SATAPs 35.3.5 to 35.3.8 - Racial Ascensions

hh...@thinksystem.net

Jul 12, 2006, 1:00:23 PM7/12/06
Well, what could be stupider than trying to perform a Stupid Ascension
Trick? Trying to do a full set of them. The idea of ascending using
only
the weapons and armor specific to a race was mentioned by Robin
Johnson in December 2004. I finally got around to including all of the
non-human possibilities in version 0.6 of the list of Stupid Ascension
Tricks. (http://thinksystem.net/nethack)

I started thinking about trying one of these. Dwarf sounded the
easiest.
Then it occurred to me: if I was going to do one of them, why not do
them all? ('Cause it is hard. And stupid.) It took a number of months
and quite a few games, but, I did it. The four ascension posts will
follow in additional postings.

This was a learning experience. I learned to have much more respect for
mumakil and zruties than I used to. They hit hard for the levels at
which they appear. Even when I managed to have a bit of armor class
when I first encountered them, they would kill me or come close. I
learned to be pretty good at the protection racket (trying a naked
Gnome gave plenty of pratice. I learned to be patient and wait for
my pets if I was still low level. I learned to use Elbereth. A lot.

I'm not sure this was fun, but it was interesting.

--
-Harold Hill

hh...@thinksystem.net

Jul 12, 2006, 1:07:47 PM7/12/06
35.3.5 Dwarfish racial ascension - dwarf selected as the race, did
not weild a non-dwarfish weapon (only dwarfish mattock, dwarvish
short sword, or dwarvish spear allowed), did not wear non-dwarfish
armor (only dwarvish mithril, dwarvish cloak, dwarvish iron helm,
dwarvish roundshield, and iron shoes allowed). (Yes, iron shoes do
not say "Dwarvish", but who else do you see generated wearing them?)
Patience: Slight Luck: Slight Planning: Trivial

Dwarfie Notes

Dwarves: Well, you can find a fair amount of dwarvish armor
(mithril, cloak, shield, helm) and there are dwarvish weapons
(short sword, spear, mattock). Archeologist could be a natural
choice, but I am trying to simultaneously do all of the racial
ascensions, and I already picked Arch. for the Gnome. So, a
good second choice for a dwarf? Caveman. Why? If I am going
to take advantage of all the dwarvish armor available, spell
failure rate is going to be very close to 100%. So, I might
as well go as a combat-wombat. Also, the Quest artifact
supplies the always-nice magic resistance and it only has
to be carried to do it (no weilding or wearing required).

Attempt #1: killed by a xorn
Attempt #2: killed by a kobold
Attempt #3: killed by a giant bat
Attempt #4: killed by a homunculus

Attempt #5:
T5 I've removed the starting leather armor and weilded nothing.
T1676 I made it to Minetown, although it was via a level
teleport trap that left my dog two levels up. I had enough
money for one donation (still Elvl 1) and got four points.
That, combined with a +2 ring of protection I found gives
an AC of 4. Not too bad considering I'm still naked.
T1888 Found some dwarvish mithril on my way back to my dog.
I immediately put it on. Cursed and -1, but oh well. It still
gives me 5 points of AC and three star magic cancellation.
T6506 Wow. A 6 by 8 hardware store on Dlvl 9, one below the
Oracle. No magic whistle though. Bummer.
T10279 I've completed Sokoban (for the bag, not the amulet
that I was hoping for). I'm at AC -4 and have been fighting
everything bare-handed as no dwarish weapons have turned up
yet. (So, yes, I did beat feet when I saw a chicktrice
appear on the top level of Sokoban).
T17258 Finally got a magic whistle to keep my (now) large
dog and Elf Lord close. Still no dwarvish weapons. I am
Expert in Bare Handed now.
T19413 Finally found a dwarvish short sword exploring the
lower levels of the Mines with my White Dragon and mumak.
T19612 Sigh. A poly trap in the Mines changed me to a
wumpus and broke the mithril. I haven't found a backup
suit of it yet either.
T22477 Well, I found another dwarf that had basically one
of everything dwarfish (other than a spear). I used the
short sword for a while and noticed I was not getting a
chance to improve. Checking up on Caveman shows that of
the three dwarvish weapons, the short sword will be stuck
at unskilled, mattock could get to basic, spear could get
to basic. Hmm... time to switch to the mattock.
T29669 Continued play, main stash on Dlvl 18, naked AC 0,
mattock is now +7, some enchantment on armor.
T31772 Dlvl 22 was Medusa. Still no amulet of reflection,
but I am taunted with the Perseus statue holding a sheild
of reflection.
T32442 Dlvl 25 is the Castle (I descend to it with a
blessed scroll of genocide in my hand and a lightning
wand ready to engrave.)
T34626 I've cleared the front of the Castle and got the
wand. I think I'll try the simple, sure route:
T34627 Wish #1 from the castle wand: 3 b?SoC (got 1).
T34628 Wish #2 from the castle wand: blessed amulet of
reflection.
T37886 Cleared the Fort (partially for the gold, partially
for the experience to get to level 14). Processed the
gold through the last priest in the normal dungeon
(Dlvl 24) and got another point of AC. Now AC -2 naked,
-19 with armor. (Yeah, I'll eventually get/wish for
a magic marker and get it lower.)
T44716 Did the fort and just finished the Quest. Currently
I have a Water Troll pet. It is basically time to review
and prepare for the lower depths.
T46123 And I lose the Troll to a Trapper.
T46264 Attempting more wishes shows the wand must have
been at 0:2. So, lets charge it.
T46267 Wish #3 from the castle wand: magic marker.
T46293 Wish #4 from the castle wand: magic marker.
T46326 I'm going to save myself some hassle. So, I write
some genocide scrolls and...
T46334 Goodbye L
T46335 Goodbye ;
T46336 Goodbye t
T46337 Goodbye w
T46338 Goodbye R
T46340 Wish #5 from the castle wand: blessed figurine of
an Archon.
T47279 I get around to applying the figurine and the Archon
(now named Sunny Boy) who came with Sunsword.
T58013 I've explored down to the vibrating square and am
doing final preparations for an ascension run. I used alchemy
to make 5 potions of gain level and let the pet Archon quaff
them. It is now level 33. That will be enough to tackle the
Wizard the first 5 times he shows (if I understand the game
correctly).
I have a wrestable wish left. What to use it for? Another
Archon? I think I'll just try for two more gain levels for
my current one.
T58401 Wish #7 from the castle wand 2b?oGL.
T61813 OK, I think this character is ready for the ascension
run. He could use two more points of strength, but otherwise
is pretty well-prepared. I think I'll break here and try
to get one of the other racial characters moving along.

