Small patch: polymorphing sinks with rings

Nov 27, 2005, 7:20:37 AM11/27/05
Okay, the real reason this patch exists is because the feedback for
dropping rings in sinks is often, um, badly written.

I mean: "The sink looks like it is being beamed aboard somewhere" for
teleport control? "The sink looks nothing like a fountain" for
protection from shape changers?! And the one that really gets to me is
"Static electricity surrounds the sink." for shock resistance. It's
supposed to be a ring that _negates_ electricity!

So, anyways, I did some new ones. The changes are:

* Stealth: "The water flow seems quieter now."
* Levitation: "The water flow arcs upward for a moment."
* Fire Resistance: "The water flow seems cooler now."
* Cold Resistance: "The water flow seems warmer now."
* Poison Resistance: "The sink seems cleaner now."
* Shock Resistance: "The sink seems less energised." (Not great, but
what else do you do for the opposite of electricity?)
* Protection from Shape Changers: "You hear distant howling from the
sewers..."
* Invisibility: "The water flow momentarily vanishes."
* Teleportation: "Some water appears on the floor near the sink."
* Teleport Control: "Some water appears inside the sink."

Now for the significant change: if you drop a ring of polymorph into a
sink, it transforms into either a non-magic fountain, a throne, an
aligned altar, or a grave.

If you drop a ring of polymorph control into a sink, it transforms into
a sink. (Actually, it reset's the sink's "looted" status, so you can
get another black pudding, succubus and ring out of it.)

(Note: I was really keen on making rings of teleportation teleport
sinks to another floor ('.') space, but that aspect got complicated.)

Also, it adds a 5% chance of a funny message after a ring-into-sink
event.

The patch is at http://www.greyfire.org/~l/polysink.diff

Panu Lahtinen

Nov 27, 2005, 11:47:41 AM11/27/05
In article <1133094037.3...@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, L wrote:
> Okay, the real reason this patch exists is because the feedback for
> dropping rings in sinks is often, um, badly written.

<clip>

> So, anyways, I did some new ones. The changes are:

And here's some other suggestions:

> * Poison Resistance: "The sink seems cleaner now."

"The water seems healthier for a moment."

> * Shock Resistance: "The sink seems less energised." (Not great, but
> what else do you do for the opposite of electricity?)

"Actually, the sink doesn't look that disgusting at all." (vs. "I'm
_shocked_ how disgusting the sink looks like." OK, not a good pun, but
hey...)

or "The sink seems to be earthed."

> * Protection from Shape Changers: "You hear distant howling from the
> sewers..."

"This sink really is a sink."

> * Invisibility: "The water flow momentarily vanishes."

"The water flow blends to the background for a moment."

> * Teleport Control: "Some water appears inside the sink."

"The water seems to know exactly where it's flowing."

Just suggestions :-)

--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",

Antti V V Vierikko

Nov 27, 2005, 3:02:39 PM11/27/05
L <L_1...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> * Shock Resistance: "The sink seems less energised." (Not great, but
> what else do you do for the opposite of electricity?)

The water in the sink seems less ionised?

--
Antti
Vierikko Dum spiro, spero, dum di dum.

Canageek

Nov 27, 2005, 3:30:11 PM11/27/05
Antti V V Vierikko wrote:
> L <L_1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>* Shock Resistance: "The sink seems less energised." (Not great, but
>>what else do you do for the opposite of electricity?)
>

> The water in the sink seems less ionised?

The electrons in the sink cease motion?
The sink is filled with deionised water?
A very frustrated electric eel emerges from the drain and glares at you

That last one would be good if your hallucinating.

--
-Canageek

"My goal is simple. It is complete understanding of the universe, why it
is as it is and why it exists at all." -Stephen Hawking

Panu Lahtinen

Nov 27, 2005, 3:41:53 PM11/27/05
In article <lHoif.139188$Ta.6...@read1.cgocable.net>, Canageek wrote:

[substitutes for the current messages when dropping a ring in a sink,
=ShockRes]

> The electrons in the sink cease motion?
> The sink is filled with deionised water?
> A very frustrated electric eel emerges from the drain and glares at you
>
> That last one would be good if your hallucinating.

