YAFAP: Kletian-Ran-Hum-Mal-Neu

arp...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2007, 12:31:04 AM1/26/07
Kletian-Ran-Hum-Mal-Neu found two magic lamps in Minetown and blessed
them for two wishes (+2 SDSM and the PYEC).

He cleared out the Big Room. He didn't do Sokoban (he already had
reflection and a BoH), but he did stop by there after ID'ing a cursed
scroll of genocide so he could summon nurses. His max HP rose to 170,
pretty good for a character at XL12. His AC was only at -7; I hadn't
bought any protection, nor could I afford any at this point. I hoped to
stumble on Fort Ludios or enchant my armor to the point that it doesn't
matter anymore.

He identified all of the really useful scrolls (enchant weapon, enchant
armor, genocide, and of course identify) and many of the more useful
potions. He had about 10 holy waters in his bag of holding to help
bless anything he needed; he also had a stash of around seven blank
scrolls, but up until now no magic marker.

That is, until he ran into a box with an un-ID'd wand on DL14. I
engrave tested it and it turned out to be a wand of wishing. Rock on!
My first wish was a magic marker. I used the marker to write a lot of
enchant armor scrolls, recharging it with the PYEC. I still had four
wishes left on this wand... plus another five or six from the wand in
the castle... I liked how this game was going.

I got Giantslayer (a longsword) from sacrificing, so my longsword skill
was unrestricted and I had a decent melee weapon at last. My dagger and
bow skills were both at Expert and the five enchant weapon scrolls in
my bag of holding would go nicely on the Longbow of Diana and whatever
longsword I chose for my primary weapon (probably Frost Brand or Fire
Brand). I had a ring of teleportation AND a ring of teleport control,
but right now I was only wearing my ring of slow digestion.

I wished up +2 fireproof boots of speed and enchanted all my armor
until I was in the mid-20's. I descended to Medusa's level (Titan) but
I had no way of crossing at this point. I played with succubi until I
got to level 14, then wiped out the quest. It was cake.

Still no way to cross, I cleared the first three Sokoban levels but got
no =oL. I went back to Minetown and uncursed some boots I left there.
Score! They were -1, but with my AC I didn't care. I descended to
Medusa, killed her before she got a chance to gaze, then cleared out
the castle.

Kletian rocked Gehennom. He learned a lot of spells (magic mapping!)
and could cast most of them at 0% failure, thanks to his +4 fireproof
robe. He was also decked out with a +5 SDSM, +4 boots of speed, and +5
helm of brilliance, for a total AC of -31 (and my HP was around 230). I
accidentally lost his leather gloves (+0, so no big deal -- but lesson
learned: make sure your old spells Confuse and not just Stun before
reading that ?oDA), so I wished up +2 fireproof gloves of dexterity. I
enchanted them and the T-shirt I found until my AC dropped to -40,
where it stayed for the rest of the game. Now I felt confident that I
could do my ascension run.

My weapons were just as good as my armor. My melee weapon was the +7
rustproof Vorpal Blade, which I got from being crowned while praying to
bless water, and I also had the +7 Longbow of Diana with a stash of 81
blessed +7 arrows (which I never ended up using). Awesome! The Vorpal
Blade dropped to +6 when I accidentally meleed a disenchanter, but I
was in the Wizard's Tower at that point and wasn't about to turn back.

I killed Rodney in honorable melee combat, then froze the water he was
standing on to recover the Book of the Dead. I read a ?oT, hoping I
could get back outside, but it was cursed and sent me to level 27!
(Yeah, I know -- the level was no-tele anyway.) I slipped on my =oTC
and read one of my stashed C?OT to send me back to the Valley of the
Dead, then another to get me near the VS level. Rodney reappeared to
challenge me in Moloch's Sanctum, but the hard part was really just
working my way there. I quaffed a cursed !oGL on accident during the
fight and had to start over.

