YAAP: rax-Mon-Hum-Fem-Neu 10 conducts!!

Rachel Elizabeth Dillon

Jun 24, 2007, 11:57:32 PM6/24/07
So, I hate monks. I've only ascended one ever, and while it was
weaponless, it wasn't vegetarian and it wasn't armorless and really I
didn't enjoy it. So a week or two ago when I realized I needed only a
human for a June hat trick --- and a consecutive neutral for a double
top with bells --- I was miffed that everyone I asked suggested a monk
as the most survivable class for a neutral human. I really wanted to just
play another wizard, but I was eventually shamed into starting a monk.

(note: if you follow along with the ttyrecs, I'm sure I'm messing up
the ordering here somewhat, but I really don't have time to fact-check
the order of operations on all of these things, sorry. If you do want
to watch, I suggest starting with me going to try to take Kaen; from
there it pretty much stays exciting, I think.)

As an exercise, I kept ten conducts down to Minetown, thinking it would
be good practice for some other conduct ascension attempt. I kept them
through Soko too, but kept price-IDing all the scrolls and spellbooks
on the theory that I would be using them soon. When I got the bag of
holding in Sokoban, I was pretty much committed to breaking the conducts,
and then on DL 7 or 8 (it was a really shallow Soko), I found bones.

They would have made me much happier if I hadn't been a conduct character
or hadn't been a monk: tons of scrolls, unholy water, a magic marker, a
bunch of spellbooks, a bunch of daggers. Oh, and SDSM. And wait, was that a
quarterstaff? So that cloak must be...

I got just a touch giddy. MR! Reflection! I put them on. Who cares if
they are cursed? I can enchant them up, I can dip them in fountains
since they'll make me able to survive the effects, I can wean myself
off of the armor when I get the shield of reflection from medusa, or I
can just wish one up at the Castle...

Or, if I dare, I can take a Monk on a streak who started with Protection
(not Sleep, which would actually have been helpful), wear body armor all
game, and try to keep 10 conducts.

I kind of knew that if I didn't try for it now, I probably wouldn't ever
try for it again. With a wand of fire in open inventory I could always
break illit to survive if I got too bogged down, and all of my scrolls
were price-ID'd if I wanted to go that route. Minetown was even coaligned.
At this point I couldn't hit anything, but I started kicking them, and that
worked pretty well; it only had 50% effectivenesss or so, but thanks to
some +5 iron shoes I found on a dwarf in the Mines, my AC was -10 or so,
and that was more than enough to make killing things slowly OK.

I descended for the luckstone with little incident, irritatingly not
finding any helpful tools along the way. I grabbed some things that
engraved instead of wrote 'x' to throw at a coaligned unicorn to get my
luck up; I usually just sacrifice, but that wasn't going to fly here.
(Eventually I found a blessed touchstone, which simplified matters
significantly.) In the meantime I descended slowly, pacifying tameables
as I went.

I found that some monsters were harder to kill than others, and
those monsters got +0 daggers from afar. It turns out that they were
thick-skinned, and the only reason I was able to kick them at all was
that my +5 iron boots got their enchantment bonus to damage. ... minus,
of course, a penalty for the corrosion and rust they quickly picked up.
The descent to Medusa passed largely without incident; I found +0 jumping
boots but didn't wear them. I forgot about them when I got to Medusa,
in fact, and after going back up to try to polytrap some good pets,
I said "To hell with it" and dug down. I had an instrument! What more
did I need?

I quickly learned that:

* most pets are useless, even jabberwocks will get themselves stupidly
killed when you're not paying attention
* minotaurs hit hard, burning teleportation charges you really wanted to
save for the endgame
* winged gargoyles also hit hard, but are dumber about following you
(I'm not sure this is true, but it sure seemed that way)

I ended up making it to the Castle, though without any pets, and
drawbridging everything but the two barracks. One was closed and I left it
closed; the other was not, and I killed all the soldiers and used a nearby
warhorse or something to pet-test the armor. +3 small shield! +1 helmet!
_sweet_. I also picked up the wand and put it in my bag; I learned after
my game concluded that it was 0:1. Oh well, if it wasn't for 0:1 wands,
I wouldn't have no wands at all...

