YAFAP: Vlay-Val-Hum-Fem-Law (long)

Stabwound

Sep 1, 2004, 4:01:22 AM9/1/04
Wow, I am pretty happy with myself. I don't mean to brag, but I have only
been playing Nethack for about a week and a half now. In fact, I only have
around 50 characters on my highscore list. Yeah, I was spoiled to death, but
it was still pretty hard, and was not without a few huge mistakes and close
calls. It was pretty nervewracking considering this was the first character
I've ever gotten past Medusa. I have to give a lot of credit to itsblah in
#nethack on irc.freenode.org - he was very helpful and gave me a lot of good
tips and help.

Anyway, this was a pretty easy ascension. Off the bat I quickly got to
clevel 5 and dipped for Excalibur. I then hit the mines on dlevel 4, and
found no less than 3 bones piles in the mines. 2 were mine, and 1 was from
Hearse. I grabbed some decent starting equipment from them, including an
Amulet of Reflection from a previous character, a touchstone from the Hearse
bones pile of an Archeologist, and wound up with a ring of teleport and a
ring of teleport control from various bones piles. Somewhere in the mines,
my pet cat hit a level teleport trap, and was never seen again.

I hit Sokoban, and grabbed the bag of holding. From there I dove down until
I hit an aligned altar a dlevel or two after Sokoban. I sacrified to Tyr
until I got my gift of Mjollnir, and I used that for the rest of the game,
enchanting it every time I got the chance.

I dove down farther and got to the quest portal, but was only clevel 12, so
I just kept diving down the dungeon. I hit another bones pile of mine, and
picked up some more decent equipment including a magic lamp (which I used
strictly as a light source). Once I hit Medusa's level I turned around and
headed back to my quest portal after deciding to quaff 2 potions of gain
level. I had never done the quest before, but it proved to be a breeze and
Lord Surtur fell in 3 hits from my +6 Mjollnir.

At that point, I was talking in the #nethack channel about not having very
much AC. From there they told me that I could try to find Fort Ludios and
that it had a ton of money and was a good place to get equipment. I set off,
searching on dlevel 11. I found the portal to Ludios on dlevel 12, and
cleared it easily, racking up a good 40,000 zorkmids I believe. I bought as
much bonus AC protection as I could from that, and wasted about 15,000
trying to get 1 last bonus point that I never got.

I took almost all of the helmets and went to my altar and b/u/c checked
them, and tried them on, since I really needed a better helmet. I found a +3
helmet in there, and it was the helmet I used for the rest of the game (I
enchanted it once after). Then on this newsgroup I saw people talking about
polypiling, and I thought it would be a good idea to polypile a ton of armor
from Ludios to try to get something good. I spent about an hour or so taking
a ton of armor and equipment to my base/altar (don't ask me why). After
polypiling everything about 5 times, I was very disappointed that I really
didn't find anything good. I did manage to get an Hawaiian shirt and an
oilskin cloak that I used for the rest of the game (more on the Hawaiian
shirt later).

From there I hit Medusa's level, killing her easily with my amulet of
reflection, and a blindfold on "just in case". I dove down to the castle,
and noticed there was a mind flayer of some flavour in the castle. I decided
to genocide them so I wouldn't have to worry about it. I cleared the castle,
grabbed the wand of wishing, and fell down into the Valley of the Dead for
the first time ever.

I dove down quickly with few problems, and found yet another wand of wishing
2 levels below the castle. I hit Juiblex where I had an extremely close
call. He immediately devoured and Sickened me and I was starting to panic. I
hit him a few times and he died, then I tried to #pray to get the sickness
away. Mistake. I angered my god, lost all my bought protection, and to top
it off I had a summoned demon beside me and I was Sick. I did a level
teleport to my stash on dlevel 14. In desperation I tried to #pray again,
and it worked. I took out the demon easy, but not before he summoned another
one or something. I survived that huge, stupid mistake, but not without
losing 9AC points and having no money left at all. I read up a bit on
killing priests, and decided it was in my best interest to kill a priest
I've bought protection off of to get the money back. I got about 1/2 my
money back because I used money on more than one priest, and got a good
chunk of of my AC back.

Halfway through Gehennom I decided it would be a good idea to try out this
"nurse dancing" that I read about. I wished for 2 cursed scrolls of genocide
and let them rip in the first sokoban level. I managed to get around 80-100
more HP from that. I did another round of nurse dancing later on. I also
gained about 12 clevels through the game by eating wraiths and quaffing
potions of gain level.

Around this time someone told me that it would be a good idea to wish for a
spellbook of magic mapping to help in Gehennom. I did so, and as any
experienced player (not me) would know, I didn't even have a chance at being
able to cast it. I was then told that a robe and a helm of brilliance might
help me. I wished for both, and they didn't help at all. So there I wasted 3
wishes for nothing. To top it off, I decided to try enchanting the helm of
brilliance to use, but I forgot to take off my +4 Hawaiian shirt and ended
up disintegrating it. In anger I threw the helm of brilliance in my stash
and never looked at it again.

Anyway, I kept diving through Gehennom and killed Vlad, got the candlestick,
and dove down further. I was scared and happy when I first saw the Wizard of
Yendor, it was cool. I kept diving, and near the bottom of the dungeon I hit
stupid mistake #2. It was very late at night, and I was tired, and I
accidently put an unidentified wand into my bag of holding. Of course I
should have known better, and it ended up being a wand of cancellation and I
lost my bag. I don't even remember was I had in the bag, but I did lose a
ton of potions and scrolls. I luckily managed to find another bag of holding
somewhere in Gehennom.

I finished mapping out Gehennom and found the vibrating square. At this
point I decided to go through the whole dungeon and dig out optimal paths
from each stairway to the other. I realize now that it would be better to do
this as I go along instead of going back to do it after. I went to go get
prepared for killing the Wizard and realized I really had no potions of full
healing left. I screwed around in Gehennom for a while, used a lot of
wands/scrolls of create monster and managed to pick up a nice handful of
potions to use.

I decided to go for it, and I loaded up my pack with everything I thought I
would need, left everything else including all my other artifacts in my
stash, and went down to kill the Wizard. I dropped him fast the first time,
and I believe he came alive right away. I grabbed the book, then level
teleported down to the bottom and performed the little ceremony to open the
way to the priest of Moloch. When I went in, the Wizard appeared and
teleported right beside the priest. I fought my way through and had a pretty
hard time finding the secret door to get to the priest. I got some of my
stuff cursed, and the priest/wizard combo was a little bit tougher than I
anticipated, but I dropped both of them pretty easily. I grabbed the amulet,
waved goodbye to the priest's corpse, and took off.

