Shop help

Dave Hammond

Sep 18, 2004, 1:41:10 PM9/18/04
Ok...I'm a noob...but whenever i go into a shop, the shopkeeper seems to
block my way and I end up with goods I dont want. I f I put these back on
the floor, have I still bought them? and how do I get back out of the shop
when he is blocking my way?

--
Find the best links to UK PC bargain pages.

www.daveham.plus.com

Haakon Studebaker

Sep 18, 2004, 2:08:00 PM9/18/04
"Dave Hammond" <davidj...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Ok...I'm a noob...but whenever i go into a shop, the shopkeeper seems
> to block my way and I end up with goods I dont want. I f I put these
> back on the floor, have I still bought them? and how do I get back out
> of the shop when he is blocking my way?

Just drop the items you have not paid for and the shopkeeper will move out
of your way.

Eventually.

The shopkeeper seems to only block the door if you turn invisible in the
shop, lousy potions, and if you're carrying items that you haven't paid for
just yet. I have had the displeasure of a shopkeeper blocking my way when I
haven't met that criteria and wasting many turns waiting to see if he's
going to move.

Too bad there isn't a way to #chat with him to say "excuse me".

Ulrich Eckhardt

Sep 18, 2004, 2:13:48 PM9/18/04
Dave Hammond wrote:
> Ok...I'm a noob...but whenever i go into a shop, the shopkeeper seems to
> block my way

They don't, only when you still have a bill open.

> and I end up with goods I dont want.

Huh? Type Shift-O and adjust the autopickup types to only be $(money), that
will help. Alternatively, adjust your setup-file accordingly.

> I f I put these back on the floor, have I still bought them?

No, you only buy things by explicitly paying for them. Try Shift-D and then
U for a list of all unpaid items.

Uli

Raisse the Thaumaturge

Sep 18, 2004, 2:27:30 PM9/18/04
On Saturday 18 September 2004 20:13 Ulrich Eckhardt (doom...@knuut.de)
wrote:

> Dave Hammond wrote:
>> Ok...I'm a noob...but whenever i go into a shop, the shopkeeper seems
>> to block my way
>
> They don't, only when you still have a bill open.

Or you're invisible (going in or out), or carrying a mattock or pick-axe
(only going in, IIRC).

Raisse, killed by Ms. Manlobbi, the shopkeeper

--
ir...@valdyas.org    LegoHack: http://www.valdyas.org/irina/nethack/
Status of Raisse (piously neutral):  Level 8  HP 63(67)  AC -3, fast.

Chris

Sep 18, 2004, 3:54:20 PM9/18/04
> Too bad there isn't a way to #chat with him to say "excuse me".

lol, just let him talk to your wand of lightning. :-)

-chris

Tosta Dojen

Sep 19, 2004, 6:14:10 PM9/19/04
Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> On Saturday 18 September 2004 20:13 Ulrich Eckhardt (doom...@knuut.de)
> wrote:
>

>>Dave Hammond wrote:
>>
>>>Ok...I'm a noob...but whenever i go into a shop, the shopkeeper seems
>>>to block my way
>>
>>They don't, only when you still have a bill open.
>

> Or you're invisible (going in or out), or carrying a mattock or pick-axe
> (only going in, IIRC).
>
> Raisse, killed by Ms. Manlobbi, the shopkeeper

Or when you're riding a steed (going in or out)

David Damerell

Sep 21, 2004, 5:54:16 AM9/21/04
Ulrich Eckhardt <doom...@knuut.de> wrote:

>Dave Hammond wrote:
>>and I end up with goods I dont want.
>Huh? Type Shift-O and adjust the autopickup types to only be $(money), that
>will help. Alternatively, adjust your setup-file accordingly.

Er, no; much better to toggle autopickup off with @ in shops, and not lose
the use of it outside.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!

G. S. Hayes

Sep 21, 2004, 11:47:24 AM9/21/04
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message news:<8Pg*s6...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>...