I went back upstairs, reflected Medusa, and then got both a shield
and lev boots from the Perseus statue. Oh, I'm forgetting an important
detail here; at the time, I was wearing a ring of invisibility rather
than zapping myself with a wand of make invisible. This meant I could
petrify Medusa and ID things in shops. After Medusa I ended up just using
the wand, which gave me more ring freedom to use the slow digestion and
free action I think I had by that point.

Gehennom was miserable. I couldn't kill half the monsters, and kept having
to go back up to make new pet dragons or umber hulks or master liches only
to bring them all down and have them die doing something absurdly dumb.
Summoners are horrible and I had a lot of close calls. At this point,
mind you, I was XL 14 or 15 (I got 15 by XP) and had alchemized what little
I could for like 80-odd HP. I had Con 18 pretty early, too; stupid monks.
Eventually I got to Vlad and at that point had 100 or so HP.

I had to burn my last or second-to-last potion of full healing on Vlad.
That's right, Vlad. He nearly destroyed me. A bunch of people were
watching and had made fun of me for being afraid of Vlad; at the end
they all agreed it was totally justified because damn, if you're AC -12
and HP 100 and you do like 5 damage a turn, that's _dangerous_. Sadly
he's poison resistant; I had discovered that a lot of big baddies, like
flayers and winged gargoyles and I think minotaurs, can fall to a few
poison darts without too much trouble. But this gave me the Candelabrum
and an amulet of lifesaving, which made me way less nervous about life.

I went back up to ID rings and get holy water, and it turned out that
I had conflict. (Oh, I also got regeneration pretty early on; it was
a good ring to wear when getting swarmed on DL 10-20.) With levitation
boots, I had some sort of pathetic excuse for a full kit. With conflict
I realized that I might actually ascend. I dragged my current menagerie
of ponies or whatever to the one polytrap I had found in the main dungeon
and... I ended up with a purple worm.

My vision went all red and focused. I had spent a couple of hours planning
the different strategies I might use to handle Kaen. I had come up with
the following list:

* Wand of death while still meditating
* Sleep
* Paralysis and free action
* Levitate over the lava and then use attack wands
* Absurd pets and conflict
* Purple worm and conflict
* Die

I figured I wouldn't get another purple worm out of the polytrap, or at
least that I didn't have the patience to. I had already explored the first
four levels of Home for loot and XP, so I just had to dart down with the
worm. I figured that even if I did get a wand of death, I'd rather have
the worm, and so I went down to Home 5, which was ... a Kaen bonesfile.

newerp, if you are reading this, your attempt to kill Kaen with the AC
that armor must have given you and all of your potions of healing, extra
healing, and full healing still in your bag was insane. However, all of
your potions of healing were in your bag, and that probably saved my life.
I alchemized to 200HP and, after taking a deep breath, went downstairs.

Kaen woke up. Of course. I wasn't able to get to the lava. Of course.
Dude does like 50 damage per turn when you have AC -7, it's insane. I
managed to get up the stairs with my worm and without him (yay speed
system!), heal up, and then brought him back up. I missed the first time
with my wand of sleep, but the second time it worked, and Pinwheel the
purple worm ate Kaen. AWESOME. There was much cheering. At this point I
felt that the only real challenges left were the Sanctum and Astral.

I was a bit wrong; when the purple worm died on DL44, Gehennom got hard
again; I have respect for liches again, which had faded in a string of
games where I just stomped through the game. Also, there was no cockatrice
in the wizard's tower, so I had to conflict my way up and then enter,
which led to me being surrounded by summons on the same turn as a giant
eel swung itself around me. The summons, of course, included a master
mind flayer. I was forced to apply a wand of teleportation. The next
summon storm included a purple worm, who graciously ate Rodney.

I actually forgot the Book at first :) Once I went back for it, the
VS level was the next level down, and I had to uncurse my Bell and
Candelabrum, which left me with like two holy water. I went downstairs
and of course there was a &%&^%*& arch-lich, but I dropped scare monster
and used conflict. I snuck through the graveyard mostly unharmed and then
used conflict and jumping to get through the priests; the high priest
fell to the first death ray, thank _god_. (Is he poison resistant? That
was my backup plan, inasmuch as I had one.) I had picked up a cursed
potion of gain level, and used that to get out...