An invisible choir sings, and you are bathed in radiance...--More--

5 +-------+
¦·······¦
¦···@A··¦ +----
¦···@W··¦
¦···
¦·······¦ -----
++)·+-------+
¦ ¦···A···¦ ¦ +
++%··¦·······¦
¦· +---)---+ ·¦
+-+·%)·¦·······¦
5 ¦·····4a······¦ ) )
%¦)[·)·%···_···¦
+-+···5$52··+-+ %
/+-+·[··¦·······¦
+----%----+ + ?%
++`··¦·······¦
%%4 ---)---
++··+-------+
%%%% +-----+$% ¦ ¦···
41 ¦ $$% ¦ +----
A% ++ !+-----+
% + % ¦
+- -)---+ +-+
% % ¦
-------------+
Dwarfie the Wayfarer St:18/** Dx:17 Co:18 In:15 Wi:16 Ch:9 Lawful
Astral Plane $:0 HP:146(265) Pw:38(38) AC:-31 Exp:17 T:68242

Amulets
H - a blessed amulet of reflection (being worn)
Weapons
a - a blessed rustproof +7 dwarvish mattock (weapon in hands)
v - the blessed +0 Sceptre of Might
Armor
G - a blessed +5 dwarvish mithril-coat (being worn)
N - a blessed +5 dwarvish iron helm (being worn)
Q - a blessed +5 pair of iron shoes (being worn)
S - an uncursed thoroughly burnt rotted +4 dwarvish cloak (being worn)
Comestibles
U - 2 uncursed K-rations
V - an uncursed lizard corpse
Spellbooks
y - the uncursed Book of the Dead
Potions
r - a blessed potion of full healing
x - an uncursed potion of extra healing
K - a blessed potion of extra healing
Rings
m - an uncursed ring of free action (on right hand)
J - an uncursed ring of regeneration (on left hand)
P - an uncursed ring of conflict
Wands
d - a wand of death (0:7)
k - a wand of teleportation (0:5)
o - a wand of cancellation (0:6)
z - a wand of death (0:1)
C - a wand of secret door detection (0:4)
L - a wand of digging (0:4)
W - a wand of death (0:3)
Tools
b - a blessed bag of holding named Sokoban BoH
e - an uncursed skeleton key
h - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
q - the Bell of Opening (0:2)
s - an uncursed stethoscope
t - an uncursed blindfold
w - an uncursed magic whistle
Gems
R - a blessed luckstone

Vanquished creatures:

Orcus
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (thrice)
Pestilence (6 times)
Famine (twice)
a high priest
a mastodon
Medusa
Croesus
2 Archons
3 iron golems
2 storm giants
a titan
7 glass golems
3 balrogs
The Chromatic Dragon
3 gray dragons
3 silver dragons
6 red dragons
4 white dragons
5 orange dragons
4 black dragons

2748 creatures vanquished.

Genocided species:

lurkers above
trappers
baby long worms
baby purple worms
long worms
purple worms
liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches
rust monsters
disenchanters
jellyfish
piranhas
sharks
giant eels
electric eels
krakens

18 species genocided.

Voluntary challenges:

You genocided 18 types of monsters.
You used 6 wishes.
You did not wish for any artifacts.

Goodbye dwarfie the Demigod...

You and the invisible Sunny Boy
went to your reward with 2267887 points,
Snickersnee (worth 1200 zorkmids and 3000 points)
The Bell of Opening (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Sceptre of Might (worth 2500 zorkmids and 6250 points)
The Book of the Dead (worth 10000 zorkmids and 25000 points)
1 amulet of ESP (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of reflection (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 0 pieces of gold, after 68242 moves.
You were level 17 with a maximum of 265 hit points when you ascended.

The fact that I managed this on the fifth try I think is support
for the opinions that this would be a relatively easy race. Doing
a dwarf as an Archeologist might make it a little easier.

hh...@thinksystem.net

Jul 12, 2006, 1:09:02 PM7/12/06
35.3.6 Elfish racial ascension - elf selected as the race, did
not weild a non-elven weapon (only elven dagger, elven short sword,
elven broadsword, elven spear, or elven bow allowed), did not wear
non-elven armor (only elven mithril, elven cloak, elven leather
helm, elven shield, and elven boots allowed).

Patience: Slight Luck: Slight Planning: Trivial

Elfie Notes

Elves: Elves have most of the armor types available (lacking only
a shirt and gloves). Plus, their armor is rather good. Elves also
have a variety of weapons, also rather good. (Plus two artifact
weapons that are pretty close to useless.) It is true that an elf
can make a fine wizard. But, I am trying to do all of races and do
them in unique classes. I already chose to do an orc wizard. This
puts the elf in a bit of an awkward spot. Why? well, because if an
elf is not going to wear any armor or weild any weapon that does
not have "elven" in the name (or description) and is not a
wizard, they will not be able to get magic resistance.

(OK, to be technical, I suppose that the elf could change
alignment to Neutral or Lawful and wish for one of the artifacts
that grant MR by carrying, but that seems out of the spirit of
this stupid trick.)

So, can I do an ascension without MR? I don't know. I'll be more
than a bit scared of touches of death. I would really like to see
all L's genocided before the Castle. I suppose I could keep some
potions of hallucination on hand for when Rodney shows up. I think
that the plan will be this: Choose Ranger as the class for the elf.
Rangers are good at killing things at a distance which is good
as I won't have any heavy-hitting artifact melee weapons. Wishes
(if/when I get that far) will go getting some heavy-hitting pets
(ie. tricked out Archons. Or possibly Alexes or Trolls) and
genocides to eliminate troublesome monsters (the touch-o-death
dealers that are geocidable - only L's, and ones that can cause
problems for pets - t's, purple worms, green slimes).

Even if I manage to maintain careful play with this game it
sounds dicy.

Attempt #1 (killed by a zruty)
Attempt #2 (killed by an umber hulk)
Attempt #3 (killed by a vampire bat)
Attempt #4 (killed by system shock)
Attempt #5 (killed by a killer bee)
Attempt #6 (killed by a panther)
Attempt #7 (killed by werejackal)
Attempt #8 (poisoned by an orcish arrow)
Attempt #9 (killed by a fire ant)
Attempt #10 (killed by mumak)
Attempt #11 (killed by pony)
Attempt #12 (killed by bolt of cold)
Attempt #13 (killed by an arrow)
Attempt #14 (killed by a dwarf)
Attempt #15 (killed by an air elemental)
Attempt #16 (killed by an ape)
Attempt #17 (killed by a gnome king)
Attempt #18 (killed by a priest of Mercury)
Attempt #19 (killed by a pony)

Attempt #20:

