Ultra-Turbo Ascension

charlie

Jan 11, 2003, 1:59:04 PM1/11/03
Looking back at various record YAAPs, I've started theorizing and testing in Explore mode
the limits for ultra-fast ascensions.

The primary limit for ascensions is the Quest.  You have to be piously aligned to have your quest leader send you on the Quest, and it is impossible to become piously aligned before turn 2000. Therefore, the question becomes: how few turns after being accepted on the quest can one ascend?

The answer depends on which version of nethack you are playing.  In 3.3.0, there is a huge bug that allows you to levelport all the way from Moloch's sanctum to level 1 while the pet you are riding is carrying the Amulet of Yendor.  This saves hundreds of moves compared with any other method.  Also in 3.3.0, the Eyes of the Overworld are highly overpowered when combined with jumping, allowing you to leap through walls and over opponents.  Therefore, for a speedy ascension, stick with 3.3.0.

If one wishes to make one of these ascensions which is actually accepted into the high-score file, one's best bet is to use a deliberately created bonesfile.  A lazy person would create the bones using wizmode.  The only marginally acceptable way is the long, hard way, without savescumming. After building up a powerful character with all the right equipment saved, the player burns Elbereth on the upstairs at the top of the Gnomish mines, drops all of his inventory on top of it, then walks a few steps away and force-bolts himself to death.

The plan of action for the winning player would be as follows:
Race to the mines.  If you don't find the bones, save and start a new player.
Once on the bones, equip oneself, gain intrinsics, gain levels, learn spells.
Pick up the quest artifacts (ouch), identify all the equipment, maximize luck (gems/unicorn). At this point, the player should be somewhere around turn 600-700, should have a full ascension kit, and should be ready to find Vlad and the Vib. square.  If he is not at level 14 yet, he should plan on wraith-luring from the VotD to the Castle, which worked well in 3.3.0. Levelport to the VotD, levelport 8 levels down.  Magic-map, dig, repeat until you find the double upstairs.  Race up (Eyes of Overworld and jumping), and slay Vlad. Levelport to lvl99.  Start hunting for the vib. square.  When you find it, drop the candlabrum, burn Elbereth, and leave.  Levelport to level 10, start searching for the portal to the quest, (confused gold detection).  Enter the quest, magic map, then leave.  Find an altar (minetown if required) and sac. unicorns for alignment.  Around turn 1800 head for Rodney.  Try to kill him around turn 1950, grab the book, then head back to the quest.  After you get accepted, levelport straight to the bottom, magic map, and kill your QN.  Grab the bell, portal to the bottom of Hell, open the stairs, then levelport down again.  Jump into the temple, kill the High Priest, animate your pet dragon, saddle him, lure him to pick up the amulet, then ride him.  Levelport to level 1,
teleport to the stairs, dismount, grab the amulet, and do the planes.
On Astral, ignore all enemies, and jump towards the altars.  Find the right one or use a helm of Opp. Align., then ascend.

Assuming Water isn't too hard, the ascension should take under 2500 turns.

I tested this method with a wizmode bones, and it worked perfectly.

I had only one serious accident.  When a cockatrice managed to start me transforming into stone, I used stone-to-flesh on myself.  I destroyed my luckstone, my gems, and my ring of levitation.

The voice of Chih Sung-tzu booms: "Congratulations, mortal!"--More--

                                           ---+
                                          ····  ··¦
                                   +-------+··¦
                                   ¦·······¦··¦
                                   ¦··V@···¦··¦               +----
                                   ¦_·A@···¦··¦               ¦···
                                   ¦·······¦··¦  +-     -+   ++··+-------+
                                   ¦·······¦··¦ ++       ++ ++···¦·······¦
                                ¦  +---+---+··¦++         +-+····¦·······¦
                                ¦·············¦¦       $   %·····¦···_···¦
                                +-+·········+-+++         +-+····¦·······¦
                                  +---- ----+   ++       ++ ++···¦·······¦
                                            +    +---+---+   ++··+-------+  ¦
                                             ------+   ¦      ¦·············¦
                                             ¦         ¦      +-------------+
                                            ++   +-----
                                            +   `¦
                                               +-+
                                               ¦

Judas the Canon              St:25 Dx:18 Co:18 In:22 Wi:23 Ch:18  Neutral
Astral Plane $:0  HP:106(151) Pw:286(286) AC:-29 Xp:21/11754167 T:2486

"In return for thy service, I grant thee the gift of Immortality!"--More--

You ascend to the status of Demigod...--More--

Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (y)