> Ulrich Eckhardt <doom...@knuut.de> wrote:
> >Huh? Type Shift-O and adjust the autopickup types to only be $(money), that
> >will help. Alternatively, adjust your setup-file accordingly.
> Er, no; much better to toggle autopickup off with @ in shops, and not lose
> the use of it outside.

Autopickup is dangerous, if you leave it on you're liable to find
yourself burdened (or worse) at very inopportune times. I don't
understand why the default is such a useless setting; I do exactly
what Ulrich said, adjust it to $-only.

Robert R Schneck

Sep 21, 2004, 11:59:47 AM9/21/04

More useful is to use the pickup_burden option. I use `U'; `B' would be
reasonable; the default of `S' is unfortunate.

Robert

G. S. Hayes

Sep 22, 2004, 12:55:12 AM9/22/04
Robert R Schneck <sch...@math.berkeley.edu> wrote in message news:<TdY3d.523$Zx3....@petpeeve.ziplink.net>...

> More useful is to use the pickup_burden option. I use `U'; `B' would be

> reasonable; the default of `S' is unfortunate.

That is at least safe, though I still find it annoying to be picking
up rocks, corpses, boxes, extra orcish helms, etc that I don't want to
be carrying, or to pick up things before I have time to let my pet
wander over them. Much easier to explicitly pick up the things I do
want at the time that I want to (for me anyway).

Vorg the Sapient

Sep 22, 2004, 1:06:39 AM9/22/04
G. S. Hayes wrote:

>>More useful is to use the pickup_burden option. I use `U'; `B' would be
>>
>>reasonable; the default of `S' is unfortunate.
>
>That is at least safe, though I still find it annoying to be picking
>up rocks, corpses, boxes, extra orcish helms, etc that I don't want to
>be carrying, or to pick up things before I have time to let my pet
>wander over them. Much easier to explicitly pick up the things I do
>want at the time that I want to (for me anyway).

You use the two methods in conjunction. I usually have autopickup on
for things like scrolls, potions and wands in particular, to avoid
having this stuff used against me; and it's useful for retrieving a
wand or a thrown dagger when, say, you kill a hobgoblin in a throne
room and then step onto its tile -- there's situations in which you
don't want or can't afford to waste a turn picking objects up manually.
But I always keep pickup_burden set to U and toggle autopickup off and
on situationally.

Vorg

Robert R Schneck

Sep 22, 2004, 1:10:28 AM9/22/04
G. S. Hayes <sjde...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Robert R Schneck <sch...@math.berkeley.edu> wrote
>> More useful is to use the pickup_burden option. I use `U'; `B' would be
>> reasonable; the default of `S' is unfortunate.
>
> That is at least safe, though I still find it annoying to be picking
> up rocks, corpses, boxes, extra orcish helms, etc that I don't want to
> be carrying, or to pick up things before I have time to let my pet
> wander over them. Much easier to explicitly pick up the things I do
> want at the time that I want to (for me anyway).

You want
OPTIONS=pickup_types:$"?+!=/

You could use autopickup_exception to handle )[%(*, if you want to get
fancy.

All this has the benefit of requiring fewer actual game turns to pick
useful stuff up.

Robert

Boudewijn Waijers

Sep 22, 2004, 3:45:40 AM9/22/04
Robert R Schneck wrote:

> You want OPTIONS=pickup_types:$"?+!=/

Only when playing a spellcaster. If you're not, use &"?!=/
Spellbooks are heavy, and useless for non-spellcasters.

> You could use autopickup_exception to handle )[%(*, if you want to get
> fancy.

