iphone app subsidy?

nadabrain

Oct 6, 2008, 12:11:07 PM10/6/08
Anyone willing to help subsidize the cost of an iPhone nethack? I'd
be willing to throw in some money for an app...

Martin Read

Oct 6, 2008, 1:54:18 PM10/6/08
nadabrain <fae...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Anyone willing to help subsidize the cost of an iPhone nethack? I'd
>be willing to throw in some money for an app...

I do not believe that it is possible to comply simultaneously with the
licence terms required to get Apple to let you put the app on the store
*and* with the licence terms required in order to lawfully distribute
Nethack binaries.
--
\_\/_/ turbulence is certainty turbulence is friction between you and me
\ / every time we try to impose order we create chaos

rpresser

Oct 6, 2008, 2:23:48 PM10/6/08
On Oct 6, 12:11 pm, nadabrain <faeh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone willing to help subsidize the cost of an iPhone nethack?
> I'd be willing to throw in some money for an app...

Aren't there several ssh apps for the iPhone? Just use one to
get to NAO.

Gregory Weston

Oct 6, 2008, 2:35:34 PM10/6/08
In article <I5B*Yq...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Martin Read <mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> nadabrain <fae...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Anyone willing to help subsidize the cost of an iPhone nethack? I'd
> >be willing to throw in some money for an app...
>
> I do not believe that it is possible to comply simultaneously with the
> licence terms required to get Apple to let you put the app on the store
> *and* with the licence terms required in order to lawfully distribute
> Nethack binaries.

On a (very) cursory skim, I don't see any problem with it. I just have a
really tough time seeing a 4.5" 480x320 touchscreen as a viable input
device for NetHack.

--
"Harry?" Ron's voice was a mere whisper. "Do you smell something ... burning?"
- Harry Potter and the Odor of the Phoenix

Jared

Oct 6, 2008, 4:16:32 PM10/6/08
On Oct 6, 2:35 pm, Gregory Weston <u...@splook.com> wrote:
> In article <I5B*Yq...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
> Martin Read <mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > nadabrain <faeh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >Anyone willing to help subsidize the cost of an iPhone nethack? I'd
> > >be willing to throw in some money for an app...
>
> > I do not believe that it is possible to comply simultaneously with the
> > licence terms required to get Apple to let you put the app on the store
> > *and* with the licence terms required in order to lawfully distribute
> > Nethack binaries.
>
> On a (very) cursory skim, I don't see any problem with it. I just have a
> really tough time seeing a 4.5" 480x320 touchscreen as a viable input
> device for NetHack.
>
> --
> "Harry?" Ron's voice was a mere whisper. "Do you smell something ... burning?"
> - Harry Potter and the Odor of the Phoenix

isnt the whole point of nethack to use the whole keyboard for
everything... doesn't seem consistent with the iPhone UI (I own a 3g)

-Jared

Kristoffer Björkman

Oct 7, 2008, 2:58:22 PM10/7/08
In article <uce-F3E3AD.1...@newsclstr03.news.prodigy.net>,
Gregory Weston says...

> In article <I5B*Yq...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
> Martin Read <mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > nadabrain <fae...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >Anyone willing to help subsidize the cost of an iPhone nethack? I'd
> > >be willing to throw in some money for an app...
> > I do not believe that it is possible to comply simultaneously with the
> > licence terms required to get Apple to let you put the app on the store
> > *and* with the licence terms required in order to lawfully distribute
> > Nethack binaries.
> On a (very) cursory skim, I don't see any problem with it. I just have a
> really tough time seeing a 4.5" 480x320 touchscreen as a viable input
> device for NetHack.

The Nintendo DS port of Nethack seems quite popular and has worked
around the limitations of that device, which AFAIU are similarish to the
iPhone (I have never used the latter) - 256x192 (3") x2 touchscreen and
a very limited number of buttons.
(Alas, after some googling it seems to me that the iPhone screen size is
only 3.5", not 4.5"?)

//

--
This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
Rngvat n serrmvat fcurer vf yvxr rngvat n lrgv.

Gregory Weston

Oct 7, 2008, 3:10:51 PM10/7/08
In article <MPG.2355cfbc9...@130.133.1.4>,
Kristoffer Björkman <kristoffe...@frontnet.org> wrote:

Correct; I typo'd.

Also, in contrast to the DS, the iPhone has no useful inputs other than
the screen and doesn't respond to a stylus (which makes small targets
much more troublesome).

Friedrich

Oct 7, 2008, 3:15:03 PM10/7/08
well the problem is that the size of iphone/ipod console doesn't quite
comply to the standart that nethack uses 80x24 which leads to a very
very broken game experience. Especially because the keyboard takes half
of the screen.

Everytime you rotate or pop up the software keyboard the screen gets
torn apart and you would actually have to redraw the screen. Plus if the
keyboard is up, the screen that is left is for the game is around 8-16
lines, which isn't really enough for nethacks 80x24
So everytime you want to see something you have to get rid of the
keyboard, but then you can't move around...

http://slashem.airmack.de/pics/SANY0002.JPG
http://slashem.airmack.de/pics/SANY0005.JPG
http://slashem.airmack.de/pics/SANY0007.JPG

It looks playable, but isn't! Don't even try to play it. It's not worth it.

Regards Friedrich

rpresser

Oct 7, 2008, 4:15:34 PM10/7/08
On Oct 7, 3:15 pm, Friedrich <suckme2...@gmx.de> wrote:
> torn apart and you would actually have to redraw the screen. Plus if the
> keyboard is up, the screen that is left is for the game is around 8-16
> lines, which isn't really enough for nethacks 80x24

Nethack automatically adjusts to screens smaller than 80x24, panning
the dungeon as necessary. Just set ROWS=16 in the unix shell before
running. Then you can leave the keyboard open.

Not having a physical keyboard is a greater handicap than the small
screen. I regularly play via ssh through my Treo 755p, which does have
a supersmall font to give me the full board, but also works well in a
more reasonable sized font using a reduced screen of about 40x12. But
the Treo has a full (physical) qwerty keyboard.

Patric Mueller

Oct 8, 2008, 3:05:14 AM10/8/08
Friedrich <suckm...@gmx.de> wrote:

> It looks playable, but isn't! Don't even try to play it. It's not worth it.

OTOH *watching* a game of NetHack on the iPhone is no problem.

Download one of the free telnet programs from the appstore, telnet to
your favorite NetHack server and watch the games in progress.

Bye
Patric

--
NetHack-De: NetHack auf Deutsch - http://nethack-de.sourceforge.net/