YASD

7aboir

Nov 7, 2009, 4:46:38 PM11/7/09
a YASD worth to mention: I was wrongly thinking that pit next to water
should be filled in. Well apparently not the "trap" pits...
...while on top level of wizard tower in front of the moat while weilding a
handy rubber chicken, and just stoned that stupid monster that was probably
trapped in the pit. That was my first shot to devnull this year. I wonder
if I will give it another try.

Máté

Nov 8, 2009, 4:55:58 PM11/8/09
Hello!

I started to play nethack for a few days ago, and i noticed, a nymph
and a wererat can be deathly dangerous:

You hit the wererat.
The wererat bites!
The beautiful mountain nymph seduces you and you taking off your
armor.
Th mountain nymph pretends to be friendly.
The wererat summons help!
The wererat bites!
The beautiful mountain nymph seduces you and you taking off your
helmet.
The sewer rat bites!
The wererat summons help!
The wererat bites!
The mountain nymph stole a scroll labeled ZELGO MER.
The mountain nymph stole an uncursed lock pick.
The wererat changes into a human.
The sewer rat bites!
The sewer rat bites!
The sewer rat bites!
The sewer rat bites!
The sewer rat bites!
The sewer rat bites!
The wererat changes into a rat.
The wererat summons help!
The wererat bites!
The mountain nymph stole an uncursed +1 ring mail.
The beautiful mountain nymph seduces you and you start taking off your
shield.
The sewer rat bites!
The sewer rat bites!
The sewer rat bites!
The sewer rat bites!
The sewer rat bites!
The sewer rat bites!
The wewrat bites!
You die...

Matthew

G-Mon

Nov 8, 2009, 5:46:50 PM11/8/09
On 08 Nov 2009, M�t� <matthe...@gmail.com> wrote in
:

> Hello!
>
> I started to play nethack for a few days ago, and i noticed, a
> nymph and a wererat can be deathly dangerous:
>
> You hit the wererat.
> The wererat bites!
> The beautiful mountain nymph seduces you and you taking off your
> armor.

(snip)

> The beautiful mountain nymph seduces you and you start taking off
> your shield.

(sewer rat muncies snipped)

> The wewrat bites!
> You die...

Next time you're in this situation, an E-word might help you: nymphs
and werecreatures in nonhuman form respect it. Write it in the dust, if
you have to; you have about a 73% chance per attempt of getting it
right, and you'll get a much-needed breather if it works.

APLer

Nov 8, 2009, 6:13:22 PM11/8/09

> Hello!

> I started to play nethack for a few days ago, and i noticed, a nymph
> and a wererat can be deathly dangerous:
>
> You hit the wererat.
> The wererat bites!
> The beautiful mountain nymph seduces you and you taking off your
> armor.
> Th mountain nymph pretends to be friendly.

How did the nymph re-appear? They teleport away once they've stolen
something.

That's 6 teleports *before* the wererat killed you. *Very* doubtful that
the nymph reappeared in time *each* time.

If you were on a non-teleport level, you just back through a doorway and kill the nymph. A simple two attack kill at worst.

Janis Papanagnou

Nov 8, 2009, 6:51:20 PM11/8/09
G-Mon wrote:
> On 08 Nov 2009, Mᅵtᅵ <matthe...@gmail.com> wrote in
>>

>> I started to play nethack for a few days ago, and i noticed, a
>> nymph and a wererat can be deathly dangerous:
>>
>> You hit the wererat.
>> The wererat bites!
>> The beautiful mountain nymph seduces you and you taking off your
>> armor.
>
> (snip)
>
>> The beautiful mountain nymph seduces you and you start taking off
>> your shield.
>
> (sewer rat muncies snipped)
>
>> The wewrat bites!
>> You die...
>
> Next time you're in this situation, an E-word might help you: nymphs
> and werecreatures in nonhuman form respect it. Write it in the dust, if
> you have to; you have about a 73% chance per attempt of getting it
> right, and you'll get a much-needed breather if it works.

And avoid to wake up the nymphs in the first place; leave them alone.
Do no door/chest/item kicking; that will wake up sleeping monsters on
the same level, even if they are far away. That was probably the result
of a home-made situation. In case you are importuned by a gang without
own support, flee into some corridor where you can take them one by one,
or flee the level to prepare some more in case the creatures' toughness
will likely exceed your own.

