Musik doesn't open the drawbridge - why?

已查看 283 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Janis Papanagnou

未读,
2008年10月27日 05:26:312008/10/27
收件人
I'm puzzled...
Applying an uncursed bugle (the same effect with a tooled horn),
not improvising, enter five notes; "You extract a strange sound
from the bugle!", and nothing else happens. That's a knightsmove
away from the drawbridge, the same (after filling the moat with
boulders) from the diagonal square.
Never had that before; what's wrong here? And I cannot find any
hint in the source code.

Janis

Justin Hiltscher

未读,
2008年10月27日 12:01:072008/10/27
收件人

It sounds like you *are* standing on one of the correct spots. The message
seems to indicate that you hit none of the correct notes. Did you try ABCDE
and CDEFG, and neither of those got any tumbler clicks?

--
Justin Hiltscher

Janis Papanagnou

未读,
2008年10月27日 12:21:472008/10/27
收件人
Justin Hiltscher wrote:
> On 2008-10-27, Janis Papanagnou <janis_pa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm puzzled...
>>Applying an uncursed bugle (the same effect with a tooled horn),
>>not improvising, enter five notes; "You extract a strange sound
>>from the bugle!", and nothing else happens. That's a knightsmove
>>away from the drawbridge, the same (after filling the moat with
>>boulders) from the diagonal square.
>>Never had that before; what's wrong here? And I cannot find any
>>hint in the source code.
>
> It sounds like you *are* standing on one of the correct spots. The message
> seems to indicate that you hit none of the correct notes. Did you try ABCDE
> and CDEFG, and neither of those got any tumbler clicks?

Not those notes, but yes, combinations that exclude each other.
(Actually I used the mastermind solver and after a couple null-

Janis

JoaoSantos

未读,
2008年10月28日 05:59:422008/10/28
收件人
On Oct 27, 9:26 am, Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanag...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Sorry, but I have to make the obvious questions:
Did you try every possible key [A-G?]?
Was the bridge destroyed?

solidsnail

Janis Papanagnou

未读,
2008年10月28日 06:39:132008/10/28
收件人
JoaoSantos wrote:
> On Oct 27, 9:26 am, Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanag...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm puzzled...
>>Applying an uncursed bugle (the same effect with a tooled horn),
>>not improvising, enter five notes; "You extract a strange sound
>>from the bugle!", and nothing else happens. That's a knightsmove
>>away from the drawbridge, the same (after filling the moat with
>>boulders) from the diagonal square.
>>Never had that before; what's wrong here? And I cannot find any
>>hint in the source code.
>
> Sorry, but I have to make the obvious questions:
> Did you try every possible key [A-G?]?

Yes. I already answered that upthread in response to Justin.
Here is the first complete set of tries (I've done a couple
more)...

T:27660 ACGCG You extract a strange sound from the bugle!
T:27661 DFFFF You extract a strange sound from the bugle!
T:27662 BEEEE You extract a strange sound from the bugle!

> Was the bridge destroyed?

At that point not. But since I needed to enter the castle I
zapped it down after my unsuccessful tries to use music.

Janis

Duncan Booth

未读,
2008年10月28日 09:04:222008/10/28
收件人
Janis Papanagnou <janis_pa...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Had you turned off the "sound" configuration option?

Janis Papanagnou

未读,
2008年10月28日 09:12:202008/10/28
收件人

You mean the compile switch? - No, I play on NAO.
And I haven't changed anything in my config file there.

Janis

Carl

未读,
2008年10月28日 12:30:062008/10/28
收件人
On Oct 27, 2:26 am, Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanag...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

I had this happen once before, but in Sporkhack. I had a frost horn
and none of the notes worked. I called 611 and Derek said he hadn't
changed any of the code related to "opening" the drawbridge, only
closing, so he (IIRC) thought the problem was in the Vanilla code. No
resolution AFAIK.

Duncan Booth

未读,
2008年10月28日 16:02:132008/10/28
收件人
Janis Papanagnou <janis_pa...@hotmail.com> wrote:

No, I meant the runtime option 'O' followed by space then 'j' (your letter
may vary!). Perhaps you might have toggled it by mistake when meaning to
change some other option such as sortpack?