On my way up through the dungeon, I don't believe I saw the Wizard even once
until after I entered the plains. I stopped on dlevel 14 to check my stash
one last time, and then headed down. When I first entered the Earth Plains
the Wizard appeared and I killed him easily, and grabbed his potion and wand
of digging. I used my Orb of Fate to find the portal and dug my way over
easily.

When I hit the Air Plains I was pretty surprised. Until that point, I really
had no problem with any monsters and never really even watched my HP. On the
Air Plains, although, it was different. I was dropped into low 100's of HP
from the air elementals, and ended up using my first potion of full healing.
I finally fought my way over to the portal and jumped in.

The Fire plains were a lot easier, and the only problem I had was that my
Orb of Fate was out of charges, so I tried a cursed scroll of detect gold.
This didn't help a lot, because there was a good 15-20 piles of gold there.
I used my stashed blessed scroll of charging to fix up my orb, and used it
again. It ended up confusing me and didn't work. I tried a few more times
and I finally got it.

I hit the Water Plains and it was the easiest part so far. The only annoying
part was trying to find the portal with the air bubbles throwing me around
everywhere.

Finally, I was on the Astral Plains. I started out in the lower left corner.
Somewhere in there I ended up blinded, and decided to just keep going since
I had telepathy. I decided to try the left altar first, and right away I met
Death. He was a pretty big wimp, and died easily. When I got to the altar, I
found out it was the chaotic altar, and was pretty mad. I got myself
together and decided to try the middle one. I had to take out Death a few
more times on my way out. Next I met Pestilence. I took him out with a wand
of death, and made my way up to the middle altar. Surprise, it was still the
wrong altar. When I tried to get out, Pestilence got me and made me Ill. I
quickly used a blessed unicorn horn, then blasted him again with a wand of
death. I finally made my way to the last remaining altar, and took out
Famine twice who was no problem at all. I made my way to the altar, smiled,
and sacrified the Amulet...

Commented dump below- I left a lot of stuff in my stash box, including most
of my artifacts. I just now noticed my gold. 1337 zorkmids. Hahahahahaha.
Leet.

Vlay, lawful female human Valkyrie

---------
|.......|
|.......| -----
|..._...| |... 1 5
|...%...| --..--------- 5
|.......| --5.5|......a|
----)---- --5.11|..a.@..|
_ -%%)%%%)%% ..).. A.@aaa%...@...| 5
....[.... ) --1.11|.......| 4
-----|----- --..%|.......|
--%-- | --%1---------
-------%$ -
| -
--- -%- %
` %% `

Vlay the Heroine St:25 Dx:18 Co:18 In:10 Wi:17 Ch:15 Lawful
Astral Plane $:1337 HP:212(339) Pw:87(87) AC:-42 Xp:24/40157191 T:77746

Your inventory
Amulets
p - an uncursed amulet of life saving (being worn) //just in case
Weapons
w - the rustproof +6 Mjollnir (weapon in hand) //used this weapon for the
entire game
Armor
B - a blessed +4 pair of gauntlets of power (being worn)
F - an uncursed greased +4 helmet (being worn)
G - a blessed greased +4 gray dragon scale mail (being worn)
K - an uncursed greased fireproof +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)
Q - an uncursed +2 Hawaiian shirt (being worn)
U - an uncursed fireproof +5 oilskin cloak (being worn)
V - a cursed greased +4 shield of reflection (being worn) //from the
Persius statue
Comestibles
E - 8 uncursed K-rations
Rings
W - an uncursed ring of slow digestion (on right hand)
Y - an uncursed ring of free action (on left hand)
Wands
e - a wand of death (0:2)
r - a wand of teleportation (0:5)
O - a wand of death (0:0)
P - a wand of cancellation (0:4)
R - a wand of striking (0:0)
Tools
b - an uncursed blindfold
d - a +0 pick-axe
h - a +0 unicorn horn
l - the blessed Orb of Fate (1:1)
y - a blessed greased bag of holding named bag of holding //never
officially identified my second BoH
C - a +0 unicorn horn
J - an uncursed magic lamp //used as a light source
S - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
T - an uncursed magic whistle //thought it might be useful for the
Guardian Angel; it wasn't

Contents of the bag of holding named bag of holding:
an uncursed amulet of life saving //backup
a cursed amulet of life saving //backup 2 - Wizard cursed this before I
threw it in the bag
a cursed amulet of reflection
a cursed amulet of strangulation
a cursed amulet of strangulation
an uncursed thoroughly burnt rotted +0 pair of water walking boots //they
were in horrid condition but served me well
7 uncursed C-rations
an uncursed scroll of enchant armor
an uncursed scroll of food detection
an uncursed scroll of genocide //just incase
2 cursed scrolls of identify
3 uncursed scrolls of teleportation
a cursed scroll of teleportation
an uncursed scroll of teleportation
a blessed scroll of teleportation
a blessed scroll of blank paper
2 uncursed scrolls of blank paper
a blessed scroll of blank paper
an uncursed potion of monster detection
2 uncursed potions of water
2 potions of holy water
an uncursed potion of acid
an uncursed potion of booze
a cursed potion of extra healing
2 uncursed potions of gain level
an uncursed potion of healing
4 uncursed potions of healing
an uncursed potion of object detection
an uncursed potion of see invisible
a blessed potion of see invisible
an uncursed potion of sickness
an uncursed potion of speed
an uncursed ring of fire resistance
an uncursed ring of stealth
a cursed -1 ring of adornment
an uncursed ring of aggravate monster
a cursed ring of cold resistance
an uncursed ring of cold resistance
an uncursed ring of conflict
an uncursed ring of conflict
an uncursed ring of free action
a blessed +1 ring of gain constitution
an uncursed +1 ring of gain strength
an uncursed +2 ring of gain strength
an uncursed ring of hunger
a cursed -1 ring of increase accuracy
an uncursed +1 ring of increase damage
a cursed ring of invisibility
an uncursed ring of invisibility
a cursed ring of invisibility
a cursed ring of invisibility
an uncursed ring of invisibility
an uncursed ring of levitation
an uncursed ring of levitation
an uncursed ring of polymorph control
a blessed +1 ring of protection
an uncursed +1 ring of protection
an uncursed ring of protection from shape changers
a cursed ring of regeneration
an uncursed ring of regeneration
an uncursed ring of searching
an uncursed ring of see invisible
a cursed ring of shock resistance
an uncursed ring of shock resistance
an uncursed ring of slow digestion
an uncursed ring of sustain ability
an uncursed ring of sustain ability
an uncursed ring of teleport control
an uncursed ring of teleport control
an uncursed ring of teleportation
a wand of cold (0:3)
a wand of death (0:3)
a wand of digging (0:4) \\
a wand of digging (0:5) \\
a wand of digging (0:0) \\ didn't know how many charges, took them all
for Earth Plains
a wand of digging (0:5) //
a wand of digging (0:7) //
a wand of digging (0:6) //
a wand of digging (0:1) //
a wand of fire (0:5)
a wand of magic missile (0:4)
a wand of teleportation (0:4)
a wand of teleportation (1:15)
a wand of teleportation (0:6)
a wand of teleportation (0:4)
a can of grease (0:12)
a magic harp (0:6)
a blessed magic marker (1:3)
a blessed magic marker (0:15)
a +0 unicorn horn
a +0 unicorn horn
a blessed +0 unicorn horn

