Lost char due to bug in Crawl SS 0.7

Mark Mackey

Mar 8, 2007, 5:51:21 AM3/8/07
I just lost a very promising character in the Swamp due to a bug. One of
the nice things added to Crawl in the dc400 beta days was the removal of
typo instadeaths: back in the bad days accidentally moving onto a lava
or deep water square was effectively an instadeath. This was changed to
give an 'Are you sure?' prompt, which made the game a lot less
frustrating and changed the Swamp from a massive instadeath zone to a
nicely challenging dungeon branch.

Well, from my morgue.txt on akrasiac:

You feel your power returning.
You hear a chilling moan.
You swap places.
You fall into the water!
You try to escape, but your burden drags you down!
You drown...
You die...

If you have an amphibious or flying pet, and try to move on their
square, then move_player() calls swap_monster(), which returns true,
which then passes the 'force' parameter to move_player_to_grid, which
overrides the 'Do you really want to step there?' confirmation, which
causes an instadeath. I should really have been able to notice that the
Tentacled Wossname I was moving towards was swimming in a pool of deep
water...

If this one could be fixed I would be most grateful, although from a
quick look through the code it's not completely trivial.

--
Mark Mackey
The Association for the Advancement of Dungeon Crawling

Darshan Shaligram

Mar 8, 2007, 6:24:21 AM3/8/07
Mark Mackey <ma...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> I just lost a very promising character in the Swamp due to a bug.

[displaced friendly swimming in deep water]

Ouch, condolences. This was fixed in 0.2 awhile back, but was never
backported to 0.1.X.

(4.0 b26 also has this bug.)

--
Darshan Shaligram <scin...@gmail.com> Deus vult

Mark Mackey

Mar 8, 2007, 10:14:44 AM3/8/07
In article <87bqj40...@gmail.com>,

Darshan Shaligram <scin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Mark Mackey <ma...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>
>> I just lost a very promising character in the Swamp due to a bug.
>[displaced friendly swimming in deep water]
>
>Ouch, condolences. This was fixed in 0.2 awhile back, but was never
>backported to 0.1.X.

Oh, good to hear it. Have you got to the stage where a proposed release
date for 0.2 would make sense, or is it still at the
taking-apart-and-putting-back-together phase?

Darshan Shaligram

Mar 9, 2007, 12:19:02 PM3/9/07
Mark Mackey <ma...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
[...]

> Have you got to the stage where a proposed release date for 0.2
> would make sense, or is it still at the
> taking-apart-and-putting-back-together phase?

Still some way to go on 0.2, no clear dates yet.