The mysterious force was reasonably kind. That was good, because I was
down to one holy water when I got back up to my wand of cancellation on
DL 7 or so. I ended up taking 6 or 7 up into the planes with me. I had a
glass orb, but I thought it might have been cursed, so I cancelled it
to make it uncursed. I felt smart about this until I realized it was now
chargeless. Oops.

EARTH:

The portal was way the hell to the right, but that wasn't a big deal.
I didn't bother jumping to conserve food, since I had failed to loot
the castle for it on the way up. Whoops.

AIR:

Invis + lev + conflict + stealth = <3 I was engulfed by _one_ air
elemental. _One_.

I had been flayed, so I didn't know slow monster from polymorph, but it
turns out that zapping either one inside an air elemental will get you
out, so it didn't matter! I thought I didn't have secret door detection,
so waited for something to find me the portal.

FIRE:

An Archon spawned on the right, but once I was on the left. The wielded
amulet got me through this one. The plane of Fire isn't even hard with
an AC -7 ten-conduct monk: Conflict is broken, if anyone with the power
to fix this is listening. (and I will so get shot for saying that)

WATER:

Ho hum, ho hum, oh hey check it a portal.

ASTRAL:

OH MY GOD. So I started off by jumping left. It turned out that was Death;
I tried to get away but was surrounded by purple Ls. Not by summons,
but by the liches themselves. Oh God. Death drained some max HP because
I could get nowhere and could not hit him. (Had I not worn the armor, I
would have been AC 4.) A conflicted minotaur eventually killed Death and
I was able to jump past to the altar --- which was Chaotic. I grabbed a
cockatrice corpse and took out the priests and angels, but then death was
coming, so I led him around the high temple. I headed up to the center
after whacking another purple L who showed up, and that was Pestilence,
who I avoided. At this point I was pretty sure I was out of teleport
charges (turned out I had: 1). I also figured I was out of death charges
(actually had: 2). Of course, the center altar was lawful.

I was actually starting to feel nervous at this point. I took a look at
my inventory and at the map. I considered a bunch of stupid things. Then
I realized that I had three amulets of lifesaving. ... Oh. I jumped past
Famine to get to the third altar, which of course was mine, sacrificed
the Amulet to the god I had so long ignored, and then proceeded to take
a four-hour nap (which is why I am still up now writing this).

The entire game I never _wielded_ a weapon for fear of misusing it. I
never stepped on an altar square except that high altar, and was afraid
to whistle a pet onto an altar in case they might drop an item. Until I
had MR I was searching three times every square below DL7. This game was
insane. But, I did it. Woo!

Apparently it's the same conduct set as Marvin and Tenaya's 10-conduct
ascensions; eit_brad did foodless but not atheist. Are there other
10-conduct games out there? Anyone manage 11 yet? :)

Thanks for reading; there are comments in the game dump, too. I'm
happy to answer any questions about strategy or whatever.

-r.

rax, neutral female human Monk

---------
|.......|
--------------- |.......| -----
|`............| |..._%..| |... 4
|..---------..-- ------ |.......| --- --..---------4
|..|.......|.%`-- -- | |.......| | -- --...|.......|
|..|.%._...`.%%`*- |.............| ..@D. ``@..a.`A..@...|
|..|.......|..`-- -- % -- -----|----- -- % -- --55.|.......|
|..---------`.-- ----%---- -- % %% ----.---- --..---------5
|.....`......%| | ?%-------- % $ ------- | |... 4
--------------- | % | | | -----
-------% -- % % %-- -------
| (% -- %` -- |
--- ----`---- `---
| ` |
-----------------

Rax the Student of Metals St:18/06 Dx:18 Co:18 In:15 Wi:18 Ch:16 Neutral S:981896
Astral Plane $:0 HP:77(210) Pw:118(118) AC:-7 Xp:18/1300965 T:52935

