New way to escape a giant eel

Wilko Frieke

Sep 6, 2006, 4:14:31 PM9/6/06
Today I escaped a giant eel that just grabbed me in completely new way.
After the eel swung itself around me I considered my options. I was on the
Medusa level and I also didn't have a wand of tele in my inventory.
Furthermore I was levitating at the moment and wasn't sure if I could
engrave succesfully while in the air (turns out you can). I guessed my speed
was sufficient to get an extra move after removing my ring and then write
the E-word. So that was what I did. I took of my ring of levitation. And
then it happened: You float gently to the floor. -- More -- Startled, the
giant eel can no longer hold you!

So even after 20 years of Nethack you run into new things.

Wilko

Matt Frisch

Sep 6, 2006, 5:06:11 PM9/6/06
On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 22:14:31 +0200, "Wilko Frieke" <w...@wanadoo.nl> scribed
into the ether:

Since most of the time you are going to be levitating when fighting an eel,
that's actually quite handy. New tricks ftw!

chuckcar

Sep 6, 2006, 9:25:32 PM9/6/06
"Wilko Frieke" <w...@wanadoo.nl> wrote in

Somebody fouled up in coding. You're levitating over water, the eel
grabs you, you drop (*into* the water one would assume) and the eel
can't hold on? always complications to code you don't dream of. Good
one.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Time Carrot

Sep 6, 2006, 10:10:08 PM9/6/06
Clearly Wilko was NOT levitating over water, since the first post
talked about hoping to engrave and about floating gently to the floor.
Also, as you point out, your interpretation makes no sense whatsoever.

Matt Frisch

Sep 6, 2006, 10:47:48 PM9/6/06
On 7 Sep 2006 03:25:32 +0200, chuckcar <ch...@nil.car> scribed into the
ether:

>"Wilko Frieke" <w...@wanadoo.nl> wrote in
>
>> Today I escaped a giant eel that just grabbed me in completely new
>> way. After the eel swung itself around me I considered my options. I
>> was on the Medusa level and I also didn't have a wand of tele in my
>> inventory. Furthermore I was levitating at the moment and wasn't sure
>> if I could engrave succesfully while in the air (turns out you can). I
>> guessed my speed was sufficient to get an extra move after removing my
>> ring and then write the E-word. So that was what I did. I took of my
>> ring of levitation. And then it happened: You float gently to the
>> floor. -- More -- Startled, the giant eel can no longer hold you!
>>
>> So even after 20 years of Nethack you run into new things.
>>

>Somebody fouled up in coding. You're levitating over water, the eel
>grabs you, you drop (*into* the water one would assume) and the eel
>can't hold on? always complications to code you don't dream of. Good
>one.

Why are you still posting here? You have clearly demonstrated that you
don't even understand the game you keep telling other people to do research
on while you spout your incorrect assertions. Now you can't even summon up
basic reading comprehension.

Maybe you should just lurk for the next...decade. Everyone on earth will be
better for it.

Janis Papanagnou

Sep 6, 2006, 11:18:06 PM9/6/06
Matt Frisch wrote:
> On 7 Sep 2006 03:25:32 +0200, chuckcar <ch...@nil.car> scribed into the
> ether:
>
>> [something]

> Why are you still posting here? You have clearly demonstrated that you
> don't even understand the game you keep telling other people to do research
> on while you spout your incorrect assertions. Now you can't even summon up
> basic reading comprehension.
>
> Maybe you should just lurk for the next...decade. Everyone on earth will be
> better for it.

Chuck may as well post to Usenet as other people. You have the freedom
to suppress his postings for yourself by using a Real Newsreader and
killfiles. Others may also not want to read chuck's postings and have
done so; but your replies to his postings make his outpourings public
again.

Janis

chuckcar

Sep 6, 2006, 11:19:33 PM9/6/06
Matt Frisch <matu...@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

> Why are you still posting here? You have clearly demonstrated that you
> don't even understand the game you keep telling other people to do
> research on while you spout your incorrect assertions. Now you can't
> even summon up basic reading comprehension.
>
> Maybe you should just lurk for the next...decade. Everyone on earth
> will be better for it.

Welcome to troll-land kiddie. You usefullness here has ended.

chuckcar

Sep 6, 2006, 11:20:06 PM9/6/06
"Time Carrot" <ravenh...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Then where did the eel grab him from?

Lars Kecke

Sep 7, 2006, 3:45:32 AM9/7/06
chuckcar wrote:
> "Time Carrot" <ravenh...@hotmail.com> wrote in

>> Clearly Wilko was NOT levitating over water, since the first post

>> talked about hoping to engrave and about floating gently to the floor.
>> Also, as you point out, your interpretation makes no sense whatsoever.
>>
> Then where did the eel grab him from?