Janis

Pat Rankin

Nov 8, 2009, 6:56:11 PM11/8/09
On Nov 8, 3:13 pm, APLer <AP...@floor.tilde> wrote:
> Máté <matthew.li...@gmail.com> wrote innews:1196aa96-c4cb-4e24...@j4g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:
[...]

>> The beautiful mountain nymph seduces you and you taking off your
>> armor.

That should say "and you _start_ taking off your armor."
I'm sure it's just a typo in the post rather than a message
bug in the program. Note that the nymph has caused the hero
to begin doing something; she's no longer doing that herself.

>> Th mountain nymph pretends to be friendly.
>
> How did the nymph re-appear? They teleport away once they've stolen
> something.

Only if the hero is able to move. Taking off the suit
of armor takes several turns, and he was stuck in place while
performing that action. The nymph would stay put and was free
to keep attacking during that time, as were the other things
which nibbled away at him.

If he had been wearing a cloak, the nymph would have had
to take it before getting access to the suit. And since cloaks
come off immediately, she would have teleported away because
the hero could move normally (unless he was already stuck in
place for some other reason, which wasn't the case here). So a
cloak would have prevented this death, or at least deferred it
until the nymph and hero met up again.

APLer

Nov 8, 2009, 7:55:01 PM11/8/09
Pat Rankin <ran...@pactechdata.com> wrote in

> On Nov 8, 3:13�pm, APLer <AP...@floor.tilde> wrote:

>> M�t� <matthew.li...@gmail.com> wrote innews:1196aa96-c4cb-4e24-b20b-4
> b5d5a...@j4g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

> [...]
>>> The beautiful mountain nymph seduces you and you taking off your
>>> armor.
>
> That should say "and you _start_ taking off your armor."
> I'm sure it's just a typo in the post rather than a message
> bug in the program. Note that the nymph has caused the hero
> to begin doing something; she's no longer doing that herself.
>
>>> Th mountain nymph pretends to be friendly.
>>
>> How did the nymph re-appear? They teleport away once they've stolen
>> something.
>
> Only if the hero is able to move.

No, as *soon* as it's stolen. If the player was paralyzed or asleep, the
wererat (and company) would have killed him before he recovered.

> Taking off the suit
> of armor takes several turns, and he was stuck in place while
> performing that action. The nymph would stay put and was free
> to keep attacking during that time, as were the other things
> which nibbled away at him.

No, it's already doing it's attack - stealing the armor.

> If he had been wearing a cloak, the nymph would have had
> to take it before getting access to the suit. And since cloaks
> come off immediately, she would have teleported away because
> the hero could move normally (unless he was already stuck in
> place for some other reason, which wasn't the case here). So a
> cloak would have prevented this death, or at least deferred it
> until the nymph and hero met up again.

Yes, but my point remains: The Nymph stole 5 items without disappearing
from the battle *once*. It simply doesn't happen that way - on a normal
level.

rpresser

Nov 9, 2009, 9:46:01 AM11/9/09
On Nov 8, 7:55 pm, APLer <AP...@floor.tilde> wrote:

> Yes, but my point remains: The Nymph stole 5 items without disappearing
> from the battle *once*. It simply doesn't happen that way - on a normal
> level.

You're so wrong it's not even funny. I am certain that if I wanted to
spend the time I could find dozens of ttyrec's where situations
exactly like this happened.

TJR

Nov 9, 2009, 11:09:09 AM11/9/09
> > Yes, but my point remains: The Nymph stole 5 items without disappearing
> > from the battle *once*. It simply doesn't happen that way - on a normal
> > level.

Most likely, the hero was paralyzed, e. g. from a floating eye or the
potion. Nymphs do not teleport away while their victim is helpless.

7aboir

Nov 9, 2009, 11:33:02 AM11/9/09
TJR <tilmi...@googlemail.com> �crivait

And what about very low speed due to strained or overtaxed? I think (but I
may be wrong) that it can produce such kind of thing?

TJR

Nov 9, 2009, 2:39:18 PM11/9/09
On 9 Nov., 17:33, 7aboir <7ab...@lebarducoin.fr> wrote:
> TJR <tilmina...@googlemail.com> écrivaitnews:45abcbe9-de4d-4d15...@h34g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

True. I guess trapped (in a pit) also qualifies for "I'm helpless,
please rob me", too.