Your inventory
Amulets
s - an uncursed amulet of life saving named Vlad! (being worn)
Weapons
i - 30 cursed poisoned +0 darts (in quiver) //had 50, they seemed to
vanish a lot given my luck
Armor
b - a cursed thoroughly burnt +3 small shield (being worn) // soldier
j - a blessed +1 pair of leather gloves (being worn) // soldier
m - an uncursed burnt +0 pair of levitation boots named uncursed //Perseus
u - an uncursed +0 Hawaiian shirt (being worn) // "style" I guess
H - an uncursed +2 silver dragon scale mail named c (being worn)
// Quint bones
J - an uncursed thoroughly burnt rotted +0 cloak of magic resistance
named uncursed (being worn) // Quint bones
R - an uncursed thoroughly rusty very corroded +5 pair of iron shoes
S - an uncursed rusty +0 helmet (being worn) // was +1, stupid R
W - a blessed +0 pair of jumping boots (being worn) // \o/
Comestibles
g - 2 uncursed carrots
o - an uncursed lizard corpse // I was so terrified I would have to
eat this, but luckily never did.
w - an uncursed food ration
P - an uncursed cockatrice corpse (weapon in hand)
T - 2 uncursed C-rations
U - a cursed banana
Rings
c - an uncursed ring of conflict named !c (on left hand)
d - an uncursed ring of slow digestion named !c
D - an uncursed ring of free action named FREE ACTION (on right hand)
// the naming it individually was actually an accident but saved
// me a lot of time when I got flayed
Q - an uncursed ring of regeneration named uncursed
Wands
a - a cursed wand of lightning (0:5)
e - a cursed wand of fire (0:3)
f - a wand of teleportation (0:1)
n - a wand of striking (0:1)
p - a wand of slow monster (0:2)
q - a rusty wand of polymorph (0:4)
x - a cursed wand of death (0:2)
y - a rusty wand of polymorph (0:8)
A - a cursed wand of fire (0:5)
B - a wand of lightning (0:3)
E - a wand of fire (0:2)
G - a cursed rusty wand of striking (0:2)
K - a wand of cold (0:4)
L - a wand of death (0:0)
M - a cursed wand of magic missile (0:6)
V - a wand of sleep named full (0:6) // Kaen-slayer
X - a cursed wand of polymorph (0:5)
Y - a wand of sleep (0:7)
Z - a cursed wand of magic missile (0:0)
Tools
h - a cursed magic whistle
k - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
r - the blessed Eyes of the Overworld (being worn)
z - a cursed pair of lenses // worn early on to improve searching
F - an uncursed rusty thoroughly corroded stethoscope // used to split a
// pet pudding a couple of times so I would have more pets.
I - a cursed rusty skeleton key named Wow, A Key
N - a blessed bag of holding named Sokogift uncursed
Gems
t - an uncursed luckstone named Mines' End