My exceptions (permission granted to cut and paste them into your
.nethackoptions or defaults.nh file):

# Autopickup everything but weapons, boulders, and chains:
OPTIONS=autopickup,pickup_types:$"=/!?+(*%[
# Pick up all tools except the heavy ones:
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*chest*"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*box*"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*orb"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*crystal ball"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*grease*"
# Pick up all stones except the following:
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*grey stone"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*gray stone"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*loadstone"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*rock"
# Pick up all food except corpses:
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*corpse"
# Pick up all armour that's not too heavy; you could opt to include
# shields here as well, or leave armour out of autopickup entirely
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*mail"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*armor"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*armour"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*tanko"
# No autopickup for weapons, except for the "stackable" ones; the
# heavy stackables like lances are not mentioned here:
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<*dagger"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<*dart"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<*spear"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<*bolt"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<*arrow"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<*ya"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<*scalpel"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<*shuriken"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<*throwing star"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<*knife"
# Just in case...
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<*athame"
# Pick up named items in general
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<the *"
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<The *"
# Pick up known blessed items (priests may remove this line if they
# feel they're picking up too much):
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<*blessed*"
# I name my ammo "Quiver", for autopickup, so even when I remove the
# above lines for stackable weapons, those are still picked up:
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<*Quiver*"

While the game moves on, you may want to gradually exclude more item
classes from the autopickup line at the start.

Hope this helps!

--
Boudewijn Waijers (bwaijers at home.nl).

If you'll a willing ear incline,
what's mine is yours
and what is yours is mine. - Shakespeare, measure for measure.

Vorg the Sapient

Sep 22, 2004, 4:49:05 AM9/22/04
Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>My exceptions (permission granted to cut and paste them into your
>.nethackoptions or defaults.nh file):
>

>[snip exceptions]

>While the game moves on, you may want to gradually exclude more item
>classes from the autopickup line at the start.
>
>Hope this helps!

That's excellent, thanks. Been meaning to redo my defaults properly
for a while, you saved me a bit of time.

Vorg

Jakob Creutzig

Sep 22, 2004, 5:00:41 AM9/22/04
"Boudewijn Waijers" <kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

> Robert R Schneck wrote:
>
> > You want OPTIONS=pickup_types:$"?+!=/
>
> Only when playing a spellcaster. If you're not, use &"?!=/
> Spellbooks are heavy, and useless for non-spellcasters.

In early game, they can be useful for fast cash.

Best,
Jakob

Kevin Wayne

Sep 22, 2004, 7:28:16 AM9/22/04
Quoth Ulrich Eckhardt in the annals of <2r3c22F...@uni-berlin.de>

> Dave Hammond wrote:
> > Ok...I'm a noob...but whenever i go into a shop, the shopkeeper seems to
> > block my way
>
> They don't, only when you still have a bill open.
>
> > and I end up with goods I dont want.
>
> Huh? Type Shift-O and adjust the autopickup types to only be $(money), that
> will help. Alternatively, adjust your setup-file accordingly.

Or simply type @ when entering a shop, to turn autopickup off, and do the
same thing when leaving to turn it back on.

> > I f I put these back on the floor, have I still bought them?
>
> No, you only buy things by explicitly paying for them. Try Shift-D and then
> U for a list of all unpaid items.

And the $ key will quickly tell you if you owe any money to the
shopkeeper.

--
Kevin Wayne

"I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"Waters? What waters? We're in the desert!"
"I was misinformed."

David Damerell

Sep 22, 2004, 8:09:41 AM9/22/04
G. S. Hayes <sjde...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Robert R Schneck <sch...@math.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>>More useful is to use the pickup_burden option. I use `U'; `B' would be
>>reasonable; the default of `S' is unfortunate.
>That is at least safe, though I still find it annoying to be picking
>up rocks, corpses, boxes, extra orcish helms, etc

So set a sane pickup_types. I use "!$?=/ in the early game and gradually
trim it as various classes of item become less useful. You can even mess
with the pickup exceptions, but I've not felt the need yet.