BTW, the Wizard's tower is non-teleport, on that level it is possible
for the nymph to try and fail to teleport away several times. But
usually, it will wander about a bit between each attempt at theft.

APLer

Nov 9, 2009, 5:40:14 PM11/9/09
rpresser <rpre...@gmail.com> wrote in

Ah, the incoherent whine of the troll who doesn't know what he's talking
about. It's been a while.

Pat Rankin

Nov 9, 2009, 7:45:30 PM11/9/09
On Nov 8, 4:55 pm, APLer <AP...@floor.tilde> wrote:

> Pat Rankin <ran...@pactechdata.com> wrote innews:9d0eabff-de65-4789...@i12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:
>>> How did the nymph re-appear? They teleport away once they've stolen
>>> something.
>>
>>      Only if the hero is able to move.
>
> No, as *soon* as it's stolen.

My answer was correct, and it is trivial to prove that using
the source code. But I'm not going to bother, since you still
wouldn't comprehend. As has happened way too many times in the
past, you posted misinformation, had it corrected, then persist
in claiming that your wrong answer was right. What's the point?

> If the player was paralyzed or asleep, the
> wererat (and company) would have killed him before he recovered.

That isn't relevant, and also isn't accurate, as many players
can attest from actual play. Negative AC makes it possible to
withstand a lot of low damage attacks and sometimes survive until
paralysis or sleep wears off. But the hero was neither paralyzed
nor asleep in this case, he was locked in a multi-turn operation
which won't be interrupted by getting attacked. And nymphs take
note of that and adjust their behavior to take advantage of it.

A single nymph can easily steal multiple items when the first
thing targeted is the suit being worn. Wearing a cloak prevents
that from happening. But I've already said all this....

APLer

Nov 10, 2009, 11:28:23 AM11/10/09
TJR <tilmi...@googlemail.com> wrote in

We don't know. Obviously *something* interferred with the player doing
more than one attack. What that was is up to the OP to tell us.

APLer

Nov 10, 2009, 11:28:39 AM11/10/09

> On Nov 8, 4:55�pm, APLer <AP...@floor.tilde> wrote:
>> Pat Rankin <ran...@pactechdata.com> wrote

>> innews:9d0eabff-de65-4789-b0da-
> 110fa1...@i12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

>>> � � �Only if the hero is able to move.
>>
>> No, as *soon* as it's stolen.
>
> My answer was correct, and it is trivial to prove that using
> the source code. But I'm not going to bother, since you still
> wouldn't comprehend. As has happened way too many times in the
> past, you posted misinformation, had it corrected, then persist
> in claiming that your wrong answer was right. What's the point?

An easy claim to make and I'm sure your backing that up with a valid
example by message ID will appear in invisible pixels.

>> If the player was paralyzed or asleep, the
>> wererat (and company) would have killed him before he recovered.
>
> That isn't relevant, and also isn't accurate, as many players
> can attest from actual play.

We have no idea whether it's relevant or not as the OP was way too vague
on the conditions that led to this strange atypical behavior. Nor has the
OP made any other posts at all in the past year.

> Negative AC makes it possible to
> withstand a lot of low damage attacks and sometimes survive until
> paralysis or sleep wears off. But the hero was neither paralyzed
> nor asleep in this case, he was locked in a multi-turn operation
> which won't be interrupted by getting attacked.

Again we have *no* idea whether it actually happened that way or what the
circumstances were that were in this case. Any generalization is based on
assumptions in this case except - *if* the post actually happened as
posted - that the player was unable to move. Anything beyond that is pure
conjecture.

APLer

Nov 10, 2009, 11:28:42 AM11/10/09
Janis Papanagnou <janis_pa...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> G-Mon wrote:
>> On 08 Nov 2009, M�t� <matthe...@gmail.com> wrote in
>>>

> And avoid to wake up the nymphs in the first place; leave them alone.
> Do no door/chest/item kicking; that will wake up sleeping monsters on
> the same level, even if they are far away. That was probably the result
> of a home-made situation. In case you are importuned by a gang without
> own support, flee into some corridor where you can take them one by one,
> or flee the level to prepare some more in case the creatures' toughness
> will likely exceed your own.

I think the *only* thing we can be certain of is that the OP didn't
sufficiently describe the circumstances - if it's a description of an
actual occurence.