Contents of the bag of holding named Sokogift uncursed:
an uncursed amulet of life saving
an uncursed amulet of life saving
50 cursed poisoned -2 darts
the +2 Demonbane // was the longsword in Vlad's tower
19 cursed +0 darts
an uncursed +0 pair of water walking boots
an uncursed +0 mummy wrapping named !c // for shops, never used
an uncursed +0 shield of reflection named uncursed // never used
an uncursed +1 robe
2 uncursed cram rations
an uncursed lizard corpse
9 uncursed ruined 1-game streaks // forgot to change to "2-game streaks"
2 uncursed tripe rations
an uncursed fortune cookie
an uncursed orange
an uncursed scroll of scare monster
an uncursed scroll of scare monster
4 blessed scrolls of scare monster // :)
2 cursed potions of healing
4 potions of holy water named c
a blessed potion of full healing
an uncursed potion of healing
a cursed diluted potion of paralysis // couldn't hit Kaen with it
a cursed potion of extra healing named c
2 potions of unholy water named unholy!
an uncursed ring of conflict
an uncursed ring of polymorph control // silver, but never bothered
an uncursed ring of levitation // Wait, I had this?? Dammit, I must
// have messed up an ID somewhere. That would have improved my Air
// AC significantly...
an uncursed ring of regeneration named uncursed
an uncursed ring of free action named uncursed
an uncursed ring of aggravate monster named uncursed
an uncursed ring of shock resistance named !c
an uncursed ring of cold resistance named !c
an uncursed ring of sustain ability named !c
an uncursed ring of polymorph control named !c
a wand of magic missile (0:3)
a blessed wand of magic missile (0:2)
a rusty wand of lightning (0:0)
a cursed wand of magic missile (0:0)
a wand of light (0:12)
a wand of teleportation (0:4) // what were you doing in here???
a wand of probing (0:1)
a wand of speed monster (0:2)
a wand of sleep named empty? (0:3)
a wand of create monster (0:13)
a wand of digging (0:7)
a wand of secret door detection (0:13)
a blessed wand of undead turning named empty (0:0)
a wand of digging (0:7)
a wand of striking (0:5)
a cursed wand of make invisible (0:2)
a wand of sleep (0:5)
a wand of striking (0:0)
a wand of digging (0:4)
a wand of striking (0:5)
a wand of create monster (0:13)
a blessed wand of digging (0:1)
a wand of create monster (0:10)
a wand of wishing named Castle (0:1) // <3
a wand of secret door detection (0:10)
a blessed wand of speed monster (0:4)
a magic marker (0:30)
a magic marker (0:58)
an uncursed towel named !c
a blessed oil lamp
a +0 unicorn horn
a +0 unicorn horn
an uncursed leash
an uncursed wooden flute
a magic marker (0:31) // ...and I didn't even take all of them up with
// me, either. It's like the RNG knows.
an uncursed oil lamp
2 uncursed wax candles
3 cursed tallow candles
an uncursed tallow candle
a blessed touchstone
an uncursed emerald
4 uncursed aquamarine stones
5 uncursed amethyst stones
a cursed amethyst stone
3 uncursed jacinth stones
5 uncursed rubies

Final attributes
You were piously aligned
You were fire resistant
You were cold resistant
You were sleep resistant
You were shock resistant
You were poison resistant
You were magic-protected
You saw invisible
You were warned
You had automatic searching
You were invisible to others
You were stealthy
You caused conflict
You could jump
You had teleport control
You were fast
You had reflection
You had free action
Your life would have been saved
You were extremely lucky (13)
You had extra luck
Bad luck did not time out for you
Good luck did not time out for you
You survived

Spells known in the end
Name Level Category Fail
a - protection 1* clerical 67%

Vanquished creatures
Orcus
Yeenoghu
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (4 times)
Death
Famine
an arch-lich
a high priest
Master Kaen
4 mastodons
Medusa
4 krakens
an iron golem
10 master liches
a storm giant
2 glass golems
a balrog
10 purple worms
2 silver dragons
8 red dragons
10 white dragons
2 orange dragons
7 black dragons
2 blue dragons
4 green dragons
a yellow dragon
18 minotaurs
4 jabberwocks
7 baluchitheria
13 Angels
4 demiliches
Vlad the Impaler
8 master mind flayers
3 Nazguls
6 pit fiends
2 sandestins
a baby silver dragon
a baby red dragon
2 baby black dragons
a baby green dragon
7 disenchanters
34 vampire lords
4 skeletons
18 aligned priests
8 captains
5 shades
10 liches
10 ice devils
8 nalfeshnees
2 black puddings //I resolved not to farm this game, because that is lame
17 vampires
9 lieutenants
34 ghosts
an archeologist
a barbarian
7 winged gargoyles
7 giant mimics
7 wumpuses // I still prefer wumpodes
2 air elementals
8 fire elementals
37 earth elementals
39 xorns
an erinys
10 mariliths
45 wraiths // lots of corpses!
4 brown puddings
a kitten
a giant rat
2244 creatures vanquished.