Final attributes
You were piously aligned
Your alignment was 398
You were fire resistant
You were cold resistant
You were sleep resistant
You were disintegration-resistant
You were shock resistant
You were poison resistant
You were magic-protected
You were telepathic
You were warned
You were stealthy
You aggravated monsters // I didn't know I had this
You could teleport // intrinsic- ate a leprechaun to replce my ring of
teleportation
You had slower digestion
You were protected
You were very fast
You had reflection
You had free action
Your life would have been saved
You were extremely lucky (12)
You had extra luck
Good luck did not time out for you
You survived

Spells known in the end
Name Level Category Fail
a - polymorph 6* matter 100%
b - create monster 2* clerical 100%
c - detect unseen 3* divination 100%
d - detect monsters 1* divination 100%
e - detect food 2* divination 100%
f - sleep 1* enchantment 100%
g - restore ability 4* healing 100%
h - magic missile 2* attack 100% // learned all spells
for nothing; never casted anything
i - slow monster 2* enchantment 100%
j - magic mapping 5* divination 100%
k - force bolt 1* attack 100%
l - stone to flesh 3* healing 100%
m - healing 1* healing 100%
n - fireball 4* attack 100%
o - drain life 2* attack 100%
p - knock 1* matter 100%
q - detect treasure 4* divination 100%
r - cone of cold 4* attack 100%

Vanquished creatures
Asmodeus
Baalzebub
Orcus
Juiblex // pain in the ass; almost killed me
The Wizard of Yendor (5 times)
Death (thrice) //wimp!
Pestilence (twice)
Famine (twice)
a high priest (4 created)
5 mastodons
Medusa
Croesus //thanks for the gold
9 krakens (17 created)
10 iron golems (12 created)
a master lich //not even sure where this was
5 storm giants (9 created)
5 glass golems
6 balrogs (7 created)
12 purple worms (18 created)
2 gray dragons (7 created)
5 silver dragons (6 created)
7 red dragons (14 created)
8 white dragons (9 created)
2 orange dragons (5 created)
5 black dragons (7 created)
6 blue dragons (8 created)
4 green dragons (7 created)
3 yellow dragons (5 created)
15 minotaurs (19 created)
5 jabberwocks (7 created)
Lord Surtur //easy quest boss
10 baluchitheria (13 created)
12 Angels (27 created)
Vlad the Impaler //wimp
4 stone golems (12 created)
a master mind flayer //from a bones level. Luckily he was for some reason
more concerned with hitting the ghost (?)
6 Olog-hai (7 created)
6 Nazguls (9 created)
5 pit fiends (16 created)
5 sandestins (6 created)
7 hell hounds (13 created)
11 titanotheres (15 created)
8 trappers (13 created)
a baby white dragon
a baby black dragon
a baby blue dragon
a disenchanter //after a run-in with this guy, I decided to genocide them
26 vampire lords (29 created)
5 skeletons
31 aligned priests (44 created)
2 captains (3 created)
6 shades
3 liches
4 water trolls (2 created)
6 clay golems
11 nurses (37 created)
8 ice devils (11 created)
7 nalfeshnees
9 lurkers above (15 created)
4 frost giants
10 ettins
a golden naga (3 created)
26 black puddings (12 created)
29 vampires (33 created)
8 lieutenants
39 ghosts (45 created)
a samurai
a wizard (2 created)
a queen bee
5 winged gargoyles (7 created)
a mind flayer
10 giant mimics (12 created)
12 zruties (16 created)
31 fire giants (47 created)
4 ogre kings (8 created)
13 ice trolls (5 created)
12 rock trolls (18 created)
13 umber hulks (15 created)
5 flesh golems (9 created)
6 Elvenkings (7 created)
8 doppelgangers (10 created)
16 hezrous
16 bone devils (18 created)
8 large mimics (11 created)
7 wumpuses (11 created)
4 fire vortices (7 created)
a baby long worm
12 long worms (17 created)
23 stalkers (26 created)
17 air elementals (20 created)
11 fire elementals (29 created)
14 earth elementals (33 created)
15 water elementals (34 created)
14 hill giants (16 created)
6 giant mummies (7 created)
2 black nagas (5 created)
12 xorns (14 created)
25 giant zombies (27 created)
31 elf-lords (32 created)
26 sergeants (27 created)
16 barbed devils (20 created)
18 vrocks (20 created)
4 salamanders (10 created)
27 wargs (28 created)
3 winter wolves
7 hell hound pups
22 small mimics (31 created)
3 glass piercers (5 created)
8 warhorses (9 created)
7 steam vortices (11 created)
13 xans (15 created)
4 ettin mummies (5 created)
16 ogre lords (20 created)
13 quantum mechanics (16 created)
26 trolls (17 created)
8 wood golems (11 created)
3 erinyes
3 mariliths (4 created)
2 djinn (3 created)
6 sharks (8 created)
2 electric eels (8 created)
14 gelatinous cubes (15 created)
7 pyrolisks (8 created)
7 large dogs
4 freezing spheres (5 created)
20 flaming spheres
9 shocking spheres (10 created)
9 large cats
11 tigers
12 gargoyles (16 created)
2 dwarf kings
8 tengu (13 created) //tried to get teleport control. I did not.
12 ochre jellies (14 created)
8 leocrottas (9 created)
6 energy vortices (7 created)
7 mountain centaurs
3 stone giants (14 created)
13 elf mummies
5 human mummies (7 created)
5 red nagas (6 created)
6 green slimes (9 created)
14 pit vipers (20 created)
4 pythons
11 cobras (13 created)
51 wraiths (52 created) //got about 5 corpses
7 carnivorous apes (11 created)
16 ettin zombies
7 leather golems (8 created)
19 Grey-elves (20 created)
119 soldiers (120 created)
8 horned devils (7 created)
12 succubi
9 incubi (10 created)
7 chameleons (10 created)
2 crocodiles
39 giant beetles (55 created)
12 quivering blobs (15 created)
28 cockatrices (34 created)
33 wolves (37 created)
11 winter wolf cubs
7 lynxes
6 panthers (7 created)
21 gremlins (22 created)
6 spotted jellies (7 created)
46 leprechauns (47 created)
8 orc-captains (9 created)
7 iron piercers
a mumak
15 giant spiders (17 created)
12 scorpions (16 created)
10 horses (13 created)
2 ice vortices
13 black lights (14 created)
13 vampire bats (15 created)
5 forest centaurs (6 created)
10 gnome kings (11 created)
3 orc mummies (4 created)
8 dwarf mummies
6 ogres (11 created)
54 brown puddings (13 created)
4 rust monsters
17 owlbears (19 created)
9 yetis (10 created)
6 gold golems
6 werewolves
35 Green-elves (38 created)
3 piranhas (8 created)
19 giant eels (32 created)
22 lizards (23 created)
a warrior (8 created)
12 chickatrices (14 created)
8 dogs
6 dingos
4 housecats
18 jaguars (19 created)
3 dwarf lords (4 created)
10 blue jellies (13 created)
5 gray unicorns (7 created)
4 black unicorns
11 dust vortices (14 created)
11 ravens (12 created)
7 plains centaurs
3 gnome mummies (5 created)
10 snakes
a water moccasin (0 created)
24 apes
29 human zombies (30 created)
8 rope golems
12 Woodland-elves (16 created)
20 soldier ants (24 created)
79 fire ants (81 created)
11 bugbears
an imp
9 lemures
8 quasits
6 wood nymphs (7 created)
7 water nymphs (6 created)
9 mountain nymphs (10 created)
25 Mordor orcs (33 created)
35 Uruk-hai (42 created)
5 orc shamans (4 created)
15 rock piercers (19 created)
4 rock moles (5 created)
10 ponies
10 fog clouds (19 created)
14 yellow lights
5 shriekers (6 created)
9 violet fungi (10 created)
16 gnome lords (18 created)
12 gnomish wizards
4 kobold mummies (6 created)
2 black naga hatchlings
a golden naga hatchling
6 guardian naga hatchlings (7 created)
8 gray oozes
6 barrow wights
25 elf zombies
18 ghouls
4 straw golems
a paper golem (2 created)
5 jellyfish (9 created)
2 baby crocodiles (3 created)
44 giant ants (54 created)
5 little dogs
13 floating eyes (17 created)
4 kittens
12 dwarves (23 created)
5 homunculi
6 kobold lords
4 kobold shamans
24 hill orcs (29 created)
20 rothes
8 rabid rats (7 created)
5 centipedes (6 created)
8 giant bats (10 created)
9 monkeys
22 orc zombies
17 dwarf zombies
4 wererats (3 created)
2 werejackals
13 iguanas
65 killer bees (71 created)
6 acid blobs (7 created)
7 coyotes (6 created)
3 gas spores (4 created)
8 hobbits (11 created)
10 manes
5 large kobolds
12 hobgoblins
16 giant rats
6 cave spiders (7 created)
3 brown molds (4 created)
5 yellow molds (9 created)
2 green molds (5 created)
3 red molds (5 created)
50 gnomes (57 created)
14 garter snakes (15 created)
14 gnome zombies (15 created)
10 geckos (12 created)
17 jackals (18 created)
3 foxes (2 created)
4 kobolds
10 goblins (9 created)
5 sewer rats
10 grid bugs (11 created)
7 bats (9 created)
3 lichens (4 created)
22 kobold zombies
9 newts (10 created)
3128 creatures vanquished.