T1 Named the starting dagger Sting, both for the benefit against
o's, which you see a bit of at the start, and to make it a
certainty that a first artifact gift would unlock broadsword
skill.
T2258 I managed to sneak down to the (cross-aligned) temple in
Minetown without killing anything. I only had enough gold for
one donation, but that gave the maximum 4 points of protection.
T4467 Well, some work with my dog yeilds donations that get my
naked AC down to 1. I also picked up a magic lamp and an
unidentified amulet that I'm wearing (so, no change, strangulation,
restful sleep, ESP. Could be magic breathing, reflection, or
life saving - all good).
T7324 Got down to the Oracle level. My dog ate a Chameleon corpse
and turned into a Stone Giant. I'm pretty sure that is a more
potent fighter, so, cool.
T12600 Completed Sokoban for the bag. I wanted the amulet, but
the bag isn't too bad, especially as I was full-up on inventory
letters.
T22153 I finished the Mines and am back at my stash on Dlvl11.
After what I found, and a bones level, I have the embaressment
of four magic lamps. I blessed and rubbed one for the amulet
of reflection.
T23448 A throne on Dlvl 16 gave a genocide, so I got rid of
cockatrice (no gloves is just asking for an accident).
T23451 Good grief! The throne room had _another_ magic lamp.
T25345 Found the non-Titan Medusa level at Dlvl 24. As I had
found a magic whistle I picked up a couple of new pets and
made my way to the bottom of the Mines (where I had found a
poly trap). Eventually I got a Vampire Lord and a baby Grey
Dragon and kept those.
T30154 I'm going after Medusa with my Vampire Lord (level 15)
and Gray Dragon (level 25 - we found a graveyard).
T31060 I made it to the Castle Wow, but I did lose the Gray
Dragon.
T31157 And the Castle throne grants a wish. Hmmm ... I know
that I will use it eventually, so, magic marker.
T33145 I would like the identify spell, so I blessed and read
all of the books I had found. No Identify, but I did have Light
so I used that to pratice Divination.
T33145 First Castle WoW wish: 2 blessed scrolls of charging.
T33146 Second Castle WoW wish: blessed spellbook of Identify
T37663 I used a spare magic lamp to get a blessed genocide and
used it on L's.
T38416 Lets do the quest. But first, I rub a spare magic
lamp and wish for a blessed figurine of an Archon.
T39437 Lacking any real heavy melee weapon, I used a wand of
death on Scorpius.
T39472 Scorpius's throne granted a wish, so I got another
magic marker.
T43449 I'm AC -38, Elvl 15, have my Vampire Lord and Archon,
lets go see the Valley.
T49687 And Vlad's throne gave a wish (magic marker). I really
can't complain about the number of wishes I'm getting in this
game (the castle wand is still at 0:1).
T49687 And then it gives a genocide. I picked Golden Nagas as
I want to avoid as many 'destroy armor' spells as I can.
T52233 Well, I marked the VS, then I hit a level teleport that sent
me to Dlvl 5 (from 49). Grrr.
T52249 I had one cursed teleport scroll so I used that to get
to my stash on Dlvl 23. I used the third Castle WoW wish
for some unholy water.
T56524 I got back to my Archon. I also used another wand wish
for a second Archon.
T59018 Back at my stash making preparations. I thought it might
not be necessary, but I lost my second Archon to a trapper so, I
made some scrolls and ... goodbye t's.
T59020 Goodbye w's.
T59021 Goodbye ;'s.
T61804 I was not careful enough and let myself get separated from
Archon #1 and it went wild. Sigh. OK, I have three wishes
available from the Castle wand and I have one spare magic
lamp left. I have two potions of gain level. I will plan to
wish up two more Archons and hopefully about four potions of
gain level. (I would like to have at least one Archon at level
32 or 33.)
T65005 I'm Exp 21, AC -41, HP 293, with two Archons (one level
31, the other 32) and I'm starting the ascension run.
T66885 Wore an amulet of life saving while I opened up the
Wizard's room and zapped him with a wand of death. I got
the book, lets head to the vibrating square.
T67137 Made it to the vibrating square, ready to perform the
invocation.

Well, I'll pause Elfie here. I just need my Gnome to get ready
now.
T69953 The wizard showed up and double troubled. One touch of
death was foiled by the amulet of life saving before they were
beat down.
T70102 I quaffed a hallucination before climbing to Earth, and
good thing. I had an out of body experience, but a wand of
death zap and a couple of rounds of waiting left only two
creatures and they weren't attacking me. On to the portal.

The voice of Mars booms out: "Congratulations, mortal!"--More--

+-------+
@¦·······¦
¦······@¦ @
¦···@@··¦
¦@······¦
¦ ¦·······¦A ¦
+ ¦· +---A---+ ·¦
¦ ¦··S··@·DA····¦
+-+@···A··@·+-+
+----¦----+
+-¦-+ aa
¦ +-----+ % A
¦ ¦
+-----+ ++
¦ ++
+-+ +---%---
¦ %
+-----------
Elfie the Archer St:18 Dx:18 Co:15 In:20 Wi:20 Ch:12
Chaotic
Astral Plane $:277 HP:182(306) Pw:174(174) AC:-34 Exp:24 T:71928

Amulets
K - an uncursed amulet of reflection (being worn)
Weapons
a - the +7 Sting (weapon in hand)
k - a +3 elven bow (alternate weapon; not wielded)
p - 14 +4 arrows (in quiver)
R - the blessed +0 Longbow of Diana
Armor
d - an uncursed fireproof +6 elven leather helm (being worn)
v - an uncursed +7 elven mithril-coat (being worn)
G - an uncursed fireproof +6 elven shield (being worn)
X - an uncursed fireproof +7 pair of elven boots (being worn)
Comestibles
o - an uncursed lizard corpse
M - an uncursed K-ration
Potions
g - 2 potions of holy water
j - 2 uncursed potions of full healing
u - an uncursed potion of extra healing
Z - an uncursed potion of full healing
Rings
l - an uncursed ring of levitation (on right hand)
y - an uncursed ring of regeneration (on left hand)
z - an uncursed ring of slow digestion
N - an uncursed +1 ring of increase damage
Wands
D - a wand of death (0:0)
P - a cursed wand of death (0:1)
V - a wand of lightning (0:0)
W - a wand of teleportation (0:3)

Tools
b - a blessed bag of holding named Sokoban BoH
e - an uncursed skeleton key

h - a +0 unicorn horn
s - a cursed stethoscope
w - a cursed magic whistle
x - an uncursed towel
I - a cursed leash
J - a cursed oil lamp (lit)
Gems
i - a cursed luckstone

Vanquished creatures:

Orcus
Yeenoghu
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (7 times)
Pestilence (twice)
a high priest
Medusa
8 krakens
2 Archons
8 iron golems
a ki-rin
4 storm giants
a titan
3 glass golems
6 balrogs
6 purple worms
2 gray dragons

3 silver dragons
6 red dragons

7 white dragons
6 orange dragons
4 black dragons

10 jackals
4 foxes
8 kobolds
9 goblins
3 sewer rats
16 grid bugs
4 bats
10 lichens
20 kobold zombies
17 newts

3038 creatures vanquished.

Genocided species:

cockatrices

lurkers above
trappers
baby long worms
baby purple worms
long worms
purple worms
liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches

golden nagas

jellyfish
piranhas
sharks
giant eels
electric eels
krakens

18 species genocided.

Voluntary challenges:

You genocided 18 types of monsters.

You used 14 wishes.

You did not wish for any artifacts.

Goodbye elfie the Demigod...

You went to your reward with 1555934 points,
Sting (worth 800 zorkmids and 2000 points)
The Longbow of Diana (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)

1 amulet of reflection (worth 150 zorkmids),

1 amulet of magical breathing (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 277 pieces of gold, after 71928 moves.
You were level 24 with a maximum of 306 hit points when you ascended.

The elf seemed harder to me than I expected. Note though, that none
of the games that I lost were due to not having magic resistance.
Most of them were to relatively low-level monsters, and generally
because I was not being careful enough. I have a bad habit of
losing the prudence that I start the games with when I get to about
experience level 9 or 10. By that time I can easily kill the
weak monsters and don't pay enough attention to my hit points and
get done in by a medium or even weak monster because I stood my
ground and attacked when I should have retreated. So, I don't
think that the elf should really have required 20 tries. If I
had been careful, I think I could have gotten lucky enough in
half that number.

hh...@thinksystem.net

Jul 12, 2006, 1:10:56 PM7/12/06
35.3.7 Gnomish racial ascension - gnome selected as the race, did
not weild a non-gnomish weapon (only aklys allowed (Yes, I know,
it does not say "Gnomish", but who appears with them other than
gnomes, and I've got to throw them a bone here, they are going to
be naked for RNG's sake!)), did not wear non-gnomish armor (yes,
there is no gnome armor).

