YAAP: nudist wizard [genoless, poly[item+self]less, artiwishless]

JoaoSantos

Mar 15, 2009, 3:09:18 PM3/15/09
Starting inventory included: ?oID, ?oTel, +oClairvoyance, !speed,
!GainAbility, =SD, +1=GainConstitution and /oSpeed.

Got MagicBane at the minetown altar and "oR at sokoban.
Got +oProtection at DL 8, but didn't use much, and after getting ~10
AC by donations I stopped using it at all, as well as +1/+2 =oProt.

The throne from the Quest gave a wish (magic marker) and a Quantum
mechanic at DL 18 death-dropped a (0:1) /oWishing, so I almost didn't
use the castle (0:3) /oW.

Points of interest from dumplog:
http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/solidsnail/dumplog/1236863268.nh343.txt

Solidsnail the Sorceress St:18 Dx:18 Co:16 In:20 Wi:20 Ch:16 Chaotic
Astral Plane $:2 HP:258(258) Pw:235(364) AC:-2 Exp:20 T:64060

Spells known in the end
// all except for restore ability, confuse monster, create familiar,
// turn undead and cancellation; used Detect Food for confusion

Vanquished creatures
Asmodeus
Baalzebub
Orcus
Yeenoghu
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (thrice)
Pestilence (twice)
2 arch-liches
a high priest
Medusa
8 master liches
The Dark One // I wanted to run away with only the Eye, but he
// wouldn't leave me
5 demiliches
Vlad the Impaler
9 master mind flayers
3 werewolves // DIE, F***ERS !!! they cost me a promising attempt
a wererat // by giving me lycantropy; MC is a very nice thing
2 werejackals

Genocided or extinct species:
erinyes (extinct)
1 species extinct.

Voluntary challenges
You never genocided any monsters
You never polymorphed an object
You never changed form
You used 7 wishes
You did not wish for any artifacts

Goodbye solidsnail the Demigoddess...
You went to your reward with 3906624 points,

solidsnail

Message has been deleted

Kent Paul Dolan

Mar 15, 2009, 9:59:36 PM3/15/09
rory wrote:
> JoaoSantos wrote:

>> Solidsnail the Sorceress St:18 Dx:18 Co:16 In:20 Wi:20 Ch:16 Chaotic
>> Astral Plane $:2 HP:258(258) Pw:235(364) AC:-2 Exp:20 T:64060

Oh, man, I missed "nudist" in the OP subject line.
Let me add my applause to that of JoaoSantos.

> Damn, well done. Astral must've been pretty tough
> with AC -2...how many tries did it take for you to
> do this?

And is this one of those "any sufficiently skilled
player reaches some point in the game where only
error, not misfortune, can prevent ascension" proofs
by example?

xanthian, with one of my best games in years underway
(I'm now able to treat elementals as popcorn monsters),
but lacking a source of reflection is making a YASD
still the expected outcome.

John Harris

Mar 16, 2009, 3:51:33 AM3/16/09
On Mar 15, 9:59 pm, Kent Paul Dolan <xanth...@well.com> wrote:
> xanthian, with one of my best games in years underway
> (I'm now able to treat elementals as popcorn monsters),
> but lacking a source of reflection is making a YASD
> still the expected outcome.

Bit of an aside here... I've won several games without reflection.
It's nice to have but not necessary so long as you have the hit points
and are careful around black dragons.

Didn't you mention once that you've yet to win? Got my fingers
crossed for you. Congrats to JoaoSantos too.

- John H.

JoaoSantos

Mar 16, 2009, 6:19:38 AM3/16/09
On Mar 16, 12:41 am, rory <ror...@gmail.com> wrote:

> JoaoSantos wrote:
> > Solidsnail the Sorceress St:18 Dx:18 Co:16 In:20 Wi:20 Ch:16 Chaotic
> > Astral Plane $:2 HP:258(258) Pw:235(364) AC:-2 Exp:20 T:64060
>
> Damn, well done. Astral must've been pretty tough with AC
> -2

Actually, it was not all that though. I think I didn't even use the
protection Spell, which would have give me about another 10AC. I just
cast finger of death on pestilence and /oTeleported most obstacles
(remember folks, on Astral you don't have enemies, you have obstacles,
so use those wands).

