[Crawl] ["b"] b the DECj - From a Stick to Stones That Break My Bones

Erik Piper

May 21, 2005, 5:46:00 PM5/21/05
If dwarven berserkers were like deep elf conjurers, then the only
enchantment scrolls in the game would be Enchant Weapon VI (that's a
staff of conjurations), and the only weapons would be hand axes and
vorpal broad axes balanced by fire or cold susceptibility (that's a
ring of <element>).

And b has in fact just acquired a staff of conjuration, and is on D:9
(and hasn't found any branch entrances yet). D:9 is somewhat unusually
early for having an enhancer staff, let alone both an enhancer staff
and an amulet of the gourmand, so b's story will an atypically easy one
providing no lessons for a normal game...

...unless we run into a big vault or something. ;-)

D:9
---

I reluctantly decide to keep the quarterstaff of protection in my pack
for now -- I don't have many weight problems yet, and you never know.
However, my real defense is my offense, so it won't be pulled out much,
if ever.

I return from a stash trip and *make sure not to be using Ctrl-O to
explore this level*. There's a checkerboard vault on this level, and
it's mostly unexplored. I want fairly precise control of how I enter
it. After sifting through the remainder, I return to normal
exploration.

Randart helmet:

It affects your evasion (+5).
It affects your strength (+1).
It lets you blink.

Nice.

A seen unseen horror. I'm still recovering from a miscast magma bolt
used against an orc warrior, so I teleport away after a scroll of fear
affects it for about 0.5 turns. This leaves me with no escapes. Ouch.
Can't afford to forget I can blink... although actually, that
unreliable blink evocation isn't all that useful in a pinch.

I hear a distant slurping noise... I hate that message, because I just
imagine that jelly wandering about in a treasure room full of nothing
but robes of resistance, swallowing them all up. I just "swallow my
pride," forgetting I could go upstairs to heal -- the correct reaction
(for the above reason) when you hear a jelly on a level and you need to
heal...

.%.....# #
.%.....#
.....#@#### #
##...###.#.#
#..........#
#.........#.
#..........#
#.........#.
#..........#
###.#.#.#.#

Just sighted a centaur in the area to the S. It didn't sight me. Even
for a conjurer, centaurs are less trouble in melee range than at
missile range; my current hiding place was chosen to maximize the
chance that the centaur, if it arrives, engages in melee rather than at
range. But it look like I'm going to have to come to it. I wish I
hadn't forgotten to bring my bad potions for Evaporate... :-(

When I return, it's gone.

A troll ambushes me as I finish off some loose ends in the vault. The
blink power fails less than I dared hope, and bolt of magma is now
reliable with the \oC, so I even get to consecrate the kill.

A book shop.

a - a book of Ice 910 gold
b - a book of Minor Magic 280 gold
c - a book of Conjurations 420 gold
d - a book of Power 630 gold
e - a book of Clouds 630 gold
f - a book of Enchantments 700 gold
g - a book of Surveyances 280 gold
h - a manual of Long Blades 1610 gold
i - a book of Party Tricks 700 gold
j - a book of Surveyances 280 gold
k - a book of Conjurations 420 gold
l - a book of Flames 490 gold
m - a book of the Sky 910 gold
n - a book of Transfigurations 770 gold

Luck, would you please fail me now so I know I'm not dreaming? (The
Book of Enchantments contains Selective Amnesia -- the most powerful
spell in Crawl. :-) The Book of Flames is *extremely* useful for a
fire/earth conjurer, the Book of Surveyances contains a polite way to
refuse Your Ticket to the Abyss, the book of Transfigurations contains
a certain little munchkiny spell... I could go on, but I'll leave it
there.)

Now that I know I will be able to learn Selective Amnesia early, I
re-examine the Book of Fire. Summon elemental -- why not? (Because I
still just don't like this spell for some irrational reason, that's
why.) Delayed fireball -- why not? (Because even with the \oC it's at
"Poor," that's why... oh well.)