Patience: Slight Luck: Slight Planning: Trivial

Gnomie Notes

Gnomes: They get no armor, and about the best you can do for
a weapon would be to argue for the alkys. To me, that makes
it sound like combat-wombat is right out. So, what class to
pick? I'm taking Archeologist. Why? The Quest artifact supplies
Magic Resistance, and it does not require weilding or wearing
to do that. Second, Archs can be fair spell-casters. Given that
I won't have any of that pesky armor reducing spell success
rates, I might as well concentrate on the casting.

I fully intend on running the protection racket and leaning
quite a bit on pets in this game. Wishing for the Eye to allow
more spell casting will be a temptation. Lets see if I get
far enough to actually have a chance at it.

Attempt #1 (killed by a gas spore)
Attempt #2 (killed by a rabid rat)
Attempt #3 (killed by a soldier ant)
Attempt #4 (killed by a leocrotta)
Attempt #5 (killed by a boulder trap triggered by my pet)
Attempt #6 (killed by a blast of frost)
Attempt #7 (killed by a giant bat)
Attempt #8 (killed by a giant bat)
Attempt #9 (killed by a giant bat)
Attempt #10 (killed by an elven spear)
Attempt #11 (killed by a giant spider)
Attempt #12 (killed by a rabid rat)
Attempt #13 (killed by a sewer rat)
Attempt #14 (killed by a giant beetle)
Attempt #15 (killed by a hobgoblin)
Attempt #16 (killed by a Woodlan-elf)
Attempt #17 (killed by a soldier ant)
Attempt #18 (killed by a mumak)
Attempt #19 (killed by a Grey-elf)

Attempt #20:
T4 I have removed the starting jacket and fedora. I wish that
there was some armor which was clearly Gnomish, but I guess
this will be a naked ascension if I can make it happen.
T10700 (I stopped taking early notes because I was losing so
many Gnomies) I did the protection racket, completed Sokoban
for the bag, have found a magic lamp, marker, and luckstone.
T13231 I tried exploring the Mines for a poly trap to process
some of the half-dozen pets I had into something stronger. I
didn't find any and I lost all the pets. Time for a new
tactic: I had a clear potion, a converted altar and a
magic lamp. I use all of those to get a pet Archon who came
with Demonbane.
T18158 A throne on Dlvl 15 granted a wish so I went for an
amulet of reflection.
T18543 Dlvl 16 also had a throne that granted a wish. I have
lost enough Gnomes that I'm not going to hold back: The Eye
of the Aethiopica!
T26033 I cleaned out the Fort and processed all of the gold
through the Minetown priest and one other I found on Dlvl 10.
I am now AC-3 naked. I managed to get a spellbook of
create monster and so I'm trying to work my protection up
at an altar on Dlvl 11. I have been crowned (so the Vorpal
Blade is ducked out of the way) and just got Magicbane
while offering to reduce prayer timeout. Oh well. I do
like MB for the single turn engrave.

Well, I prayed when I shouldn't have and blew the -2 naked
AC that I had built up through donations. Bummer. Exploring
down looking for more priests I found Medusa at Dlvl 23,
there was a hole near the up stairs so I decided to peek
at the level below. It dropped me two levels to the Castle.
So, my Archon and I cleared it. Fun to do with me at experience
level 11 and AC 10 (or 8 if I put on both rings of
protection that I have found).
T29835 I've got the Castle wand.
T33559 I trucked my 90k gold down to the Valley priest and
got naked AC 0 again. Back at my stash and I got my
first successful protection prayer. I think I would like
an AC of around -20, but I'll see how it goes.
T35457 My work has produced a scroll of genocide, so
goodbye c's.
T37802 I got to Elvl 14 and so did the quest, mainly to
see what supplies I could get. I had not recalled what a
banquet of food the A quest offers. My Archon with
Demonbane made short work of the Minion.
T39276 One more divine protection for AC -2.
T46102 Finally, another point of protection for AC -3.
I may give up on -20, but would still like -5 or so.
T47062 I'm bored. Let's see if impatience will be the
death of another Gnomie...
T47077 Castle WoW wish #1: 2 blessed scrolls of charging.
T47081 I wrote some scrolls of genocide: Goodbye L's.
T47082 Goodbye t's.
T47084 Goodbye w's.
T47322 Entering Gehennom...
T47331 And I meet a Green Slime first thing so,
Goodbye P's.
T50611 I explored down to the vibrating square and came
back to my Dlvl 11 stash to prepare for an ascension run.
Thus far only having AC-3 and no magic cancellation has
not been as difficult as I thought it would be. My 211 HP
and dual +6 aklyses even make me (almost) an even match
in melee with minotaurs.
T52165 (Poly-party, alchemy, sorting) I used my second
Castle wand wish for (of all things) candles. I only
found four in the dungeon.
T52720 I started the ascension run and found Grayswandir
on the floor in the Wizard's Tower. My Archon is now
weilding it. Whee!

You offer the Amulet of Yendor to Camaxtli...--More--

+-------+
¦)······¦
----+ ¦·%··$··¦
+----
@ A ···¦ ¦···_···¦
¦···
+-------+··++ - ¦···)·$·¦ ---+
++··+-------+
¦·A···A·¦N··++ ++ ¦ ¦·······¦ ¦
) [++ ++··)¦·······¦
¦····AD·¦@···+-+ $ ¦· +---·---+ ·¦
+-+··)·¦$······¦
H¦·$A@·S·¦·@··%¦ ) ) ¦······%······¦
[$ ) ¦)····¦··)%%··¦
¦···ATE·¦··%·+-+ ) [ +-+····)····+-+
)+-+··)·¦···$·)·¦
¦·%·V···¦···++ ++ [ * + +----¦----+ )!% [ ++
++·%)¦%··%·[·¦
+-------+··++ +---¦--- %$ % %+ ---+---+
++··+-------+
& ···¦ ¦ [ +----- [ $ ++-----+ ¦
¦·$·
----+ ¦ $ ¦ % %% ¦ ¦ +----
+-----+ ++ ) % ++ +-----+
¦ ++ ++ ¦
+-+$ +---*---+ +-+
¦ / $ ¦
+---------------+
Gnomie the Speleologist St:18/50 Dx:18 Co:18 In:19 Wi:18 Ch:13
Neutral
Astral Plane $:70 HP:442(574) Pw:127(154) AC:-3 Exp:23 T:58191
Amulets
N - a blessed greased amulet of reflection (being worn)
R - the blessed Eye of the Aethiopica
W - an uncursed amulet of life saving
Weapons
p - a blessed rustproof +6 aklys (wielded in other hand)
A - a blessed rustproof +6 aklys (weapon in hand)
E - the blessed rustproof +0 Magicbane
Scrolls
y - a blessed scroll of taming
Potions
m - an uncursed potion of healing

Rings
l - an uncursed ring of levitation

r - an uncursed ring of regeneration (on left hand)
F - a blessed +3 ring of protection
M - an uncursed ring of conflict
O - a blessed ring of free action (on right hand)
V - an uncursed ring of slow digestion
Y - an uncursed +1 ring of protection
Wands
a - a wand of lightning (0:8)
d - a wand of teleportation (0:4)
f - a wand of teleportation (0:6)

Final Attributes:

You were the Envoy of Balance.
You were piously aligned.
You were fire resistant.
You were cold resistant.
You were sleep resistant.
You were disintegration-resistant.
You were shock resistant.
You were poison resistant.
You were magic-protected.
You saw invisible.
You were telepathic.
You had automatic searching.
You had infravision.
You were invisible to others.
You were stealthy.
You aggravated monsters.
You could teleport.
You had teleport control.
You regenerated.
You were protected.
You were very fast.
You had reflection.
You had free action.
You were wielding two weapons at once.
You were extremely lucky.
You had extra luck.
Good luck did not time out for you.
You survived.