Genocided or extinct species:
hobbits \\
dwarves \\
bugbears \\
dwarf lords // Side effect of genociding "h"
dwarf kings//
mind flayers
master mind flayers
liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches
rust monsters
disenchanters
Nazguls (extinct)
soldiers (extinct)
erinyes (extinct)
13 species genocided.
3 species extinct.

Voluntary challenges
You genocided 13 types of monsters
You polymorphed 1481 items //hahaha. Only decent things I got were oilskin
cloaks and shirts.
You never changed form
You used 12 wishes
You did not wish for any artifacts

Your skills at the end
Fighting Skills
bare handed combat [Basic]
Weapon Skills
dagger [Basic]
pick-axe [Skilled]
long sword [Expert]
saber [Basic]
hammer [Expert]
Spellcasting Skills
(none)

Farvel Vlay the Demigoddess...
You went to your reward with 4980764 points, //Left almost everything in my
stash to stay unburdened
The Orb of Fate (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
Mjollnir (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
3 amulets of life saving (worth 450 zorkmids),
2 amulets of strangulation (worth 300 zorkmids),
1 amulet of reflection (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 1337 pieces of gold, after 77746 moves. //1337 gold. LEET!
Killer: ascended
You were level 24 with a maximum of 339 hit points when you ascended.

You made the top ten list! //Take a look at my list... :P

No Points Name Hp
[max]
1 4980764 Vlay-Val-Hum-Fem-Law ascended to demigoddess-hood. 212
[339]
2 259856 Kotni-Val-Hum-Fem-Law died in The Dungeons of Doom on
level 21 [max 24]. Killed by brainlessness {28212}. 112
[117]
3 175479 Lyndia-Val-Hum-Fem-Law died in The Dungeons of Doom
on level 21. Drowned in a pool of water by an
electric eel {24947}. 118
[118]
4 22256 Valina-Val-Hum-Fem-Law died in The Gnomish Mines on
level 6 [max 8]. Killed by a human mummy {7088}. -
[91]

Alexis

Sep 1, 2004, 6:51:15 AM9/1/04
exh...@REMOVE-THISgmailDELETE-THIS.com wrote:
> Wow, I am pretty happy with myself. I don't mean to brag, but I have only
> been playing Nethack for about a week and a half now. In fact, I only have
> around 50 characters on my highscore list. Yeah, I was spoiled to death, but
> it was still pretty hard, and was not without a few huge mistakes and close
> calls.

If you've ascended after a week and a half you've got every right to
brag! My hat's off to you.

Impressed,

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com

Boudewijn Waijers

Sep 1, 2004, 9:18:28 AM9/1/04
Alexis wrote:
> exh...@REMOVE-THISgmailDELETE-THIS.com wrote:

>> Wow, I am pretty happy with myself. I don't mean to brag, but I have
>> only been playing Nethack for about a week and a half now. In fact,
>> I only have around 50 characters on my highscore list. Yeah, I was
>> spoiled to death, but it was still pretty hard, and was not without
>> a few huge mistakes and close calls.

> If you've ascended after a week and a half you've got every right to
> brag! My hat's off to you.

I haven't ascended in a *decade* and a half, and I can hardly imagine
more than twenty people more heavily spoiled than I am...

--
Boudewijn Waijers (bwaijers at home.nl).

"So computers are tools of the Devil? thought Newt. He had no problem
believing it. Computers had to be the tools of *somebody*, and all he
knew for certain was that it definitely wasn't him."
- Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, in "Good Omens".

