YAFAP: jld-hum-cha-bar

JayDee

Jan 16, 2007, 6:45:24 PM1/16/07
Yay! Finally ascended!
jld human cha barb
L30
I just the other day ascended for the third time, and looking through
my stuff I found this file, which I never got around to posting. It
was a while ago, I was playing Orcish Rogues, with the occasional
Orcish Barbarian thrown in for variety. This one made it through.

I also have my notes from my second ascension, a wizard, which I'll
tidy up and post some other time (the third, an arc, goes up now.)

Game wasn't too tricky at first, some big shops early on, cleared
with pets. Had quite a few puppys and kittens, and even more in the
mines. Starting off with some tripe (starting food for being an orc)
was quite nice. In the mines there must have been a poly trap, after
which I had two nifty pets, an ettin zombie, and a chickatrice
(which did grow up into a cockatrice, answered a Q I've had for
ages.) Neither of the made it out of the minesend (left them there.
Too slow.) but where quite handy.

By the time I got to medusa had 10 p protection, found a Magic lamp
in the mines, which granted me some +3 GDSM.

Sok had the "oReflection. And, as luck would have it, I found a BoH
quite early, although I didn't know it. For some reason it was some
time before I started to become burdened. I think I was just leaving
anything I didn't know how to use in a shop, and not carrying around
heaps of ! I think they're are what've weighed me down before.

Used mainly Cleaver (at about +6), but after I was crowned I
switched a fair bit to +4 Stormy, at first for the level drain
resistance, and then to use a sheild. Used Sunshine in G a bit too,
for the light.

Medusa was easy, I'd (unknowingly) been wearing [ww, plus titan dug
a hole. Three mazes between medusa and the castle, which is a first
for me. There's only been once before I've had any, and that was
just one. Although I have been down to the castle no more than a
dozen times.

Caslte not to hard. Wished mainly for markers, (knew charging,
identify, ?oEA ?oEW, so wrote heaps of those). Oh, speed boots first.
Got everything to +3 +4 including a cloak of displacment. Kept that
cloak for the game, found a cloak of protection later, but didn't
get a chance to enchant it.

Sitting on caslte throne, got a wish I wasn't expecting. Ended up
grabbing =oConflict, which was my best friend for the rest of the
game. 7 wishes in the end, (GDSM, [oSpeed, =oConflict, and 4 magic
markers, I guess)

Baalzabub was a pain, didn't end up killing him until after Vlad,
and finding the vibrating square. He had a /oDig, and a "oLS. After
Vlad, shot up to the top and back, to sort through my stash, change
to [oReflect and "oLS (not that I needed it in the end) and remap a
bunch of levels (and dig some shortcuts) I didn't find any more
makers, charging scrolls, or wishes, so I never recharged Orcus'
wand (only /oDeath I saw.) Killed Rodney 15 times, mostly on Earth
and Fire while searching for the portals.

In the sanctum, Rodney stole the "oYendor from the moloch priest,
which I didn't know he'd do (makes sense, and I was initiating
everyone into fight club at the time). On the way back up, didn't
get yanked back much (yay for being chaotic) and had no trouble to
the planes. Dug out most of earth, using all my wands. In the end
I put the "oY on and found it. Same again on fire, although I
found out that was because I was wearing =oLevi, and I swear I
went over the portal about 10 times.

Water took a while, but no drama. Got to eat a couple kracken.
Yummy.

On Astral I ended up fighting all three riders, which had me a
little scared. My only other game to get the amulet was "killed by
Death" (he he). And then I relised just before fighting Pestilence
I still had "oMB on instead of "oLS! Famine died twice, and
Pestilence once. I wasn't sure if my unihorn would cure Pestilence's
illness (that, and getting sicked by Jubilex, and Slimed, were all
firsts for me and nerve wracking moments. Yay for being able to stop
and think. No *trices this time, a throne room removed cockatrices,
inc my poor pet I guess. He would have been feral by then anyhow) so
I was sure the "oLS would get a use. But no, I cured my self and the
moseyed on over to Death who fell in one hit (must have been picking
fights with someone else. Thanks, mate.) Saw a few artifacts in other
peoples hands on fire and astral, but left them. I wasn't game to
take on Bob the Tourist and his Vorpal Blade.

Anyhow, killed Death, and offered up the amulet, choirs and all that.
4061056 points in the end.

Didn't know how to take a dump of the end info, but I'll go learn
me that now.

Nothing special, from memory. I geno'd L when I got the chance, (and
cockatrices, as I mentioned.) First ascention, so I wasn't fussed
about style. Used the E-word a whole bunch (the fact that I finally
learnt that, and patience when it comes to pets, were probably the
two big things that have improved my game to this piont. This point
meaning making it to sok/minesend and deeper 9/10 times) Armor was
obtained by patience, when I took on the castle I dragged 20 or so
pairs of leather gloves to an altar to find one +4 pair. Found an
early +4 helmet, too, which helped.

So thanks a whole bunch to you guys, I wouldn't have done it (or
gotten any good at Nethack whatsoever) without this newsgroup.

nmi

Jan 17, 2007, 7:38:40 AM1/17/07
Congrats on your first ascension!

As per dumping the output I only know of patched versions of nethack
for this.
Otherwise you can just copy and paste. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Cheers

Nate

Ohle Claussen

Jan 17, 2007, 8:23:50 AM1/17/07
On 2007-01-17, nmi wrote:
> Congrats on your first ascension!
>
> As per dumping the output I only know of patched versions of nethack
> for this.

That'd be the dump patch as seen on
http://www.netsonic.fi/~walker/nethack.html.

> Otherwise you can just copy and paste. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Maybe if more people used copy'n'paste instead of the dump patch, we'd get
more YA(F)APs where only the relevant or interesting data is included.
Mostly people don't want to know how many pit vipers died in a game. I'd
rather have just the story in a YA(F)AP than the full dump.

--
Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
----------===========----------

DiNo

Jan 17, 2007, 11:23:53 AM1/17/07
> On 2007-01-17, nmi wrote:
>> Congrats on your first ascension!
>>
>> As per dumping the output I only know of patched versions of nethack
>> for this.
>
> That'd be the dump patch as seen on
> http://www.netsonic.fi/~walker/nethack.html.
>
>> Otherwise you can just copy and paste. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
>
> Maybe if more people used copy'n'paste instead of the dump patch, we'd get
> more YA(F)APs where only the relevant or interesting data is included.
> Mostly people don't want to know how many pit vipers died in a game. I'd
> rather have just the story in a YA(F)AP than the full dump.

In windows Nethack, you can't copy inventory and points ( but you can copy
attributes and conducts)

JayDee

Jan 17, 2007, 5:49:38 PM1/17/07

Ohle Claussen wrote:
> On 2007-01-17, nmi wrote:
<snip>

> That'd be the dump patch as seen on
> http://www.netsonic.fi/~walker/nethack.html.
>
> > Otherwise you can just copy and paste. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
>
> Maybe if more people used copy'n'paste instead of the dump patch, we'd get
> more YA(F)APs where only the relevant or interesting data is included.
> Mostly people don't want to know how many pit vipers died in a game. I'd
> rather have just the story in a YA(F)AP than the full dump.

Yeah, I try to copy everything into a text file, and then take out all
that
isn't relevant. I think this game was in a linux console (not terminal
window.)

The other thought I had was throwing something together to take the
full
dump as input and reorganise / trim it automatically, as a first step.
I'll
see how I go with that, unless I hear that someone else has already
done
the same thing.