-Crawl S- Stone Soup 0.1.1 released

erisdiscordia

Sep 26, 2006, 1:41:46 PM9/26/06

Christopher Evenstar

Sep 26, 2006, 2:16:34 PM9/26/06
erisdiscordia wrote:

Thanks for this! ... and everything else, of course.

Good job y'all!
Christopher Evenstar

erisdiscordia

Sep 26, 2006, 2:56:33 PM9/26/06
erisdiscordia wrote:
> [...] (more soon)

And by "soon", I mean "in the morning." Yaaaawwnnn...

Note that savefiles from 0.1 will work in 0.1.1 just fine.

e.

Tina Hall

Sep 26, 2006, 7:12:00 PM9/26/06
Erisdiscordia <er...@sky.cz> roared:

> erisdiscordia wrote:

>> [...] (more soon)

> And by "soon", I mean "in the morning." Yaaaawwnnn...

Nice dreams.

> Note that savefiles from 0.1 will work in 0.1.1 just fine.

Well, I just killed my ElWz, and read posts until I find what character
would interest me, so now I get to start a fresh character with that. :)

<a little later>

Got the DOS binary and started a new ElWz for lack of inspiration. :)
Thanks!

--
Tina the Halberdier - a High Priest of the Rueful Nice Gazelle

ben.g...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2006, 1:11:15 AM9/27/06
Huzzah! for resurrecting Crawl development.

MDGl, dead to a pack of ugly things on level 3. Yep, it's still Crawl.

erisdiscordia

Sep 27, 2006, 4:21:27 AM9/27/06
ben.g...@gmail.com wrote:
> Huzzah! for resurrecting Crawl development.
>
> MDGl, dead to a pack of ugly things on level 3. Yep, it's still Crawl.

Huh, what do people *do* to keep tripping off the "generate something
horribly OOD" doo-dad so early so often? *I* never trip it off. I'm
actually *jealous.*

(Actually, the most likely explanation is that I'm subconciously
repressing the times when it happens. :-) )

e.

JPEG

Sep 27, 2006, 4:48:53 PM9/27/06
erisdiscordia wrote:
> oh one one released

Great! :D

The shop colouring is a nice and nifty feature, the ring finger
handling is more comfortable now, and I adore the new % screen.
Inscription's great, as well. Thanks!

I haven't played Oki characters in 0.1.1. yet, but I'm already glad you
decided to make missile gifts less likely. (That was really annoying!)
The Channel energy switch sounds promising as well, though I must admit
I've never used it, so I'm speaking entirely from theory here.

I found a minor dump bug, though: Wearing an unID ring of tele control,
the dump (both in-game % and dump file) marks tele control in
resistances; otherwise in-game there's no mention or hint of that being
the case. The same might be true for others, but most (fire/cold res.,
Control Flight, ...) appear to work fine.

Have the monsters all become near-sighted, or is it normal that they
(even gnolls, brown snakes, orc warriors) often don't notice my
characters until they're very close (around 5, sometimes even 2
squares), although they've got a Stealth of precisely 0? This was the
case already in 0.1.0. and remains higher-than-expected over many games
with different types of characters.
I mean that's nice but I can't remember it being that easy to sneak
around them before in b26.

Suggestions (minor):

Is it already possibly to find out the content of spell books in shops
by (v)iewing?

I really think the =tele should become more pricy. It's a very useful
ring and should be worth more than $1.

Questions:

What can I do with the notes? Do I need a specific program to view them
(I've got Win XP)? Can I customize the auto-notes?

What are all these added keymap thingies in the initial macro.txt?

How can I change the appearance of the dungeon features people talk
about (arcs for shops etc.)? Or does that only work for DOS?

Thanks again,

jpeg

Haran Pilpel

Sep 27, 2006, 5:00:45 PM9/27/06
"JPEG" <erin...@hotmail.de> writes:

> The shop colouring is a nice and nifty feature, the ring finger
> handling is more comfortable now, and I adore the new % screen.
> Inscription's great, as well. Thanks!

