Pudding farming

Mark

Dec 6, 2004, 8:13:33 PM12/6/04
Ive heard a lot about this, but how exactly does it work... I know
puddings sometimes multiply when you hit them... but how do you make
them keep on multiplying without killing them all??

BWIGLEY

Dec 6, 2004, 10:59:37 PM12/6/04

"Mark" <mdm...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> Ive heard a lot about this, but how exactly does it work... I know
> puddings sometimes multiply when you hit them... but how do you make
> them keep on multiplying without killing them all??
My technique:
TO PUDDING FARM

You will need:
1 (prefrebally) black pudding
1 stethoscope
1 (maby) spelbook of healing
1 (maby) altar
7 boulders
1 -4 thoroughly rusted+corroded knife
1 good fixed weapon
all your cloting should be fixed
Technique:

bulid a boulder fort like this:
000
0X0
0_0
Alatar at _
you at X( often with the E word engraved)

Hit a pudding with crap weapon check with stethoscope, hit or heal if it
will kill it, do many times, offer corpes and pick up death droped items.
Pray when you can.

This is my personal style and may or may not be the best.

gnohmon

Dec 6, 2004, 8:53:36 PM12/6/04
Really, you don't need to be quite so fancy. I have pudding-farmed
in Minetown with a coaligned priest. Dig the walls, step out, they
move into the temple. You step back in and kill some. It's as
easy as pudding.....

I will agree that you need a way of not being surrounded.
For example, an altar that is next to a wall is a very promising start
for a farm.

BWIGLEY

Dec 6, 2004, 11:36:34 PM12/6/04

"gnohmon" <gno...@panix.com> wrote in message

I forgot to mention digging +lighting up the level.

also a ?o scare monster is very helpfull

John Price

Dec 6, 2004, 9:06:56 PM12/6/04
Actually, I'm farming right now in Minetown. I don't have anything special,
but intrinsic teleportation and control is very helpful...

Andy Johnson

Dec 6, 2004, 9:34:14 PM12/6/04
BWIGLEY wrote:
> My technique:
> TO PUDDING FARM
>
> You will need:
> 1 (prefrebally) black pudding

Why a black pudding? Browns do no damage, seems like they'd be better.

BWIGLEY

Dec 7, 2004, 12:20:48 AM12/7/04

"Andy Johnson" <use...@REMOVETHIS.swervy.tk> wrote in message

Yep browns are ok but because of their lack of hitpoints it is a lot more
difficult to do it with them.

Jakob Creutzig

Dec 7, 2004, 3:16:21 AM12/7/04
mdm...@yahoo.com.au (Mark) writes:

First one should note the difference between brown and black
puddings. Brown puddings do 0D0 damage (should equal 0
most of the time ;-)) and let organic armor rot. Black
puddings do 3D8 damage and let iron armor rust.

Two main methods for farming:

Method 1a: Minimal farming. Take a brown or black pudding,
heal it, hit it with a dulled knife, then kill it and all
clones except one. Take the corpses and sacrifice if you
are near an altar. Repeat until you got what you wanted.
Time your moves a little in order not to be hit too often
by the remaining puddings. Apply a stethoscope if unsure
about the puddings HP (they don't divide when low on HP),
or heal generously. Retreat to the upper level to restore
spell points.

Method 1b: Moderate farming. As before, but allow for more
puddings to be produced, having waves of pudding creation
and pudding slaughtering, the latter preferrably directly
on the altar. Be careful about black puddings, they do
quite some damage in a pulk. Try not to get surrounded
by black puddings.

In this method, black puddings are popular despite
their damage value since they have a much higher
sacrifice value and have more HP, hence a higher
number of clones can be produced, speeding up the
farming a little.

Method 2: Puddings-R-Us. Use a brown pudding. Hit it
once or twice with the dulled knife (use a dented pot
if you want to keep weaponless conduct), then heal them
or wait 99 turns, then hit all of them again, heal or
wait 99 turns, hit all of the puddings surrounding you,
repeat this until they won't divide anymore; you've filled
the level. (Switch to a primary weapon every time some
other monster manages to get through, and have a wands
of cold ready for annoying distance combats, if you value
convenience.) Kill some gazillion puddings; switch between
a real weapon and your farming 'weapon' to let them re-grow.
Pick up the loads of trash and sort out the really good
stuff; once you're sure you can ascend with this stuff,
clear out the level (using your fists or some non--divide
weapon like elven swords helps a lot here). To be sure
not to be disturbed by Xorns with bad wands you can dig
out and illuminate the whole level.