 Amulets
 j - an amulet of life saving
 L - a blessed amulet of unchanging
 M - a blessed amulet of magical breathing
 R - the blessed Eye of the Aethiopica
 Weapons
 a - the blessed rustproof +2 Magicbane (weapon in hand)
 D - the blessed +0 Vorpal Blade
 Armor
 b - a blessed fireproof +5 pair of jumping boots (being worn)
 c - a blessed greased rustproof +5 helm of brilliance (being worn)
 d - a blessed +5 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)
 g - a blessed fireproof +5 pair of gauntlets of dexterity
 h - a blessed greased fireproof +5 robe (being worn)
 k - a +0 pair of water walking boots
 Y - a +0 cloak of magic resistance
 Z - a blessed rustproof +5 pair of gauntlets of power (being worn)
 Comestibles
 V - a cockatrice egg
 Spellbooks
 y - the blessed Book of the Dead
 Potions
 H - a potion of extra healing
 Rings
 I - a ring of polymorph control
 J - a blessed ring of slow digestion (on right hand)
 Wands
 m - a blessed wand of enlightenment (0:10)
 n - a wand of create monster (0:1)
 o - a blessed wand of polymorph (0:7)
 p - a blessed wand of fire (0:5)
 q - a blessed wand of death (0:2)
 r - a blessed wand of make invisible (0:4)
 s - a blessed wand of sleep (0:4)
 t - a blessed wand of undead turning (0:4)
 u - a blessed wand of teleportation (1:5)
 v - a blessed wand of speed monster (0:2)
 z - a wand of teleportation (0:0)
 G - a cursed wand of fire (0:7)
 P - a wand of digging (0:2)
 S - a wand of speed monster (0:1)
 Tools
 f - a sack
 l - the Candelabrum of Invocation (7 candles attached)
 x - the Bell of Opening (0:2)
 A - a blessed horn of plenty (0:12)
 B - a magic whistle
 C - a magic marker (0:37)
 E - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
 N - a blindfold
 O - the blessed Eyes of the Overworld (being worn)
 Q - a skeleton key
 U - a blessed bag of holding
The sack is empty.--More--
Contents of the bag of holding:

5 blessed scrolls of charging
2 scrolls of gold detection
a potion of fruit juice
a cursed potion of polymorph
a potion of blindness
a scroll of teleportation
a scroll of fire
a potion of monster detection
a scroll of teleportation
a scroll of light
2 cursed scrolls of teleportation
a cursed scroll of create monster
a potion of gain energy
42 cockatrice eggs
5 blessed scrolls of identify
a blessed scroll of charging
a scroll of magic mapping
a cursed scroll of destroy armor
a scroll of scare monster
a blessed potion of restore ability
a potion of unholy water
a potion of confusion
3 potions of holy water
11978 gold pieces
3 scrolls of magic mapping
2 cursed scrolls of genocide
a potion of water
4 potions of holy water
a cursed figurine of a gray unicorn
--More--

Final Attributes:

You were piously aligned.
You were fire resistant.
You were cold resistant.
You were sleep resistant.
You were disintegration-resistant.
You were shock resistant.
You were poison resistant.
You were magic-protected.
You saw invisible.
You were telepathic.
You were warned.
You were invisible to others.
You could jump.
You could teleport.
You had teleport control.
You had slower digestion.
You were very fast.
You had reflection.
You were very lucky.
You survived.
--More--
Do you want an account of creatures vanquished? [ynq] (n)
Vanquished creatures:

The Wizard of Yendor (3 times)
Pestilence
2 arch-liches
a high priest
a kraken
a master lich
a storm giant
a titan
a glass golem
Nalzok
a purple worm
a silver dragon
a green dragon
a yellow dragon
2 minotaurs
a baluchitherium
Vlad the Impaler
a stone golem
a hell hound
2 vampire lords
an aligned priest
a captain
a lurker above
an Aleax
2 ettins
a ghost
a winged gargoyle
a fire giant
a rock troll
a bone devil
a stalker
2 air elementals
3 water elementals
a barbed devil
2 steam vortices
a troll
3 electric eels
a gelatinous cube
a dwarf king
an ochre jelly
a mountain centaur
a green slime
a python
a cobra
2 cockatrices
2 gremlins
a leprechaun
a gnome king
a rust monster
2 giant eels
a chickatrice
6 black unicorns
a snake
an ape
2 human zombies
a mountain nymph
5 Uruk-hai
a woodchuck
a fog cloud
3 gnome lords
a floating eye
3 dwarves
3 kobold shamans
2 large kobolds
3 hobgoblins
6 gnomes
a gecko
a fox
a bat
a lichen
a newt

110 creatures vanquished.

