YASQ: Yeenoghu

Tim Espasandin

Apr 6, 2001, 5:56:02 PM4/6/01
How powerful do I want to be before I attack Yeenoghu? I just accidentally
summoned him, and although he's peaceful, I'd still like to bump him off.
I'm playing a barbarian, and I don't have access to any spells (he's really
dumb), so what exactly would I be best off using against him? It's pretty
early in the game, and I plan on coming back for him when I'm properly
equipped.

Tim Espasandin

Apr 6, 2001, 6:45:13 PM4/6/01

"Tim Espasandin" <tespas...@home.com> wrote in message

Hmm... here's a thought. I have a ring of conflict and a chickatrice. If I
use conflict, can Yeenoghu be goaded into smacking my chick? Is this a
really bad idea?

Jonathan Ellis

Apr 6, 2001, 6:58:08 PM4/6/01

Tim Espasandin wrote in message ...
You will want any of the following:
(a) magic resistance (this is VITAL, he may summon stuff at you, and
that summoned stuff might summon other stuff, and some creatures can do
the Touch of Death.)
(b) a means to engrave the name of Elbereth in one turn is convenient,
though not necessary, for the same reason - if you get surrounded by
nasties and don't want them to attack you. Reflection is also nice.
(c) to be standing on or near the up stairs when you anger him, so as to
make sure you get there first when he tried to teleport away from you
when low on hit points.

OR, alternatively:

(a) One pair of gloves, of any kind, and make sure you are actually
wearing them and there are no succubi/incubi around that might take them
off for you, or nymphs that might steal them.

(b) A cockatrice corpse, fresh and wielded. You only need to hit him
once with it, and that way he doesn't get the chance to summon anything.
However, you have killed a "peaceful" creature if you do it this way,
rather than the lesser penalty of angering a peaceful creature before
killing a hostile one. (Not that penalties are exactly big for a chaotic
character killing peaceful monsters, in fact I'm not sure there even
*are* any.)

Jonathan.

Nathan F Russell

Apr 6, 2001, 8:21:53 PM4/6/01
"Tim Espasandin" <tespas...@home.com> wrote:

>Hmm... here's a thought. I have a ring of conflict and a chickatrice. If I
>use conflict, can Yeenoghu be goaded into smacking my chick? Is this a
>really bad idea?

Well, I don't know of any idea why that wouldn't work. HOWEVER,
Yeenoghu would immediately teleport next to you and attack you. The
question is whether you can take that until he decides to attack the
chickatrice (which isn't something I can judge, having never fought
him).

Nathan

Ray Chason

Apr 6, 2001, 8:46:41 PM4/6/01
"Jonathan Ellis" <jona...@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> You will want any of the following:
>(a) magic resistance (this is VITAL, he may summon stuff at you, and
>that summoned stuff might summon other stuff, and some creatures can do
>the Touch of Death.)

As can Yeenoghu himself. Not the "touch of death," but a "deadly
touch" just like Death's.

--
--------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

Tim Espasandin

Apr 6, 2001, 8:44:23 PM4/6/01

"Nathan F Russell" <nrus...@acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote in message

That's a good point, but I think that I've got it covered. Yeenoghu just
followed me to Sokoban.

Jussi Nuortimo

Apr 7, 2001, 4:35:28 AM4/7/01

Ray Chason wrote:

> As can Yeenoghu himself. Not the "touch of death," but a "deadly
> touch" just like Death's.

Yes. Actually, I think deadly touch is more deadly than the actual touch of
death, since usually when you encounter creatures with touch of death you have
MR, but MR has no effect on deadly touch.

--
Jussi Nuortimo
"Hartiat kyyryssä keskellä pihaa,

David Goldfarb

Apr 7, 2001, 5:41:12 AM4/7/01
In article <3ACED14F...@mbnet.fi>,

Jussi Nuortimo <jussi.n...@koulu.paltamo.fi> wrote:
>Actually, I think deadly touch is more deadly than the actual touch of
>death, since usually when you encounter creatures with touch of death you have
>MR, but MR has no effect on deadly touch.

Not so. If you don't have magic resistance, deadly touch will kill
you outright. With magic resistance, you merely lose some hit points.
(Plus about a one in five chance of taking no damage.)

--
David Goldfarb <*>|"The only thing better than messing with somebody's
gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu | sense of reality is messing with a whole LOTTA

Steve Thirlwall

Apr 7, 2001, 12:23:24 PM4/7/01

Steve Thirlwall

Apr 7, 2001, 12:39:48 PM4/7/01

Hmmmm, yes, nice way to de-lurk... (who put that 'send' button there?)