Agreed :-D

cactus of doom

Nov 28, 2005, 12:28:28 AM11/28/05

> * Shock Resistance: "The sink seems less energised." (Not great, but
> what else do you do for the opposite of electricity?)

"The sink seems rubbery for a moment"?
"The sink looks like it killed Thomas Edison!" (hallucinating, and
still a stretch :) )

Benjamin Lewis

Nov 28, 2005, 2:05:54 PM11/28/05
L_1...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Okay, the real reason this patch exists is because the feedback for
> dropping rings in sinks is often, um, badly written.
>
> I mean: "The sink looks like it is being beamed aboard somewhere" for
> teleport control? "The sink looks nothing like a fountain" for
> protection from shape changers?! And the one that really gets to me is
> "Static electricity surrounds the sink." for shock resistance. It's
> supposed to be a ring that _negates_ electricity!
>
> So, anyways, I did some new ones. The changes are:
>
> * Stealth: "The water flow seems quieter now."
> * Levitation: "The water flow arcs upward for a moment."
> * Fire Resistance: "The water flow seems cooler now."
> * Cold Resistance: "The water flow seems warmer now."
> * Poison Resistance: "The sink seems cleaner now."
> * Shock Resistance: "The sink seems less energised." (Not great, but
> what else do you do for the opposite of electricity?)
> * Protection from Shape Changers: "You hear distant howling from the
> sewers..."
> * Invisibility: "The water flow momentarily vanishes."
> * Teleportation: "Some water appears on the floor near the sink."
> * Teleport Control: "Some water appears inside the sink."

Particularly since I've knocked some of your earlier proposals, I just like
to say that I absolutely love this one.

> Now for the significant change: if you drop a ring of polymorph into a
> sink, it transforms into either a non-magic fountain, a throne, an
> aligned altar, or a grave.

To consider: is the altar possibility too unbalancing? (Personally, I
don't think so)

> If you drop a ring of polymorph control into a sink, it transforms into
> a sink. (Actually, it reset's the sink's "looted" status, so you can
> get another black pudding, succubus and ring out of it.)

Nice.

> (Note: I was really keen on making rings of teleportation teleport
> sinks to another floor ('.') space, but that aspect got complicated.)

Also would have been nice.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Now is the time for all good men to come to.
-- Walt Kelly

Pasi Kallinen

Nov 28, 2005, 3:43:32 PM11/28/05
> (Note: I was really keen on making rings of teleportation teleport
> sinks to another floor ('.') space, but that aspect got complicated.)

Well, I just did a quick'n'dirty patch to implement just that:

http://bilious.homelinux.org/~paxed/nethack/nh343-telesink.diff

Note that this diff is against the pristine vanilla source, because
I couldn't get your patch to work...

--
Pasi Kallinen
pa...@alt.org

dogs...@eudoramail.com

Nov 29, 2005, 7:44:41 AM11/29/05

Canageek wrote:
> Antti V V Vierikko wrote:
> > L <L_1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >>* Shock Resistance: "The sink seems less energised." (Not great, but
> >>what else do you do for the opposite of electricity?)
> >

> > The water in the sink seems less ionised?
> >

> The electrons in the sink cease motion?
> The sink is filled with deionised water?
> A very frustrated electric eel emerges from the drain and glares at you

Kinda lame, I know but...

You notice some earth in the sink.
Some Earth flows from the tap.

Or, if you're in a particularly evil frame of mind...

An earth golem emerges from the sink!

Panu Lahtinen

Nov 29, 2005, 9:56:12 AM11/29/05
dogs...@eudoramail.com wrote:

[ring identification with sinks, alternative messages]

> You notice some earth in the sink.
> Some Earth flows from the tap.
>
> Or, if you're in a particularly evil frame of mind...
>
> An earth golem emerges from the sink!

