YAAP: Tara-Rog-Hum-Fem-Cha

1 view

Julie Bernstein

Apr 1, 2002, 1:48:40 AM4/1/02
One step closer to my goal of winnning with every character class. I
have finally ascended with one of my least favorites, the Rogue. (This
is version 3.3.1 for Mac OS X:)

Tara the Magswoman St:18/** Dx:22 Co:18 In:12 Wi:16 Ch:11 Chaotic
Astral Plane $:0 HP:191(191) Pw:127(127) AC:-37 Xp:27/70005460 T:92475

6151320 points, 3351 creatures vanquished, 21 species genocided.

Highlights (with some spoilers, I'm sure):

- Lots of bones piles, mostly from failed Rogue quests.

- Lots of wishes, from thrones, magic lamps, etc. Finished the game with
3 wishes left on the wand of wishing, after having used 8 wishes total.

- LOTS of altars, including at least three co-aligned sanctuaries. One
of which occurred between the Medusa level and the Valley of the Dead,
which I've never seen before...

- Ridiculous amount of luck finding random objects like a +3 cloak of
displacement and a +2 helm of telepathy.

- Decided NOT to use Stormie until I got to the Wizard's Tower. +5 Fire
Brand worked just fine, thank you. But after getting the Book from
Rodney, everything was fair game.

- Didn't burn a single amulet of life saving. Not encountering
Demogorgon or Pestilence at all definitely helped in that regard.

- The 1/2 physical damage from the Rogue artifact was VERY helpful -
otherwise, no way could I have stood up to the elementals on the plane
of air with less than 200 hit points.

- Mind-flayed three times, including one which brought my Int down to 3.
Fortunately, in any promising game, I always write down what the scroll
of identify is, since that's the first to go.

- Went a bit genocide-happy. Even considered genociding nymphs after one
stole my water-walking boots while I was over a pool of water.

Well, that takes care of all of the characters except for Monk. Time to
download 3.4, after some recovery time in "real life"...

- Julie

Julie Bernstein

Apr 1, 2002, 1:53:02 AM4/1/02
Forgot to mention that I also got incredibly lucky with the Rogue quest
(SPOILER):

My first try zapping a wand of digging landed me in the right place,
then after killing the Master Assasin I simply quaffed my cursed potion
of gain level (saved just for the occasion). I'd forgotten how nasty the
Rogue quest can be if you don't get lucky...

- Julie

In article <julie-04AB1B....@sea-read.news.verio.net>,

Wolfe

Apr 1, 2002, 2:22:35 AM4/1/02
On Mon, 01 Apr 2002 01:48:40 -0500, Julie Bernstein wrote:

> One step closer to my goal of winnning with every character class.

Congratulations! I always look with a bit of envy at people who have
ascended way more often than I...

> Tara the Magswoman St:18/** Dx:22 Co:18 In:12 Wi:16 Ch:11 Chaotic
> Astral Plane $:0 HP:191(191) Pw:127(127) AC:-37 Xp:27/70005460 T:92475

Boy, you were ugly! And dumb! I assume Tara did not spend much time spell
casting spells or consorting with foocubi? Sounds like a very
barbarian-style thrust-pointy-end-on-anything-that-moves ascension. I
love it.

> - LOTS of altars, including at least three co-aligned sanctuaries.

Hrm. On 3.3.1. So much for my theory of 3.4.0 being altar-happy. I still
think that my nine altars in fifteen dungeon levels ought to be some sort
of a record, though.

> - Went a bit genocide-happy. Even considered genociding nymphs after one
> stole my water-walking boots while I was over a pool of water.

ROFL. Sounds like a nice occasion for obscene language 8-)

Happy demigodesshood,

Wolfe, the envious one.

Field Marshall Stack

Apr 1, 2002, 2:31:24 AM4/1/02
In article <pan.2002.04.01.02....@yahoo.example.com>, Wolfe wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Apr 2002 01:48:40 -0500, Julie Bernstein wrote:
>
>> One step closer to my goal of winnning with every character class.
>
> Congratulations! I always look with a bit of envy at people who have
> ascended way more often than I...
>
>> Tara the Magswoman St:18/** Dx:22 Co:18 In:12 Wi:16 Ch:11 Chaotic
>> Astral Plane $:0 HP:191(191) Pw:127(127) AC:-37 Xp:27/70005460 T:92475
>
> Boy, you were ugly! And dumb!
[snip]

worst pickup line _ever_.

Wolfe

Apr 1, 2002, 3:20:45 AM4/1/02

LOL! ROTFLMAO! Yes, I will never actually try that one in an actual
pickup situation. 8-)

Wolfe, the happily-married-so-I-don't-need-more-pickup-lines one.

PS: Yes, I did actually laugh out loud. It prompted my wife to come
over and take a look, and promptly hitting me on the head for possibly
offending Julie. Ouch. Julie, just in case you were in the least bit
miffed, my wife insists I apologize for your Cha:11 and In:12. 8-)

Julie Bernstein

Apr 1, 2002, 8:05:37 PM4/1/02
Julie the Nethack Addict, who is much more interested in ascensions
than stats and points, does not take offense to your post.