A jewellery shop.

a - a ring of magical power 420 gold
b - a cursed ring of hunger 1 gold
c - an amulet of the gourmand 367 gold
d - a +2 ring of dexterity 315 gold
e - a +1 ring of intelligence 210 gold
f - a ring of magical power 420 gold
g - an amulet of warding 315 gold
h - a ring of protection from magic 420 gold
i - a ring of life protection 630 gold

I might consider a ring of magical power, although I'm approaching the
point where they bring diminishing returns.

Now to actually make some money...

Oh. Yeah. (/me Goes to buy ring of hunger in order to get that item
type id'd for free.)

I get a little carried away chasing down that reseen horror, when...

The stone arrow hits the giant frog.
The giant frog is moderately wounded.
Cast which spell ([?*] list)?
You don't have enough magic to cast that spell.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.

#.#' . #.#
.#.# #.# ##
#.# #.# ..
.#. #.######.#
#)# #.#......#
.#.# #........#
#.#.# ###......#
. .#) #......#
.#. . ####@#.#
... . #b# #
#.## .F#
. ...
g.# #

Uh-oh. This sort of situation is every conjurer's worst nightmare.

I read my remaining scroll of fear. Everything resists but the giant
bat. :-(

I scroll-ID one of my (oops!) unidentified wands -- I left fire at home
due to weight concerns, aaaargh. It's paralysis. Perfect. Just need to
hold out a couple rounds...

...it works. The frog, who's now standing where the bat was, corks up
the whole group, and I add a Conjure Flame as a chaser.

Warriors have armour; Conjurers have dirty tricks. :-)

Vehumet accepts your kill.
You can call upon Vehumet to aid your destructive magics with prayer.

Great; now I can cast Delayed Fireball (stores a fireball up my sleeve
for use in situations like the one I was just in) without fear of a
miscast explosion, as long as I'm praying when I do it.

Oh crap! I run out of MP again in the low-visibility vincinity of that
damn vault a hydra wanders up. I accidentally move after a "You don't
have enough magic to cast that spell" message, putting me adjacent to
the hydra (but not yet subjected to its attacks).

I've got, I'd say, about a 60% chance of surviving one round of attacks
from that mother at full health.

Blink or die.

I (scroll!) blink to the nearest stairs -- DOWN stairs, since this will
probably be less risky than trying to flee in this corridor-heavy,
largely-unexplored level with lots of out-of-depth monsters.

D:10 part 1
-----------

I've got to find a different set of stairs back up; emerging next to
the hydra will kill me.

Fortunately, this is a rooms-and-corridors level, and lacks the major
slightly-out-of-depth population that plagued the last one.

Staff of air. Will be useful for Deflect Missiles later on if a staff
of enchantments doesn't show up.

!oDegeneration. Gets my strength. Oh well; better that inconvenience
than a hit to INT.

Hill Giant. NOTE TO SELF: NEVER FORGET TO UNWIELD
STAFF-OF-"BAD"-ELEMENT AFTER USAGE-ID'ING IT!!! I survive, with one MP
left...

Yak ambushes me while I'm spellcasting-scumming. I retreat into
explored territory, casting Flame Arrow each time I get 2 spellpoints
up, hoping to rout it before killing it so I can safely consecrate the
kill. Nope... no matter.

A staircase to the Orcish Mines. Since I don't really need better
armour and I don't need a better weapon, it's only good for the money
and the piety. I'd really like to find and set up a stash in the Lair
before diving the Mines. Which reminds me...

D:9 continued
-------------

A general store.

a - blah
b - shiny blah
c - some other class's blah
d - blah blah

Nothing to see here, move along...

Heh. I thought as much -- the regularly-shaped-looking room S of the
vault was a statue room (these have a bit nastier inhabitants than just
any old room).

I find a +3 robe. Since I still don't have any other decent ring for
the slot holding poison resistance, I swap out the leather of resPois
for now.

D:10 continued
--------------

Level 11. I celebrate by finally turning on skills other than
Spellcasting.

The entrance to the Lair.