Kevin Wayne

Sep 1, 2004, 12:48:37 PM9/1/04
Quoth Stabwound in the annals of <10jb0el...@corp.supernews.com> ...

> Wow, I am pretty happy with myself. I don't mean to brag,

Oh c'mon. Sure you do. :-)

> but I have only
> been playing Nethack for about a week and a half now.

Okay, that's just sick.

> Anyway, this was a pretty easy ascension. Off the bat I quickly got to
> clevel 5 and dipped for Excalibur. I then hit the mines on dlevel 4, and
> found no less than 3 bones piles in the mines.

I wonder how many first ascensions are related to finding early bones
piles....

> until I got my gift of Mjollnir, and I used that for the rest of the game,
> enchanting it every time I got the chance.

Not beyond +7, I trust.

> I dove down quickly with few problems, and found yet another wand of wishing
> 2 levels below the castle. I hit Juiblex where I had an extremely close
> call. He immediately devoured and Sickened me and I was starting to panic.

You should have had a unicorn horn by this point.

> hit him a few times and he died, then I tried to #pray to get the sickness
> away. Mistake. I angered my god, lost all my bought protection, and to top
> it off I had a summoned demon beside me and I was Sick. I did a level
> teleport to my stash on dlevel 14. In desperation I tried to #pray again,
> and it worked.

Hmmm. If you angered your god by praying in Gehennom, he shouldn't have
helped you immediately afterward. Anyone else know what gives here?

> Around this time someone told me that it would be a good idea to wish for a
> spellbook of magic mapping to help in Gehennom. I did so, and as any
> experienced player (not me) would know, I didn't even have a chance at being
> able to cast it. I was then told that a robe and a helm of brilliance might
> help me. I wished for both, and they didn't help at all.

At first I thought the problem was metallic armor, but then I ran the
numbers from the spoilers and... yep, you had no chance.

> When I hit the Air Plains I was pretty surprised. Until that point, I really
> had no problem with any monsters and never really even watched my HP. On the
> Air Plains, although, it was different. I was dropped into low 100's of HP
> from the air elementals, and ended up using my first potion of full healing.
> I finally fought my way over to the portal and jumped in.

Air elementals (on Air) are one of the toughest monsters of the Planes.

Strange... you should have had a more complete map if you had to go to
all three altars.

I'd have dropped this after Earth.

> h - a +0 unicorn horn
> l - the blessed Orb of Fate (1:1)
> y - a blessed greased bag of holding named bag of holding //never
> officially identified my second BoH
> C - a +0 unicorn horn
> J - an uncursed magic lamp //used as a light source
> S - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
> T - an uncursed magic whistle //thought it might be useful for the
> Guardian Angel; it wasn't
>
> Contents of the bag of holding named bag of holding:

> <snippage>

> a cursed ring of invisibility
> an uncursed ring of invisibility
> a cursed ring of invisibility
> a cursed ring of invisibility
> an uncursed ring of invisibility

From the Department of Redundancy Department? Or collecting Nazgul rings?

> a wand of digging (0:4) \\
> a wand of digging (0:5) \\
> a wand of digging (0:0) \\ didn't know how many charges, took them all
> for Earth Plains
> a wand of digging (0:5) //
> a wand of digging (0:7) //
> a wand of digging (0:6) //
> a wand of digging (0:1) //

I'd have dropped these after Earth, as well. It's a bit amazing you
weren't burdened.

> a +0 unicorn horn
> a +0 unicorn horn
> a blessed +0 unicorn horn
>
> Final attributes
> You were piously aligned
> Your alignment was 398

Never crowned, huh?

You could have cast low level attack spells for practice if you'd
temporarily taken off the GoP, SoR, and metal helmet. Valks can advance
to basic in attack spells, and cone of cold is the Valk's special spell.
Could've been useful.

> Vanquished creatures
> Asmodeus
> Baalzebub
> Orcus
> Juiblex // pain in the ass; almost killed me
> The Wizard of Yendor (5 times)
> Death (thrice) //wimp!
> Pestilence (twice)
> Famine (twice)
> a high priest (4 created)

> 6 Nazguls (9 created)
> 3 erinyes
> 119 soldiers (120 created)

> 3128 creatures vanquished.
>
> Genocided or extinct species:
> hobbits \\
> dwarves \\
> bugbears \\
> dwarf lords // Side effect of genociding "h"
> dwarf kings//
> mind flayers
> master mind flayers
> liches
> demiliches
> master liches
> arch-liches
> rust monsters
> disenchanters
> Nazguls (extinct)
> soldiers (extinct)
> erinyes (extinct)
> 13 species genocided.
> 3 species extinct.

I guess the "extinct" flag gets tripped by monster creation, not
destruction, since it seems you didn't actually kill all the soldiers and
Nazgul.

Congrats!

--
Kevin Wayne

"I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"Waters? What waters? We're in the desert!"
"I was misinformed."

Kent Paul Dolan

Sep 1, 2004, 1:14:24 PM9/1/04
"Boudewijn Waijers" <kro...@home.nl> wrote:
> Alexis wrote:
>> exh...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Wow, I am pretty happy with myself. I don't mean
>>> to brag, but I have only been playing Nethack
>>> for about a week and a half now. In fact, I only
>>> have around 50 characters on my highscore list.
>>> Yeah, I was spoiled to death, but it was still
>>> pretty hard, and was not without a few huge
>>> mistakes and close calls.

>> If you've ascended after a week and a half you've
>> got every right to brag! My hat's off to you.

> I haven't ascended in a *decade* and a half, and I
> can hardly imagine more than twenty people more
> heavily spoiled than I am...

Here either, in a decade and a half, though I'm
probably only about 30% spoiled so far.

If I hadn't sworn off suicide as a hobby, hearing
about someone with a mutant personality permitting
careful play ascending after a week and a half sure
would be a tempting trigger for it.

xanthian.

Don't you just hate "do what I tell you" software?

Wes Irby

Sep 1, 2004, 2:23:50 PM9/1/04
Stabwound wrote:

> Wow, I am pretty happy with myself. I don't mean to brag, but I have only
> been playing Nethack for about a week and a half now.

Impressive! I've ascended about a dozen times, but an
ascension takes me longer than a week and a half even now.

> At that point, I was talking in the #nethack channel about not having very
> much AC. From there they told me that I could try to find Fort Ludios and
> that it had a ton of money and was a good place to get equipment. I set off,
> searching on dlevel 11. I found the portal to Ludios on dlevel 12, and
> cleared it easily, racking up a good 40,000 zorkmids I believe. I bought as
> much bonus AC protection as I could from that, and wasted about 15,000
> trying to get 1 last bonus point that I never got.

I don't even try to go beyond 9 points until I'm done with
Gehennom. AC -20 is plenty for Gehennom but I prefer
somethig less than -30 for the astral planes.

