or
Excalibur and ignored Mjollnir.

> (a)pply a bullwhip and take it away from him. :)

Monsters won't pick up cursed items so they will only
wield cursed items from their original inventory. Is it
possible he got the orcish bow as a random item in his
initial item? Or that it got cursed at some point in combat
with a spell caster? The bullwhip should tell you if it is
cursed.

rpresser

Oct 7, 2008, 1:26:13 PM10/7/08
On Oct 7, 10:22 am, Doug Freyburger <dfrey...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Monsters pick up and use any co-aligned or un-aligned artifact.
>  You can use this feature if he's already wielding an artifact you
> want - Drop a junk one in front of him and he'll switch.  Take the
> good artifact then at your liesure swap better artifacts to him.
>
> This means he should have picked up Frost Brand or Excalibur and
> ignored Mjollnir.

In wizmode, my archon refused to pick up a blessed +5 fire brand, even
after I bullwhipped his Sunsword away.

Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner

Oct 7, 2008, 4:56:02 PM10/7/08
rpresser <rpre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In wizmode, my archon refused to pick up a blessed +5 fire brand, even
> after I bullwhipped his Sunsword away.

Pets are wretchedly perverse about what they'll wield/wear. I wish
there were "give" and "take" commands for situations like these. It
seems ridiculous that you can have a meaningful conversation with a pet
(that is, an intelligent, item-using pet) but when you want to give them
something or take it away, you're limited to dropping the item on the
floor and hoping they pick it up, or bullwhipping it away from them. I
know, I should come up with a working patch before pointing fingers. I
can see how there could be some potential exploitability in this,
though...do pets have encumbrance limits like players?

--
Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me

Janis Papanagnou

Oct 7, 2008, 7:12:06 PM10/7/08
Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner wrote:

> Pets are wretchedly perverse about what they'll wield/wear. I wish
> there were "give" and "take" commands for situations like these.

I think this is a good idea.

> It
> seems ridiculous that you can have a meaningful conversation with a pet
> (that is, an intelligent, item-using pet) but when you want to give them
> something or take it away, you're limited to dropping the item on the

> floor and hoping they pick it up, or bullwhipping it away from them. [...]

> I can see how there could be some potential exploitability in this,
> though...do pets have encumbrance limits like players?

What exploit do you have in mind?
Just limit the items monster can carry by a small number of slots.

Janis

7aboir kinoufo

Oct 9, 2008, 5:36:36 AM10/9/08
Janis Papanagnou <janis_pa...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Main exploit would be to give him the "oY on your way back...

rpresser

Oct 9, 2008, 10:45:51 AM10/9/08
On Oct 9, 5:36 am, 7aboir kinoufo <no.m...@thank.you> wrote:

> Main exploit would be to give him the "oY on your way back...

Hah!

Although, is that any more of an exploit than letting Asmodeus carry
it for me?

Derek Ray

Oct 9, 2008, 2:51:46 PM10/9/08

Neither of which work? :)

--
Derek

Game info and change log: http://sporkhack.com
Beta Server: telnet://sporkhack.com
IRC: irc.freenode.net, #sporkhack

7aboir kinoufo

Oct 10, 2008, 4:48:07 PM10/10/08
Derek Ray <de...@moot.its.only.a.spamtrap.org> wrote in

> On 2008-10-09, rpresser <rpre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 9, 5:36 am, 7aboir kinoufo <no.m...@thank.you> wrote:
>>
>>> Main exploit would be to give him the "oY on your way back...
>>
>> Hah!
>>
>> Although, is that any more of an exploit than letting Asmodeus carry
>> it for me?
>
> Neither of which work? :)

huh! you're most probably right!
That is something that I've seen previously (or think I've seen) on
rgrn, even if cannot find the reference. (both pet or coveteous monster
usage on way up).
Cause I've never tried it in real game, just right now on wizmode which
seems to not work the way I would hope... And I do not want to dive in
code to check...
Just for the sake of my mind, and if you know, is this something that
changed from previous version?
Regards.

Doug Freyburger

Oct 13, 2008, 12:49:36 PM10/13/08
Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanag...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner wrote:
>
> >    Pets are wretchedly perverse about what they'll wield/wear.  I wish
> > there were "give" and "take" commands for situations like these.
>
> I think this is a good idea.

If "give" were implemented but not "take" that would limit
abuse potential. You become limited to what items a pet
will drop unless you're willing to kill it.

> > It
> > seems ridiculous that you can have a meaningful conversation with a pet
> > (that is, an intelligent, item-using pet) but when you want to give them
> > something or take it away, you're limited to dropping the item on the
> > floor and hoping they pick it up, or bullwhipping it away from them. [...]
> > I can see how there could be some potential exploitability in this,
> > though...do pets have encumbrance limits like players?
>
> What exploit do you have in mind?

If a pet refuses to accept items that are cursed (easier early
BUC id), intelligent, cross-aligned artifacts, cross-typed quest
artifacts, unique items, it would reduce the abuse potential.
For fun the pet could also refuse to accept cheap plastic
imitations of the Amulet just for added ambiguity.

> Just limit the items monster can carry by a small number of slots.

Agreed. Except like giants and boulders, it's not quite the
same. Still, if a pet only accepted one wielded weapon, one
quivered one, one armor item of each wearable type and so
on - That would give it a lot to work with and limit its ability
to be used as a pack mule.