PATCH: Randomly generated Minetowns and more! (version 1)

May 12, 2006, 6:24:11 AM5/12/06
For your edification, here's the first fruit borne of my delving into
the recesses of NetHack Brass (of which I have discussed a fair bit):

<<< http://www.greyfire.org/~l/mklev.diff >>>

Here's the improvements you can expect from this patch:

* Behold! Randomly generated Minetowns and Tourist quest filler levels!
Note: this patch disables the pre-made Minetowns for the version being.
* I've also been able to apply several tweaks to the town generator
such that it can also create a different type of main dungeon floor
map! You'll see those one time in three.
* Cavernous maps should now have a third terrain type specified. This
can be used to create, among other things, a magma-filled cave (in the
Valkyrie quest) or clusters of trees (in the Knight and Ranger quests)
* Big Room generation has been altered. Each floor below level 9 and
above Medusa has a one in 38 chance of being a Big Room.
* I threw in my Wallified Corridors patch because it seemed to fit in.
Disable it by #undefining WALLIFIED_CORRIDORS in config.h.
* Rivers (different from Pasi's rivers) are implemented but currently
unused. Maybe in next version!

Mention bugs if any!

John H.

May 12, 2006, 5:16:50 PM5/12/06
L wrote:
> For your edification, here's the first fruit borne of my delving into
> the recesses of NetHack Brass (of which I have discussed a fair bit):
>
> <<< http://www.greyfire.org/~l/mklev.diff >>>

If this works out well, then this is could be unquestionably
awesome....

- John H.

Pasi Kallinen

May 12, 2006, 7:10:41 PM5/12/06

At least when I tested the earlier (slightly buggy) version, those
minetowns were very nice. Though I wished it would occasionally
generate roads wider than 1 mapgrid...

Btw, L, wouldn't it be better to split the stuff not related to the
random town generation into another patch? This is like a miniature
patchhack as it is =)

That would make the patch smaller, and easier to see what it does.
And it would probably make integrating it into vanilla easier for
the devteam.

--
Pasi Kallinen
pa...@alt.org

May 13, 2006, 2:55:17 AM5/13/06
>Though I wished it would occasionally
>generate roads wider than 1 mapgrid...

That's one of the new abilities of this v1 release. Although,
originally I only used the two-square roads for the dungeon map
generating thing. As of this post, they can show up in towns as well.

And now! To embellish the patch further, some sample screen snaps:

-------------------- ---------------
------ | | | |----
|i|-----| | | | <| | |------- --- | | || | | | h |
| . | . . . ^F| | | . : | . || . | | -------r|
| | {|k |---| ------- | . | --- --+---.| -- -------- | |r|----
| ---.--- | | | | | | | | | | | ZZ | | || |
----------| | | | | x -.--| | | >|-------- -| | |
| | | | | | | | | | | | || | | |
| | | ----- | |-------- | | | ----.------ |
| | | | :| | | |^ | | @ |
---------- ------------ --- ---- ---------------
| |
---

Above is one of the dungeon levels that the town generator (with minor
tweaks) can make.
--- ---------- -------- ----
|---| ........|---| |--| s @
| |---.......| | | |Z@
- | |h)|.......| )+ | | i b
| ! | |...........@ @ | | |
- -+---G| |.........------ |@_ | |
| | | |...G.....|+@++| | | |
- | | ---+--...@.....| | | | |
-.-----................---+-- ------ |
.....(u.--+-...-----..........G |
..--+-- | |. |== + ------- ----- -
| | |G|(@| |="@| | | | |
| ----- |((| |m= | ------- | |
| ---- ----- -----
| |
-------------------------------------|
Above is a cropped section showing a randomly generated Minetown.
------------ ---------------
--- | }}}}}}}}}| | |- }}}}}}}}}|
| }}}}}}}} }|x ^ |} ------ }--.- |} | . } |
---------------- O@.a ----.-} }}}}}}} } |} | U | } |q
| }}}}}}}}| { | }---f---- } -----|} ------- } |
| qq + | }| `| -------------------- |} }}}}}}} } |
| }-----} | | }| | |} --
|u}| |} | | }| | ------------
| }| |} ------ }|---- ----
| }| |} }}}}}} }| |
| }| |} |--
| }| ------------
|C}|
| }|
|} |
----
Above is a cropped section illustrating two things: firstly, a dungeon
level with a two-square-thick corridor, and secondly, a hitherto
undocumented feature: that on rare occasions such dungeon levels (level
15 and below) may have channels of water arranged in the
two-square-thick corridor like so. The channels contain kelp (good if
you have a grappling hook) but not sea monsters.

Sammiel

May 13, 2006, 7:06:46 AM5/13/06
L wrote:

> The channels contain kelp (good if
> you have a grappling hook) but not sea monsters.

Although I lack the ability to try it out, your patch looks brilliant.
In fact pretty much all of your patches are very nicely thought out. I
would expect many of them to make it into the next official version,
but since that seems to be MIA, any chance of combining them all into
one big superpatch and giving us 3.4.3L? :)

One more request related to this post though: how hard would it be to
create a patch that enabled randomly generated sea monsters? Say, if
(XPlvl+Dlvl)/2 > 20 ?

Sam

Janis Papanagnou

May 13, 2006, 9:39:50 AM5/13/06
L wrote:

> And now! To embellish the patch further, some sample screen snaps:

Very nice! I always wanted to see more dynamic maps in Nethack.
Hope they make it into Vanilla.

Janis

Jym

May 13, 2006, 4:14:50 PM5/13/06
On Sat, 13 May 2006 13:06:46 +0200, Sammiel <lowr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One more request related to this post though: how hard would it be to
> create a patch that enabled randomly generated sea monsters? Say, if
> (XPlvl+Dlvl)/2 > 20 ?

This:
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002/random-eels.txt

is supposed to do the work.

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

dogscoff

May 15, 2006, 4:30:30 AM5/15/06
Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> L wrote:
> > [a map-generation patch]

Looks like another fantastic patch, L, well done.

> > And now! To embellish the patch further, some sample screen snaps:
>
> Very nice! I always wanted to see more dynamic maps in Nethack.
> Hope they make it into Vanilla.

A map-patch I'd love to see would be one that generates the occasional
L-shaped room, and/or rooms without corridors in-between (ie two rooms
sharing a wall in the main dungeon). I guess L's latest patch does
actually achieve the second of these.

John H.

May 15, 2006, 4:33:38 AM5/15/06
dogscoff wrote:
> A map-patch I'd love to see would be one that generates the occasional
> L-shaped room, and/or rooms without corridors in-between (ie two rooms
> sharing a wall in the main dungeon). [...]

Seconded.

- John H.