Killed Rodney and the High Priest, then grabbed the Amulet and made a
mad dash for the surface. Rodney didn't bother showing up until the
Plane of Earth, bless him. I dispatched him with a /oD this time -- no
fooling around -- and made my way up to Astral.

Here was my next big lucky break (the other one being finding all those
wishes): I got the altar right on the first try. I Zapped detect
monsters and went in the middle with Famine. He was a pushover, but the
mobs were rough. I quaffed a !oFH when my HP got down to 85, but other
than that the only trouble was shoving my way through. I was greeted by
the High Priest of Venus. I could hardly believe it -- after more than
ten years of NetHack, I was going to ascend!

-- You offer the Amulet to Venus... An invisible choir sings, and you
are bathed in radiance... The voice of Venus rings out:
"Congratulations, mortal!" "In exchange for thy service, I grant thee
the gift of Immortality!" You ascend to the status of Demigod... ---

DYWYPI? Why, yes!

Amulets
u - an uncursed amulet of life saving (being worn)
v - a cursed amulet of life saving

Weapons
A - the blessed +7 Longbow of Diana (alternate weapon; not wielded)
G - 81 blessed +7 arrows (in quiver)
J - the blessed rustproof +6 Vorpal Blade (weapon in hand)

Armor
h - a blessed +4 t-shirt (being worn)
j - a blessed fireproof +5 pair of gauntlets of dexterity (being worn)
o - an uncursed fireproof +4 pair of boots of speed (being worn)
C - a blessed greased rustproof +5 helm of brilliance (being worn)
K - a blessed +4 robe (being worn)
U - a blessed +4 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)

Comestibles
a - an uncursed lizard corpse
y - 3 uncursed K-rations

Spellbooks
b - the uncursed Book of the Dead

Potions
m - 3 potions of holy water

Rings
k - an uncursed ring of free action // I could've sworn I put this on,
but I guess not
p - an uncursed ring of levitation (on left hand) // I had this
instead??
R - a cursed ring of slow digestion (on right hand)

Wands
c - a wand of death (0:1)
i - a wand of death (0:1)
x - a wand of cancellation (0:8)
z - a wand of digging (0:6) // I junked most of these after Earth
F - a wand of digging (0:7)
P - a wand of fire (0:3)
X - a wand of cancellation (0:4)
Y - a wand of fire (0:5)
Z - a wand of cold (0:5)

Tools
f - the cursed Candelabrum of Invocation (no candles attached)
g - an uncursed pair of lenses (being worn)
r - a blessed greased bag of holding
t - the Bell of Opening (0:2)
w - a blessed oil lamp
B - an uncursed towel
D - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
H - a tinning kit (0:22)
V - the uncursed Platinum Yendorian Express Card // I love this thing

Gems
q - a blessed luckstone

Contents of the bag of holding:

an uncursed ring of teleport control
an uncursed ring of searching
an uncursed ring of poison resistance
an uncursed tin of Wizard of Yendor meat // trophy meat!
an uncursed ruby
a magic marker (1:35)
an uncursed scroll of teleportation
a blessed scroll of light
2 cursed scrolls of light
2 cursed scrolls of blank paper
a blessed scroll of blank paper
an uncursed ring of slow digestion
an uncursed +3 ring of gain constitution
an uncursed scroll of light
an uncursed scroll of remove curse
an uncursed brass lantern
an uncursed ring of regeneration
a cursed potion of gain level
an uncursed spellbook of finger of death
a can of grease (0:8)
a wand of wishing (1:0)
a wand of digging (0:4)
an uncursed spellbook of detect monsters
a wand of digging (0:4)
an uncursed scroll of scare monster
an uncursed spellbook of magic mapping
an uncursed spellbook of protection
an uncursed ring of polymorph control
an uncursed ring of regeneration
a wand of wishing named new (0:2)
2 uncursed rubies
an uncursed potion of enlightenment
an uncursed tin of Scorpius meat // more trophy meat!
a blessed spellbook of charm monster
an uncursed spellbook of force bolt
an uncursed spellbook of cure sickness
a wand of cold (0:5)
a wand of polymorph (0:4)
an uncursed spellbook of magic missile
a blessed spellbook of healing
a wand of enlightenment (0:13)
a wand of sleep (0:5)
a wand of teleportation (0:7)
a wand of lightning (0:5)
an uncursed ring of teleportation
a wand of digging (0:6)
an uncursed potion of paralysis
a wand of teleportation (0:1)
a cursed wand of teleportation (0:4)
a +0 unicorn horn
a +0 unicorn horn
3 uncursed diamonds
6 uncursed amethyst stones
2 uncursed emeralds
a wand of magic missile (0:4)
a cursed wand of slow monster (0:7)
a cursed wand of light (0:13)
an uncursed wooden flute
4 uncursed C-rations
2 uncursed citrine stones
4 uncursed worthless pieces of red glass
an uncursed jasper stone
an uncursed obsidian stone
a wand of make invisible (0:3)
a wand of cold (0:7)
a wand of teleportation (0:7)
a blessed wand of light (0:14)
2 uncursed worthless pieces of green glass
a cursed worthless piece of red glass
a cursed worthless piece of black glass
a cursed worthless piece of blue glass
2 uncursed worthless pieces of blue glass // wow, lots of junk

Final Attributes:

You were the Envoy of Balance.
You were piously aligned.
You were fire resistant.
You were cold resistant.
You were sleep resistant.
You were disintegration-resistant.
You were shock resistant.
You were poison resistant.
You were magic-protected.
You saw invisible.
You were telepathic.
You had automatic searching.
You were invisible to others.
You were stealthy.
You were levitating.
You had slower digestion.
You were protected.
You were very fast.
You had reflection.
Your life would have been saved.
You were extremely lucky.
You had extra luck.
Good luck did not time out for you.
You survived. // !!!

Vanquished creatures:

Orcus
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (4 times)
Famine (twice)
a high priest
a mastodon
Medusa
a titan
a balrog
a purple worm
a gray dragon
2 silver dragons
a red dragon
3 white dragons
5 black dragons
a blue dragon
5 green dragons
a yellow dragon
18 minotaurs
7 jabberwocks // OHKO from Vorpal!
Scorpius
7 baluchitheria
an Angel
Vlad the Impaler
3 master mind flayers // then I genocided h -- I'm surprised it was
this many
7 disenchanters
32 vampire lords
5 skeletons
2 shopkeepers
16 aligned priests
5 captains
6 shades
2 clay golems
7 nurses
7 ice devils
4 nalfeshnees
3 lurkers above
2 Aleaxes
2 mind flayers // then I genocided h
28 small mimics
33 mountain centaurs // quest monsters
44 wraiths // pity I didn't get 44 wraith corpses
57 gremlins // they had a pool party a few times
54 leprechauns
31 scorpions // more quest monsters
55 forest centaurs // yet more quest monsters
31 soldier ants
39 giant ants
30 dwarves
58 killer bees

2243 creatures vanquished.

Genocided species:

hobbits
dwarves
bugbears
dwarf lords
dwarf kings
mind flayers
master mind flayers
liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches // I hate liches

11 species genocided.

Voluntary challenges:

You genocided 11 types of monsters.
You never polymorphed an object.
You never changed form.
You used 6 wishes.

((I never fully used the first wand of wishing (wished for MM, boots,
and another MM, then recharged the wand), nor did I start on the one
from the castle, so I had plenty of unused wishes.))

Goodbye Kletian the Demigod...

You went to your reward with 3229902 points,
The Book of the Dead (worth 10000 zorkmids and 25000 points)
The Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Bell of Opening (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Longbow of Diana (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
Vorpal Blade (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
The Platinum Yendorian Express Card (worth 7000 zorkmids and 17500
points)
11 worthless pieces of colored glass,
6 amethyst stones (worth 3600 zorkmids),
3 diamonds (worth 12000 zorkmids),
3 rubies (worth 10500 zorkmids),
2 emeralds (worth 5000 zorkmids),
2 citrine stones (worth 3000 zorkmids),
1 jasper stone (worth 500 zorkmids),
1 obsidian stone (worth 200 zorkmids),
2 amulets of life saving (worth 300 zorkmids),
and 0 pieces of gold, after 52728 moves.
You were level 19 with a maximum of 295 hit points when you ascended.