David Damerell

Sep 22, 2004, 8:08:17 AM9/22/04
G. S. Hayes <sjde...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>Er, no; much better to toggle autopickup off with @ in shops, and not lose
>>the use of it outside.
>Autopickup is dangerous, if you leave it on you're liable to find
>yourself burdened (or worse) at very inopportune times.

This was true before the introduction of the pickup_burden option (when
the implicit value could seriously screw things up) but it is not true
now.

David Gale

Sep 22, 2004, 9:55:27 AM9/22/04
"Boudewijn Waijers" <kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
> My exceptions (permission granted to cut and paste them into your
> .nethackoptions or defaults.nh file):

<snip>

> # Pick up all stones except the following:
> AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*grey stone"
> AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*gray stone"
> AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*loadstone"
> AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*rock"

Nice list; one thing I'd add would be:
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*of glass"

I may just have to end up stealing this...:-)

Boudewijn Waijers

Sep 22, 2004, 11:46:23 AM9/22/04
David Gale wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

>> My exceptions (permission granted to cut and paste them into your
>> .nethackoptions or defaults.nh file):

>> # Pick up all stones except the following:

>> AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*grey stone"
>> AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*gray stone"
>> AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*loadstone"
>> AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*rock"

> Nice list; one thing I'd add would be:
> AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*of glass"

I sometimes like to pick those up as well, for later polymorphing. It's
not as if they weigh very much, so there's little harm in carrying them
with you. They may even function as cursecatchers.

> I may just have to end up stealing this... :-)

It's not stealing. I explicitly granted permission to cut and paste them
into your .nethackoptions or defaults.nh file. :-)

--
Boudewijn Waijers (bwaijers at home.nl).

Men think about sex about once every seven seconds,
leaving only 6 seconds for football.
- Jo Brand, British stand-up comedienne.

Robert R Schneck

Sep 22, 2004, 12:45:17 PM9/22/04
Boudewijn Waijers <kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
> My exceptions (permission granted to cut and paste them into your
> .nethackoptions or defaults.nh file):
[...]

> # Pick up all food except corpses:
> AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*corpse"

I recommend the following, which also picks up lizard and lichen
corpses:

autopickup_exception=">*f*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*g*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*j*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*k*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*m*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*o*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*p*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*q*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*t*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*v*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*w*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*x*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*y*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*nurse corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*barbarian corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*healer corpse*"

Robert

Richard Bos

Sep 22, 2004, 2:44:07 PM9/22/04
"Boudewijn Waijers" <kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

> Robert R Schneck wrote:
>
> > You want OPTIONS=pickup_types:$"?+!=/
>
> Only when playing a spellcaster. If you're not, use &"?!=/
> Spellbooks are heavy, and useless for non-spellcasters.

I even exclude + for spellcasters, as well. They are generally not very
strong; and you don't need to carry your spellbook with you to be able
to use the spell, unlike scrolls and so forth.

Richard

Boudewijn Waijers

Sep 23, 2004, 12:14:57 AM9/23/04
Robert R Schneck wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers <kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

>> AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION=">*corpse"

> I recommend the following, which also picks up lizard and lichen
> corpses:

> autopickup_exception=">*f*corpse*"
> autopickup_exception=">*g*corpse*"
> autopickup_exception=">*j*corpse*"
> autopickup_exception=">*k*corpse*"
> autopickup_exception=">*m*corpse*"
> autopickup_exception=">*o*corpse*"
> autopickup_exception=">*p*corpse*"
> autopickup_exception=">*q*corpse*"
> autopickup_exception=">*t*corpse*"
> autopickup_exception=">*v*corpse*"
> autopickup_exception=">*w*corpse*"
> autopickup_exception=">*x*corpse*"
> autopickup_exception=">*y*corpse*"
> autopickup_exception=">*nurse corpse*"
> autopickup_exception=">*barbarian corpse*"
> autopickup_exception=">*healer corpse*"

Why not:

autopickup_exception=">*b*corpse*"

autopickup_exception=">*f*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*g*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*j*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*k*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*m*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*o*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*p*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*q*corpse*"

autopickup_exception=">*s*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*t*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*u*corpse*"

autopickup_exception=">*v*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*w*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*x*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*y*corpse*"

autopickup_exception=">*healer corpse*"

Adding b, s and u will take care of the nurse and barbarian. Granted, my
solution is one line more, but I think it's clearer.