Vanquished creatures:

Baalzebub
Orcus
Yeenoghu
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (12 times)
Pestilence (twice)
Famine
4 high priests
a mastodon
Medusa
Croesus
10 krakens
2 iron golems
a master lich
5 storm giants
2 glass golems
a balrog
The Minion of Huhetotl
2 gray dragons
2 silver dragons
7 red dragons
2 white dragons

4705 creatures vanquished.

Genocided species:

chickatrices
cockatrices
pyrolisks

lurkers above
trappers
baby long worms
baby purple worms
long worms
purple worms
liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches

gray oozes
brown puddings
black puddings
green slimes

17 species genocided.

Voluntary challenges:

You genocided 17 types of monsters.
You used 7 wishes.

Goodbye gnomie the Demigoddess...

You and the invisible Alder and the guardian Angel of Camaxtli and the
invisible Archon
went to your reward with 2224792 points,
Magicbane (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
The Orb of Detection (worth 2500 zorkmids and 6250 points)
The Eye of the Aethiopica (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
1 amulet of life saving (worth 150 zorkmids),

1 amulet of reflection (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of magical breathing (worth 150 zorkmids),

and 70 pieces of gold, after 58191 moves.
You were level 23 with a maximum of 574 hit points when you ascended.

I expected the gnome to be the hardest (what with the nakedness and
all). And yes, I lost many characters who never got below dungeon level
8 or so. (But a surprising number made it to the Minetown temple and
got
armor class dropped to 2 or 3 before doing something stupid or getting
separated from their pet.)

So, in answer to Robin Johnson's challenge of 21 Dec 2004 for ascending
a naked gnome with an aklys, here is one with not one, but _two_ +6
aklyses! And interestingly (to me) this gnome got to be a pretty good
fighter with just those. A few of the times that I got rid of Rodney
it was done by just closing in and bashing away.

--
-Harold Hill

hh...@thinksystem.net

Jul 12, 2006, 1:12:05 PM7/12/06
35.3.8 Orcish racial ascension - orc selected as the race, did
not weild a non-orcish weapon (only orcish dagger, orcish short
sword, orish spear, or orcish bow allowed), did not wear
non-orcish armor (only orcish ring mail, orcish chain mail, orcish
cloak, orcish helm, orcish shield or Uruk-hai shield allowed).

Patience: Slight Luck: Slight Planning: Trivial

Orcie Notes

Orcs: Yes, there is some orcish armor (chainmail, cloak, helm,
shield). There is a good variety orcish weapons and even an
orcish artifact. However, that doesn't really make me want to
try an orc as a combat-wombat. First, while there is all of that
orcish stuff, none of it is particularly good. Second, orcs are
chaotic. Peruse the list of chaotic artifacts and you might notice
a certain gap. There is no chaotic artifact that offers magic
resistance. MR is a rather nice atribute to have. Given that
I want to avoid any non-orcish armor (thus no cloak of magic
resistance or gray dragon scale(s)(mail)) the only way to get
MR is from an artifact. Well, what artifact that grants MR is
accessible? The Eye of the Aethiopica. Orcs can be wizards, so
that seems to be the way to go.

Note that the armor class for this character will still be pretty
bad. Sure, I'll have an orcish cloak loaded up, and possibly a
shield (I'll have to see how much that increases the spell
failure rate), but we are still looking at an armor class of
what? -13 or so? Rather different than a unrestricted character
that can hit something in the negative forties.

Attempt #1 (killed by a hobbit (yes, a hobbit, what a way
to start))
Attempt #2 (killed by an invisible Woodland-elf)

Attempt #3 (killed by a soldier ant)

Attempt #4: (killed by an elf zombie)
Attempt #5: (killed by a zruty)
Attempt #6: (killed by a grey unicorn)
Attempt #7: (killed by a jaguar)
Attempt #8: (killed by a fire ant)
Attempt #9: (killed by stupidity: touching a cocktrice corpse)
Attempt #10: (killed by a killer bee)
Attempt #11: (killed by a hobbit)

Attempt #12:
T2 Removed the starting Cloak of Magic Resistance and unweilded
the quarterstaff. The the only nice things in the starting
equipment seem to be a wand of speed and scroll of identify.
T9009 Completed Sokoban for the bag.
T45118 Found Medusa's level and the Quest portal but I don't
want to proceed without better armor and spells. I let my pet
Vampire Lord eliminate a cross-aligned priest on Dlvl 13 and
got a spell book of Create Monster. Lets do some offering...
T64790 I've gotten a number of spellbooks (and crowned) and
now I've _finally_ made it to Elvl 14. Off to the quest!
T66779 Back at my stash with the Eye. (As I was granted
Stealth, I just got in line with the Dark One and kept trying
to cast Finger of Death until I succeeded, and down he went.
Now, I want Grimtooth.
T67444 Grump-grump. I just got Fire Brand. Add that to
Magicbane, Werebane, Trollsbane, and Frost Brand already
received and Grimtooth is getting less likely. But darn it,
I really would like it for the style. An all-orc character
really should be weilding the one orcish artifact in the
game.
T70506 Well yippie. Offering yeilded Dragonbane. And,
apparently the last Aleax I killed was carrying Demonbane.
Out of the 11 artifact weapons I could get as gifts (4 chaotic,
6 unaligned, plus Magicbane), I now have 6. Maybe I should
name Sting and Orcrist and that would leave just three more
that I could get for offering. I would have to get Grimtooth
before too long.
T71444 Well, I did it (named Sting and Orcrist), and _then_
I went and read the spoilers. As an orc, I was never going
to be given those anyway. All I did was make it less likely
to receive artifact weapons with offering. Oh well. Now I
got Stormbringer. Only one more weapon to go that I don't
want.
T73177 So, another 76 offerings by my count, and I finally
have Grimtooth. So, what is stopping me from descending
lower? Well, I did look in on Medusa's level earlier, and
I saw a Black Dragon. I still do not have an amulet of
reflection and so do not really want to tangle with it.
(Yeah, I do have a couple of wands of cancellation and
probably could deal with it using them, but I would rather
not. I could also dig past the level and use a castle wand
wish for the amulet if I have to.)
T74284 And I (accidentally) get Ogresmasher.
T75634 I got ready and restarted my decent. I gave the
Black Dragon a Finger of Death.
T77129 Picked up the Castle wand.
T77137 First wish: Amulet of Reflection (I already had a
magic marker and knew scroll of charging). Yes, I probably
could have done without it at this point, but I like the extra
insurance.
T77138 Second wish: magic marker. Hmm, now it is empty. So
charge it.
T77140 Third wish: blessed figurine of an Archon
T77141 Fourth wish: magic marker
T78850 Back at my Dlvl 13 stash to prepare.
T78853 I have my pet Vampire Lord and Archon that I want to
keep around. So, lets eliminate the insta-deaths that we
can. Genocide w.
T78854 Genocide t.
T78854 Genocide ;.
T78855 I have bare hands (as there are no orcish gloves) and
I don't want to ever feel a stoning corpse while blind, so
genocide c.
T79366 I am at Elvl 19 now, HP 157, Pw 157. Alchemy yeilds
36 full healings. Time to quaff.
T79399 445 hit points is more comfortable to go with my AC
that is only -12.
T79425 Genocide P.
T79426 Genocide R.
T85125 I got the candlabrum, vibrating square marked, back at
my stash to make final preparations. I am Elvl 21, HP 435,
Pw 187 (I would like it if that were higher, but I think I'll
be OK given the Eye). I have a Level 18 Vampire Lord and a
Level 33 Archon.
T85127 I still had 2 blessed scrolls of Genocide, so, goodbye L.
T85128 Goodbye N. Why? Because Golden Nagas can cast destroy
armor, and my armor class is not impressive to start with.
T86735 Standing on the vibrating square and ready to do the
procedure.