Obviously, this method is not well--fit for black puddings.

Best,
Jakob

Jakob Creutzig

Martin Read

Dec 7, 2004, 6:00:50 AM12/7/04
"BWIGLEY" <BWI...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
[pudding choice for farming]

>Yep browns are ok but because of their lack of hitpoints it is a lot more
>difficult to do it with them.

That's what the "healing" spell is for.

Mumon

Dec 7, 2004, 12:40:05 PM12/7/04
My question is this, how do you get the pudding on a level with an
alter? I've seen them before (both black and brown) but never on a
level with an alter.

Jon Champion

Dec 7, 2004, 1:20:11 PM12/7/04
There's a minetown or two that have a sink in them. Kicking this has a
chance of producing a pudding, provided they are not genocided/extinct
(I think). Also, if you find a sink in another level with an altar on
it, this is a good way to start. Or, if you find a sink near a level
(I'd say about three or four above, and 1 or 2 below) with an altar,
then you can kill the pudding, and use a /oTurnUndead to revive it when
you're at the appropriate level. If the wand has enough charges, then
you can keep on doing this, essentially carrying the pudding across the
whole game if necessary. This can also be done across the whole game
with TP control and level teleport. Hope this helps you out, that's
been my ways of doing it.

--
Jon Champion

Jon Champion

Dec 7, 2004, 2:01:47 PM12/7/04

Andy Johnson

Dec 7, 2004, 2:01:42 PM12/7/04
Jon Champion wrote:

Another method is to tame a pudding (if you have charm), bring it with
you (magic whistle is nice), then abandon it on the level with an altar.
Then go to another level, wait a long time, and come back. The pudding
should be hostile or at least peaceful.

I've also tried digging holes to get them to fall to levels below, but
I'm not positive that worked. I think it does though.

zma...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2004, 3:35:02 PM12/7/04
Also, IIRC, you can read a cursed scroll of genocide to get any monster
you want to appear around you. It is kind of a waste of a good
genocide scroll though.

Martin Read

Dec 7, 2004, 3:57:07 PM12/7/04

Create monster and a little patience.

Or a cursed scroll of genocide.

Martin Read

Dec 7, 2004, 4:21:12 PM12/7/04

Given the context, I don't think any use of a magic item to set the
activity up can be fairly described as a waste...

BWIGLEY

Dec 7, 2004, 4:41:45 PM12/7/04
"Martin Read" <mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message

> [pudding choice for farming]
> >Yep browns are ok but because of their lack of hitpoints it is a lot more
> >difficult to do it with them.
>
> That's what the "healing" spell is for.

I found that I ran out of PP quite quickly and had to . very often which was
very annoying with teleportis and TC because you have to do 999 . . 999. .
999. . a lot more.

BWIGLEY

Dec 7, 2004, 4:50:06 PM12/7/04

> zma...@gmail.com wrote:
> >Also, IIRC, you can read a cursed scroll of genocide to get any monster
> >you want to appear around you. It is kind of a waste of a good
> >genocide scroll though.
>
> Given the context, I don't think any use of a magic item to set the
> activity up can be fairly described as a waste...

well in that case just wish up a cursed figurine.

Andy Johnson

Dec 7, 2004, 6:06:43 PM12/7/04
> well in that case just wish up a cursed figurine.\

What if it ends up tame? That would be terrible!

Boudewijn Waijers

Dec 7, 2004, 6:24:43 PM12/7/04
Andy Johnson wrote:

> Another method is to tame a pudding (if you have charm), bring it with
> you (magic whistle is nice), then abandon it on the level with an
> altar. Then go to another level, wait a long time, and come back. The
> pudding should be hostile or at least peaceful.

Why not just attack your pet? The negative effects can easily be
compensated with one or two sacrifices, which is much faster than
waiting thousands of turns on another level.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (bwaijers at home.nl).