I'm -so- happy... That's one new year's resolution done!

Ohle Claussen

Jan 26, 2007, 6:20:35 AM1/26/07
On 2007-01-26, arp...@gmail.com wrote:
>[...]

> I could hardly believe it -- after more than
> ten years of NetHack, I was going to ascend!

And well done, too. Looks like you played very considerately. You even
resisted the temptation of using up all your early wishes in one go.

> Rings
> k - an uncursed ring of free action // I could've sworn I put this on,
> but I guess not
> p - an uncursed ring of levitation (on left hand) // I had this
> instead??
> R - a cursed ring of slow digestion (on right hand)

You might find that the =oSD isn't really much help, so free action should
be your default ring. There's more than enough food available.

--
Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
----------===========----------

Bartosz Chodorowski

Jan 29, 2007, 7:57:55 AM1/29/07
Dnia 26.01.2007 arp...@gmail.com <arp...@gmail.com> naskrobał(a):

> I could hardly believe it -- after more than ten years of NetHack, I
> was going to ascend!
>
> -- You offer the Amulet to Venus... An invisible choir sings, and you
> are bathed in radiance... The voice of Venus rings out:
> "Congratulations, mortal!" "In exchange for thy service, I grant thee
> the gift of Immortality!" You ascend to the status of Demigod... ---

Congratulations! You deserved this ascension.

--
Bartosz 'chomzee' Chodorowski http://chomzee.bandyta.pl/
My GnuPG key is available here: http://chomzee.bandyta.pl/chomzee-gnupg.asc

Tartley

Jan 29, 2007, 9:22:51 AM1/29/07
On Jan 26, 5:31 am, arpe...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm -so- happy... That's one new year's resolution done!

>From what year?

Seriously, congrats! One day, ascension will be mine!

Also, how do dwarves and hobbits end up getting genocided? They don't
seem like one of my problems (but I rarely get past the Oracle, so I'm
speaking from relative ignorance)

Ohle Claussen

Jan 29, 2007, 9:36:56 AM1/29/07
On 2007-01-29, Tartley wrote:
> Also, how do dwarves and hobbits end up getting genocided? They don't
> seem like one of my problems (but I rarely get past the Oracle, so I'm
> speaking from relative ignorance)

Blessed scroll to genocide all 'h', in order to get both MFs and MMFs. The
poor little buggers are collateral damage.

--
Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
----------===========----------

"We cannot start Mitchell, the Mitchell Plan, until the cycle of violence has
been crushed and broken." --dubya

Message has been deleted

Tartley

Jan 29, 2007, 9:57:06 AM1/29/07
On Jan 29, 2:36 pm, Ohle Claussen <claus...@dpi.physik.uni-

goettingen.de> wrote:
> On 2007-01-29, Tartley wrote:
> > Also, how do dwarves and hobbits end up getting genocided? They don't
> > seem like one of my problems (but I rarely get past the Oracle, so I'm
> > speaking from relative ignorance)
> Blessed scroll to genocide all 'h', in order to get both MFs and MMFs. The
> poor little buggers are collateral damage.

Ah, I geddit. Thanks.

It does seem like an interesting side-effect of the scroll, but I'm
not sure that I like it overall. That presumably means that it's
significantly easy to accidentally genocide your own race?

Hmmm. Apart from the MF / dwarf equivalence, are there any other
equivalences that I should be aware of? I guess I should go study
which character maps to which species more carefully before I ever use
a scroll of genocide.

Alright, thanks!

Tartley

Jan 29, 2007, 9:57:52 AM1/29/07