Do you want to see your conduct? [ynq] (y)

Voluntary challenges:

You never genocided any monsters.
You never polymorphed an object.
You never changed form.
You used no wishes.
--More--

Goodbye Judas the Demigod...

You and the guardian Angel of Chih Sung-tzu
went to your reward with 367519 points,
Magicbane (worth 400 zorkmids and 1000 points)
Vorpal Blade (worth 1500 zorkmids and 3750 points)
The Eyes of the Overworld (worth 8000 zorkmids and 20000 points)
The Eye of the Aethiopica (worth 15000 zorkmids and 37500 points)
       1 amulet of ESP (worth 150 zorkmids),
       1 amulet of life saving (worth 150 zorkmids),
       1 amulet of unchanging (worth 150 zorkmids),
       1 amulet of magical breathing (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 11978 pieces of gold, after 2486 moves.
You were level 21 with a maximum of 151 hit points when you ascended.

You made the top ten list!

 No  Points     Name                                                   Hp [max]
  2     367519  Judas-Pri-Hum-Mal-Neu ascended to demigod-hood.       106 [151]

Steveyo

Jan 12, 2003, 11:02:10 AM1/12/03
charlie wrote:
> (ultra fast ascension story using v3.3.0 bugs)

Your game was an interesting exersize. <2500 turns is pretty quick, for
sure!

How fast can it be done without cheating and in 3.4.0, even with wizmode and
wishing? Obviously, without wizmode, the character could still find a
/oWishing early and quickly get enough AK items.

--
Steveyo

Jimmy_B

Jan 12, 2003, 4:25:57 PM1/12/03

The same bones pile could be created legitimately, by sacrificing an
ascendable character. Without the level-teleporting bug, an alternative
would be to stock many cursed potions of gain level, which allow you to
skip no-teleport levels, and a HoOA to be chaotic, which should
theoretically take about 100 turns, instead of just a few (but I haven't
tested). Astral plane is going to be a little tricky. Obviously,
blessed-genociding insects is required, and also as many summoning
creatures as possible (*liches, titans); this can be done during the
2000-turn waiting period. Losing jumping complicates things quite a bit,
of course; I think the best solution would be to bring along a large
collection of wands of teleport and break them to clear out the monsters.

Rast

Jan 12, 2003, 9:06:53 PM1/12/03
Jimmy_B wrote on Sun, 12 Jan 2003 21:25:57 GMT in article
<F3lU9.1571$fj2...@tornadotest1.news.pas.earthlink.net>:

> Steveyo wrote:
> > charlie wrote:
> >
> >>(ultra fast ascension story using v3.3.0 bugs)
> >

> > Your game was an interesting exersize. <2500 turns is pretty quick, for
> > sure!
> >
> > How fast can it be done without cheating and in 3.4.0, even with wizmode and
> > wishing? Obviously, without wizmode, the character could still find a
> > /oWishing early and quickly get enough AK items.
>
> The same bones pile could be created legitimately, by sacrificing an
> ascendable character.

That's not "legitimate".

--
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious

Steveyo

Jan 12, 2003, 11:13:56 PM1/12/03
"Jimmy_B" wrote:
> Steveyo wrote:
> > charlie wrote:
> >>(ultra fast ascension story using v3.3.0 bugs)

> > How fast can it be done without cheating and in 3.4.0, even with wizmode

and
> > wishing? Obviously, without wizmode, the character could still find a
> > /oWishing early and quickly get enough AK items.

> The same bones pile could be created legitimately, by sacrificing an
> ascendable character

Is it legitimate to do so? Ah, the endless debate...

>...Without the level-teleporting bug, an alternative

> would be to stock many cursed potions of gain level

Err...stockpile in a speed game? I suppose the stockpile could be in the
bones, but back to that debate...

> blessed-genociding insects is required, and also as many summoning
> creatures as possible (*liches, titans); this can be done during the
> 2000-turn waiting period.

Again, only if the scrolls are in the bones, right?

--
Steveyo

ka...@henchmonkey.org

Jan 13, 2003, 8:58:10 AM1/13/03
Rast <ra...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Jimmy_B wrote on Sun, 12 Jan 2003 21:25:57 GMT in article
>>
>> The same bones pile could be created legitimately, by sacrificing an
>> ascendable character.
>
> That's not "legitimate".