The eel was in the water, Wilko was levitationg over land.

Lars

chuckcar

Sep 7, 2006, 10:02:17 AM9/7/06
Lars Kecke <lars...@gmail.com> wrote in

Right. And the eel would be pulling him into the water. If he started in
the water, he would levitate over the water, take off his ring and then
drop into the water. If he was over land, the eel would pull him towards
the water, he takes off his ring and he's in the water. Where does he
loose the eel? BTW you probably can engrage under water - I went into
the first "room" from the initial big area in Ludios once by walking
under water (didn't have a way to open the drawbridge).

cor...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2006, 10:49:55 AM9/7/06

Do correct me if I'm wrong (fairly new; may well be), but I assume it
would take the eel two turns to get you into the water - one turn to
wrap, one turn to drag. So the eel grabs the poster, the poster removes
his ring before the eel has its next turn and instantly floats to the
ground, shocking the eel into letting go, and the eel never gets its
second turn to pull the poster into the water.

Rachel Elizabeth Dillon

Sep 7, 2006, 10:53:03 AM9/7/06
On 2006-09-07, chuckcar <ch...@nil.car> wrote:
> Lars Kecke <lars...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> chuckcar wrote:
>>> "Time Carrot" <ravenh...@hotmail.com> wrote in

>>> Then where did the eel grab him from?
>>
>> The eel was in the water, Wilko was levitationg over land.
>
> Right. And the eel would be pulling him into the water. If he started in
> the water, he would levitate over the water, take off his ring and then
> drop into the water. If he was over land, the eel would pull him towards
> the water, he takes off his ring and he's in the water. Where does he
> loose the eel? BTW you probably can engrage under water - I went into
> the first "room" from the initial big area in Ludios once by walking
> under water (didn't have a way to open the drawbridge).

There is a turn (usually only one, this can be affected by things that
affect speed) between being grabbed by an eel and being pulled into the
water. So on the first turn, it looked like this:

...{{{
player over land: ..@;{{ :eel in water

with the player levitating and not grabbed by the eel. On the second turn,
"The giant eels wraps itself around you!" The map still looks like this:

...{{{
player over land: ..@;{{ :eel in water

On turn three, Wilko took off his (I assume?) ring of levitation, and
floated gently to the floor (not into the water). This produces the
message "Startled, the giant eel can no longer hold you!" And, for
completeness, the map still looks like this:

...{{{
player over land: ..@;{{ :eel in water

The eel doesn't actually pull you into the water until the turn that
says "You die..." (If you are wearing an amulet of magical
breathing, you don't seem to ever get dragged into the water square;
instead, the eel's attack just works like a hug from, say, an owlbear.
Rustables don't seem to rust and blankables don't seem to blank. But
I only wiztested for a couple of minutes.)

Interestingly, if you take off your ring of levitation while levitating
over a water square, you get "Startled, the giant eel can no longer
hold you! You fall into the water! You sink like a rock." If there
is a land square next to you, you climb onto it. If there isn't, but
you have teleportitis, you are saved as well. So the next time you are
_wicked desperate_ and fighting an eel while wearing an uncursed ring of
levitation, that's one more option for you!

Yay Nethack.

-r.

Janis Papanagnou

Sep 7, 2006, 11:06:29 AM9/7/06
Rachel Elizabeth Dillon wrote:

> Interestingly, if you take off your ring of levitation while levitating
> over a water square, you get "Startled, the giant eel can no longer
> hold you! You fall into the water! You sink like a rock." If there
> is a land square next to you, you climb onto it. If there isn't, but
> you have teleportitis, you are saved as well.

Does that work on non-teleport levels? (I thought not, but I may be
misremembering.) The typical water areas, Medusa and Juiblex, where
you might not have an adjacent dry land are non-teleport levels.

Janis

Rachel Elizabeth Dillon

Sep 7, 2006, 11:09:47 AM9/7/06

You're absolutely right (I just checked); good catch! I'm embarrassed
I didn't think of that. :)

Thanks,

-r.

Matt Frisch

Sep 7, 2006, 4:05:54 PM9/7/06
On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 05:18:06 +0200, Janis Papanagnou
<Janis_Pa...@hotmail.com> scribed into the ether:

"Public again" would imply some form of thread necromancy that is not
taking place.

Never much cared for killfiling. Anyway, chuck isn't proving interesting
enough to continue replying to.

me

Sep 7, 2006, 7:17:40 PM9/7/06
"chuckcar" <ch...@nil.car> wrote in message

> BTW you probably can engrage under water - I went into
> the first "room" from the initial big area in Ludios once by walking
> under water (didn't have a way to open the drawbridge).