Lair:1 and Moving Day
---------------------

I take it and initialize my new stash, and one uneventful and
real-world short Temple visit later, I've set it up completely. It's
precisely because Moving Day is usually this easy, or close to it, that
I have no qualms about switching stash sites once every game.

After settling in, I decide to explore my new home level a bit. Having
the level, or at least this area of the level, cleared will reduce the
chance of nasty surprises while doing housekeeping, even if I don't go
on to "do" the Lair immediately (in which case I'd start by clearing
this area anyway). During one of my reflexive level-map checks, I
notice a funny "!" that I can't account for. I bet it's... yes, it is.

s - a potion of cure mutation
t - a scroll labeled NUGUQIX

Remember, P is not for Plant. P is for Pinata.

D:10 Continued
--------------

I like having the level with the entrance to my home sweet home cleared
as early as possible, so I can think about strategic matters
undisturbed while arriving and leaving, rather than having some
unwelcome guest interrupt my musings. Let's clear this place out.

You hear a screech!

#.# ###....#.#
#.# #....#.#
##.########....#.#
##.H.@....12....#.#
.#.########.......#
.#...#>...#.#...###
.#...#).#.#.#.#.#
.....##.#.#3###4#
##.#....#.......###
#.######..........
##.######..........
..........####.####

(We'll get to the numbered spots in a minute.)

I really like to get the most kill-consecrations ("foo accepts your
kill") for my money that I can, especially with gods who don't accept
corpses. But if I spend a turn praying now, I'll be right next to the
Hippogriff when I start flinging magma bolts. So this is a fine time to
illustrate the delicate art of a good blink.

A good blink isn't activated just anywhere (unless it's a controlled
blink, of course). Rather, what you want to do is put the law of
averages on YOUR side: to have more valid landing spots in "good"
places than "bad" ones -- this usually means more landing spaces that
increase the distance to your pursuer than ones that decrease it or
keep it the same. Because landing spots are "picked out of a hat" based
on all valid visible squares, such situations arise naturally when your
pursuer is still in a corridor and you on the other hand are starting
to emerge from it. The four spots marked with numbers are all such
places, although the ratio of good squares to bad ones is better for
some of them than for others, and they have some other advantages and
disadvantages of their own.

1 - Very good in that it's the earliest decent spot in my flight path.
(Who knows what may cross my path between now and squares 3 and 4?) But
the wall to the NW will decrease the ratio of good squares to bad.
2 - Almost as early as 1, and a much better good/bad ratio, perhaps
even vastly better if the unknown space to the N is open and at least
*seems* monster-free. But it's awfully "close to the black".
3 - A known area, "away from the black". Very good ratio, maybe even
better than #2, but somewhat longer travel time.
4 - Like 3, but the ratio isn't so good due to the wall to the SE and
the early openness to the NW.

I give the risk from "the black" a stronger negative value than a
longer travel to the blink spot, and choose option 3... only to realize
I'm out of position for it due to having stepped onto position 2. So I
end up taking option 4. It works. :-)

You offer a prayer to Vehumet.
Vehumet is greatly pleased with you.

.. #.# #....#
#'# ##.########....#
#.######..............#
##.#....#.########......
.....##.#...#>...#.#...#
.....##.#...#).#.#.#.#.#
.....##.....##.#.#.###H#
.....####.#....#.......#
.....# #.######@.......
.....####.######........
####.............####.##

In the end, I take down my hippogriff buddy in one shot anyway. Thought
so. :-) But I was really itching for a chance to talk about blinking,
y'know? (And later on in this level I do have several more battles
where I use this technique, like one with a jelly and a couple with
ogres.)

Incidentally, in a pinch you can use a room corner instead of a
corridor:

#.........
#.........
#.........
#.Foo.....
#@........
##########

...the ratios tend to be a bit dodgy, but it's better than nothing.