> I took almost all of the helmets and went to my altar and b/u/c checked
> them, and tried them on, since I really needed a better helmet. I found a +3
> helmet in there, and it was the helmet I used for the rest of the game (I
> enchanted it once after). Then on this newsgroup I saw people talking about
> polypiling, and I thought it would be a good idea to polypile a ton of armor
> from Ludios to try to get something good. I spent about an hour or so taking
> a ton of armor and equipment to my base/altar (don't ask me why). After
> polypiling everything about 5 times, I was very disappointed that I really
> didn't find anything good. I did manage to get an Hawaiian shirt and an
> oilskin cloak that I used for the rest of the game (more on the Hawaiian
> shirt later).

It is most unusual to get magical armor from regular armor.
If you want something like a [oMR you need to polypile items
that have some magical property, elven cloaks and boots are
probably the most common.

> I hit Juiblex where I had an extremely close
> call. He immediately devoured and Sickened me and I was starting to panic. I
> hit him a few times and he died, then I tried to #pray to get the sickness
> away. Mistake. I angered my god, lost all my bought protection, and to top
> it off I had a summoned demon beside me and I was Sick. I did a level
> teleport to my stash on dlevel 14. In desperation I tried to #pray again,
> and it worked.

I wouldn't have thought this possible. I thought a side
effect of angering your god was that he would ignore your
prayers until he was mollified through sacrifice.

I'm sure by now you've discovered better ways to cure
sickness! :)

> Vlay the Heroine St:25 Dx:18 Co:18 In:10 Wi:17 Ch:15 Lawful
> Astral Plane $:1337 HP:212(339) Pw:87(87) AC:-42 Xp:24/40157191 T:77746
>

> Armor

> B - a blessed +4 pair of gauntlets of power (being worn)
> F - an uncursed greased +4 helmet (being worn)
> G - a blessed greased +4 gray dragon scale mail (being worn)
> K - an uncursed greased fireproof +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)
> Q - an uncursed +2 Hawaiian shirt (being worn)
> U - an uncursed fireproof +5 oilskin cloak (being worn)
> V - a cursed greased +4 shield of reflection (being worn) //from the
> Persius statue

Looks like you got back 10 or so intrinsic protection.

> Comestibles

> T - an uncursed magic whistle //thought it might be useful for the
> Guardian Angel; it wasn't

Why not? I mean, I know the angel isn't a big help but the
whistle should work on him unless you entered astral wearing
a =oConflict.

> Contents of the bag of holding named bag of holding:

> a cursed amulet of strangulation

> a cursed amulet of strangulation

Why did you have these?

> 2 uncursed potions of water
> 2 potions of holy water

Cutting it a bit close, and I didn't notice any ?oRC. You
were one curse away from serious trouble. (The shield was
cursed and Mojo uncursed.)

> a wand of digging (0:4) \\
> a wand of digging (0:5) \\
> a wand of digging (0:0) \\ didn't know how many charges, took them all
> for Earth Plains
> a wand of digging (0:5) //
> a wand of digging (0:7) //
> a wand of digging (0:6) //
> a wand of digging (0:1) //

I don't think I've ever needed more than two well charged
wands for Earth.

> Final attributes

> Your life would have been saved
> You were extremely lucky (12)
> You had extra luck
> Good luck did not time out for you
> You survived

Never used one of those "oLS either! It seems this list
should tell whether you could have safely prayed.

> Your skills at the end
> Fighting Skills
> bare handed combat [Basic]
> Weapon Skills
> dagger [Basic]
> pick-axe [Skilled]
> long sword [Expert]
> saber [Basic]
> hammer [Expert]
> Spellcasting Skills
> (none)

Why advance pick axe?

> and 1337 pieces of gold, after 77746 moves. //1337 gold. LEET!

LEET?

Congrats again!
--
Wes
The early bird may get the worm,

Stabwound

Sep 1, 2004, 3:59:21 PM9/1/04

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in message

> Alexis wrote:
> > exh...@REMOVE-THISgmailDELETE-THIS.com wrote:
>
> >> Wow, I am pretty happy with myself. I don't mean to brag, but I have
> >> only been playing Nethack for about a week and a half now. In fact,
> >> I only have around 50 characters on my highscore list. Yeah, I was
> >> spoiled to death, but it was still pretty hard, and was not without
> >> a few huge mistakes and close calls.
>
> > If you've ascended after a week and a half you've got every right to
> > brag! My hat's off to you.
>
> I haven't ascended in a *decade* and a half, and I can hardly imagine
> more than twenty people more heavily spoiled than I am...

I made sure that I wasn't going to die in a stupid way or in a way that is
unavoidable if you don't know what is going to happen in the game. IMO, the
later part of the game is impossible without prior knowledge or spoilers.

Message has been deleted

lmfback

Sep 2, 2004, 3:06:14 AM9/2/04
In article <ch4i7l$c0m$1...@news5.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>,
kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl says...

> Alexis wrote:
>
> > If you've ascended after a week and a half you've got every right to
> > brag! My hat's off to you.
>
> I haven't ascended in a *decade* and a half, and I can hardly imagine
> more than twenty people more heavily spoiled than I am...

Must be all the time you lurk in here... Now, use the keyboard
constructively for once, *play* a game of nethack ;-)

Eskimo

--
//------------------------------
//Remove tämä all the way to and including soomee to mail directly.

BELANGER

Sep 2, 2004, 3:23:55 AM9/2/04
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:06:14 +0300, lmfback
<peter.backgren@tämä.on.soomee.ericsson.com> wrote:

> Now, use the keyboard
>constructively for once, *play* a game of nethack ;-)

ahahahahaahahaha.

ahhAhahAHAHHAhahAha.

BWAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAA!

ha.

Boudewijn Waijers

Sep 2, 2004, 5:47:59 AM9/2/04
lmfback wrote:
> kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl says...

>> I haven't ascended in a *decade* and a half, and I can hardly imagine
>> more than twenty people more heavily spoiled than I am...

> Must be all the time you lurk in here... Now, use the keyboard
> constructively for once, *play* a game of nethack ;-)

Hey, I'm no lurker! I post daily, several times.

A "lurker" only reads rec.games.roguelike.nethack or other newsgroups,
but doesn't post himself.

And, for your information, I've currently three games going on:

Keesje is a 18th level archeologist, currently half way through
Gehennom. He's beaten Juiblex and that next demon already.

Finally, Adje is a level 11 monk, Grand Master in martial arts, but
without any other skills. He's still vegetarian, has never hit with a
wielded weapon, hasn't genocided any monsters yet, has never polypiled,
and is still wishless. In other words, he's boring, and has major
troubles killing things. :-)
I'm not sure what to do with him, but I *would* like to keep these
conducts, even if monks aren't really the best class to start trying
conducts...