I think it's definitely legitamate, but that the number of turns spent
on the previous character need to be counted. Otherwise, you're just
doing a lot of preparatory work but not counting it in the final tally.

katre

Pat Rankin

Jan 13, 2003, 9:32:20 AM1/13/03
In article <6kgU9.141364$eq2.30...@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,\
"Steveyo" <ste...@cannedmeat.nycap.rr.com> writes...

> How fast can it be done without cheating and in 3.4.0, even with wizmode
> and wishing? Obviously, without wizmode, the character could still find
> a /oWishing early and quickly get enough AK items.

This has come up before. There's not much challange to ascending
in wizard mode: wish for the Amulet of Yendor; move up to get into the
endgame; level teleport to "astral" or -5; wish for an altar of your
alignment; #offer. The wishing and level teleport steps don't use up
any turns.

|Goodbye wizard the Demigoddess...
|
|You and the guardian Angel of Camaxtli
|went to your reward with 145 points,
|and 0 pieces of gold, after 2 moves.
|You were level 1 with a maximum of 13 hit points when you ascended.

Prior to 3.4.0, you didn't need the level teleport step (making an altar
on the Plane of Earth would suffice), but that didn't actually save any
turns. If you don't manufacture your own altar, then you need to map
the last level (doesn't use a turn) and make one or more teleports (these
do use turns, and having the Amulet might interfere some of the time) to
reach the right altar (you won't know which one is the right one until
you visit one or two of them).

All in all, there isn't much point unless you're testing the end of
game fanfare....

TibetianTick

Jan 13, 2003, 1:05:20 PM1/13/03
Rast <ra...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.188be8f46...@pnews.dmv.com>...

> Jimmy_B wrote on Sun, 12 Jan 2003 21:25:57 GMT in article
> <F3lU9.1571$fj2...@tornadotest1.news.pas.earthlink.net>:
[snip]

> > The same bones pile could be created legitimately, by sacrificing an
> > ascendable character.
>
> That's not "legitimate".

I the this thread and the original poster are questioning what the
theoretical limit is on quick ascentions. The idea of the bones
stock-pile is legit only in the sense that it represents an absurdly
ideal mathematic possibility and slap-happy RGRN (? I always forget
this acronym). So if the RGRN happened to create something like 20
/WoWs by the first mine level this would be similar to the bones file.
[AFAIK there is no limit on the possible number of /WoW in a game.]
Or if some ascendible character actually did die in the mines of
extreme stupidity then you'd get the same result that the original
poster is forcing to happen.

In order to "prove" (as much as it's worth proving) that the
ultra-turbo ascention is possible the original poster is just stacking
the deck. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as he's not
making a competition out of it.

-tt

Yeti Pino

Jan 13, 2003, 2:28:07 PM1/13/03
Pat Rankin wrote:
> This has come up before. There's not much challange to ascending
> in wizard mode: wish for the Amulet of Yendor; move up to get into the
> endgame; level teleport to "astral" or -5; wish for an altar of your
> alignment; #offer. The wishing and level teleport steps don't use up
> any turns.

He was not trying to have a challenge. He just wants to prove that it
can be done. In a real game you cannot wish for the amulet so in _his
test in wizard mode_ he couldn't just wish for it!

Personally I really like to read about absurd challenges (naked,
pacifist, atheist, veganist, illiterate extinctionists) so I hope
people don't get too discouraged to post their ideas and attempts.

> All in all, there isn't much point unless you're testing the end of
> game fanfare....

yeti

Nan Wang

Jan 13, 2003, 2:59:13 PM1/13/03
Yeti Pino <yet...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Pat Rankin wrote:
>> This has come up before. There's not much challange to ascending
>> in wizard mode: wish for the Amulet of Yendor; move up to get into the
>> endgame; level teleport to "astral" or -5; wish for an altar of your
>> alignment; #offer. The wishing and level teleport steps don't use up
>> any turns.

> He was not trying to have a challenge. He just wants to prove that it
> can be done. In a real game you cannot wish for the amulet so in _his
> test in wizard mode_ he couldn't just wish for it!

Someone posted a method to get to the castle WoW in about 100 moves as
a wizard with the right starting equipment. So it's a matter of finding
enough potions of gain level to go on the quest after that.