Maybe there should be more than just messages, eg. "The sink momentarily
vanishes." (=Tele) -> teleports the character.

Grey Knight

Nov 29, 2005, 10:22:13 AM11/29/05
L wrote:
> * Shock Resistance: "The sink seems less energised." (Not great, but
> what else do you do for the opposite of electricity?)

"You notice a baby energy vortex fleeing from the sink! You lose sight
of it amongst the pipes."

L is a lean, mean, patch-producing machine. I may have been
over-conservative by allocating him a mere 16Mb of space... Somehow he
finds the time to create good Dudley comics simultaneously.

Canageek

Nov 29, 2005, 4:19:54 PM11/29/05
> Canageek wrote:

>>>The water in the sink seems less ionised?
>>>
>>The electrons in the sink cease motion?
>>The sink is filled with deionised water?
>>A very frustrated electric eel emerges from the drain and glares at you

Well I had an idea. Has anyone here ever held a charged rod near a thin
stream of water and watched it bend? I'm not sure what kind of message
could be made out of this but I'm sure someone here can think up
something good.

BManx2000

Nov 29, 2005, 5:52:23 PM11/29/05

The sink seems well-grounded?

nikolai kingsley

Nov 30, 2005, 1:14:48 AM11/30/05

>>A very frustrated electric eel emerges from the drain and glares at you
>
> Kinda lame, I know but...
>
> You notice some earth in the sink.
> Some Earth flows from the tap.
>
> Or, if you're in a particularly evil frame of mind...
>
> An earth golem emerges from the sink!

or "MARGE! Somebody broke the toilet!"

ManaUser

Nov 30, 2005, 10:57:18 PM11/30/05
BManx2000 wrote:

Or "The sink seems more firmly attached to the ground."
(to make it a bit more cryptic)

Or alternatively, "The current is blocked for a moment."

--
My email address: http://manauser.info/email.gif

Seraphim

Dec 1, 2005, 6:13:46 PM12/1/05
ManaUser <lo...@sig.invalid> wrote in news:wwujf.14390$Mj....@fe04.lga:

> BManx2000 wrote:
>
>> dogs...@eudoramail.com wrote:

>>> Kinda lame, I know but...
>>>
>>> You notice some earth in the sink.
>>> Some Earth flows from the tap.
>>>
>>> Or, if you're in a particularly evil frame of mind...
>>>
>>> An earth golem emerges from the sink!
>>>

>> The sink seems well-grounded?
>
> Or "The sink seems more firmly attached to the ground."
> (to make it a bit more cryptic)

I'm just going to chime in and say I really like this one. OTOH I would
probably drop the word "more" from it, "more firmly" sounds bad to me.

Andrew Kerr

Dec 2, 2005, 8:59:31 AM12/2/05
In article news:<Xns971FB9DA821...@132.236.56.8>, Seraphim
says...

[message for dropping =oSR in sink]

> >> The sink seems well-grounded?
> >
> > Or "The sink seems more firmly attached to the ground."
> > (to make it a bit more cryptic)
>
> I'm just going to chime in and say I really like this one. OTOH I would
> probably drop the word "more" from it, "more firmly" sounds bad to me.

Why would grounding an item make it resistant to shock? Surely it would
allow current to pass through it more easily, thus less resistant?

"The (faucet|tap) seems to be made of crystal"

'Cos most (faucet|tap)s are made of metal, which conducts well. Crystal
doesn't.

Benjamin Lewis

Dec 2, 2005, 11:51:19 AM12/2/05
lo...@sig.invalid wrote:

> Or alternatively, "The current is blocked for a moment."

I like this one.

noah bedford

Dec 9, 2005, 3:59:50 PM12/9/05
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:47:41 +0200 (EET)
Panu Lahtinen <pn...@iki.fi> wrote:

>or "The sink seems to be earthed."

The sink is grounded.

--