An instructional ttyrec about the drawbridge

Shawn Moore

May 1, 2006, 12:22:03 AM5/1/06
Yesterday I made a half-hour instructional ttyrec about how to use the
drawbridge and clear the Castle effectively. The third link is
nonexistent at the time of this posting, but will soon be
(nethack.alt.org bzips ttyrecs after about a week)

http://sartak.katron.org/nh/drawbridge.ttyrec.bz2
http://alt.org/nethack/ttyrec/Eidolos/2006-04-30.03:30:29.ttyrec
http://alt.org/nethack/ttyrec/Eidolos/2006-04-30.03:30:29.ttyrec.bz2

Sorry to those whose clients don't support DECgraphics; I forgot to
turn them off.

Hopefully you learn something! I'd certainly like to see more ttyrecs.
Maniac's ascension guide is wonderful but I think it's something else
to actually watch a moderately good player (I've ascended 11 times and
used the tactics in the ttyrec in most of them) perform the techniques.

If you have any questions or comments I'd love to hear them.

Shawn M Moore

Iain D Broadfoot

May 1, 2006, 1:20:13 PM5/1/06
Shawn Moore said something:

> Hopefully you learn something! I'd certainly like to see more ttyrecs.
> Maniac's ascension guide is wonderful but I think it's something else
> to actually watch a moderately good player (I've ascended 11 times and
> used the tactics in the ttyrec in most of them) perform the techniques.

Very nice!

Actually seeing strategies in use is a really good way of making
the advantages clear.

My only complaint is the lack of control that ttyplay gives me
over playback, but that's certainly not your problem.

I'll be using this technique the next time I'm at the castle.

Thanks again,
iain

--
"If sharing a thing in no way diminishes it, it is not
rightly owned if it is not shared." -- St. Augustine

Rast

May 1, 2006, 1:56:17 PM5/1/06
In article <1146457323.5...@j73g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
sar...@gmail.com says...

> Yesterday I made a half-hour instructional ttyrec about how to use the
> drawbridge and clear the Castle effectively. The third link is
> nonexistent at the time of this posting, but will soon be
> (nethack.alt.org bzips ttyrecs after about a week)
>
> http://sartak.katron.org/nh/drawbridge.ttyrec.bz2
> http://alt.org/nethack/ttyrec/Eidolos/2006-04-30.03:30:29.ttyrec
> http://alt.org/nethack/ttyrec/Eidolos/2006-04-30.03:30:29.ttyrec.bz2

Cool idea! I hope we see more of the same, showing other techniques.
The ttyrec played perfectly in termplay (windows program). DECgraphics
was not a problem.

comments:

You should put on the blindfold/towel _before_ digging down.

You were slightly lucky that there were no purple Ls at the castle, but I
suppose you could have used the E-word to deal with them also. You were
also lucky to avoid minotaurs; I'm no E-word expert but IIRC they ignore
it.

As you noted, the biggest problem with using the drawbridge is the total
loss of all monsters and their inventories.

Since you didn't have see invisible, crushing the invisible stalker was a
bad idea. Even a weak character (say, only -10AC and no E-word) would
have saved it to kill and eat later.

--
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious

Simon Tatham

May 1, 2006, 2:32:09 PM5/1/06
Iain D Broadfoot <ibro...@cis.strath.ac.uk> wrote:
> My only complaint is the lack of control that ttyplay gives me
> over playback, but that's certainly not your problem.

If it'll build on whatever system you're running ttyplay on,
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/ipbt/ might be of use to
you.
--
Simon Tatham "I'm going to pull his head off. Ear by ear."
<ana...@pobox.com> - a games teacher

Iain D Broadfoot

May 1, 2006, 3:35:06 PM5/1/06
Simon Tatham said something:

> Iain D Broadfoot <ibro...@cis.strath.ac.uk> wrote:
>> My only complaint is the lack of control that ttyplay gives me
>> over playback, but that's certainly not your problem.
>
> If it'll build on whatever system you're running ttyplay on,
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/ipbt/ might be of use to
> you.

Win! Builds fine on a fairly normal debian sid box.

Looks good, now all I need to do is remember to use it instead
of ttyplay. :)

thanks,

Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner

May 1, 2006, 4:58:41 PM5/1/06
Simon Tatham <ana...@pobox.com> wrote:
> If it'll build on whatever system you're running ttyplay on,
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/ipbt/ might be of use to
> you.

Simon, I just want to say that you rock. :-) ipbt is way better
than ttyplay.

--
Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me

May 1, 2006, 8:26:10 PM5/1/06
sar...@gmail.com says...

> Yesterday I made a half-hour instructional ttyrec about how to use the
> drawbridge and clear the Castle effectively. The third link is
> nonexistent at the time of this posting, but will soon be
> (nethack.alt.org bzips ttyrecs after about a week)

Well done. Thanks.

The last one isn't coming up yet-- is it the same as the first two?

-S

Shawn Moore

May 2, 2006, 12:17:34 AM5/2/06
Rast wrote:
> You should put on the blindfold/towel _before_ digging down.

Fair enough. :)

> You were slightly lucky that there were no purple Ls at the castle, but I
> suppose you could have used the E-word to deal with them also. You > were
> also lucky to avoid minotaurs; I'm no E-word expert but IIRC they > ignore
> it.

Good points. /oSleep for minotaurs, /oFire for purple Ls. :)

> Since you didn't have see invisible, crushing the invisible stalker was a
> bad idea. Even a weak character (say, only -10AC and no E-word) > would
have saved it to kill and eat later.

I had !oSeeInvis in my bag. I intentionally didn't quaff it to make a
point about invisible monsters. However your point certainly would have
been worth mentioning.

Glad you liked it. :)

Shawn M Moore

Shawn Moore

May 2, 2006, 12:19:24 AM5/2/06
S wrote:
> The last one isn't coming up yet-- is it the same as the first two?

Yes. I gave three links to hopefully ensure that at least one of them
would be valid. The first one is on my webserver, the second two are on
nethack.alt.org.

Shawn M Moore

Matt Mills

May 7, 2006, 1:21:12 PM5/7/06
Simon Tatham <ana...@pobox.com> wrote in

> Iain D Broadfoot <ibro...@cis.strath.ac.uk> wrote:
>> My only complaint is the lack of control that ttyplay gives me
>> over playback, but that's certainly not your problem.
>
> If it'll build on whatever system you're running ttyplay on,
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/ipbt/ might be of use to
> you.

Wow, that truly is an improvement over ttyplay. I love it!

I'm just about to submit this as a new FreeBSD port. I can't believe it
isn't in there already.

Thanks. :)

--
Matt