Voluntary challenges
You followed a strict vegan diet
You were an atheist
You never hit with a wielded weapon
You were illiterate
You never genocided any monsters
You never polymorphed an object
You never changed form
You used no wishes

Your skills at the end
Fighting Skills
martial arts [Grand Master]
Weapon Skills
(none)
Spellcasting Skills
healing spells [Basic]

Goodbye rax the Demigoddess...
You went to your reward with 2016092 points,
The Eyes of the Overworld (worth 2500 zorkmids and 6250 points)
Demonbane (worth 2500 zorkmids and 6250 points)
6 amethyst stones (worth 3600 zorkmids),
5 rubies (worth 17500 zorkmids),
4 aquamarine stones (worth 6000 zorkmids),
3 jacinth stones (worth 9750 zorkmids),
1 emerald (worth 2500 zorkmids),
3 amulets of life saving (worth 450 zorkmids),
and 0 pieces of gold, after 52935 moves.
Killer: ascended
You were level 18 with a maximum of 210 hit points when you ascended.

Knnn

Jun 25, 2007, 9:26:44 AM6/25/07
On Jun 24, 11:57 pm, Rachel Elizabeth Dillon <rac...@akrasiac.org>
wrote:

> So, I hate monks. I've only ascended one ever, and while it was
> weaponless, it wasn't vegetarian and it wasn't armorless and really I
> didn't enjoy it. So a week or two ago when I realized I needed only a
> human for a June hat trick --- and a consecutive neutral for a double
> top with bells --- I was miffed that everyone I asked suggested a monk
> as the most survivable class for a neutral human. I really wanted to just
> play another wizard, but I was eventually shamed into starting a monk.

> Voluntary challenges
> You followed a strict vegan diet
> You were an atheist
> You never hit with a wielded weapon
> You were illiterate
> You never genocided any monsters
> You never polymorphed an object
> You never changed form
> You used no wishes

I have nothing to say but congratulations and **WOW**.

I haven't looked at the TTYREC yet, but I will do so and take
notes....
(working on illiterate right now, but not even close to adding the
rest of it).

Congrats,
knnn.

David Damerell

Jun 25, 2007, 10:48:47 AM6/25/07
Quoting Rachel Elizabeth Dillon <rac...@akrasiac.org>:
>newerp, if you are reading this, your attempt to kill Kaen with the AC
>that armor must have given you and all of your potions of healing, extra
>healing, and full healing still in your bag was insane.

I have an ascension report which includes a double bones level where
someone had died with Grayswandir in their bag while trying to tickle a
minotaur to death with Magicbane. Very kind of them.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Olethros, Presuary - a weekend.

Kent Paul Dolan

Jun 25, 2007, 10:56:03 AM6/25/07
Rachel Elizabeth Dillon <rac...@akrasiac.org> wrote:
[Wow!]

Thanks for posting that nice write-up, R.E.D.,
it went straight into my spoiler subdirectory
AscensionExamples for further study if I ever
get to the point where ascensions are possible
to me.

xanthian.

People play conducts because NetHack is "too
easy" for them. People do _ten conducts at
once_ because the universe hates me and wants
to rub salt in my wounds-of-non-ascension.

Philipp Lucas

Jun 25, 2007, 11:11:48 AM6/25/07
Rachel Elizabeth Dillon <rac...@akrasiac.org> wrote:

> You followed a strict vegan diet
> You were an atheist
> You never hit with a wielded weapon
> You were illiterate
> You never genocided any monsters
> You never polymorphed an object
> You never changed form
> You used no wishes
>

>Killer: ascended

Wow. Very good achievement, well written. Congratulations!

--
Philipp Lucas
phl...@f-m.fm

carlh...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2007, 12:31:41 PM6/25/07

> Killer: ascended

Congratulations!!! I was very impressed when I saw you on the score
board! Especially so when I saw that you did it in a streak _and_ with
protection as your spell! Wow!

funcrunch

Jun 25, 2007, 12:59:04 PM6/25/07
On Jun 24, 8:57 pm, Rachel Elizabeth Dillon <rac...@akrasiac.org>
wrote:

> Apparently it's the same conduct set as Marvin and Tenaya's 10-conduct

> ascensions; eit_brad did foodless but not atheist.

Wow, congrats! You totally trumped my six-conduct female neutral monk
that I ascended around the same day. :-)

>Are there other 10-conduct games out there? Anyone manage 11 yet? :)

Shawn Moore (aka Eidolos) did all 12 as "Conducty1", but it was
accomplished by bones stuffing...