I'm going to leave Orcie here and work on the Elf or Gnome.

You offer the Amulet of Yendor to Anhur...--More--

4
+-------+5
¦·······¦
----+ ¦··DA@··¦5
···¦ ¦··@@···¦
+-------+··++ +-- ¦···D···¦
¦·······¦···++ ++ ¦ ¦···%···¦ ¦
¦·······¦····+-+ ¦·5+---¦---+ ·¦
¦···_···¦·%···¦%%%% ¦4···24@5·45··¦
¦····$··¦···%+-+% %% +-+··45·····+-+
¦·······¦···++ ++%/% +----D----+
+-------+··++ +---¦--- 13@ 4
···¦ ¦% +-----+ 114 1
----+ ¦ % ¦ 11 1
+-----+%% ++
¦ ++
+-+ +---)---
¦
+-----------
Orcie the Wizard St:18/50 Dx:18 Co:18 In:16 Wi:16 Ch:10
Chaotic
Astral Plane $:2 HP:434(487) Pw:244(244) AC:-13 Exp:27 T:91352

Amulets
j - the blessed Eye of the Aethiopica
q - an uncursed amulet of reflection (being worn)
Weapons
E - the cursed rustproof +0 Magicbane
L - the blessed rustproof +7 Grimtooth (weapon in hand)
Armor
a - a blessed fireproof +5 orcish cloak (being worn)
i - a blessed rustproof +5 orcish helm (being worn)
Comestibles
u - an uncursed lizard corpse
Scrolls
H - an uncursed scroll of earth
V - 4 uncursed scrolls of gold detection
Potions
J - an uncursed potion of sickness
Rings
d - a cursed ring of teleportation

l - an uncursed ring of levitation

m - an uncursed ring of conflict
B - a cursed ring of sustain ability
D - an uncursed ring of slow digestion
R - an uncursed ring of free action (on right hand)
S - an uncursed ring of sustain ability

Vanquished creatures:

Baalzebub
Orcus
Yeenoghu
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (10 times)
Pestilence (twice)
3 arch-liches
a high priest
2 mastodons
Medusa
Croesus
3 Archons
15 iron golems
3 master liches
4 storm giants
4 titans
4 glass golems
7 balrogs
3 purple worms
4 gray dragons
4 silver dragons
8 red dragons

5 kobolds
6 goblins
9 sewer rats
8 grid bugs
11 bats
10 lichens
16 kobold zombies
12 newts

4661 creatures vanquished.

Genocided species:

chickatrices
cockatrices
pyrolisks
lurkers above
trappers
baby long worms
baby purple worms
long worms
purple worms
liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches

red naga hatchlings
black naga hatchlings
golden naga hatchlings
guardian naga hatchlings
red nagas
black nagas
golden nagas
guardian nagas

gray oozes
brown puddings
black puddings
green slimes

rust monsters
disenchanters

jellyfish
piranhas
sharks
giant eels
electric eels
krakens

33 species genocided.

Voluntary challenges:

You genocided 33 types of monsters.
You used 4 wishes.

You did not wish for any artifacts.

Goodbye orcie the Demigod...

You and the invisible Archibald
went to your reward with 2876832 points,
Frost Brand (worth 3000 zorkmids and 7500 points)
Stormbringer (worth 8000 zorkmids and 20000 points)

The Eye of the Aethiopica (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)

Magicbane (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)

Grimtooth (worth 300 zorkmids and 750 points)
2 amulets of magical breathing (worth 300 zorkmids),
1 amulet of restful sleep (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of change (worth 150 zorkmids),

1 amulet of reflection (worth 150 zorkmids),

and 2 pieces of gold, after 91352 moves.
You were level 27 with a maximum of 487 hit points when you ascended.

12 tries for the orc. It wasn't too bad. As with most wizards, if
you can survive to the mid-game, it gets pretty easy. Once you have
Magicbane (not that I weilded MB, I just used it for magic resistance
and plenty of Elbereth engravings - note that it was assigned to E so
I could do a quick "E E Elbereth' command), the Eye, and a good
selection of spells, there really is not anything that you can't
handle.

--
-Harold Hill

Panu Lahtinen

Jul 12, 2006, 1:43:09 PM7/12/06
hh...@thinksystem.net wrote:
> 35.3.6 Elfish racial ascension - elf selected as the race, did
> not weild a non-elven weapon (only elven dagger, elven short sword,
> elven broadsword, elven spear, or elven bow allowed), did not wear
> non-elven armor (only elven mithril, elven cloak, elven leather
> helm, elven shield, and elven boots allowed).
> Patience: Slight Luck: Slight Planning: Trivial

[snip nice Elfie ascencion]

> Weapons
> a - the +7 Sting (weapon in hand)
> k - a +3 elven bow (alternate weapon; not wielded)
> p - 14 +4 arrows (in quiver)
> R - the blessed +0 Longbow of Diana

Sorry to bring this up, but arrows aren't elven arrows... OK, you don't
wield them to use them, but I think you have to do this one again to
complete your racial ascencion set ;-D

--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",

Panu Lahtinen

Jul 12, 2006, 2:02:19 PM7/12/06
hh...@thinksystem.net wrote:
> 35.3.8 Orcish racial ascension - orc selected as the race, did
> not weild a non-orcish weapon (only orcish dagger, orcish short
> sword, orish spear, or orcish bow allowed), did not wear
> non-orcish armor (only orcish ring mail, orcish chain mail, orcish
> cloak, orcish helm, orcish shield or Uruk-hai shield allowed).
> Patience: Slight Luck: Slight Planning: Trivial
>
> Orcie Notes

[snip]

> T85128 Goodbye N. Why? Because Golden Nagas can cast destroy
> armor, and my armor class is not impressive to start with.

Destroy armor is countered with MR, which you had at this point from the
Eye, ...

> you can survive to the mid-game, it gets pretty easy. Once you have
> Magicbane (not that I weilded MB, I just used it for magic resistance

... but what Magicbane doesn't give, unless wielded.

Congtrats on the racial ascencion set! :-)

T-Bone

Jul 12, 2006, 2:56:22 PM7/12/06
hh...@thinksystem.net wrote:
> Well, what could be stupider than trying to perform a Stupid Ascension
> Trick? Trying to do a full set of them. The idea of ascending using
> only
> the weapons and armor specific to a race was mentioned by Robin
> Johnson in December 2004.

Congratulations! Nicely done, and a good read.

[Elfie]

> Wishes
> (if/when I get that far) will go getting some heavy-hitting pets
> (ie. tricked out Archons. Or possibly Alexes or Trolls)

I see that you didn't, but why would one consider wishing up an aleax
or troll over an archon?

> T70102 I quaffed a hallucination before climbing to Earth, and
> good thing. I had an out of body experience

Wow. I never knew a !oHall would do this. I'm still learning things
about this game...