My advice: some really scary pets, and a magic whistle.
Yeenoghu (and Juiblex, fwiw) really don't hold their own against dose
blindingly radiant A's.

Steve (I'd like to thank Mr Instadeath...)

Pat Rankin

Apr 7, 2001, 11:07:00 PM4/7/01
In article <tcsorhj...@corp.supernews.com>,\
Ray Chason <johnn...@southland.smart.net.SPAMMEN.VERBOTEN> writes...

> "Jonathan Ellis" <jona...@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> You will want any of the following:
>>(a) magic resistance (this is VITAL, he may summon stuff at you, and
>>that summoned stuff might summon other stuff, and some creatures can do
>>the Touch of Death.)
>
> As can Yeenoghu himself. Not the "touch of death," but a "deadly
> touch" just like Death's.

How do you figure that? Death is the only monster in the
game with damage type AD_DETH. Yeenoghu has a magic attack and
is high enough level to have touch of death available as one of
the randomly selected magical attacks.

The Quietust

Apr 8, 2001, 12:16:55 AM4/8/01

Note that Yeenoghu has AD_MAGM (magic missiles), not AD_SPEL (one of
touch of death, summon nasty, aggravate monsters, random curse, destroy
armor, drain strength, become invisible, stun, speed up, curse self,
headache).

However, Yeenoghu has the AD_CONF weapon attack (not to be confused with
the AD_CONF gaze attack used by umber hulks) which has a 1/4 chance of
"You are getting confused." and a 100% chance of the deadly touch.

"[monster] reaches out with its deadly touch."
The deadly touch has a 15% chance of instantly killing you if you don't
have magic resistance, otherwise you've got a 20% chance of resisting it
("Lucky for you, it didn't work!"), else "You feel your life force
draining away...".

"Oh no, [s]he's using the touch of death!"
The touch of death is a magical attack which can only be cast by
arch-liches, Rodney, Orcus, Dispater, and Demogorgon (magic-using
monsters level 20 or higher). Magic resistance ("Lucky for you, it
didn't work!"), hallucination ("You have an out of body experience.")
protects you; otherwise, you have a 13/(mlevel) chance of not being
killed instantly. For the above monsters, the chances of survival are
52%, 43%, 20%, 17%, and 12%.

Either way, it's a good idea to have magic resistance; in both cases it
will prevent you from being instantly killed.

--
The Quietust, ircN Development Team (http://ircN.org/)
* My email address is in the same domain as the above URL

Pat Rankin

Apr 9, 2001, 1:15:00 AM4/9/01
In article <3ACFE637...@ircN.org.com>, quie...@ircN.org.com writes...
[...]

> Note that Yeenoghu has AD_MAGM (magic missiles), not AD_SPEL (one of
> touch of death, summon nasty, aggravate monsters, random curse, destroy
> armor, drain strength, become invisible, stun, speed up, curse self,
> headache).

You're right. I should have looked closer before writing
that earlier reply.

> However, Yeenoghu has the AD_CONF weapon attack (not to be confused with
> the AD_CONF gaze attack used by umber hulks) which has a 1/4 chance of
> "You are getting confused." and a 100% chance of the deadly touch.

And this is a ludicrous bug which got introduced in 3.1.0
and has never been reported. The ``fall through to next case''
comment was present in 3.0, and the next case at that time was
`default' which yielded 0 damage. The Rider stuff got inserted
in between the two in error; the confusion attack was never
intended to be deadly.

Dylan O'Donnell

Apr 9, 2001, 4:17:38 AM4/9/01
ran...@eql.caltech.edu (Pat Rankin) writes:
> In article <3ACFE637...@ircN.org.com>, quie...@ircN.org.com writes...
> > However, Yeenoghu has the AD_CONF weapon attack (not to be confused with
> > the AD_CONF gaze attack used by umber hulks) which has a 1/4 chance of
> > "You are getting confused." and a 100% chance of the deadly touch.
>
> And this is a ludicrous bug which got introduced in 3.1.0
> and has never been reported. The ``fall through to next case''
> comment was present in 3.0, and the next case at that time was
> `default' which yielded 0 damage. The Rider stuff got inserted
> in between the two in error; the confusion attack was never
> intended to be deadly.

Well, we never reported it because we assumed it _was_ deliberate,
because there was a comment to say so :-) An early Yeenoghu will be
a lot less scary without it...

: "Hi! I'm Prozac the Bear!" :
: -- Prozac the Bear, "Triangle and Robert" :