Bug? You can rub only unidentified touchstones on gloves.

Shawn Moore

Nov 28, 2005, 1:00:09 AM11/28/05
I was watching Azeral and nao and noticed he picked up some padded
gloves. I advised him to rub the gloves on his touchstone to see if
they were Gauntlets of Power or not (because metal gloves are only GoP
and GoP are only metal gloves). When he tried it he got "That's a silly
thing to rub on the stone." So I wizmode tested..

New game, wished for gauntlets of power (P), gauntlets of dexterity
(D), and a touchstone (T). At this point these items are unidentified.

Applying T on P produces scritch scritch.
Applying T on D produces brown streaks.

Now I identified the touchstone. For both P and D I get "That's a silly
thing to rub on the stone." Identifying P and D at this point do not
change this fact.

Started a new game, wished for P, D, and T again. This time I
identified P and D and left T unidentified. Same results as before.

So it appears that actually identifying a touchstone lessens its
usefulness. Anyone think this behavior intentional?

Thanks!

Eidolos

Shawn Moore

Nov 28, 2005, 2:10:31 AM11/28/05
Shawn Moore wrote:
> [snip]

Also in the source (apply.c:1852-3 in my mildly patched build) is the
following comment:

/* when the touchstone is fully known, don't bother listing extra
junk as likely candidates for rubbing */

Possible solution: You can rub only unidentified objects on a
touchstone? It would reduce the "What do you want to rub on the
touchstone? [a-zA-JL-Z]" syndrome but also allow for Gauntlets of Power
(and similar) testing.

ManaUser

Nov 28, 2005, 11:42:16 AM11/28/05

Couldn't it be changed to only suggest gems and what not, but allow you
to rub it on anything if you try? Kinda like it only suggests reading
scrolls and books, but you can read fortune cookies and t-shirts too.

--
My email address: http://manauser.info/email.gif

Grey Knight

Nov 28, 2005, 11:44:55 AM11/28/05
Ah, this sounds like a good solution. I think this is not so much a bug
as a "broken as designed" ;-) The DevTeam probably just didn't take
that kind of situation into account when writing this piece of code.
Just goes to show: TDTDTOE!

Linden

Nov 28, 2005, 12:34:28 PM11/28/05

Bizarre, when you think of how masterfully they've melded everything
else. They obviously thought of different messages for metal vs
non-metal gloves, as illustrated by the use of an unid'ed touchstone.
They just forgot about it when they coded the behaviour for an id'ed one!