Janis Papanagnou

未读,
2008年10月28日 16:25:132008/10/28
收件人

Oh! A wizmode test on my local machine showed indeed the observed behaviour
if I set option 'sound' to 'false'. - BTW, what sense makes this option? -
But I just restarted my NAO game to inspect the options and 'sound' was set
as 'true'. (And I confirmed locally that this option is persistent across a
save game/continue game interrupt, so I think I have not changed this option
by accident.)

Janis

ran...@pactechdata.com

未读,
2008年10月28日 16:39:592008/10/28
收件人
On Oct 28, 6:12 am, Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanag...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Duncan Booth wrote:

It's not a compile-time setting, it's a runtime option.
And if it is set to false, the program treats you as deaf
and you would't be able to hear the bridge's tumbler noises.
(If you had gotten the tune right, the bridge would have
opened even though you couldn't hear the notes being played.)

You can disable sounds in order to suppress fountain
splashing noises and the like, but doing so can interfere
with other messages such as shopkeeper speech. And `sounds'
option (`flags.soundok' in the code) also gets toggled off
if you faint from hunger then back on when you recover
(doubtlessly some other situations too), so it isn't fully
under your control. It wouldn't ordinarily remain off unless
you set it that way--possibly via config file--and no game
events have since caused it to be set on. [I'm not aware of
any case where the program disables it and then leaves things
in that state; if you find one, be sure to let devteam know.
I suspect that the usual way for it to become mysteriously
disabled is for the player to make a typo when the option
setting menu is active. Since it's one of the true/false
group, simply typing its menu letter will toggle it without
any further feedback, but only if you have the menu up to
view or set other options....]

NetHack has behaved that way for ages. The development
code has finally split `sounds' into two separate internal
flags. One solely under user control to be able to suppress
atmospheric noises, the other solely under game control to
track whether or not the hero is able to hear things at all.

Duncan Booth

未读,
2008年10月28日 17:06:322008/10/28
收件人
ran...@pactechdata.com wrote:

> You can disable sounds in order to suppress fountain
> splashing noises and the like, but doing so can interfere
> with other messages such as shopkeeper speech. And `sounds'
> option (`flags.soundok' in the code) also gets toggled off
> if you faint from hunger then back on when you recover
> (doubtlessly some other situations too), so it isn't fully
> under your control. It wouldn't ordinarily remain off unless
> you set it that way--possibly via config file--and no game
> events have since caused it to be set on. [I'm not aware of
> any case where the program disables it and then leaves things
> in that state; if you find one, be sure to let devteam know.
> I suspect that the usual way for it to become mysteriously
> disabled is for the player to make a typo when the option
> setting menu is active. Since it's one of the true/false
> group, simply typing its menu letter will toggle it without
> any further feedback, but only if you have the menu up to
> view or set other options....]

It looks to me like there is a bug is that even if you've turned off sounds
then fainting will turn them back on again when you recover.

Also, the code is of course sufficiently contorted that I can't tell from
inspection what happens if you fall asleep while putting on some armor
which is disintegrated by a curse while you are unconscious, but it might
be possible that it turns sound off when that happens. (Fainting or falling
asleep sets afternmv to restore hearing, destroying armour clears aftermv,
but I can't tell if that can happen while you are fainted.)

Anyway, that's currently my best guess: if you fall asleep for some reason
and lose some armor (destroyed or stolen) while asleep, then I think sound
might remain off until the next time you fall asleep. If you checked later,
but had fallen asleep again in the meantime sound would be back on.

Janis, does your character have sleep resistance and plenty of food?

Martin Read

未读,
2008年10月28日 17:36:042008/10/28
收件人
ran...@pactechdata.com wrote:
>The development code has finally split `sounds' into two separate
>internal flags. One solely under user control to be able to suppress
>atmospheric noises, the other solely under game control to track
>whether or not the hero is able to hear things at all.

Aha! This is excellent news. (And it is good to know that things are
indeed happening to Nethack :)
--
\_\/_/ turbulence is certainty turbulence is friction between you and me
\ / every time we try to impose order we create chaos

Janis Papanagnou

未读,
2008年10月28日 23:14:052008/10/28
收件人
ran...@pactechdata.com wrote:
> On Oct 28, 6:12 am, Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanag...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>>Duncan Booth wrote:

>>>Had you turned off the "sound" configuration option?
>>
>>You mean the compile switch? - No, I play on NAO.
>>And I haven't changed anything in my config file there.
>
> It's not a compile-time setting, it's a runtime option.
> And if it is set to false, the program treats you as deaf
> and you would't be able to hear the bridge's tumbler noises.