Kent Paul Dolan

Nov 10, 2009, 11:32:19 AM11/10/09
APLer wrote:

> rpresser <rpre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> APLer <AP...@floor.tilde> wrote:

>>> Yes, but my point remains: The Nymph stole 5
>>> items without disappearing from the battle
>>> *once*. It simply doesn't happen that way - on a
>>> normal level.

>> You're so wrong it's not even funny. I am
>> certain that if I wanted to spend the time I
>> could find dozens of ttyrec's where situations
>> exactly like this happened.

> Ah, the incoherent whine of the troll who doesn't
> know what he's talking about.

No, Chuckie Cheesehead, as everyone paying attention
here knows, "the troll who doesn't know what he's
talking about" would be you, both wildly misinformed
and also adamant in your ignorance.

I doubt that a review of your posting record, even
under your most recent nymshift done to avoid
killfiles, would find you having your facts right in
even 10% of your initial postings or initial

> It's been a while.

It has not been nearly long enough since the last
instance of you spewing misinformation, and then
insisting unswervingly on your mistaken version of
reality despite all attempts by several others to
introduce you to the facts in a case, Chuckie
Cheesehead.

Of course, out of cowardice, you killfile all your
numerous critics, so only others get introduced by
this note to what a jerk you are, while you have no
chance to defend yourself.

Life is good.

xanthian.

Pat Rankin

Nov 10, 2009, 9:47:30 PM11/10/09
On Nov 10, 8:28 am, APLer <AP...@floor.tilde> wrote:

> Pat Rankin <ran...@pactechdata.com> wrote innews:670375bd-f687-4914...@x25g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
>> On Nov 8, 4:55 pm, APLer <AP...@floor.tilde> wrote:
[...]

>>> If the player was paralyzed or asleep, the
>>> wererat (and company) would have killed him before he recovered.
>>
>>      That isn't relevant, and also isn't accurate, as many players
>> can attest from actual play.
>
> We have no idea whether it's relevant or not as the OP was way too vague
> on the conditions that led to this strange atypical behavior. Nor has the
> OP made any other posts at all in the past year.

You obviously have no idea, but the rest of us could
read the long sequence of messages posted and see that no
paralysis or sleep was involved. Even you apparently
noticed them, since you counted the number of items which
the nymph stole.

The sequence started with the hero attacking a
wererat, so he was able to move freely. That was shortly
followed by "The beautiful mountain nymph seduces you and
you [start] taking off your armor." Aside from the typo
where a word was omitted, there was nothing vague about it.
Five turns later, the hero finished removing +1 ring mail.

Any suit other than leather jacket takes multiple
turns, resulting in the hero being unable to do anything
else until done taking off the armor. That explains the
nymph's behavior, which may be atypical but is completely
expected in this situation so not strange.

There's no conjecture involved; the evidence was all
in plain sight.

7aboir

Nov 25, 2009, 5:42:38 PM11/25/09
7aboir <7ab...@lebarducoin.fr> wrote in

Sorry to "up" this. But as I did not get any answers...
Is this a bug? Pit traps should not be generated next to water or at least
be filled in? When you dig yourself a pit next to water that's what's
happening. Or am I wong?

cheers!

Janis Papanagnou

Nov 25, 2009, 6:59:54 PM11/25/09

With the elsethread mentioned drum of earthquake you could as well create
pits adjacent to water, AFAIR my former posting a couple years ago.

Janis

7aboir

Nov 26, 2009, 8:53:46 AM11/26/09
Janis Papanagnou <janis_pa...@hotmail.com> �crivait

> 7aboir wrote:
>> 7aboir <7ab...@lebarducoin.fr> wrote in

> With the elsethread mentioned drum of earthquake you could as well

> create pits adjacent to water, AFAIR my former posting a couple years
> ago.
>
> Janis

Agreed (and wiz-tested). But yet the question remains: is this a bug?

Janis Papanagnou

Nov 26, 2009, 2:33:49 PM11/26/09
7aboir wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou <janis_pa...@hotmail.com> ï¿œcrivait

>> With the elsethread mentioned drum of earthquake you could as well
>> create pits adjacent to water, AFAIR my former posting a couple years
>> ago.
>
> Agreed (and wiz-tested). But yet the question remains: is this a bug?

It's an inconsistency.

Janis