Encouragement always helps :)

> I found a minor dump bug, though: Wearing an unID ring of tele control,
> the dump (both in-game % and dump file) marks tele control in
> resistances; otherwise in-game there's no mention or hint of that being
> the case. The same might be true for others, but most (fire/cold res.,
> Control Flight, ...) appear to work fine.

You're right. It's a bug which seems to have been around a while.
We'll fix it. If possible, and you haven't done so yet, please file a
bug report at the Sourceforge site - that will make it easier to
track.

> Suggestions (minor):
>
> Is it already possibly to find out the content of spell books in shops
> by (v)iewing?
>
> I really think the =tele should become more pricy. It's a very useful
> ring and should be worth more than $1.

Both these ideas sound good to me. Can you file feature requests for
them? (also at the Sourceforge site)

> Questions:
>
> What can I do with the notes? Do I need a specific program to view them
> (I've got Win XP)? Can I customize the auto-notes?

No special program needed, they just get written out in the
chardump...*if* you set use_notes=true in the init file.

I don't know if it's set in the default init file, if not, it will
be soon :)

There are lots of ways to customize notes. You can read the README
for the inscription patch - which is what notes are taken from - here:

http://www.math.huji.ac.il/~haranp

Don't worry, it will all get added to the stone_soup documentation soon
enough.

Haran

JPEG

Sep 27, 2006, 5:49:19 PM9/27/06
Haran Pilpel wrote:
> "JPEG" <erin...@hotmail.de> writes:

I've added all three of my comments to sourceforge - never done that
before, how exciting!

> > What can I do with the notes? Do I need a specific program to view them
> > (I've got Win XP)? Can I customize the auto-notes?
>
> No special program needed, they just get written out in the
> chardump...*if* you set use_notes=true in the init file.
>
> I don't know if it's set in the default init file, if not, it will
> be soon :)

Hmm... I simply copied my 0.1 init file, but I searched the original
and it's not in there.

> There are lots of ways to customize notes. You can read the README
> for the inscription patch - which is what notes are taken from - here:
>
> http://www.math.huji.ac.il/~haranp

Ah, nice. But the inscription shortcuts sound really complicated! Lots
of keys (or numbers) I'd have to memorise. This will take some time to
get used to. Until then I'll simply use inscriptions for semi-ID. ;)

Thanks!

Tina Hall

Sep 27, 2006, 7:35:00 PM9/27/06
Jpeg <erin...@hotmail.de> screeched:
> erisdiscordia wrote:

>> oh one one released

> Great! :D

> The shop colouring is a nice and nifty feature, the ring finger
> handling is more comfortable now, and I adore the new % screen.

I thought "Huh?", then thought to check whether I had copied the
downloaded new crawl.exe into the directory. Looks like I didn't. Tried
now, and the new binary just exits with an error message.

Exiting due to signal SIGILL wl Stone Soup 0.1.1 (crawl-ref)!
Invalid Opcode at eip=0015202f Henzell
eax=ffedf407 ebx=00000050 ecx=00000007 edx=002f2394 esi=002f2394 edi=00000000
ebp=002f2358 esp=002f2238 program=F:\ASCII\CRAWL\CRAWL.EXE
cs: sel=00d7 base=00400000 limit=0032ffff
ds: sel=00df base=00400000 limit=0032ffff
es: sel=00df base=00400000 limit=0032ffff
fs: sel=00b7 base=00004eb0 limit=0000ffff
gs: sel=00ef base=00000000 limit=0010ffff
ss: sel=00df base=00400000 limit=0032ffff
App stack: [002f303c..0027303c] Exceptn stack: [00272f90..00271050]

Call frame traceback EIPs:
0x0015202f
0x000624b5
0x00062685
0x00063a67
0x0000d263
0x0019c248

> Suggestions (minor):

> Is it already possibly to find out the content of spell books in shops
> by (v)iewing?