> p - 14 +4 arrows (in quiver)

I don't know, don't you need to use Elven arrows? Let's check the rule
book on this one... ;)

> Comestibles
> o - an uncursed lizard corpse
> M - an uncursed K-ration

Not lembas? :P

> Note though, that none
> of the games that I lost were due to not having magic resistance.

I don't know what's more impressive, the naked 2-aklys-wielding gnome
or this. I'd never even considered trying to ascend without MR before.

[Gnomie]

> p - a blessed rustproof +6 aklys (wielded in other hand)
> A - a blessed rustproof +6 aklys (weapon in hand)

Nice! I ascended a naked barbarian once, with some nice +7 artifact
and another +7 weapon, and that was hard enough...

[Orcie]

> T9009 Completed Sokoban for the bag.

That seemed just your luck in all 4 games.

> T77140 Third wish: blessed figurine of an Archon

Another pattern in all 4. Do you usually do that, or is it just
because you had lousy armor (at least in 2 of the 4 games)?

> T78853 ...Genocide w.

> T78854 Genocide t.
> T78854 Genocide ;.

> T78855 ...genocide c.

> T79425 Genocide P.
> T79426 Genocide R.

> T85127 ...goodbye L.
> T85128 Goodbye N.

This seems familiar too. I can see why you might say you're not sure
if it was fun... I guess most are potential pet insta-deaths, and the
others (except N) are pretty standard genocides in most games.

> V - 4 uncursed scrolls of gold detection

What, did you forget to use them on the planes?

> Goodbye orcie the Demigod...

Again, congrats!

hh...@thinksystem.net

Jul 12, 2006, 2:57:42 PM7/12/06

Panu Lahtinen wrote:
> hh...@thinksystem.net wrote:
> > 35.3.8 Orcish racial ascension - orc selected as the race, did
> > Orcie Notes
>
> [snip]
>
> > T85128 Goodbye N. Why? Because Golden Nagas can cast destroy
> > armor, and my armor class is not impressive to start with.
>
> Destroy armor is countered with MR, which you had at this point from the
> Eye, ...
>
> > you can survive to the mid-game, it gets pretty easy. Once you have
> > Magicbane (not that I weilded MB, I just used it for magic resistance
>
> ... but what Magicbane doesn't give, unless wielded.

Well, duh, you are correct, I was not getting magic resistance from
Magicbane. With this character, I was just using it for the one-turn
engraving. You are also correct that getting rid of the Nagas at that
point was not much of a help (unless a nymph managed to get the Eye of
A. off of me long enough for a Golden Naga to destroy armor). I can't
think of much else that the genocide could have been profitable used
for at that point ... maybe getting rid of mind flayers.

You are also correct that the Elfie character had some (plain) arrows
quivered. However, I was careful when I worded the Stupid Trick
description and only noted wearing and weilding. A number of these
characters also occasionally had things like rocks quivered (for
killing floating eyes and things behind Sokoban boulders).

--
-Harold Hill

Antoine

Jul 12, 2006, 6:31:41 PM7/12/06

hh...@thinksystem.net wrote:
> 35.3.8 Orcish racial ascension - orc selected as the race, did
> not weild a non-orcish weapon (only orcish dagger, orcish short
> sword, orish spear, or orcish bow allowed), did not wear
> non-orcish armor (only orcish ring mail, orcish chain mail, orcish
> cloak, orcish helm, orcish shield or Uruk-hai shield allowed).
> Patience: Slight Luck: Slight Planning: Trivial

Surely an orcish racial ascension should also be Elberethless???

A.

chuckcar

Jul 12, 2006, 11:26:09 PM7/12/06
hh...@thinksystem.net wrote in

> T33145 I would like the identify spell, so I blessed and read
> all of the books I had found. No Identify, but I did have Light
> so I used that to pratice Divination.

A small question: how come or did you use the shops to level id the
spellbooks? that would of told you if you had a 3rd level spellbook at
all and you could have saved some holy water maybe.

Spoiler below:
rot13

V sbhaq gung vs lbh qebc n fcryyobbx va n fubc, ur'yy bssre lbh 1/2 bs
jung lbh cnl sbe vg. Gurersber vs lbh ner bssrerq fnl 75tc sbe vg, vg'f
n 1fg yriry fcryyobbx (150tc=1fg yriry). --
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Doug Freyburger

Jul 13, 2006, 10:18:41 AM7/13/06
hh...@thinksystem.net wrote:

> 35.3.5 Dwarfish racial ascension - dwarf selected as the race, did
> not weild a non-dwarfish weapon (only dwarfish mattock, dwarvish
> short sword, or dwarvish spear allowed), did not wear non-dwarfish
> armor (only dwarvish mithril, dwarvish cloak, dwarvish iron helm,
> dwarvish roundshield, and iron shoes allowed). (Yes, iron shoes do
> not say "Dwarvish", but who else do you see generated wearing them?)
> Patience: Slight Luck: Slight Planning: Trivial
>
> Dwarfie Notes
>
> Dwarves: Well, you can find a fair amount of dwarvish armor
> (mithril, cloak, shield, helm)

I tend to view leather gloves as species-independent thus wearable.

> and there are dwarvish weapons
> (short sword, spear, mattock).

Depending on what sources you wish to draw from note that Mjolnir
was made by dwarves according the the ancient Norse lore. Not that
other war hammers would be available as options. It suggests going
for a neutral alignment.

Very impressive sequence - Thx for posting it.

Doug Freyburger

Jul 13, 2006, 10:27:19 AM7/13/06
hh...@thinksystem.net wrote:

> 35.3.6 Elfish racial ascension - elf selected as the race, did
> not weild a non-elven weapon (only elven dagger, elven short sword,
> elven broadsword, elven spear, or elven bow allowed), did not wear
> non-elven armor (only elven mithril, elven cloak, elven leather
> helm, elven shield, and elven boots allowed).
> Patience: Slight Luck: Slight Planning: Trivial
>
> Elfie Notes
>
> Elves: Elves have most of the armor types available (lacking only
> a shirt and gloves).

I tend to think of leather gloves as species-independent so
available, and both types of shirts as specific to the human
species.

> Plus, their armor is rather good.

Extra enchantability is a definite plus.

> Elves also
> have a variety of weapons, also rather good. (Plus two artifact
> weapons that are pretty close to useless.)

I consider Stormbringer to be an elven weapon. I'm not sure
why I came to this conclusion as I can't cite source stories
for it the way I can with dwarves making Mjolnir (and Gungnir
which doesn't exist in Nethack). There is the Norse story of
Frey's sword which fights by itself. He offered it as dowery for
his bride Gerd. Stormy's autoactive fits that nicely but Stormy
comes from a very different set of modern source stories.

Feory

Jul 13, 2006, 7:04:32 PM7/13/06

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> > I consider Stormbringer to be an elven weapon. I'm not sure
> why I came to this conclusion as I can't cite source stories
> for it the way I can with dwarves making Mjolnir (and Gungnir
> which doesn't exist in Nethack). There is the Norse story of
> Frey's sword which fights by itself. He offered it as dowery for
> his bride Gerd. Stormy's autoactive fits that nicely but Stormy
> comes from a very different set of modern source stories.