Men think about sex about once every seven seconds,
leaving only 6 seconds for football.
- Jo Brand, British stand-up comedienne.

Andy Johnson

Dec 7, 2004, 7:48:47 PM12/7/04
Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Andy Johnson wrote:
>

>>Another method is to tame a pudding (if you have charm), bring it with
>>you (magic whistle is nice), then abandon it on the level with an
>>altar. Then go to another level, wait a long time, and come back. The
>>pudding should be hostile or at least peaceful.
>

> Why not just attack your pet? The negative effects can easily be
> compensated with one or two sacrifices, which is much faster than
> waiting thousands of turns on another level.

I had thought splitting a pet makes more pets, but a quick check in
wizmode says this isn't always the case. You may have to try a few times
though.

The tameness of your pudding would be no more than 5, which translates
to 750 turns on another level. If you're doing something else anyway
(sokoban, moving stashes), that's nothing.

BWIGLEY

Dec 7, 2004, 10:02:06 PM12/7/04

"Andy Johnson" <use...@REMOVETHIS.swervy.tk> wrote in message
attack it a few times (do tame puddings divide)
or let it go feral with time.

Jakob Creutzig

Dec 8, 2004, 10:41:18 AM12/8/04
"Mumon" <pox...@gmail.com> writes:

a) Patience, sink-kicking, scrolls/wands of create monster.
One should keep an eye of char and dungeon level unless kicking
sinks.

b) Use tricks like luring them on a level teleport trap,
or, say, you find/create a pudding above the altar level;
then you can make them divide while being near a hole
or pit, and eventually one of it will fall through it.
Sadly, it's not possible to poly into a pudding and
split up if you're hit..

Best,
Jakob

Dr. Richard E. Hawkins

Dec 8, 2004, 12:28:48 PM12/8/04
In article <O98td.23071$9A.4...@news.xtra.co.nz>,

BWIGLEY <BWI...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>"gnohmon" <gno...@panix.com> wrote in message
>> I will agree that you need a way of not being surrounded.
>> For example, an altar that is next to a wall is a very promising start
>> for a farm.
>>
>I forgot to mention digging +lighting up the level.

Not really necessary (or even useful)--once you've filled any significant
portion, there will always be plenty near you.

>also a ?o scare monster is very helpfull

That would obviate the need for boulders, as well . . .

hawk

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
doc...@psu.edu 111 Hiller (814) 375-4846 \ / against HTML mail

Dr. Richard E. Hawkins

Dec 8, 2004, 12:34:38 PM12/8/04
In article <cp5e43$e5s$1...@news3.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>,

Boudewijn Waijers <kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>Andy Johnson wrote:
>
>> Another method is to tame a pudding (if you have charm), bring it with
>> you (magic whistle is nice), then abandon it on the level with an
>> altar. Then go to another level, wait a long time, and come back. The
>> pudding should be hostile or at least peaceful.
>
>Why not just attack your pet? The negative effects can easily be
>compensated with one or two sacrifices, which is much faster than
>waiting thousands of turns on another level.

Not if those are saccrifices of your former pet . . .

Dr. Richard E. Hawkins

Dec 8, 2004, 12:33:59 PM12/8/04
In article <15utd.23460$9A.4...@news.xtra.co.nz>,

BWIGLEY <BWI...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>"Andy Johnson" <use...@REMOVETHIS.swervy.tk> wrote in message

>> > well in that case just wish up a cursed figurine.\

>> What if it ends up tame? That would be terrible
>attack it a few times (do tame puddings divide)

It's still a former pet--as are all the puddings that it splits into .
..

>or let it go feral with time.

I don't know wehther this removes former pet status for sacrifice
purposes or not.

Andy Johnson

Dec 8, 2004, 12:45:25 PM12/8/04
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins wrote:

> In article <15utd.23460$9A.4...@news.xtra.co.nz>,
> BWIGLEY <BWI...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>>or let it go feral with time.
>

> I don't know wehther this removes former pet status for sacrifice
> purposes or not.
>
> hawk

It worked for me, so I think it'd be fine.

Adam Borowski

Dec 9, 2004, 3:16:48 AM12/9/04
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> Sadly, it's not possible to poly into a pudding and
> split up if you're hit..