- funcrunch

Rachel Elizabeth Dillon

Jun 25, 2007, 1:01:01 PM6/25/07

Thanks!

I saw your dumplog, and I have a couple of questions, though really what
such an achievement deserves is a YAAP of its own. Specifically, though:

1. Extincted earth elementals and xorns?? Why?
2. How on earth did you get so many hit points?
3. Did you startscum just for sleep or for something else exciting?
4. How many tries did it take you? Any interesting failures?

Also, wearing ESP instead of lifesaving with AC -1 on Astral requires,
well, organs I don't have. In spades. :)

-r.

Janis Papanagnou

Jun 25, 2007, 1:31:25 PM6/25/07
Kent Paul Dolan wrote:

> People play conducts because NetHack is "too
> easy" for them. People do _ten conducts at
> once_ because the universe hates me and wants
> to rub salt in my wounds-of-non-ascension.

Would you feel better knowing that the Universe
completely _ignores_ you?!

Janis :-)

Kent Paul Dolan

Jun 25, 2007, 1:38:27 PM6/25/07

As a practicing atheist, I know that intellectually,
but emotionally it gets hard to accept as I extend
some particular streak of increadibly well-named
YASDs, like, say, starving to death while carrying
plentiful food, many games in a row.

Surely blaming an uncaring universe is easier than
pointing the finger of blame where it belongs!

Quantum valeat!

xanthian.

carlh...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2007, 1:51:11 PM6/25/07
On Jun 25, 10:01 am, Rachel Elizabeth Dillon <rac...@akrasiac.org>
wrote:

> On 2007-06-25, carlhnel...@gmail.com <carlhnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >> Killer: ascended
>
> > Congratulations!!! I was very impressed when I saw you on the score
> > board! Especially so when I saw that you did it in a streak _and_ with
> > protection as your spell! Wow!
>
> Thanks!
>
> I saw your dumplog, and I have a couple of questions, though really what
> such an achievement deserves is a YAAP of its own. Specifically, though:

Thanks for asking. I'm planning on writing up a YAAP but won't have
time until around July 1 :)

> 1. Extincted earth elementals and xorns?? Why?

I wanted more loot and found that xorns occasionally carry nice stuff
but they are not too hard to kill. I lack the patience to pudding
farm and also could not cast healing, but I do have the patience to
continuously press "n1000s", fight a monster, repeat. The trick was
finding the right place to perform this ritual:
a) Soko - too much variety in monsters
b) castle - waaayy too dangerous! eventually you'll get a titan and
things get out of hand fast, IME.
c)Quest home - no teleports so monsters could not escape with their
coveted wands of teleport and earth elementals and xorns are
bashable. Eventually I got the crystal ball that I was looking for.

> 2. How on earth did you get so many hit points?

I got lucky and found a nurse on the quest level that gave me over 100
hp. Also I alchemized and drank about 20 or 30 full healings.

> 3. Did you startscum just for sleep or for something else exciting?

I startscummed "just" for sleep.

> 4. How many tries did it take you? Any interesting failures?

I'm working on the statistics and will talk about them and the
plentiful failures in a separate YAAP.

> Also, wearing ESP instead of lifesaving with AC -1 on Astral requires,

I would have switched over if things had gotten dire, but the amulet
was worn for, shall we say, less honorable reasons...

Congratulations again!
Carl

Janis

Jun 27, 2007, 10:23:14 AM6/27/07
On 25 Jun., 05:57, Rachel Elizabeth Dillon <rac...@akrasiac.org>
wrote:

> I figured I wouldn't get another purple worm out of the polytrap, or at
> least that I didn't have the patience to. I had already explored the first
> four levels of Home for loot and XP, so I just had to dart down with the
> worm. I figured that even if I did get a wand of death, I'd rather have
> the worm, and so I went down to Home 5, which was ... a Kaen bonesfile.
>
> newerp, if you are reading this, your attempt to kill Kaen with the AC
> that armor must have given you and all of your potions of healing, extra
> healing, and full healing still in your bag was insane. However, all of
> your potions of healing were in your bag, and that probably saved my life.
> I alchemized to 200HP and, after taking a deep breath, went downstairs.
>
> Kaen woke up. [...]