Andrew Petrarca

Jan 13, 2003, 3:34:02 PM1/13/03
According to Nan Wang <nw...@panix.com>:

> Someone posted a method to get to the castle WoW in about 100 moves as
> a wizard with the right starting equipment. So it's a matter of finding
> enough potions of gain level to go on the quest after that.

That sounds interesting. Can you provide a reference? I'd like to read that.

--
Bitwise, Andrew. &

Rast

Jan 13, 2003, 3:57:39 PM1/13/03
Andrew Petrarca wrote on 13 Jan 2003 20:34:02 GMT in article
<10424900...@hotblack.gweep.net>:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=2e7511b75c728eed&seekm=MPG.1867d1
c98936b128989f6a%40pnews.dmv.com

Jason Dorje Short

Jan 13, 2003, 4:38:38 PM1/13/03
Nan Wang wrote:

> Someone posted a method to get to the castle WoW in about 100 moves as
> a wizard with the right starting equipment. So it's a matter of finding
> enough potions of gain level to go on the quest after that.

I'm told you still can't go on the quest before turn 2000 because of
alignment restrictions.

jason

Yeti Pino

Jan 13, 2003, 7:05:51 PM1/13/03
Jason Dorje Short wrote:

> Nan Wang wrote:
>

> I'm told you still can't go on the quest before turn 2000 because of
> alignment restrictions.
>
> jason

How about reverse genociding the right type of unicorn?

yeti

Andrew Petrarca

Jan 14, 2003, 12:32:18 AM1/14/03

Dylan O'Donnell

Jan 14, 2003, 4:45:11 AM1/14/03
Yeti Pino <yet...@hotmail.com> writes:
> Jason Dorje Short wrote:

> > I'm told you still can't go on the quest before turn 2000 because of
> > alignment restrictions.
> > jason
>
> How about reverse genociding the right type of unicorn?

Won't help. You're up against this, from align.h:

#define ALIGNLIM (10L + (moves/200L))

which caps your alignment from any gain (bar wizard mode).

: "Money lost, little lost; honor lost, much lost; pluck lost, all lost." :
: -- NetHack, rumors.tru :

Lars Kecke

Jan 14, 2003, 4:12:51 AM1/14/03
Yeti Pino wrote:

> Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> >
> > I'm told you still can't go on the quest before turn 2000 because of
> > alignment restrictions.
> >
> > jason
> >

> How about reverse genociding the right type of unicorn?

Doesn't help. You have an alignment cap that starts at 10 and rises by
one for every 200 turns.

Lars

Yeti Pino

Jan 14, 2003, 8:04:44 PM1/14/03

But in my current game (as a pacifist) I was not allowed to do the
quest, but after reverse genociding the right type of unicorns and
sacrificing them I was allowed. This action seems to improve your
alignment.

Do I need the alignment based on the amount of turns to get at
piously aligned?

And if so, why has your alignment anything to do with the amount
of turns played? I am not doing anything religious in those turns.

yeti

Tars_Tarkas

Jan 14, 2003, 8:12:06 PM1/14/03
Yeti Pino wrote:
> Lars Kecke wrote:
>
>> Yeti Pino wrote:
>>
>>> Jason Dorje Short wrote:
>>>
>>> How about reverse genociding the right type of unicorn?
>>>

>> Doesn't help. You have an alignment cap that starts at 10 and rises by
>> one for every 200 turns.
>>
>> Lars
>

> But in my current game (as a pacifist) I was not allowed to do the
> quest, but after reverse genociding the right type of unicorns and
> sacrificing them I was allowed. This action seems to improve your
> alignment.

Yes, it does, but only to a certain limit, which is what Lars ment
starts at 10 and rises by 1 per every 200 turns...

> Do I need the alignment based on the amount of turns to get at
> piously aligned?

Well, it takes some turns tuntil your alignment can reach a point at
which you are piously aligned. IIRC correctly, you need alignemnt >= 20
to be piously aligned, so you need to play at least 2000 turns, so you
can actually get your alignment to 20, because otherwise it'll be
limited to a lower number...

> And if so, why has your alignment anything to do with the amount
> of turns played? I am not doing anything religious in those turns.

Because in addition to NHINRL[1] and NHINF[2] and NHINC[3] and
NHINMT[4], nethack doesn't make any sense at all, but it's great fun and
that's why I'm still playing...

[1]Nethack is not real life
[2]Nethack is not fair
[3]Nethack is not consistent
[4]Nethack is not many things
[5]Nethack is nethack (most of the time)
--
GP_Spukgestalt, hail Eris, concubine of confusion.