YAAP (My first)

Steven Ness

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
Well, after many many hours of playing, I've ascended my first character!

Sness-V ascended with 404HP, 4596395 points and of course, the Amulet.

Notable monsters killed were Orcus, Yeenoghu, Juiblex, Pestilence, Rodney
(14 times).

This acension started off very promisingly, with me getting a happy water demon
around level 10. I got +2GDSM off of that, and then went back to finish off the
Mines. Coming back, I found a bones level with not fantastic stuff, but just
enough to make life easier. I got MoJo after that, and eventually enchanted it
to +6 rustproofed. Around level 12 I found a really nasty Master Lich who kept
sending in more and more creatures. When he started cursing my stuff, I made a run
for it, but he followed me up a couple levels. I went back up, and very luckily,
found a ?oG, blessed that and wiped out L. I eventually genocided L, V, h (for mind
flayers), and ;. Reverse genocided nurses 3 times, and at the end had the scary
amount of 404HP.

This was the first time I'd gotten below Juiblex, having been killed by his
disease the last time, I had plenty of unicorn horns, and one blessed one ready.
With this, it was very simple to kill him and get lower. After Juiblex, I
played carefully, making sure to keep my fingers away from the dreaded "Q" (gotta
install that paranoia patch).

The RNG played very funny games with me, gave me two "oLS before I found =oTC or
=oL. One of the first things I got was an amulet of magic breathing, but besides
this had no way to get over water until level 42, where I found a =oL. Because
of this, I had many unlabelled scrolls and potions of water when I found out
after Medusa's level that a BoH doesn't keep the stuff inside dry. Actually, did
this TWICE, and lost 3 scrolls of genocide the second time around.

I got 3 wands of wishing, two magic lamps, and two happy water daemons in this
quest, thank you RNG! The last /oW was wasted on trying to get artifacts,
Grayswandir and Frost Brand would have really helped, but I couldn't get those,
just got "You feel something for a moment in your grasp..." messages. So, I had
to do with MoJo, Magicbane and Fire Brand, which I enchanted up to +6 and rustproofed
but didn't kill a single monster with.

Getting the book, bell and candle were very easy with an AC of -43, shield of reflection
the whole 9 yards, but after I got the Amulet, Rodney was a real bother. I got up
to level 36 the first go round, but I was trying to use MoJo on him. He kept
double troubling me and making more and more monsters, until I got quite scared and
teleported back home, with lots of things cursed on me. Had a handy altar and
Orb of Fate, so I went back down, searched all the levels for the stolen Amulet,
and duh, it was dropped off on level 36... Coming back up, just held onto Magicbane
and kept zapping /oD at Rodney, this way it only took 3 kills before I was out of
the dungeon.

Elemental planes were a cinch, just waited in the air bubble on water, used wand of
digging on earth and a fully charged Orb of Fate showed me all I needed to see.

The Astral plane was simple as well, but silly me put on a =oC as soon as I got there
to make people take care of themselves. Well, my Angel didn't like that, but I
had a blessed magic marker and a scroll, so I just tamed them. With my intrinsics
and -43AC, nothing was touching me, and it just took time to wade through
everyone to get to the altar. Held onto Magicbane and zapped /oT and /oD at
everyone in my path. The second altar I tried was the right one...

sness.

--
|http://byron.biochem.ubc.ca/sness/index.html|communication]
|sn...@byron.biochem.ubc.ca -----------------|communication]

Andrew J. Petrarca

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
In article <77dm2a$2ts$1...@nntp.ucs.ubc.ca>,
Steven Ness <sn...@FIX.TIN.DOMAIN> wrote:

>Well, after many many hours of playing, I've ascended my first character!
>
>Sness-V ascended with 404HP, 4596395 points and of course, the Amulet.

Wow, how'd you do that? I've always had to sacrifice the Amulet in order to
ascend! ;)

Congrats.

--
Bitwise, Andrew. &

Miklos Donders

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99

He must have cheated!!! How dare he post his YAAP!

:-)

Miklos

Jonathan Nieder

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
Well, try GREASING your bag of holding....

--Jonathan Nieder