Interface Options help or Qt on Windows?

Sean Staggs

Oct 24, 2011, 9:36:06 PM10/24/11
Is there any way to play the Qt version on windows, or a port that has
a similar GUI?

If not, is there a way to have the vanilla version with similar
options? I tried increasing the font size in the default file, it did
increase the size of the msg window but also the text so that was
really little help.

mainly when id like nethack to open my inventory when i want to apply,
drop, name, etc instead of first having to open the inventory, look at
the letter, close the inventory, *action*, then letter. The Qt version
seems to do this nicely from what I could tell on the "Lets play
nethack" videos on youtube.

Capt. Cave Man

Oct 25, 2011, 8:33:53 AM10/25/11
On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 18:36:06 -0700 (PDT), Sean Staggs
<seans...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Is there any way to play the Qt version on windows, or a port that has
>a similar GUI?

You could try NoeGnud. It allows more set ups and tile sets, etc.

>If not, is there a way to have the vanilla version with similar
>options? I tried increasing the font size in the default file, it did
>increase the size of the msg window but also the text so that was
>really little help.
>
>mainly when id like nethack to open my inventory when i want to apply,
>drop, name, etc instead of first having to open the inventory, look at
>the letter, close the inventory, *action*, then letter. The Qt version
>seems to do this nicely from what I could tell on the "Lets play
>nethack" videos on youtube.

Jeez... just play a tiled version like Vulture's Eye.

http://www.darkarts.co.za/

You could try the "ASCII based tileset generator he has listed there.

The left column links are what you want. The rest of the page is spam.

Javier Novoa C.

Oct 25, 2011, 9:48:31 AM10/25/11
On 2011-10-25, Sean Staggs <seans...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any way to play the Qt version on windows, or a port that has
> a similar GUI?

I remember that there were some KDE programs that ran on Windows,
somebody ported the Qt library to that OS and then you could use a lot
of KDE apps as native Windows apps. So perhaps, installing them,
you'll get the required libraries to compile and run the Qt version of
NH in Windows?

--
Javier Novoa C.

TJR

Oct 25, 2011, 10:09:56 PM10/25/11
Perhaps the tty-port keybindings work just fine with your version.
They aren't necessarily documented, though. Secondly, you could try
out the various interfaces NetHack has to offer, see
http://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Graphical_user_interface .

Marc Espie

Oct 28, 2011, 10:57:49 AM10/28/11
In article <47de6d92-cecd-4c91...@q35g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
Sean Staggs <seans...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Is there any way to play the Qt version on windows, or a port that has
>a similar GUI?

Since qt exists on windows, I don't see any major problem. It should be
fairly easy to port for someone interested enough...

Sean Staggs

Oct 29, 2011, 4:37:05 PM10/29/11
On Oct 28, 7:57 am, es...@lain.home (Marc Espie) wrote:
> In article <47de6d92-cecd-4c91-8cfb-7b724f1b5...@q35g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
> Sean Staggs  <seansta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Is there any way to play the Qt version on windows, or a port that has
> >a similar GUI?
>
> Since qt exists on windows, I don't see any major problem. It should be
> fairly easy to port for someone interested enough...

Would you mind explaining this a little more please?

cookie

Nov 1, 2011, 4:04:34 AM11/1/11
I assume they mean that you should be able to compile QT nethack on
windoze. However, what exactly is it you want to do but cannot? I
use the standard windoze build with tiles and when, e.g. I click on
'a' to apply, you can bring up your inventory by entering '?'...

Hope that helps.

Marc Espie

Nov 1, 2011, 4:54:33 AM11/1/11
In article <aed43f22-a3df-46db...@p20g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
I was just giving you facts: what you want should be feasible. If you're
only using nethack, and not actually knowing how to compile it (like oldtimers
had to do), you'll have to find someone who actually has the tools and knows
how to compile stuff on windows. But since qt exists for that OS, I don't
see any practical impossibility...

Daniel Thaler

Nov 1, 2011, 7:19:00 AM11/1/11
It would be quite difficult.
The Qt version was written for Qt 2, which did not have an open source
Version for Windows - that was only introduced with Qt 4. You won't be
able to get Qt 2 for Windows to build the original code with.
The current Version, Qt 4, is different in a lot of ways (as one would
expect after 10 years of development) and would require a fair amount of
porting work.
I expect that this would not be a task you could accomplish on a single
weekend, even if you knew exactly what you were doing.
Your best hope is probably a patch by someone else, if one exists.

Pat Rankin

Nov 1, 2011, 7:37:27 PM11/1/11
On Nov 1, 4:19 am, Daniel Thaler <dan...@invalid.address.com> wrote:
> On 01.11.2011 09:54, Marc Espie wrote:
>>[...] you'll have to find someone who actually has the tools and knows
>> how to compile stuff on windows. But since qt exists for that OS, I don't
>> see any practical impossibility...
>
> It would be quite difficult.
> The Qt version was written for Qt 2, which did not have an open source
> Version for Windows - that was only introduced with Qt 4. You won't be
> able to get Qt 2 for Windows to build the original code with.

It was originally written for Qt 2 but was later migrated to Qt
3,
I think. Someone at Nokia (which took over Trolltech and Qt, I
believe)
notified devteam that he has migrated it to Qt 4, but I don't know
whether there's any way to get ahold of it there.

> The current Version, Qt 4, is different in a lot of ways (as one would
> expect after 10 years of development) and would require a fair amount of
> porting work.
> I expect that this would not be a task you could accomplish on a single
> weekend, even if you knew exactly what you were doing.
> Your best hope is probably a patch by someone else, if one exists.

Even if nethack was using the most recent version of Qt instead
of an older one, the Windows port of nethack is not capable of simply
plugging in another user interface. Changing it to use Qt would be
more work than just converting nethack's Qt code from Qt 2 or 3 to Qt
4.

Capt. Cave Man

Nov 1, 2011, 11:09:00 PM11/1/11
So, then run a linux virtual box in windows, and go full screen and use
the qt version.(probably wont let you)

Problem solved. (Yeah, right!).

I do know that SDL based apps (Mame) run within Windows sessions.