quit "while already on Charon's boat"?

Chaos Master

Jul 9, 2003, 11:53:34 PM7/9/03
What does that message means? I found it in some logfiles in my older
computer.
I searched on google, but I got no results related to NetHack.

---
ChaosMaster, killed by a hallucinogen-distorted ogre king

Bruce

Jul 9, 2003, 11:56:47 PM7/9/03
Chaos Master <rod...@toligado.com.br> deserves a cookie for saying:

> What does that message means? I found it in some logfiles in my older
> computer.
> I searched on google, but I got no results related to NetHack.

Polymorph into something, geno your original race, quit. Check out this
post on google groups:
http://tinyurl.com/gi42

--
Bruce Labbate | Hello.
shiftless layabout | Welcome to Bun-Bun's
| Theatre of Whores.
| - Bun-Bun

Chaos Master

Jul 10, 2003, 12:48:08 AM7/10/03
In article <beio5v$dt7$2...@news-int.gatech.edu>, sol...@gehennom.net
says...

> Chaos Master <rod...@toligado.com.br> deserves a cookie for saying:
> > What does that message means? I found it in some logfiles in my older
> > computer.
> > I searched on google, but I got no results related to NetHack.
>
> Polymorph into something, geno your original race, quit. Check out this
> post on google groups:
> http://tinyurl.com/gi42

Thanks, I did the same in wizmode, and it gave that message too.

and it ended with:

Goodbye wizard the Healer...
You died in The Dungeons of Doom blahblahblah

wizard

1982 au
quit while already on Charon's boat

---

"NetHack famous last words: but an orcish wizard ISN'T an @!"

Aaron A. Stevenson

Jul 10, 2003, 1:32:04 AM7/10/03
Bruce wrote:

> Chaos Master <rod...@toligado.com.br> deserves a cookie for saying:
>> What does that message means? I found it in some logfiles in my older
>> computer.
>> I searched on google, but I got no results related to NetHack.
>
> Polymorph into something, geno your original race, quit. Check out this
> post on google groups:
> http://tinyurl.com/gi42

From the source:

if (how == QUIT) {
killer_format = NO_KILLER_PREFIX;
if (u.uhp < 1) {
how = DIED;
u.umortality++; /* skipped above when how==QUIT */
/* note that killer is pointing at kilbuf */
Strcpy(kilbuf, "quit while already on Charon's boat");
}
}

So it looks like this will also be caused by quitting when your HP is 0 or
less. Actually achieving this is left as an exercise for the reader. =)

___________________________________

5160438 Lynx-Rog-Hum-Fem-Cha
5251130 Lynx-Val-Hum-Fem-Neu
9890984 Lynx-Arc-Hum-Mal-Law

Lynx - 3 ascensions and counting...

Jarkko Heiliö

Jul 10, 2003, 2:43:56 AM7/10/03
"Chaos Master" <rod...@toligado.com.br> wrote in message

> What does that message means? I found it in some logfiles in my older
> computer.
> I searched on google, but I got no results related to NetHack.

But what I'd like to know is what exactly is a Charon's Boat?

--
jarkko

David Corbett

Jul 10, 2003, 2:51:08 AM7/10/03

Charon's the guy who ferries dead people to the underworld in Greek
mythology.

Jens Schmalzing

Jul 10, 2003, 2:56:35 AM7/10/03

Jarkko Heiliö writes:

> But what I'd like to know is what exactly is a Charon's Boat?

In ancient Greek and Roman mythology, Charon (Cheiron) is the ferryman
who takes the souls of the dead to Hades, the underworld, which is
separated from the world of the living by the river Styx. And in
order to be able to pay for the passage, Romans were buried with a
small coin in their mouth. I know NHINAGARM, but the code should
actually check whether the character has any gold left :)

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!

Michael Clarke

Jul 10, 2003, 8:59:33 AM7/10/03
On 10 Jul 2003 08:56:35 +0200, Jens Schmalzing
<jens.sc...@physik.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Jarkko Heiliö writes:
>
>> But what I'd like to know is what exactly is a Charon's Boat?
>
>In ancient Greek and Roman mythology, Charon (Cheiron) is the ferryman
>who takes the souls of the dead to Hades, the underworld, which is
>separated from the world of the living by the river Styx. And in
>order to be able to pay for the passage, Romans were buried with a
>small coin in their mouth. I know NHINAGARM, but the code should
>actually check whether the character has any gold left :)

And they end up stuck on the banks of the Styx if they don't?

Mik

Jens Schmalzing

Jul 10, 2003, 10:53:23 AM7/10/03

Michael Clarke writes:

> > And in order to be able to pay for the passage, Romans were buried
> > with a small coin in their mouth.

> And they end up stuck on the banks of the Styx if they don't?

Indeed. Some sources indicate that they would be taken over anyway
after a hundred years.

updoc

Jul 10, 2003, 11:25:55 AM7/10/03
Jens Schmalzing <jens.sc...@physik.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
> Indeed. Some sources indicate that they would be taken over anyway
> after a hundred years.

So it's not so much paying the ferryman as tipping the waiter.

Brandon
--
Pick spot. Shut up. Wait.
-Kimahri Ronso

K. Bailey

Jul 10, 2003, 12:42:50 PM7/10/03
Jens Schmalzing <jens.sc...@physik.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message news:<hhr84yq...@theorie.physik.uni-muenchen.de>...