As posted upthread, I haven't actively or by accident switched
options, as far as I can tell.

> (If you had gotten the tune right, the bridge would have
> opened even though you couldn't hear the notes being played.)

(Maybe, but that's highly improbable to happen, given the odds.)

> You can disable sounds in order to suppress fountain
> splashing noises and the like, but doing so can interfere
> with other messages such as shopkeeper speech. And `sounds'
> option (`flags.soundok' in the code) also gets toggled off
> if you faint from hunger then back on when you recover
> (doubtlessly some other situations too), so it isn't fully
> under your control. It wouldn't ordinarily remain off unless
> you set it that way--possibly via config file--and no game
> events have since caused it to be set on.

> [I'm not aware of
> any case where the program disables it and then leaves things
> in that state; if you find one, be sure to let devteam know.

I see no chance to detect/report such a case because I don't
see or know of the correlations to all possible cases.

It's been the first time that I've seen that to happen, and
the first thought I had was that it may have been an effect
of bad luck since I accidentally shattered a mirror, but a
wizmode test did not confirm that possibility.

Peeking into the sources didn't lead me far; a thought I had,
and nothing more than a thought, was that the atconsole() or
speaker() functions may have problems if the device is busy.
But playing at NAO through telnet made me doubt that to be
possible to be an issue.

> I suspect that the usual way for it to become mysteriously
> disabled is for the player to make a typo when the option
> setting menu is active.

Most probable, but the flag is set to 'true' as I confirmed
recently. (Then we would have to assume a double-mistake to
accidentally have switched that back; so it's very unlikely.)

(There are only a few cases where I actively switch options;
1. once in a game to turn on auto-pickup
2. once to turn off showexp at XL:14
3. once to turn off sparkle when it starts to annoy me
4. occasionally to modify pickuptypes in case to fetch
objects from trapdoors/holes or (pre-XL14) from the
quest leader
The only switch I possibly do more than once per game is 4.
I note that sparkle is an option adjacent to sound, but as I
said, it would require a multiple mistype, and I would also
think to have noticed if sparkle didn't become disabled.)

> Since it's one of the true/false
> group, simply typing its menu letter will toggle it without
> any further feedback, but only if you have the menu up to
> view or set other options....]
>
> NetHack has behaved that way for ages. The development
> code has finally split `sounds' into two separate internal
> flags. One solely under user control to be able to suppress
> atmospheric noises, the other solely under game control to
> track whether or not the hero is able to hear things at all.

Thanks for your explanations.

Janis

Janis Papanagnou

未读,
2008年10月28日 23:24:542008/10/28
收件人

Sorry, I cannot recall whether I had sleep resistance; *now* I have it but
at that former instance of time... - dunno. (Got it quite late since as a
chaotic elf I couldn't eat elves and didn't want to kill homunculi.)
While I have plenty of food I also cannot guarantee that I wasn't fainting
(if that's what you're aiming at); I am just human and sometimes forget to
eat. So whether that had been the case before that castle incident I also
cannot tell, unfortunately.

Janis

Janis Papanagnou

未读,
2008年10月28日 23:32:082008/10/28
收件人
Carl wrote:
> On Oct 27, 2:26 am, Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanag...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>>[ineffective bugle at castle drawbridge]

> I had this happen once before, but in Sporkhack. I had a frost horn
> and none of the notes worked. I called 611 and Derek said he hadn't
> changed any of the code related to "opening" the drawbridge, only
> closing, so he (IIRC) thought the problem was in the Vanilla code. No
> resolution AFAIK.

Good to know of a second case experienced. Thanks!

Janis

Janis Papanagnou

未读,
2008年10月29日 00:34:442008/10/29
收件人
Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> (There are only a few cases where I actively switch options;
> 1. once in a game to turn on auto-pickup

Oops! I meant auto-dig.

> 2. once to turn off showexp at XL:14
> 3. once to turn off sparkle when it starts to annoy me
> 4. occasionally to modify pickuptypes in case to fetch
> objects from trapdoors/holes or (pre-XL14) from the
> quest leader

> [...]

Janis

JoaoSantos

未读,
2008年10月29日 07:53:592008/10/29
收件人

> > Sorry, but I have to make the obvious questions:
> > Did you try every possible key [A-G?]?
>
> Yes. I already answered that upthread in response to Justin.