Pietje is a dumb samurai who's stuck at Medusa. He has every type of
boots except for levitation, and hasn't recognised the scroll of
identify yet - no general or book stores in this game. I know I can just
dig down, but I want a sure way back. He's just level 13, after all. O,
and she's not a he anymore, after that little amulet accident.
Hmmm. I have an uncursed potion of gain level in my level 16 stash.
Let's do the quest first, you never know what you'll find.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (bwaijers at home.nl).

If you'll a willing ear incline,
what's mine is yours
and what is yours is mine. - Shakespeare, measure for measure.

Tommi Syrjanen

Sep 2, 2004, 7:01:16 AM9/2/04
"Boudewijn Waijers" <kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

> Pietje is a dumb samurai who's stuck at Medusa. He has every type of
> boots except for levitation, and hasn't recognised the scroll of
> identify yet - no general or book stores in this game. I know I can just
> dig down, but I want a sure way back. He's just level 13, after all.

If you really have all boots except levitation ones, you do have a
sure way over the water. And if even if you don't, you have a sure way
back if you are not playing wishless and have either an instrument or
a scroll of earth.

Raisse the Thaumaturge

Sep 2, 2004, 7:15:35 AM9/2/04
On Thursday 02 September 2004 13:01 Tommi Syrjanen
(tommi.s...@enough.spam.hut.fi) wrote:

> If you really have all boots except levitation ones, you do have a
> sure way over the water. And if even if you don't, you have a sure way
> back if you are not playing wishless and have either an instrument or
> a scroll of earth.

Or a wand of opening.

Raisse, killed by a falling drawbridge

--
ir...@valdyas.org    LegoHack: http://www.valdyas.org/irina/nethack/
Status of Raisse (piously neutral):  Level 8  HP 63(67)  AC -3, fast.

Boudewijn Waijers

Sep 2, 2004, 8:15:13 AM9/2/04

I realised that half an hour before you posted it, and have by now
tested my non-identified boots in one of the pools in the titan's room.
I already had identified fumble, speed, jumping and elven, and after
sinking with what must by elimination be kicking, the last remaining
pair was indeed what I was looking for. I had already brought my useless
potions with me, so I now have lots of holy water as well (I had only
one potion of holy water, plus lots of unholy from various bones
levels).

Also, I now have cursed boots of levitation as well, courtesy a certain
Greek's statue.

Boudewijn Waijers

Sep 2, 2004, 8:18:58 AM9/2/04
Tommi Syrjanen wrote:

> [...] And if even if you don't, you have a sure way

> back if you are not playing wishless and have either
> an instrument or a scroll of earth.

Voluntary challenges:

You have never genocided any monsters.
You have never polymorphed an object.
You have used no wishes.

This is by accident, by the way. If I would get a genocide or wish from
a throne or potion, I wouldn't decline. I won't use a wand, lamp or
scroll though.

It's my personal way of playing geno-, poly- and wishless: don't
actively persue them, let them come by accident or stay away.

lmfback

Sep 2, 2004, 9:39:09 AM9/2/04
In article <ch6q8t$7vi$1...@news2.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>,
kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl says...

> lmfback wrote:
> > kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl says...
>
> >> I haven't ascended in a *decade* and a half, and I can hardly imagine
> >> more than twenty people more heavily spoiled than I am...
>
> > Must be all the time you lurk in here... Now, use the keyboard
> > constructively for once, *play* a game of nethack ;-)
>
> Hey, I'm no lurker! I post daily, several times.

Replace several with umpteen to be more accurate (and don't stop
posting either).

> A "lurker" only reads rec.games.roguelike.nethack or other newsgroups,
> but doesn't post himself.

I *knew* I should have specified "lurking for about 4 seconds before
doing a YAFU" (Yet Another Follow-Up in this case - better specify this
so you don't figure out some nasty word for the "U" ;-). Anyway,
calling you a lurker was funny on it's own (to me).

> And, for your information, I've currently three games going on:

And they don't sound too bad either. Hmm, I wonder if you were the one
saying "I quit my deep Gehennom charcters as the game gets boring
then". Probably not. Too lazy to google and check it out. Boy, I've
been reading rgrn too long myself.

Tommi Syrjanen

Sep 2, 2004, 10:09:59 AM9/2/04
"Boudewijn Waijers" <kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

> It's my personal way of playing geno-, poly- and wishless: don't
> actively persue them, let them come by accident or stay away.

I usually actively stay genoless (except when I want to do some
excessive statue-making), passively stay polyless (I polypile only if
I *really* need something and have no convenient way of obtaining it
otherwise), but I almost always use at least a couple of wishes from
the castle wand.

This because Gehennom is so horribly boring without magic mapping, and
for most of the roles the easiest way to get it is to wish for a
couple of blessed magic markers.

Boudewijn Waijers

Sep 2, 2004, 1:38:51 PM9/2/04
lmfback wrote:

> I *knew* I should have specified "lurking for about 4 seconds before
> doing a YAFU" (Yet Another Follow-Up in this case - better specify
> this so you don't figure out some nasty word for the "U" ;-).

>> And, for your information, I've currently three games going on:

> And they don't sound too bad either. Hmm, I wonder if you were the one
> saying "I quit my deep Gehennom charcters as the game gets boring
> then". Probably not. Too lazy to google and check it out. Boy, I've
> been reading rgrn too long myself.

Yes I was, you're correct in that. Here's my list of savefiles in the
NetHack playground:

02-09-2004 11.46 198.035 BWaijers-Adje.NetHack-saved-game
02-09-2004 14.53 317.554 BWaijers-Pietje.NetHack-saved-game
02-09-2004 11.38 545.669 BWaijers-Keesje.NetHack-saved-game

And in my "Suspended" directory:

22-10-2003 15.50 371.220 BWaijers-Alfred.NetHack-saved-game
22-10-2003 15.50 255.546 BWaijers-Boudewijn.NetHack-saved-game
22-10-2003 15.51 372.431 BWaijers-Hans.NetHack-saved-game
22-10-2003 15.52 74.533 BWaijers-Hilde.NetHack-saved-game
21-12-2003 22.35 182.055 BWaijers-Kroisos.NetHack-saved-game
22-10-2003 15.53 520.811 BWaijers-KroisosX.NetHack-saved-game
14-04-2004 02.11 620.261 BWaijers-KroisosXX.NetHack-saved-game
11-12-2003 17.17 489.565 BWaijers-KroisosXXX.NetHack-saved-game
22-10-2003 15.54 455.901 BWaijers-Ruurd.NetHack-saved-game

Sometimes I suspend a character, but I also like to play the next
character with the same name, therefore I move them to another
directory.

The first thing I usually do when I resurrect a suspended character, is
move all the way back to level 1 to determine where the special levels
are, where my stash is, etc...