Tara the Rogue, however, would like to point out that she became smart
enough to cast the Identify spell with 60% accuracy. She would then
like to ask you to repeat the remark about her comeliness while she is
wielding +5 Stormbringer with 18/** strength, all the better to
disembowel you with. ;)

- Julie

- - - - -

Jeff MacDonald

Apr 1, 2002, 4:50:32 PM4/1/02
In article <pan.2002.04.01.03....@yahoo.example.com>,
Wolfe wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Apr 2002 02:31:24 -0500, Field Marshall Stack wrote:
>
>> In article <pan.2002.04.01.02....@yahoo.example.com>,
>> Wolfe wrote:
>>> On Mon, 01 Apr 2002 01:48:40 -0500, Julie Bernstein wrote:
>>>
>>> Boy, you were ugly! And dumb!
>> [snip]
>>
> PS: Yes, I did actually laugh out loud. It prompted my wife to come
> over and take a look, and promptly hitting me on the head for possibly
> offending Julie. Ouch. Julie, just in case you were in the least bit
> miffed, my wife insists I apologize for your Cha:11 and In:12. 8-)
Which, by the way is actually slightly above average. Hardly ugly and
dumb.

--
-- thejeff --

You have no real enemies.

David Goldfarb

Apr 2, 2002, 3:12:53 AM4/2/02
In article <8nka8a...@127.0.0.1>,

Yes, but most characters who ascend have maxed out all stats, and
boosted some with magic. So compared to most demigods, Tara is
ugly and dumb.

--
David Goldfarb <*>| "You can't do only one thing."
gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu |
| -- John W. Campbell, Jr.
gold...@csua.berkeley.edu |

Wolfe

Apr 2, 2002, 10:35:59 AM4/2/02
On Tue, 02 Apr 2002 03:12:53 -0500, David Goldfarb wrote:

> In article <8nka8a...@127.0.0.1>, Jeff MacDonald
> <the...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>In article <pan.2002.04.01.03....@yahoo.example.com>,
>>Wolfe wrote:
>>> my wife insists I apologize for your Cha:11 and In:12. 8-)
>>Which, by the way is actually slightly above average. Hardly ugly and
>>dumb.
> Yes, but most characters who ascend have maxed out all stats, and
> boosted some with magic. So compared to most demigods, Tara is ugly and
> dumb.

My point exactly (though not trying to be offensive, honey!). Compare Tara
with my current ascendable, devilishly handsome, buff, agile, tough as an
oak and wicked smart monk, and see what I mean... 8-)

Torquemada the Student of Metals St:18/21 Dx:22 Co:18 In:22 Wi:22 Ch:18 Chaotic
Dlvl:23 $:135 HP:316(316) Pw:7(137) AC:-36 Xp:21/10034781 T:50702 Satiated

Wolfe the wicked smart (and devilishly handsome) one.

nyra

Apr 2, 2002, 11:46:15 AM4/2/02
Wolfe schrieb:

> On Tue, 02 Apr 2002 03:12:53 -0500, David Goldfarb wrote:
>
> > In article <8nka8a...@127.0.0.1>, Jeff MacDonald
> > <the...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >>Which, by the way is actually slightly above average. Hardly ugly and
> >>dumb.
> > Yes, but most characters who ascend have maxed out all stats, and
> > boosted some with magic. So compared to most demigods, Tara is ugly and
> > dumb.

Yeah, right.

Nadia the Burglar St:18/50 Dx:18 Co:21 In:11 Wi:16 Ch:7
Chaotic
Astral Plane $:0 HP:167(167) Pw:102(102) AC:-34 Xp:20/5229697
T:57181

And Nadia also has a +7 Stormbringer which would certainly make
_me_ think twice before calling her dumb.

> My point exactly (though not trying to be offensive, honey!). Compare Tara
> with my current ascendable, devilishly handsome, buff, agile, tough as an
> oak and wicked smart monk, and see what I mean... 8-)

You mean you've been overpreparing? ;)

> Torquemada the Student of Metals St:18/21 Dx:22 Co:18 In:22 Wi:22 Ch:18 Chaotic
> Dlvl:23 $:135 HP:316(316) Pw:7(137) AC:-36 Xp:21/10034781 T:50702 Satiated

Looks good. I wish you luck.

Julie Bernstein

Apr 2, 2002, 4:34:32 PM4/2/02
Oh, please - I wouldn't agree that most ascended characters have maxed
out all of their stats. Str/Dex/Con, sure, and maybe Int/Wis for the
spellcasters, but Cha just isn't necessary to win. I used to try to
max out stats on my characters too, but I decided that it just wasn't
my playing style. Nor is trying to get a bazillion points. My highest
score is in the 8.5 million range. It just becomes too much work after
awhile trying to eek out that last point of Charisma, or polypiling to
get a stack of dilithium crystals, or whatever.

To each her own... remember that some beginners believe that it is
impossible to win this game at all without cheating, much less trying
to get all perfect stats, 10 million points and a -56 armor class.