> ...how many tries did it take for you to do this?
>

> --
> rory <3

Good question. On my log, I have a series of 13 tries. I have had some
tries before, but most of them were on this series.
My best previous attempt ended in fort ludios with a soldier wielding
a rubber chicken (and probably some Esc presses without confirming
history).
The 2nd best attempt was on this series, with getting lycanthropy
after getting MagicBane.

solidsnail

JoaoSantos

Mar 16, 2009, 6:22:45 AM3/16/09

Well, first of, I don't consider myself a 'sufficiently skilled
player', as I think that title belongs to those who can reliably
ascend in <~ 20K turns.
I don't ascend every time I reach the point where I have no excuse
to fail (which is tipically getting reflection and MR [actually, if
having ref, MR is not that important until reaching the castle]), and
sometimes I get pretty careless (lately I've been making even more
mistakes). I have, nonetheless, never died after getting the amulet,
and only once after waking rodney (on the sanctum, on a local
illiterate game).
I must admit, then, that most of my deaths are operator error, and not
the ones like the 'Troll with a wand of death on minetown' or 'the
black dragon shoots a desintegration blast from dark area on
mines-end, just at the limit of warning range, arg!'.

Good luck on that game in progress.

solidsnail

Michael Avery

Mar 16, 2009, 7:35:37 AM3/16/09
On Mar 16, 9:19 pm, JoaoSantos <joao.s.san...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 16, 12:41 am, rory <ror...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > JoaoSantos wrote:
> > > Solidsnail the Sorceress  St:18 Dx:18 Co:16 In:20 Wi:20 Ch:16  Chaotic
> > > Astral Plane $:2  HP:258(258) Pw:235(364) AC:-2 Exp:20 T:64060
>
> > Damn, well done.  Astral must've been pretty tough with AC
> > -2
>
> Actually, it was not all that though. I think I didn't even use the
> protection Spell, which would have give me about another 10AC. I just
> cast finger of death on pestilence and /oTeleported most obstacles
> (remember folks, on Astral you don't have enemies, you have obstacles,
> so use those wands).

Yeah, even without armour in the end you'll have your 200HP and sack
full of full healing potions so death by HP loss shouldn't be an
issue.

I see you didn't get crowned, were you tempted to go for Stormbringer?
In past armourless games I found having level drain resistance to be
most useful when facing V's and W's since they can cause a lot of
problems when you lack magic cancellation.

mikek...@googlemail.com

Mar 16, 2009, 9:13:33 AM3/16/09
On Mar 16, 7:51 am, John Harris <Joh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 9:59 pm, Kent Paul Dolan <xanth...@well.com> wrote:
>
> > xanthian, with one of my best games in years underway
> > (I'm now able to treat elementals as popcorn monsters),
> > but lacking a source of reflection is making a YASD
> > still the expected outcome.
>
> Bit of an aside here... I've won several games without reflection.
> It's nice to have but not necessary so long as you have the hit points
> and are careful around black dragons.

If you don't mind any wand, ring, scroll, or potion in your main
inventory being liable to be destroyed by bolts of lightning, cold,
fire, ...

JoaoSantos

Mar 16, 2009, 9:34:44 AM3/16/09
On Mar 16, 11:35 am, Michael Avery <mav...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

> I see you didn't get crowned, were you tempted to go for Stormbringer?
> In past armourless games I found having level drain resistance to be
> most useful when facing V's and W's since they can cause a lot of
> problems when you lack magic cancellation.