I'm pretty sure it's an 'elven runesword', in the same way that
Mjollnir is a heavy hammer (or whatever it is).

chuckcar

Jul 13, 2006, 7:28:46 PM7/13/06
"Feory" <aj.f...@googlemail.com> wrote in

Yup, it's Thor's hammer that he creates lightening (the stuff we see)
with.

hh...@thinksystem.net

Jul 14, 2006, 8:34:53 AM7/14/06

T-Bone wrote:
> > Wishes
> > (if/when I get that far) will go getting some heavy-hitting pets
> > (ie. tricked out Archons. Or possibly Alexes or Trolls)
>
> I see that you didn't, but why would one consider wishing up an aleax
> or troll over an archon?

Well, Aleaxes can wear more armor than an Archon and so can get to a
lower armor class (if I recall correctly, Aleaxes can use everything).
Trolls are relatively tough and they regenerate. I'm pretty sure I have
used them as a pet and had them rise from the dead and still be tame
multiple times.

> > T70102 I quaffed a hallucination before climbing to Earth, and
> > good thing. I had an out of body experience
>
> Wow. I never knew a !oHall would do this. I'm still learning things
> about this game...

Yeah, I read this in a discussion about the depth of Nethack, how any
one goal can be accomplished multiple ways, and even a potion of
hallucination had some utility. I filed it away as essentially useless
until I started thinking about doing this magic-resistanceless game. It
is a good thing that it is available, otherwise it would have taken me
more than 20 tries to do the elf. (And boy, would I have been annoyed
to lose one on the Plane of Earth.)

> > p - 14 +4 arrows (in quiver)
>
> I don't know, don't you need to use Elven arrows? Let's check the rule
> book on this one... ;)
>
> > Comestibles
> > o - an uncursed lizard corpse
> > M - an uncursed K-ration
>
> Not lembas? :P

Yeah, yeah, call this the 'weak' elven ascension if you want. But I
wanted it possible, so I worded the trick to be "wear" and "weild". I
did not include "quiver", "eat", "quaff", etc.

> > Note though, that none
> > of the games that I lost were due to not having magic resistance.
>
> I don't know what's more impressive, the naked 2-aklys-wielding gnome
> or this. I'd never even considered trying to ascend without MR before.

I can't say that I recommend it. Heck, in a normal game (pauses to try
to remember the last time I tried a "normal" game) I like to have
redundant magic resistance just in case the primary source gets stolen.

> > T77140 Third wish: blessed figurine of an Archon
>
> Another pattern in all 4. Do you usually do that, or is it just
> because you had lousy armor (at least in 2 of the 4 games)?

I do not usually do this. I am normally closer to petless after the
first few experience levels (or just take advantage of
pets-of-convience from Charm Monster). I used Archons for these because
I knew none of the characters would be as fully tricked-out as normal,
and because I was worried about Rodney and the Riders. In the end, I
think I dealt with them almost completely on my own, the Archons mainly
dealt with the other riff-raff.

> > T78853 ...Genocide w.
> > T78854 Genocide t.
> > T78854 Genocide ;.
> > T78855 ...genocide c.
> > T79425 Genocide P.
> > T79426 Genocide R.
> > T85127 ...goodbye L.
> > T85128 Goodbye N.
>
> This seems familiar too. I can see why you might say you're not sure
> if it was fun... I guess most are potential pet insta-deaths, and the
> others (except N) are pretty standard genocides in most games.

Well, c's were gone because I would be without gloves, and one blind
step onto a square with a c corpse and DYWYPI? L's I got rid of because
they are common, can be irratating with the teleporting, summoning, and
cursing, and the bigger ones have the touch-of-death that would have
been end-of-game for the elf and still worried me for the other ones
who had stealable magic resistance. w, t, and ; were to guard against
pet insta-deaths. P, R, and N were mainly to avoid irratations (and N
only to get rid of golden nagas, one genocidable source of destroy
armor spells).

--
-Harold Hill

hh...@thinksystem.net

Jul 14, 2006, 8:38:44 AM7/14/06

Well, that could be argued. You may want to consider this the 'weak' or
'easy' orcish ascension. A 'strong' or 'hard' orcish ascension would
include avoiding use of the the E-word. If you can make a go of it with
a naked, experience level 1 wizard without the use of Elbereth, more
power to you.

--
-Harold Hill

hh...@thinksystem.net

Jul 14, 2006, 8:55:38 AM7/14/06

chuckcar wrote:
> hh...@thinksystem.net wrote in
>
> > T33145 I would like the identify spell, so I blessed and read
> > all of the books I had found. No Identify, but I did have Light
> > so I used that to pratice Divination.
>
> A small question: how come or did you use the shops to level id the
> spellbooks? that would of told you if you had a 3rd level spellbook at
> all and you could have saved some holy water maybe.

Well, I didn't bother to identify the spellbook levels as I though I
would be interested in knowing most of the spells at some point in the
game, so I just blessed and read. I do know about shop identification,
and I have come to love clippy, the nethack shopping assistant:
http://nethack.roy.org/clippy/

--
-Harold Hill

hh...@thinksystem.net

Jul 14, 2006, 9:05:03 AM7/14/06

Unless I am wrong, the base type for Stormbringer, (which you can see
if you come to a bones level that had Stormbringer and your current
game already has it created), is just "runesword". Anyway, the basic
rule that I was going with was that everything that was going to be
worn or weilded had to have foo-en or foo-ish in the name. The
exceptions that I allowed was weilding an alkys for Gnomie and wearing
iron shoes for Dwarfie.

--
-Harold Hill

Ohle Claussen

Jul 14, 2006, 9:14:51 AM7/14/06
On 2006-07-14, hh...@thinksystem.net wrote:

> Feory wrote:
>> > why I came to this conclusion as I can't cite source stories
>> > for it the way I can with dwarves making Mjolnir (and Gungnir
>> > which doesn't exist in Nethack). There is the Norse story of
>> > Frey's sword which fights by itself. He offered it as dowery for
>> > his bride Gerd. Stormy's autoactive fits that nicely but Stormy
>> > comes from a very different set of modern source stories.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure it's an 'elven runesword', in the same way that
>> Mjollnir is a heavy hammer (or whatever it is).
>
> Unless I am wrong, the base type for Stormbringer, (which you can see
> if you come to a bones level that had Stormbringer and your current
> game already has it created), is just "runesword".

That is true, and what's more, there is no such thing as an "elven
runesword". There are elven broadswords, and a runesword is of the same
weapon skill class as a broadsword, but IIRC the only actual runeswords are
stormbringer and its bonefile-related base versions.

The fact that an un-IDed elven broadsword is called a "runed broadsword"
doesn't make the distinction easier, of course.

regards,
Ohle
--
Jann Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/~s251251

chuckcar

Jul 14, 2006, 6:23:36 PM7/14/06
hh...@thinksystem.net wrote in

Interesting. But I would't actually use it myself as I just use a
different vc to look at the spoilers when I'm stuck.

Feory

Jul 16, 2006, 11:02:45 AM7/16/06

Ohle Claussen wrote:
> That is true, and what's more, there is no such thing as an "elven
> runesword". There are elven broadswords, and a runesword is of the same
> weapon skill class as a broadsword, but IIRC the only actual runeswords are
> stormbringer and its bonefile-related base versions.
>
> The fact that an un-IDed elven broadsword is called a "runed broadsword"
> doesn't make the distinction easier, of course.
>
> regards,
> Ohle
> --
> Jann Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
> http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/~s251251
> BOFH Excuse #429:
> Temporal anomaly

Right, that's probably where I got confused.