D:10 contains a naga room. I guess I took out the guardian naga before
the breather I took on this log, because I don't actually remember
taking one out. It yields books of Frost and Power and staves of
Wizardry and Poison. Of the staves, I take neither as a day-to-day
item, but they do get stashed (Wizardry might get used for Remove Curse
or Identify at some point, and Poison... well I'm prejudiced against
poison spells because I like sacrificing the short term to the long
term, and devoting XP to poison magic is the exact opposite of this,
but maybe God will come to me in a burning bush and tell me to use
poison magic, so I'm not gonna throw it away.) Of the books:

The book of Frost

Spells Type Level
a - Freeze Ice 1
b - Throw Frost Conjuration/Ice 2
c - Ozocubu's Armour Enchantment/Ice 3
d - Ice Bolt Conjuration/Ice 4
e - Summon Ice Beast Ice/Summoning 5
f - Freezing Cloud Conjuration/Ice/Air 7

Freeze demands melee-range contact; that's not a DECj's game. Throw
Frost's domain -- fire-resistant critters -- is covered pretty well by
Earth magic already, but I take it anyway in order to arrive in Gehenna
in style one day, and besides, Throw Frost is more accurate than Stone
Arrow, and reliability is important when you can't afford to get hit.
Oz's Armour... my whole aim is to fight *less*, not *better* -- Oz is
three spell points I could have spent taking out the enemy or blinking
away. Ice Bolt... well, I already took Throw Frost, and Ice Bolt's
pretty expensive. Summon Ice Beast... I'm prejudiced against summoning.
(Otherwise, it's a pretty nice spell, though it would take some work to
be able to cast it reliably.) Freezing Cloud... a marvelous spell, but
I won't be able to cast it for a long time to come.

The book of Power

Spells Type Level
a - Animate Dead Necromancy 4
b - Teleport Other Translocation 4
c - Venom Bolt Conjuration/Poison 5
d - Bolt of Iron Conjuration/Earth 6
e - Invisibility Enchantment 6
f - Mass Confusion Enchantment 6
g - Poisonous Cloud Conjuration/Poison/Air 6

Animate Dead: Summoning, undead pets, all the same to me. Plus, my
Necro is still at 0 at the moment. Teleport Other: resistable spells
suck without very strong casting power, and tend to suck *with* very
strong casting power too. Plus, my Trans... etc. etc. Venom Bolt: I'm
prejudiced against poison magic. Bolt of Iron: Cha-ching! Invisibility:
kinda nice, but way out of my league for now. Mass Confusion: see
Teleport Other. Poisonous Cloud: see Venom Bolt.

Hmm... lots of spell levels still unspent. They're burning a hole in my
pocket! I go and learn Summon Elemental after all, just for the
0-weight digging tool it provides.

Which reminds me...

Orc:1
-----

Darn, I wish I could rewind... or have "movie-style" presentations, for
that matter. A fire/earth conjurer's descent into Orc:1 is a fine,
popcorn-munching affair (and if you have no popcorn, roasted orc bones
are an OK replacement too). Basically, if it's one of those densely
populated Orc:1's, you just try to maximize kills/turn every turn for
as many turns as you can (with priests and wizards counting for 3-4
ordinary kills :-)), then leave and hope the entrance isn't surrounded
when you return. This time around the density was middling, and I
managed it without a leave/return, though I did have to leave the
staircase square, which is always scary (how many, many, many of my
spellcaster deaths could have the epitaph "left stairs").

The initial cavern-chamber narrowed off and opened up another
cavern-chamber...

Uh-oh. A dangerously close Orc Knight and his buddies are running cover
for an Orc Priest waaay in the back.

oo.
o.##
### ### ...#
##.## ##.#### ..
#...## #...#.##.##
##.#.#####.....@..#
##....##......##.##
#....#......### ##
##..##.....#.#.##
#....##.........#
##...#.........##
##...#......#.##
##..##....#...#
##.....<[.....#

Q: What do Bolt of Magma and Silence have in common?
A: Their range is one silly millimeter too damn short.

So the first thing I'm gonna have to do is break the priest's LOS,
which is easy enough. The tricky part will be getting in enough shots
at the knight to kill him while neither letting him close for melee nor
letting the orc priest get a serious lock on me. Meanwhile, leading the
knight up the stairs is not a serious option for a DECj; for that
matter, even leaving him behind downstairs could make a return
unfeasible for thousands of moves. Or at least cost me a potion of
speed for the return -- but I'd be pretty scared even then.

