Bug: player jabberwock can hit monsters with a cockatrice but won't stone them

TJR

Jul 24, 2011, 12:20:37 PM7/24/11
A player polymorphed into any jabberwock, adult dragon, or (if they
can wield things) a raven or a crocodile can hit monsters with a
wielded crocodile corpse, but monsters will not turn to stone despite
a message about scoring a hit.

Thanks to ais523 for figuring out the exact conditions.

Banana Jones

Jul 24, 2011, 10:53:48 PM7/24/11

You must be an avenging evangelists You can wield a cockatrice corpse
to good effect, but it has its thrilling double-edged sword. Nice

Banana Jones

Jul 24, 2011, 10:50:00 PM7/24/11
On Jul 24, 10:20 am, TJR <tilmina...@googlemail.com> wrote:

I nevah heard of wielding crocodile corpses. Do you think they are
better than scimitars?

TJR

Jul 25, 2011, 1:26:07 PM7/25/11

Err, cockatrice corpse. This bug also applies to wielding the bell of
opening for silver damage.

Pat Rankin

Jul 25, 2011, 8:47:40 PM7/25/11

A claw attack will be converted into a weapon attack for poly'd
player character, but only when it is the monster form's first attack.
Those monsters start with bite attacks; their claw attacks come later
so don't use any wielded weapon. However, of the monsters you listed,
only jabberwock can actually wield anything; the others are
irrelevant.
Allowing jabberwocks to wear gloves and wield weapons (or corpses)
seems like a bigger bug than the purely hypothetical one that dragons
who hit with cockatrice corpses won't petrify their targets.

TJR

Jul 25, 2011, 9:43:49 PM7/25/11
On 26 Jul., 02:47, Pat Rankin <r.pat.ran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Allowing jabberwocks to wear gloves and wield weapons (or corpses)
> seems like a bigger bug than the purely hypothetical one that dragons
> who hit with cockatrice corpses won't petrify their targets.

In that sense the bug is partially "fixed" because those objects will
never do their specials.

I haven't checked how wepaon enchantment enters damage when
polymorphed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be weird.