YAAP - Olorin - Tou - Zen conduct

Wilko Frieke

Apr 13, 2004, 5:24:00 PM4/13/04
After completing my almost Zen samurai I decided to play another Zen
character. This time it was going to be a tourist. Getting a tourist
with a towel was one of the harder parts. In the logfile there are 444
entries for Tou Hum Fem Neu Olorin and only 11 are not a quitter. The
first try went very well but ended in a very stupid death I don't want
to remember.
Since I played the samurai as an illiterate the tourist wasn't really
hard. You start with 4 scrolls of magic mapping, some food and a bunch
of +2 darts and 2 potions of extra healing for emergencies. First thing
I did was leave my pet asap and go down to level 3. I threw my darts at
anything that moved and hoped to pickup a floating eye corpse. As soon
as telepathy was acquired a went back to pick up my pet. On level three
there was an coaligned altar and a general store. This helped things a
lot so this is where I set up my base camp.
In mine town I found a magic lamp and the resulting wish was for a +2
SDSM. I considered reflection much more important than MR at the early
stage. A touch of death using monster is not very likely and a polytrap
is also not a big issue when wearing dragon scale mail. If female it's
even a great chance to get some cool pets.
I had already switched from darts to daggers, but the offering didn't
give me a lot. Only Cleaver in fact, while I was hoping to get
Magicbane. I progressed slowly, found several nicely enchanted pieces
of armor. A +5 dwarvish cloak which I lost in a trap. The oracle level
happened to be a bones level. There were two cloaks, both the same
price. But with the help of a shopkeeper who suddenly wouldn't let me
out of his shop anymore and some holy water I could safely tell which
one did what. I still hadn't found a single scroll of identify by the
way.
With reflection, MR and a silver dragon as pet the midgame was rather
straightforward. The Quest was easy, Medusa I hardly noticed but the
Titan was a bit tougher. In the Castle I lost my dragon and never got a
new pet. The Valley of the Dead was a surprise. After I spent quiet
some moves already I realized something was wrong. The graveyards were
already disturbed and the one closest to the upstairs contained no
monsters at all. This had to be a bones file. After a while a found the
grave a Whmm who choked on a wraith corpse.
He had been very nice and had not only dropped a now cursed bag of
holding but also a sack containing !oW, !oFH, a ?oRC (all blessed I
presume), and a /oC. So no back trip required to loot the BoH. This
bones gave me some nice armor such a speed boots, Magicbane, Mjollnir,
a Wow and the Eye of Aethiopica, so now my ascension kit was complete.
This time I was not in the mood for stupid accidents so I genocided R,
L, h, ; and m (for the shops in Orcus town) On the Juiblex level was
really careless and fell in the water three times. This was because I
had first mapped the level and drank a !oOD afterwards. Next time I
should do this the other way around. Or will items underwater still be
shown? Anyway, this cost me 6?oMM which I could easily rewrite. Plenty
of blank paper.
The next noteworthy thing happened when going back up with the amulet.
In the late Asmodeus lair a lowly devil summoned Yeenoghu. He wasn't a
real problem but I lost a life because a incubus took my cloak which I
forgot to wear again, I was wielding a silver saber and not Magicbane
and the PYEC was in my bag. So no more MR. That could have been a major
stupid death.
On the Astral Plane there were lots of giants with boulders. They came
in very handy for blocking out the riders. The second altar was the one
to The Lady.
No other conducts than being blind the whole game.

--
Wilko

Eric Wright

Apr 14, 2004, 8:29:11 AM4/14/04
"Wilko Frieke" <wilko....@nospam.wanadoo.nl> wrote in message news:<c5hm84$gfl$1...@reader10.wxs.nl>...

OK, I have to ask... if you didn't start with a scroll of identify,
how did you identify the other items (like the scroll of remove curse,
scrolls of genocide, etc.?) Did you get a lucky identify while
sitting on a throne? I can't think of another way to identify a
scroll or spellbook of identify without actually seeing it. Yes,
there's price id, but you still can't read that scroll of VENZAAR
BORGAVVE (20) without being able to see it.

--
E... They say that you cannot trust scrolls of rumor.

Seraphim

Apr 14, 2004, 3:12:55 PM4/14/04
ewr...@nc.rr.com (Eric Wright) wrote in

> [Iding stuff in Zen YAAP]

> Yes, there's price id, but you still can't read that scroll of VENZAAR
> BORGAVVE (20) without being able to see it.

Why not?
Have you ever tried buying a scroll while blind?

Matt Poxson

Apr 14, 2004, 7:01:39 PM4/14/04
Wilko Frieke wrote:
> After completing my almost Zen samurai I decided to play another Zen
> character.

So I just have to ask... how do you play a Zen conduct Character?

--
~ Matthew M Poxson ~
17446 Mumon-Mon-Hum-Mal-Law died in The Gnomish Mines on level 7

Daniel W. Johnson

Apr 14, 2004, 8:20:34 PM4/14/04
Matt Poxson <pox...@comcast.net> wrote:

> So I just have to ask... how do you play a Zen conduct Character?

Blind (except when reading the Book of the Dead). Starting with a
blindfold or towel is required.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
pano...@iquest.net

Eric Wright

Apr 15, 2004, 8:13:10 AM4/15/04
Seraphim <gm...@cornell.edu> wrote in message news:<Xns94CB9AE017F4...@132.236.56.8>...

Interesting... I always thought this was a big impediment to playing
zen characters, but apparently not!

--
E... They say that only an experienced wizard can do the tengu
shuffle.