I just want to win with all the classes. Then once I do that, I still
need to explore the races. (I did win with Elf when Elf was a class,
but have only ascended with humans since the races were put in.)

- Julie (happy to be "average")

Nathan Moore

Apr 2, 2002, 4:51:22 PM4/2/02

"Julie Bernstein" <ju...@enyadatta.com> wrote in message

> Oh, please - I wouldn't agree that most ascended characters have
maxed
> out all of their stats. Str/Dex/Con, sure, and maybe Int/Wis for the
> spellcasters, but Cha just isn't necessary to win. I used to try to
> max out stats on my characters too, but I decided that it just
wasn't
> my playing style. Nor is trying to get a bazillion points. My
highest
> score is in the 8.5 million range. It just becomes too much work
after
> awhile trying to eek out that last point of Charisma, or polypiling
> get a stack of dilithium crystals, or whatever.

Aside from top posting, you miss the point. Most folks may exercise
their stats, and/or use blessed gain ability. Gain ability doesn't
discriminate, so every stat gets a boost. The point being, for some
"wimpy" chars (spell casters), that extra point of str or con makes
the difference between burdened and un burdened, and most players wait
and bless the potions. Even late in the game that makes a difference.
If you're lugging your bBoH around and are burdened, you want to avoid
that.

Do most folks go around trying to max all their stats ? Probably not
(int and cha being the hardest.. I recall some folks continually
entering magic traps to boost cha, but few do). Further, I'd argue
most folks don't try to boost their score. I'd say a score in the 8.5
million range is actually quite high for most folks here. 3.5-5.5
million is the "average" as I recall from the /dev/null tourney (if
you ignore the obvious attempts for "highest score"). Once I'm about
to enter the plains, I dump all the crap I've got in my BoH and get on
with it.

I said all that to say, maxed out stats is often a byproduct of good
char development, not a "goal" of every player. It just seems to
happen, and I doubt people obsess over it.

Nathan

Tina Hall

Apr 2, 2002, 11:17:00 PM4/2/02
Nathan Moore wrote:
> "Julie Bernstein" <ju...@enyadatta.com> wrote in message

>> Oh, please - I wouldn't agree that most ascended characters
>> have maxed out all of their stats. Str/Dex/Con, sure, and
>> maybe Int/Wis for the spellcasters, but Cha just isn't

>> necessary to win. [...]

> Aside from top posting, you miss the point. Most folks may

> exercise their stats, and/or use blessed gain ability. [...]

I agree.

> Do most folks go around trying to max all their stats ?
> Probably not (int and cha being the hardest.. I recall some
> folks continually entering magic traps to boost cha, but few
> do).

The Cha's just a side effect whenever I sit on magic traps, what
I want is some interesting pets and/or the mana. That's usually
too tiresome, though.

> Further, I'd argue most folks don't try to boost their
> score. I'd say a score in the 8.5 million range is actually
> quite high for most folks here. 3.5-5.5 million is the
> "average" as I recall from the /dev/null tourney (if you
> ignore the obvious attempts for "highest score"). Once I'm
> about to enter the plains, I dump all the crap I've got in my
> BoH and get on with it.

Same here. IMAO, the score is pretty much meaningless as it is
calculated now, in regard to difficulty of a given game, a lower
score is more 'impressive' than some over the top score
(excempting extinctionists, they can hardly evade that), and
that's the only thing any score can tell me in its current form.
I'm more happy with a low score (but wouldn't try to force that
by deliberately dropping anything valuable just before offering
the Amulet).

--
Inventory:
R - the blessed greased rustproof +7 tinning kit (weapon in hand)

Julie Bernstein

Apr 3, 2002, 3:02:09 AM4/3/02
I totally agree about maxing out strength and constitution. Though I
normally accomplish the former with spinach/tinned giants/royal
jelly/gauntlets rather than potions. I don't want to use up holy water
blessing potions of gain ability.

What I was specifically arguing against was those who do insist on
maxing out ALL stats, especially charisma. I mean, besides getting
better deals in shops early in the game when you may not have much $,
who really cares? And Int is great for some characters, but when I'm
playing stronger types all I really want to be able to cast is
Identify.

And as far as dancing with foocubi (as was suggested in an earlier
post), once an incubus forced me to put on a cursed -2 ring of
adornment, so screw that...

- Julie

David Damerell

Apr 3, 2002, 8:15:23 AM4/3/02
Julie Bernstein <ju...@enyadatta.com> wrote:
>I totally agree about maxing out strength and constitution. Though I
>normally accomplish the former with spinach/tinned giants/royal
>jelly/gauntlets rather than potions. I don't want to use up holy water
>blessing potions of gain ability.

Please don't top-post.

It's only one potion of holy water, since it's hardly worth drinking
uncursed gain ability (and hence you may as well save them until you have
a stack.)

>What I was specifically arguing against was those who do insist on
>maxing out ALL stats, especially charisma. I mean, besides getting
>better deals in shops early in the game when you may not have much $,
>who really cares?

In my last ascension I got 7 levels off one incubus. I always scum magic
traps for Cha once I'm tough enough to deal with the other consequences.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?