If some files have about the same save time, it's because I temporarily
reopened them to see what character (class, level, etc) they are.

Happy hacking!

Wes Irby

Sep 2, 2004, 2:18:15 PM9/2/04
Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Tommi Syrjanen wrote:
> > "Boudewijn Waijers" <kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
>
> >> Pietje is a dumb samurai who's stuck at Medusa. He has every type of
> >> boots except for levitation.

> > If you really have all boots except levitation ones, you do have a
> > sure way over the water.

> I realised that half an hour before you posted it, and have by now

> tested my non-identified boots in one of the pools in the titan's room.
> I already had identified fumble, speed, jumping and elven, and after
> sinking with what must by elimination be kicking, the last remaining
> pair was indeed what I was looking for.

I've seen posts claiming jumping boots will always get you
across. I've done it several times but always with an assist
from the boulders on the level and/or my pick ax.

You can ID kicking boots by checking your spell casting
success rate before and after.

Stabwound

Sep 2, 2004, 5:33:08 PM9/2/04

"Jukka Lahtinen" <juk...@despammed.com> wrote in message

> "Stabwound" <exh...@REMOVE-THISgmailDELETE-THIS.com> writes:
>
> > I made sure that I wasn't going to die in a stupid way or in a way that
is
> > unavoidable if you don't know what is going to happen in the game. IMO,
the

> Err.. you don't mean cheating with save files, do you?

Of course not. I mean, checking spoilers and maps for every new part I was
going into.

Kevin Wayne

Sep 3, 2004, 12:03:20 AM9/3/04
Quoth Boudewijn Waijers in the annals of
<ch6q8t$7vi$1...@news2.tilbu1.nb.home.nl> ...

> Finally, Adje is a level 11 monk, Grand Master in martial arts, but
> without any other skills. He's still vegetarian, has never hit with a
> wielded weapon, hasn't genocided any monsters yet, has never polypiled,
> and is still wishless. In other words, he's boring, and has major
> troubles killing things. :-)

That's an interesting remark, considering that the "solution" many people
have for the boringness of Gehennom is to toughen up the monsters in some
way so that killing things is harder.

Message has been deleted

David Damerell

Sep 3, 2004, 4:37:49 AM9/3/04
Kevin Wayne <killed...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Quoth Boudewijn Waijers in the annals of
>>Finally, Adje is a level 11 monk, Grand Master in martial arts, but
>>without any other skills. He's still vegetarian, has never hit with a
>>wielded weapon,
>That's an interesting remark, considering that the "solution" many people
>have for the boringness of Gehennom is to toughen up the monsters in some
>way so that killing things is harder.

I don't think an adjustment to difficulty for regular play should worry
too much about rendering conducts more difficult. Conducts are hard,
that's life.

If Boudewijn's Monk wants to pick up Grayswandir and start bashing away
there is nothing stopping that.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?

Boudewijn Waijers

Sep 3, 2004, 4:48:35 AM9/3/04
Wes Irby wrote:

> You can ID kicking boots by checking your spell casting
> success rate before and after.

What I tried was kicking a broadsword across a room with and without the
boots on, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

In hindsight, it might have been the gauntlets of power I was wearing at
the time that caused that.

lmfback

Sep 3, 2004, 4:45:21 AM9/3/04
In article <yrj656v...@despammed.com>, juk...@despammed.com
says...

> (I was once killed by Pestilence on my own god's high altar, naked and
> without inventory, the Amulet and all my possessions on the altar at my
> feet. I was trying the stupid ascension trick of getting an ice box with
> me to the demigod bar at my first 3.4.3 ascension. (Which I did some time
> later, in another game..))

<shiver>
Image of a naked Jukka standing on an altar with a bottle of booze in
each hand and an amulet around his neck...
</shiver>

Side note:I've seen Jukka about 15-20 years ago when he was in his
early nethack days ;-)

Message has been deleted

David Damerell

Sep 3, 2004, 7:46:05 AM9/3/04
Boudewijn Waijers <kro...@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>What I tried was kicking a broadsword across a room with and without the
>boots on, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

That's because you were a samurai. Either kicking boots or being a monk,
samurai or sasquatch extends the range of kicking by 1-3 spaces, but this
is a single bonus; so other people can _always_ so identify kicking boots,
but people in those categories can never do so.

Kevin Wayne

Sep 4, 2004, 11:52:39 PM9/4/04
Quoth David Damerell in the annals of
<fne*xT...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> ...
I can't for the life of me figure out what it is you think you're
responding to. For one thing, you snipped the actual "interesting remark"
that *I* was responding to. Here it is:

> >> In other words, he's boring, and has major
> >> troubles killing things. :-)

My point had nothing to do with conducts, other than the fact that
Boudewijn's Monk's conduct has an effect ("major troubles killing
things") that is similar to some proposed solutions to the "Gehennom is
boring" problem, but with a result ("he's boring") that is the opposite
of the intended effect of these solutions.

In other words, I'm suggesting that simply making it harder to kill
monsters will not make Gehennom more interesting.

Richard Bos

Sep 7, 2004, 5:26:45 PM9/7/04
Kevin Wayne <killed...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My point had nothing to do with conducts, other than the fact that
> Boudewijn's Monk's conduct has an effect ("major troubles killing
> things") that is similar to some proposed solutions to the "Gehennom is
> boring" problem, but with a result ("he's boring") that is the opposite
> of the intended effect of these solutions.
>
> In other words, I'm suggesting that simply making it harder to kill
> monsters will not make Gehennom more interesting.

Ah, but that's from one extreme into the other. Gehennom (so people say)
is boring because killing monsters is (almost completely) no trouble;
Boudewijn's monk is boring because killing monsters is very difficult;
what most people want is to have _some_ problems killing monsters, but
not so many that they spend half the game trying to recover from killing
a single beast.
Not that I disagree with your suggestion, mind you. But I agree because
I think the ease of killing monsters is not what makes Gehennom
repetitive and boring, not because I think it follows from Boudewijn's
monk.

Richard

David Damerell

Sep 20, 2004, 1:24:20 PM9/20/04
Kevin Wayne <killed...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>In other words, I'm suggesting that simply making it harder to kill
>monsters will not make Gehennom more interesting.

I see what you meant now.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!

Benjamin Lewis

Sep 20, 2004, 1:44:01 PM9/20/04
Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Pietje is a dumb samurai who's stuck at Medusa. He has every type of
> boots except for levitation, and hasn't recognised the scroll of
> identify yet - no general or book stores in this game.

I realize this is a fairly old post now, but anyway:

Why not drop water damage-able items and just test out all your boots for
water walking?

--
Benjamin Lewis

I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in cases of
oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate
commerce. -- J. Edgar Hoover