I got somewhat confused about the topology (and I am uncertain at the
moment whether the quest goal level can be a bones level); so...
Was Kaen at Home 5 or did you descend from Home 5 down?
And the bonesfile was at Kaens level (quest goal) or one before?

Janis

Rachel Elizabeth Dillon

Jun 27, 2007, 10:26:07 AM6/27/07

I descended from Home 5 down.

> And the bonesfile was at Kaens level (quest goal) or one before?

The bonesfile was at Home 5, not quest goal. newerp had dragged Kaen
up the stairs like I did; he was, however, much less successful.
Luckily quest nemeses vanish if they kill you, so the bones was,
while foreboding, not dangerous.

-r.

Thomas Mayer

Jun 27, 2007, 10:28:57 AM6/27/07

The bones file cannot be left on a quest goal, but the one before from
http://www.steelypips.org/nethack/343/bone-343.html:

| Some monsters will never be saved in bones: the Wizard of Yendor, your
| Quest Nemesis and Leader, Vlad the Impaler, and Medusa.

cu Thomas
--
"Prisons are needed only to provide the illusion that courts and police
are effective. They're a kind of job insurance."

Janis

Jun 27, 2007, 10:36:49 AM6/27/07
On 27 Jun., 16:26, Rachel Elizabeth Dillon <rac...@akrasiac.org>
wrote:

> I descended from Home 5 down.
> The bonesfile was at Home 5, not quest goal. newerp had dragged Kaen
> up the stairs like I did; he was, however, much less successful.
> Luckily quest nemeses vanish if they kill you, so the bones was,
> while foreboding, not dangerous.

Aha. Thanks.

And congratulations!

It's always interesting to read about challenging conduct games. 8-)

Janis, the non-conductionist

Rachel Elizabeth Dillon

Jul 9, 2007, 8:16:50 AM7/9/07
On 2007-06-25, funcrunch <web-g...@funcrunch.org> wrote:
> On Jun 24, 8:57 pm, Rachel Elizabeth Dillon <rac...@akrasiac.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Apparently it's the same conduct set as Marvin and Tenaya's 10-conduct
>> ascensions; eit_brad did foodless but not atheist.
>
> Wow, congrats! You totally trumped my six-conduct female neutral monk
> that I ascended around the same day. :-)

Well, that's still quite the achievement :)

>>Are there other 10-conduct games out there? Anyone manage 11 yet? :)
>
> Shawn Moore (aka Eidolos) did all 12 as "Conducty1", but it was
> accomplished by bones stuffing...

Jorge Estrada accomplished a game with 9 conducts and "hit with a wielded
weapon three times":

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/599e6f1d20bf0cb9?&q=jorge+estrada+conduct+YAAP

He was foodless but not atheist, which seems like the way to go with
an early ring, since you can get a more reasonable AC and BUC-identify
objects. Oh, and holy water. The foodless puts you on the clock a little
more though, and I expect jumping left and right wouldn't be an option...

Jorge also attempted some 11- and maybe 12-conduct games that you can
read about with some judicious searching. Some of his plans actually make
a lot of sense, though it would take a lot of luck as well as skill to
put them into practice for a whole game...

-r.

Rachel Elizabeth Dillon

Jul 9, 2007, 8:17:55 AM7/9/07
On 2007-06-25, carlh...@gmail.com <carlh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 25, 10:01 am, Rachel Elizabeth Dillon <rac...@akrasiac.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> > Congratulations!!! I was very impressed when I saw you on the score
>> > board! Especially so when I saw that you did it in a streak _and_ with
>> > protection as your spell! Wow!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> I saw your dumplog, and I have a couple of questions, though really what
>> such an achievement deserves is a YAAP of its own. Specifically, though:
>
> Thanks for asking. I'm planning on writing up a YAAP but won't have
> time until around July 1 :)

It's July... :)

>> Also, wearing ESP instead of lifesaving with AC -1 on Astral requires,
> I would have switched over if things had gotten dire, but the amulet
> was worn for, shall we say, less honorable reasons...

Tut tut. :P

-r.