Any idea how many more exceptions like the healer you would get if you
also wanted to pick up floating eye corpses?

It would start something like this:

autopickup_exception=">*b*corpse*"

autopickup_exception=">*j*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*k*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*m*corpse*"

autopickup_exception=">*p*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*q*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*s*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*u*corpse*"

autopickup_exception=">*v*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*w*corpse*"
autopickup_exception=">*x*corpse*"

autopickup_exception=">*healer corpse*"

But I'm afraid there'd be many more exceptions, since there are probably
a lot of other monsters names you can make with the letters
"acdefghilnortyz", apart from "healer"...

--
Boudewijn Waijers (bwaijers at home.nl).

Men think about sex about once every seven seconds,

Boudewijn Waijers

Sep 23, 2004, 12:16:11 AM9/23/04
Richard Bos wrote:

> "Boudewijn Waijers" wrote:
>> Robert R Schneck wrote:

>>> You want OPTIONS=pickup_types:$"?+!=/

>> Only when playing a spellcaster. If you're not, use &"?!=/
>> Spellbooks are heavy, and useless for non-spellcasters.

> I even exclude + for spellcasters, as well. They are generally not
> very strong; and you don't need to carry your spellbook with you to
> be able to use the spell, unlike scrolls and so forth.

But you must pick them up to read them the first time, don't you? After
the autopickup and reading them, it's ok to drop them again.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (bwaijers at home.nl).

Men think about sex about once every seven seconds,

Robert R Schneck

Sep 23, 2004, 2:07:00 AM9/23/04
Boudewijn Waijers <kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
> Robert R Schneck wrote:
>> I recommend the following, which also picks up lizard and lichen
>> corpses:
>
>> autopickup_exception=">*f*corpse*"
[etc]

> Adding b, s and u will take care of the nurse and barbarian. Granted, my
> solution is one line more, but I think it's clearer.

Unfortunately, you won't pick up "an uncursed lizard corpse".
Similarly for blessed.

> Any idea how many more exceptions like the healer you would get if you
> also wanted to pick up floating eye corpses?

I believe 45, or 92 if you want to handle buc-ided corpses. At that
rate you'd do much better with a strategy based on the first letter of
the corpse type, rather than just using a letter it contains.

Challenge: algorithm for finding a minimal set of autopickup_exceptions
for a given set of corpses. (You might want to add wraiths at least,
perhaps even newts, who knows what.)

It seems to me the only benefit of adding floating eye corpses is saving
a turn when you've killed a floating eye, don't have time to eat it
yourself, and your pet is nearby. That is useful enough, I suppose, but
I wonder if it would get annoying later when you don't care about
floating eye corpses any more.

Robert

Richard Bos

Sep 23, 2004, 4:08:43 PM9/23/04
"Boudewijn Waijers" <kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

> Richard Bos wrote:

> >> Only when playing a spellcaster. If you're not, use &"?!=/
> >> Spellbooks are heavy, and useless for non-spellcasters.
>
> > I even exclude + for spellcasters, as well. They are generally not
> > very strong; and you don't need to carry your spellbook with you to
> > be able to use the spell, unlike scrolls and so forth.
>
> But you must pick them up to read them the first time, don't you? After
> the autopickup and reading them, it's ok to drop them again.

Yes. However, you don't want to be picking up _all_ (usually three or
four, IME) spellbooks of force bolt that you find lying about the
dungeon, not until you're ready to go polypiling; nor do you want to
have to step around them all the time. Well, I don't, anyway.

Richard