I don't think there's a drawbridge in Ft Ludios, just a couple of doors.
You have to figure out a way to get across the water (which is quite
easy). Anyway, if you have magical breathing, you can go under
water all you want. I've done that before on levels like that to fight
the eels. Just make sure you don't have anything that'll rust, dilute,
or fade in your inventory, without them being in an oilskin sack.
The Water plane in the end game, you're under water too (unless
you're in one of the air pockets)

Topi Linkala

Sep 8, 2006, 5:27:17 AM9/8/06
me wrote:

Sorry: "You can't write on the water."

Just tested it in wiz-mode.

Topi
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Link

Sep 8, 2006, 6:23:56 AM9/8/06
>> Interestingly, if you take off your ring of levitation while levitating
>> over a water square, you get "Startled, the giant eel can no longer
>> hold you! You fall into the water! You sink like a rock."

The eel getting startled had nothing to do with the E-word being
engraved on the square the original poster landed on when he stopped
levitating?

bri...@encompasserve.org

Sep 8, 2006, 10:38:37 AM9/8/06

That's correct. The startling had nothing to do with the E-word
that the player _intended to write_ on the turn after he floated
to the ground.

The player's intent was to use his extra free move from being fast
or very fast to give him time enough to remove the ring and
then engrave. He didn't want to risk wasting a move trying to engrave
and being told that he couldn't do so while levitating. [Though
that concern was found to be misplaced]. Both he and the eel
were startled at the result. The eel released him after his first move
and the engraving was not required on his second.

I wouldn't be startled to learn that the player's next move
was used to engrave anyway before dispatching the eel.

chuckcar

Sep 9, 2006, 8:23:24 PM9/9/06
Topi Linkala <n...@iki.fi> wrote in news:edrd5c$rgu$1...@nyytiset.pp.htv.fi:

> me wrote:
>
>> "chuckcar" <ch...@nil.car> wrote in message
>>
>>>BTW you probably can engrage under water - I went into
>>>the first "room" from the initial big area in Ludios once by walking
>>>under water (didn't have a way to open the drawbridge).
>>

>> I don't think there's a drawbridge in Ft Ludios, just a couple of
>> doors. You have to figure out a way to get across the water (which is
>> quite easy). Anyway, if you have magical breathing, you can go under
>> water all you want. I've done that before on levels like that to
>> fight the eels. Just make sure you don't have anything that'll rust,
>> dilute, or fade in your inventory, without them being in an oilskin
>> sack. The Water plane in the end game, you're under water too (unless
>> you're in one of the air pockets)
>
> Sorry: "You can't write on the water."

Not "on", under, on the ground was my meaning.

Topi Linkala

Sep 9, 2006, 10:37:02 PM9/9/06

That was the message NH generated when wearing a amulet of magical
breathing and being in a pool trying to engrave.

Complain to the DevTeam on the grammar.

chuckcar

Sep 9, 2006, 11:26:20 PM9/9/06
Topi Linkala <n...@iki.fi> wrote in news:edvts2$j86$1...@nyytiset.pp.htv.fi:

> chuckcar wrote:
>> Topi Linkala <n...@iki.fi> wrote in

>>>Sorry: "You can't write on the water."
>>
>> Not "on", under, on the ground was my meaning.
>
> That was the message NH generated when wearing a amulet of magical
> breathing and being in a pool trying to engrave.
>
> Complain to the DevTeam on the grammar.
>
> Topi

Ah, well like it says in the man page: bugs: probably infinite.

Boudewijn Waijers

Oct 6, 2006, 12:56:55 PM10/6/06
cor...@gmail.com wrote:

> floats to the ground, shocking the eel into letting go, and the eel
> never gets its second turn to pull the poster into the water.

Shocking an eel seems highly improbable to me...

:-)

--
Boudewijn.

Confusius says: may the RNG be good to you!

Boudewijn Waijers

Oct 6, 2006, 1:01:14 PM10/6/06
Wilko Frieke wrote:

> Furthermore I was levitating at the moment and wasn't sure
> if I could engrave succesfully while in the air (turns out you can).

Shouldn't this be considered and reported as a bug?

flame...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2006, 9:21:37 PM10/6/06
> > Furthermore I was levitating at the moment and wasn't sure
> > if I could engrave succesfully while in the air (turns out you can).
>
> Shouldn't this be considered and reported as a bug?

Only if it were successful for writing with fingers. Otherwise, why
couldn't you use the 'beam' from a wand of fire, for instance, from a
distance? I tend to think of wands like this as basically laser
pointers - you 'press the button' and a beam comes out. Perhaps the
failure rate for each letter should be higher, but otherwise it's
conceptually sound