I usually avoid getting crowned so I can have more prayers. I could
have been crowned just before the ascention run, though, since you get
the demigod flag anyway. However, I didn't feel like going to the
spoilers to check the wizard case.
Earlier in the game I did sacrifice a bit to try to get stormy, but
having received other artifacts gifts I gave up and decided to carry
on with MagicBane.
As for V and W, I lost levels quite a few times, but generally there
was not a problem with E-word + magic missile. For the sanctum level,
I used ?oTel to be near the sanctum, and C!GL to get to get out.

solidsnail

David Damerell

Mar 16, 2009, 12:59:20 PM3/16/09
Quoting <mikek...@googlemail.com>:

>On Mar 16, 7:51=A0am, John Harris <Joh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Bit of an aside here... I've won several games without reflection.
>>It's nice to have but not necessary so long as you have the hit points
>>and are careful around black dragons.
>If you don't mind any wand, ring, scroll, or potion in your main
>inventory being liable to be destroyed by bolts of lightning, cold,
>fire, ...

Well, if I may temporarily pretend to be someone else, MC3 takes care of
most of that. You wouldn't keep any super-critical equipment of that
nature in main inventory unless you had spares, but beyond that, it should
be OK.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is First Brieday, March.

Link

Mar 16, 2009, 2:17:07 PM3/16/09
On Mar 16, 12:59 pm, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> Quoting   <mikekell...@googlemail.com>:
>
> >On Mar 16, 7:51=A0am, John Harris <Joh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>Bit of an aside here... I've won several games without reflection.
> >>It's nice to have but not necessary so long as you have the hit points
> >>and are careful around black dragons.
> >If you don't mind any wand, ring, scroll, or potion in your main
> >inventory being liable to be destroyed by bolts of lightning, cold,
> >fire, ...
>
> Well, if I may temporarily pretend to be someone else, MC3 takes care of
> most of that. You wouldn't keep any super-critical equipment of that
> nature in main inventory unless you had spares, but beyond that, it should
> be OK.

I didn't think MC3 protected against any of the bolts?

John Harris

Mar 16, 2009, 4:43:40 PM3/16/09
The key is just that, you're talking about main inventory. I keep
everything that I don't wear or need for emergency use in the bag of
holding.

- John H.

mikek...@googlemail.com

Mar 17, 2009, 6:35:09 PM3/17/09
On Mar 16, 4:59 pm, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> Quoting   <mikekell...@googlemail.com>:
>
> >On Mar 16, 7:51=A0am, John Harris <Joh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>Bit of an aside here... I've won several games without reflection.
> >>It's nice to have but not necessary so long as you have the hit points
> >>and are careful around black dragons.
> >If you don't mind any wand, ring, scroll, or potion in your main
> >inventory being liable to be destroyed by bolts of lightning, cold,
> >fire, ...
>
> Well, if I may temporarily pretend to be someone else, MC3 takes care of
> most of that.

No, it takes care of none of that.

mikek...@googlemail.com

Mar 17, 2009, 6:36:20 PM3/17/09
On Mar 16, 8:43 pm, John Harris <Joh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The key is just that, you're talking about main inventory.  I keep
> everything that I don't wear or need for emergency use in the bag of
> holding.

So you don't mind if your rings and emergency items are destroyed? Or
do you not use rings?

David Damerell

Mar 18, 2009, 10:45:06 AM3/18/09
Quoting <mikek...@googlemail.com>:
>On Mar 16, 4:59=A0pm, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>

>>Quoting =A0 <mikekell...@googlemail.com>:
>>>If you don't mind any wand, ring, scroll, or potion in your main
>>>inventory being liable to be destroyed by bolts of lightning, cold,
>>>fire, ...
>>Well, if I may temporarily pretend to be someone else, MC3 takes care of
>>most of that.
>No, it takes care of none of that.

Er... yes. It's a joke about the tendency to think MC3 helps with
everything from tight pants to death rays. On reflection, not a very good
one.

--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!

Today is First Chedday, March - a public holiday.

mikek...@googlemail.com

Mar 18, 2009, 2:56:52 PM3/18/09
On Mar 18, 2:45 pm, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> Quoting   <mikekell...@googlemail.com>:

> >>Well, if I may temporarily pretend to be someone else, MC3 takes care of
> >>most of that.
> >No, it takes care of none of that.
>
> Er... yes. It's a joke about the tendency to think MC3 helps with
> everything from tight pants to death rays. On reflection, not a very good
> one.

Oh, I see. People do actually believe things like that though, so it's
a bit hard to tell.