> Jarkko Heiliö writes:
> > But what I'd like to know is what exactly is a Charon's Boat?
> In ancient Greek and Roman mythology, Charon (Cheiron) is the ferryman
> who takes the souls of the dead to Hades, the underworld, which is
> separated from the world of the living by the river Styx. And in
> order to be able to pay for the passage, Romans were buried with a
> small coin in their mouth. I know NHINAGARM, but the code should
> actually check whether the character has any gold left :)

Well presumably they would need to have the zorkmid in their mouths,
perhaps placed there by some friendly passing monster.

Who DOES dig those graves and make those headstones, after all?

I bet it's the newts.

--
kb

Geoduck

Jul 10, 2003, 1:45:53 PM7/10/03
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:51:08 +1200, David Corbett typed:

And although he doesn't currently appear in the game, he is used as a
"placeholder" in the tile set.

--
The Fit-To-Screen WinHack tile set:
http://www.olywa.net/cook/nhack.htm

Chaos Master

Jul 11, 2003, 12:02:25 AM7/11/03
There's a grave here. You feel the words: " Aaron A. Stevenson, killed by
posting to rec.games.roguelike.nethack at Wed, 09 Jul 2003 23:32:04 -0600
".

> Bruce wrote:
>
> > Chaos Master <rod...@toligado.com.br> deserves a cookie for saying:
> >> What does that message means? I found it in some logfiles in my older
> >> computer.
> >> I searched on google, but I got no results related to NetHack.
> >
> > Polymorph into something, geno your original race, quit. Check out this
> > post on google groups:
> > http://tinyurl.com/gi42
> >

> From the source:
>
> if (how == QUIT) {
> killer_format = NO_KILLER_PREFIX;
> if (u.uhp < 1) {
> how = DIED;
> u.umortality++; /* skipped above when how==QUIT */
> /* note that killer is pointing at kilbuf */
> Strcpy(kilbuf, "quit while already on Charon's boat");
> }
> }
>
> So it looks like this will also be caused by quitting when your HP is 0 or
> less. Actually achieving this is left as an exercise for the reader. =)

AFAIK, it is impossible. :D

"Yeech! This stuff tastes like poison! You gave up on the game." (ultra-
stale juice :)

Kevin R

Jul 11, 2003, 3:01:45 AM7/11/03
> Hi,
>
> Jarkko Heiliö writes:
>
> > But what I'd like to know is what exactly is a Charon's Boat?
>
> In ancient Greek and Roman mythology, Charon (Cheiron) is the ferryman
> who takes the souls of the dead to Hades, the underworld, which is
> separated from the world of the living by the river Styx. And in

Charon ferried souls across the river Acheron, not the Styx.

Kevin

Michael Clarke

Jul 11, 2003, 9:10:29 AM7/11/03
On 10 Jul 2003 16:53:23 +0200, Jens Schmalzing
<jens.sc...@physik.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Michael Clarke writes:
>
>> > And in order to be able to pay for the passage, Romans were buried
>> > with a small coin in their mouth.
>
>> And they end up stuck on the banks of the Styx if they don't?
>
>Indeed. Some sources indicate that they would be taken over anyway
>after a hundred years.

Sounds like an automatic bones level...

Mik

Mark Adamson

Jul 11, 2003, 9:40:31 AM7/11/03
> > > But what I'd like to know is what exactly is a Charon's Boat?
> >
> > In ancient Greek and Roman mythology, Charon (Cheiron) is the ferryman
> > who takes the souls of the dead to Hades, the underworld, which is
> > separated from the world of the living by the river Styx. And in
>
> Charon ferried souls across the river Acheron, not the Styx.
>
> Kevin

Styx is the more commonly known river, but the mythology says both.
Encyclopedia Britannica says this about Charon:

in Greek mythology, the son of Erebus and Nyx (Night), whose duty it
was to ferry over the Rivers Styx and Acheron those souls of the
deceased who had received the rites of burial. In payment he received
the coin that was placed in the mouth of the corpse.

Dylan O'Donnell

Jul 11, 2003, 10:24:53 AM7/11/03
Chaos Master <rod...@toligado.com.br> writes:
> There's a grave here. You feel the words: " Aaron A. Stevenson, killed by
> posting to rec.games.roguelike.nethack at Wed, 09 Jul 2003 23:32:04 -0600
> ".
> > From the source:
> >
> > if (how == QUIT) {
> > killer_format = NO_KILLER_PREFIX;
> > if (u.uhp < 1) {
> > how = DIED;
> > u.umortality++; /* skipped above when how==QUIT */
> > /* note that killer is pointing at kilbuf */
> > Strcpy(kilbuf, "quit while already on Charon's boat");
> > }
> > }
> >
> > So it looks like this will also be caused by quitting when your HP is 0 or
> > less. Actually achieving this is left as an exercise for the reader. =)
>
> AFAIK, it is impossible. :D

Not at all; try hitting ^C at the --More-- prompt after taking a fatal
blow or otherwise losing all your HP, but before the "You die..."
message.

: "In no longer pretty cities there are fingers in the kitties, :
: There are warrants, forms and chitties and a jackboot on the stair..." :
: -- Alan Moore, "V for Vendetta" :