##.## ##.#### ..
#...## #...#.##.##
##.#.#####........#
##....##......##.##
#....#......### ##
##..##.....#.#.##
#....##.........#
##...#.........##
##...#.....@#.##
##..##....#...#
##.....<[.....##
#....##....#.##
##.####..#####
### #....##
##....#
###.##
###

Crap, they don't seem to be following. Trying to reestablish LOS on the
orc knight could set up an even worse situation than the previous one
if I'm not careful.

### ### ...#
##.## ##.#### ..
#...## #...#.##.##
##.#.#####....o...#
##....##.....o##.##
#....#......### ##
##..##.....#.#.##
#....##.@..)....#
##...#....)....##
##...#......#.##
##..##....#...#
##.....<[.....##
#....##....#.##
##.####..#####
### #....##
##....#

After a couple of vanilla orcs arrive and then all quiets... guess they
were scouts :-) ... I head to lure out the knight as safely as
possible. It works. I don't know why I'm not even further to the left
here, as that would be the wiser course. I guess I'm just foolish. :-)

FIRE!!!

The initial barrage is Stone Arrow, not Bolt of Magma, because I can't
afford to waste 5 spell points on an attack that might just barely fall
short of the OK.

### ### ...#
##.## ##.#### ..
#...## #...#.##.##
##.#.#####.oo.o...#
##....##..o.#.##.##
#....#......### ##
##..##.....#.#.##
#....##.@..)....#
##...#....)....##
##...#......#.##
##..##....#...#
##.....<[.....##
#....##....#.##
##.####..#####
### #....##
##....#

...except it isn't Stone Arrow at all, it's Conjure Flame due to a
misstroke. :-/ Mr. Macho OK walks through it like it's a sunbathing
studio, grinning that "You're TOAST man" grin of his, and I now at
least start flingin' the magma. Mr. OK is the closest o, and he's
heavily wounded. But 3 squares to an OK is a little close for a
conjurer's comfort even in the best of cases, and that last o is the OP
again.

##.## ##.#### ..
#...## #...#.##.##
##.#.#####........#
##....##.o....##.##
#..2.#......### ##
##..##...o.#.#.##
#....##.o..)....#
##...#....)....##
##..@#......#.##
##.1##....#...#
##.....<[.....##
#....##....#.##
##.####3.#####
### #....##
##....#
###.##
###

(That's the trouble with them youngsters and those newfangled Conjurers
of theirs. Their screenshots are too big. TOO BIG, I tell ya!)

The numbered spots are some desperation blinking positions, numbered by
a super-quick guess of viability, that I'm thinking about just in case
I get fairly unlucky in the next couple of turns, but not yet so
unlucky that I'll be reaching for a scroll-blink instead. But for now
I'm making my stand here, as it's likely to cut the priest's LOS for
the 2 turns at most that I'll be standing in place.

The bolt of magma hits the orc knight.
You kill the orc knight!
Vehumet accepts your kill.
The bolt of magma hits the orc.
You kill the orc!
Vehumet accepts your kill.
You feel your power returning.

Oh, way to take all the fun of it. What will I have to blather about
with that Orc Knight gone?

A long, long "when will it stop???" string of vanilla/ranged/warrior
orcs, more dangerous for its duration than for the individual members,
follows when I leave my Alamo. I make considerable use of Vehumet's
Channel Energy power. There's no reason not to; even if I didn't have
the AotG, the food cost is no more a concern than it would be during a
food fight at the local all-you-can-eat.

Soon it's all over but a bit of exploration and the hoovering of the
dead.

Orc:2, Orc:1
------------

A series of typing mistakes forces me out of the level. :-/ And I do
indeed use a potion of speed to facilitate my return.

If there were a second set of stairs, I'd take it, as you can bet that
the ones I just took will be surrounded when I return.