Sorry, but for some reason the posts I made that day
where seriously delayed. At that time it would have
been your first response.

Janis Papanagnou

未读,
2008年10月29日 09:24:042008/10/29
收件人

No problem. Just wanted to point it out in case you missed it
or want to look it up from another source (like Google Groups).

Janis

JoaoSantos

未读,
2008年10月29日 09:37:482008/10/29
收件人

> or want to look it up from another source (like Google Groups).

I'm using google groups at the moment.
By the way, what do Real Men use?

Rachel Elizabeth Dillon

未读,
2008年10月29日 09:53:552008/10/29
收件人

Can't speak for them, but I use slrn.

-r.

Raisse the Thaumaturge

未读,
2008年10月29日 10:00:022008/10/29
收件人

Can't speak for them either, but I use KMail or Thunderbird.

Raisse, killed by a human zombie
--
ir...@valdyas.org
LegoHack: (new URL!) http://www.valdyas.org/irina/stuff/legohack/

Martin Read

未读,
2008年10月29日 17:06:252008/10/29
收件人

trn, running in a shell account on an acquaintance's colocated machine
with its own news spool and feeds.

G-Mon

未读,
2008年10月30日 00:51:322008/10/30
收件人
On 29 Oct 2008, JoaoSantos <joao.s...@gmail.com> wrote in

> I'm using google groups at the moment.
> By the way, what do Real Men use?

Can't speak for the others, but I use Xnews on my main compo
(http://xnews.newsguy.com) and Thunderbird on any that doesn't have
Xnews. Although I will use Google Groups for searching....

Simon Richard Clarkstone

未读,
2008年11月1日 09:04:022008/11/1
收件人
Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>>
>> (There are only a few cases where I actively switch options;
>> 1. once in a game to turn on auto-pickup
>
> Oops! I meant auto-dig.

You can set that in the config file or the environment variable, you know.

--
Simon Richard Clarkstone:
s.r.cl?rkst?n?@dunelm.org.uk / s?m?n_cl?rkst?n?@yahoo.co.uk

Simon Richard Clarkstone

未读,
2008年11月1日 09:09:182008/11/1
收件人
Duncan Booth wrote:
> Also, the code is of course sufficiently contorted that I can't tell from
> inspection what happens if you fall asleep while putting on some armor
> which is disintegrated by a curse while you are unconscious, but it might
> be possible that it turns sound off when that happens. (Fainting or falling
> asleep sets afternmv to restore hearing, destroying armour clears aftermv,
> but I can't tell if that can happen while you are fainted.)

Ah, gotta love Nethack's gameplay. How many other games can boast
edge-cases like that? ;-)

Duncan Booth

未读,
2008年11月1日 11:11:432008/11/1
收件人
Janis Papanagnou <janis_pa...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I cannot recall whether I had sleep resistance; *now* I have it
> but at that former instance of time... - dunno. (Got it quite late
> since as a chaotic elf I couldn't eat elves and didn't want to kill
> homunculi.) While I have plenty of food I also cannot guarantee that I
> wasn't fainting (if that's what you're aiming at); I am just human and
> sometimes forget to eat. So whether that had been the case before that
> castle incident I also cannot tell, unfortunately.

After trying a variety of combinations in wizard mode I managed to verify
the following scenarios:

1) Turn off sound then quaff a potion of sleeping. Sound is on again when
you wake up.

2) Quaff a potion of sleeping and while asleep a nymph steals some armour.
When you wake up sound is turned off.

What do you want to drink? [m or ?*]
You suddenly fall asleep!
The mountain nymph charms you. You gladly start removing your armor.
The combat suddenly awakens you.
The mountain nymph steals a +1 leather jacket!

Even the message sequence seems inappropriate.

Janis Papanagnou

未读,
2008年11月1日 12:42:112008/11/1
收件人
Simon Richard Clarkstone wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>>>
>>> (There are only a few cases where I actively switch options;
>>> 1. once in a game to turn on auto-pickup
>>
>> Oops! I meant auto-dig.
>
> You can set that in the config file or the environment variable, you know.

Yes, I know. Thanks. The same with 'sparkle'; I think I could as well
turn off both by default, but I don't mind the "effort" in this case.

Janis

0 个新帖子