It is. It will cut your current (but not max) hp in half and create a
tame pudding called the same name as you.

KiloByte, killed by a black pudding called KiloByte

/-----------------------\ Shh, be vewy, vewy quiet,
| kilo...@mimuw.edu.pl | I'm hunting wuntime ewwows!
\-----------------------/
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Boudewijn Waijers

Dec 9, 2004, 5:12:09 AM12/9/04
BWIGLEY wrote:

> attack it a few times (do tame puddings divide)
> or let it go feral with time.

I think a simple solution to the pudding farming "problem" (if you
consider it a problem) would be to give them the ability of the
gelatinous cube: have it eat items (not with the same probability of
cubes, but a chance of doing so).

That way, farming would become even more tedious than it is now,
although still possible.

Jakob Creutzig

Dec 9, 2004, 5:51:18 AM12/9/04
Adam Borowski <kilo...@mimuw.edu.pl> writes:

> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> > Sadly, it's not possible to poly into a pudding and
> > split up if you're hit..
>
> It is. It will cut your current (but not max) hp in half and create a
> tame pudding called the same name as you.

Hmh.. Strange. I thought I tried that one once and didn't succeed.
Well, I stand corrected, thanks for clarifying.

Best,
Jakob

james

Feb 20, 2005, 1:49:24 AM2/20/05
In article <3eb22989.04120...@posting.google.com>,
Mark <mdm...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>but how do you make
>them keep on multiplying without killing them all??

p - a thoroughly corroded -6 scimitar named Puddingbane
q - a spellbook of healing
s - a stethoscope

james

Feb 20, 2005, 1:54:23 AM2/20/05
In article <ap8y8al...@fb04349.mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de>,
Jakob Creutzig <creu...@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

>In this method, black puddings are popular despite
>their damage value since they have a much higher
>sacrifice value.

AC -28, 330HP, I don't mind swimming in a sea of black puddings.

james

Feb 20, 2005, 1:57:40 AM2/20/05
In article <1102441205....@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,

One of my altars, which happens to be where I already had quite a huge
early game stash, and where I'd already pick-axed almost the entire
level out, was right above a room with a sink (the downstairs are in
the room with the altar, the sink is just below.) My character is
strong enough to carry a black pudding corpse up the stairs, and a
wand of undead turning did the rest.

Another way would be to start with a pet black pudding and use a magic
whistle or whatever.

If the sink is above the altar, you can lure one into holes.

How about a figurine? Or a statue and stone-to-flesh? Or
reverse-genocide?

james

Feb 20, 2005, 1:59:06 AM2/20/05
In article <1102451702.9...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
<zma...@gmail.com> wrote:

Genocide is a liability, after you've done Liches.

Jesse Meyer

Feb 20, 2005, 4:50:48 AM2/20/05

I dunno: I like taking out 'n', 'h' (I tend not to need the int boost),
'R' and 'c' (I don't use rubber chickens), ';' (why not?), etc (not
necessarily in the order given).

Or #dip them in !oUW and go to sokoban. :)

(As a side note, I once calculated the odds: Assuming you have spare
blank scrolls, wishing for a magic marker and reverse genoing the
appropriate species gives you a decent chance of getting dragon scales
with a scroll or two left over.)

--
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is
not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they

james

Feb 20, 2005, 4:28:21 PM2/20/05
In article <ohm9vc...@btinet.net>,
Jesse Meyer <meyer_sp...@ideaone.net> wrote:

>> Genocide is a liability, after you've done Liches.
>
>I dunno: I like taking out 'n', 'h' (I tend not to need the int boost),
>'R' and 'c' (I don't use rubber chickens), ';' (why not?), etc (not
>necessarily in the order given).

n's are a good source of potions (meaning, holy water supply.)
I won't do all h's, but I will do MMF's.

If you genocide too many classes, then towards the end of the game you
get whole levels filled with bad things.

Kent Paul Dolan

Feb 20, 2005, 9:56:48 PM2/20/05
james wrote:

> p - a thoroughly corroded -6 scimitar named Puddingbane

Oh, stop, mercy! My ribs hurt!

xanthian.