Orc:2 continued
---------------

Yep... the stairs are surrounded, including an Orc Knight. :-/
Fortunately, these are the "elevator" stairs (the >< type)so often
generated on spotty levels like the Mines. Even an immediate dive to
Orc:3 is less dangerous than leaving the stairs -- that old "left
stairs" epitaph again. An orc knight will be following me, but I should
be able to take that one hit he'll deliver.

Orc:3
-----

The stairs are in an alcove, which lowers the count of what can stand
by me in my new location; I luck out and the orc knight is among those
who don't get to properly follow. However, I think I've seen "unable to
follow" monsters simply arrive at some *other* location on the new
level before, so I'm not going to assume that Orc Knight isn't around
here anywhere.

Turns out this is a really small chamber... I really wish I had some
way of sounding out the level right now -- magic mapping is nice and
all, but even detect creatures would be better than nothing, which is
what I've got. :-/

Can't go up, really, so I'll try down.

Orc:4
-----

Wide open cavern. A staircase immediately neighboring the one I came
down. I don't let myself get distracted by the OP I see in the
distance, because my real aim is to make Orc:2 safe in the short term,
not prove I'm macho by taking out Orc:4 right now, and the hasting from
the potion of speed I quaffed isn't gonna last forever.

It's a brown staircase, so if I redescend from the destination
staircase, I'll land somewhere else.

Orc:3
-----

Aww, crap. Another tiny chamber. And by the time I'm done clearing it,
the hasting has run out. (I even have a "oRS, but I forgot to wear it.
:-/)

Orc:4
-----

Easy to clear; a different area than the one I arrived from; contains
the white staircase I used to arrive and a brown staircase. The only
way "ahead" is the brown one.

Orc:3
-----

It leads back to that tiny chamber that was the first Orc:3. Well, here
we go again...

Orc:4
-----
You are in a maze of twisty Orcish Mines, all alike.

You see some vanilla orcs and the big chamber that was your
introduction to Orc:4.

> boom kablam pow
Boom kablam pow.

> explore
You explore. Boom kablam pow. You see a fire pit littered with various
exammples of the elven anatomy. You see a white staircase, leading
upwards. "Killb was here" is scrawled on it in charcoal.

> up

Orc:3
-----

## ###
#####..## ##.##
.#..... ##...###
......####....#.##
........##......#
.........#.....##
#...... #......#
#.#...># ##.....#
#....@...# ####%##
#............# #.@<#
....#.##......# ##%##
.oo.....o ###
..#.##.o.
oo### #
...#
.#o#

The > you see leads to the Elven Halls (no thanks). The < is the only
path I know back to the Elven Halls. The rightmost o is an orc knight,
and could be the one that tried to follow me down from Orc:2, but what
if my (rather bizarre-sounding, I must admit in any case)
"teleportation" theory is wrong and he's still upstairs? Although I
*could* use summon elemental to dig to the < you see, I think I'll look
for some *other* way up...

I choose a path that maximizes leftward moves so I don't lose a single
square of distance from the Orc Knight until I either have to, or I at
least have the vital knowledge of *how the hell I'm going to be
ascending.*

I do end up cornered. But the distance is enough to safely take out the
knight.

The rest of my quest for a staircase up is uneventful (I even sight
said staircase)...

...until a cyclops sights me while I'm risking overloaded status in the
name of easier hoovering, and once I survive that faux pas, break LOS,
and drop the burden, I fail to immediately quaff a !oHW, then restore
LOS and start firing, then fall to 15 HP, then make a miscalculated
attempt to break LOS instead of quaffing the !oHW (or scroll-blinking)
at least *now*.

You die...

Soo... dumb... of... me...

I'll fess up: even I was tempted to save scum here. :-(

I can offer a Story of b2 if anyone's interested; if so, I'll ignore
the pre-moving-day period; b2's log will gloss the period before b2's
Moving Day with just a resume to bring the reader up to speed, and will
probably either start out with an orc peek or a lair dive, depending on
my state of poison resistance and whether I'm hungry for money, or want
to fish for equipment "directly" (part 2 was originally supposed to end
with the purchase of the Book of Enchantments, thus I was hungry for
money in this game).

Morgue can be posted if desired; this thing is already way large
enough.

Erik

Glen Wheeler

May 21, 2005, 10:31:49 PM5/21/05

"Erik Piper" <er...@sky.cz> wrote in message

> If dwarven berserkers were like deep elf conjurers, then the only
> enchantment scrolls in the game would be Enchant Weapon VI (that's a
> staff of conjurations), and the only weapons would be hand axes and
> vorpal broad axes balanced by fire or cold susceptibility (that's a
> ring of <element>).
> [..]

Erik! A wonderful post. Yes, I read it all. Would definitely like a
morgue file, and a continuation with ``b2''. My personal skill with
conjuring types is far inferior to your own and I love reading about it.

Keep it up!

--
Glen
L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Erik Piper

May 22, 2005, 6:54:34 AM5/22/05
Glen Wheeler wrote:
> "Erik Piper" <er...@sky.cz> wrote in message
>
>>If dwarven berserkers were like deep elf conjurers, then the only
>>enchantment scrolls in the game would be Enchant Weapon VI (that's a
>>staff of conjurations), and the only weapons would be hand axes and
>>vorpal broad axes balanced by fire or cold susceptibility (that's a
>>ring of <element>).
>>[..]
>

> Erik! A wonderful post. Yes, I read it all. Would definitely like a
> morgue file, and a continuation with ``b2''. My personal skill with
> conjuring types is far inferior to your own and I love reading about it.
>
> Keep it up!

Oh'righty. Below is the morgue.

One thing I kept meaning to write at the end of that log "page" was that
the *real* error that killed me was failing to *stop* *playing* after I
was tired enough to start making typing mistakes (as happens a page or
two above the final end). Y'just can't play Crawl on autopilot (though
you can *log* it on autopilot just fine, I guess. ;-) )

Erik

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

You drop an orcish ring mail.
Your possessions no longer seem quite so burdensome.

You offer a prayer to Vehumet.

Vehumet is exalted by your worship.
You see here a rotting orc corpse.
The cyclops throws a large rock.
The large rock hits you!

Cast which spell ([?*] list)?

You feel a surge of power!
Which direction ([*+-] to target)?
Aim (move cursor or -/+/=, change mode with CTRL-F, select with . or >)
A cyclops.
Floor.
The cyclops throws a large rock.
The large rock hits you!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
The cyclops throws a large rock.
The large rock hits you!
Ouch! That really hurt!
You die...

.............^...####
##......#.##.^..##.# #
.......###.##.##...
........##...###...#
....... #..## #...##
.#.#.#....###....#
...........#.##%.#
.............)#%####
..........[..@%.#.##
...........[#......#
.<...C.#.#.....#.##
..%...##......###
......####....#..##
.......)#.........#
......)))).......##
.........).#..#...#
##...........##.##

b the Thaumaturge (Deep Elf)
(Level 11 Conjurer)

Play time: 10:56:24 Number of turns: 23370

Experience : 11/15799
Strength 7 Dexterity 15 Intelligence 23
Hit Points : -12/48 (dead) Magic Points : 28/33
AC : 7 Evasion : 16 Shield : 0
GP : 682

You are in the Mines.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is exalted by your worship.
You are full.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
b - a -1,+2 orcish dagger
c - a +0 quarterstaff of protection
h - a -1,+1 orcish trident
m - a -1,+0 orcish dagger
B - a +2,+2 orcish trident
F - a +0 orcish short sword
H - a -1,+2 orcish short sword
J - a +0,+1 orcish dagger
Missiles
o - 3 +0 bolts
Armour
d - a +0 orcish leather armour
e - a +0 orcish leather armour
f - a +0 orcish leather armour
g - a +0 robe
i - a +0 pair of gloves (worn)
j - the +0 helm "Ufklaviakyp" (worn)

It affects your evasion (+5).
It affects your strength (+1).
It lets you blink.

k - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
l - a +3 robe (worn)
n - a +0 orcish leather armour
p - a +0 robe
r - a +1 orcish leather armour
s - a +2 robe
t - a +0 robe
v - a cursed +0 orcish leather armour
A - a +0 robe
G - a +0 orcish leather armour
M - a +2 robe
Magical devices
w - a wand of flame (10)
x - a wand of fire (4)
K - a wand of paralysis (8)
T - a wand of frost (19)
V - a wand of magic darts (13)
Scrolls
q - a scroll of blinking
E - 2 scrolls of teleportation
Jewellery
y - an amulet of resist slowing
z - a ring of poison resistance (right hand)
C - a ring of teleportation
L - an amulet of controlled flight
O - a ring of see invisible (left hand)
R - an amulet of the gourmand (around neck)
U - an amulet of resist corrosion
Potions
u - 3 potions of healing
N - a potion of heal wounds
Magical staves
a - a staff of conjuration (weapon)

You have 1 experience left.

Skills:
- Level 1 Short Blades
- Level 1 Staves
+ Level 3 Dodging
+ Level 4 Stealth
+ Level 14 Spellcasting
+ Level 12 Conjurations
+ Level 7 Fire Magic
+ Level 5 Earth Magic
+ Level 1 Evocations

You have 3 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success Level
a - Magic Dart Conjuration Perfect 1
b - Throw Flame Fire/Conjuration Perfect 2
c - Conjure Flame Fire/Conjuration Perfect 3
d - Stone Arrow Earth/Conjuration Excellent 3
e - Bolt of Magma Fire/Earth/Conjuration Excellent 5
f - Evaporate Fire/Transmigration Great 2
g - Fireball Fire/Conjuration Excellent 6
h - Delayed Fireball Fire/Conjuration Great 7
i - Throw Frost Ice/Conjuration Excellent 2
j - Bolt of Iron Earth/Conjuration Excellent 6
k - Summon Elemental Summoning Very Good 4

Vanquished Creatures
A hydra (D:9)
2 orc knights
2 unseen horrors (D:9)
2 hill giants (D:10)
A guardian naga (D:10)
2 giant brown frogs (D:9)
A troll (D:9)
6 yaks
A hungry ghost (D:9)
A vampire (D:9)
A hippogriff (D:10)
A wyvern (D:9)
Edmund (D:5)
6 ice beasts
6 ogres
5 centaurs
A gila monster (D:9)
11 orc warriors
4 giant frogs
An eye of draining (D:9)
10 imps
8 hounds
A giant beetle (D:9)
15 orc priests
17 orc wizards
A wight (D:10)
4 giant ants
5 giant iguanas
4 scorpions
5 jellies
13 snakes
3 worms
A big kobold zombie (D:10)
3 gnolls (D:9)
2 giant mites
A giant frog zombie (D:5)
2 oozes
Jessica (D:3)
A hound zombie (D:9)
A killer bee zombie (D:10)
22 giant bats
10 giant cockroaches
6 giant geckos
21 hobgoblins
8 jackals
20 kobolds
102 orcs
8 quokkas
26 rats
8 giant newts
11 goblins
A hobgoblin zombie (D:6)
A kobold zombie (D:5)
5 orc zombies
2 small snakes
2 snake zombies (D:5)
A plant (Lair:1)

408 creatures vanquished.

Björn Bergström

May 25, 2005, 11:49:29 AM5/25/05
Glen Wheeler wrote:
> "Erik Piper" <er...@sky.cz> wrote in message
>
>>If dwarven berserkers were like deep elf conjurers, then the only
>>enchantment scrolls in the game would be Enchant Weapon VI (that's a
>>staff of conjurations), and the only weapons would be hand axes and
>>vorpal broad axes balanced by fire or cold susceptibility (that's a
>>ring of <element>).
>>[..]
>

> Erik! A wonderful post. Yes, I read it all. Would definitely like a
> morgue file, and a continuation with ``b2''. My personal skill with
> conjuring types is far inferior to your own and I love reading about it.
>
> Keep it up!

Agreed! This was a good post! Very enjoyable reading indeed.

/Björn