It is. Just try it. Though the display looks a little off here. (The
Spell-levels are on the next line somewhere to the left.)

> I really think the =tele should become more pricy. It's a very useful
> ring and should be worth more than $1.

:) I found that very true in a game (character now dead), where I had
little escape means. Whenever something big turned up, I put the ring on
and hoped it would take me away, which it did.

I wouldn't mind it costing more.

> Questions:

> What can I do with the notes? Do I need a specific program to view them
> (I've got Win XP)? Can I customize the auto-notes?

What notes? (No one's explained yet what that 'make notes' command is
good for.)

--
Tina the Necromancer - an Initiate of the Reprieving Numerous Glue

Haran Pilpel

Sep 27, 2006, 6:19:19 PM9/27/06
Tina...@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:

> What notes? (No one's explained yet what that 'make notes' command is
> good for.)

Add the line:
use_notes = true
to your init file.
Then notes will be taken (if you're using 0.1.1 or higher; you can
check by seeing if ':' asks you to make a note) and dumped in the
chardump file. Notes are taken whenever a significant event happens,
e.g. you gain an experience level.

Haran

Darshan Shaligram

Sep 28, 2006, 2:50:10 AM9/28/06
Tina...@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:
[...]

> I thought "Huh?", then thought to check whether I had copied the
> downloaded new crawl.exe into the directory. Looks like I
> didn't. Tried now, and the new binary just exits with an error
> message.

> Exiting due to signal SIGILL wl Stone Soup 0.1.1 (crawl-ref)!

Are you trying to reload an existing 0.1 save? Looks like I loused up
the 0.1 DOS binary so 0.1.1 is not save-compatible with it.

> It is. Just try it. Though the display looks a little off here. (The
> Spell-levels are on the next line somewhere to the left.)

Hmm yes, I can repro the problem with the DOS binary. I'll look into a
fix.

--
Darshan Shaligram <scin...@gmail.com> Deus vult

Tina Hall

Sep 28, 2006, 6:41:00 AM9/28/06
Darshan Shaligram <scin...@gmail.com> buzzed:
> Tina...@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:

> [...]

>> I thought "Huh?", then thought to check whether I had copied the
>> downloaded new crawl.exe into the directory. Looks like I
>> didn't. Tried now, and the new binary just exits with an error
>> message.

>> Exiting due to signal SIGILL wl Stone Soup 0.1.1 (crawl-ref)!

> Are you trying to reload an existing 0.1 save? Looks like I loused up
> the 0.1 DOS binary so 0.1.1 is not save-compatible with it.

Yes. And if that's all, I'm happy. I'll not kill the char prematurely,
though, just to find out if it's all. :)

0.1.2 Does the same, btw:

Exiting due to signal SIGSEGVwl Stone Soup 0.1.2 (crawl-ref)!
General Protection Fault at eip=0009505a
eax=00200348 ebx=00000190 ecx=00000200 edx=0002493c esi=0000000a edi=002f4d50
ebp=002f41e8 esp=002f41e0 program=F:\ASCII\CRAWL\CRAWL.EXE

cs: sel=00d7 base=00400000 limit=0032ffff
ds: sel=00df base=00400000 limit=0032ffff
es: sel=00df base=00400000 limit=0032ffff
fs: sel=00b7 base=00004eb0 limit=0000ffff
gs: sel=00ef base=00000000 limit=0010ffff
ss: sel=00df base=00400000 limit=0032ffff

App stack: [002f4e3c..00274e3c] Exceptn stack: [00274d90..00272e50]

Call frame traceback EIPs:
0x0009505a
0x00064aa1
0x0000d263
0x0019d868

--
Tina the Transmuter - the Champion of the Reversely Naughty Groupie

Darshan Shaligram

Sep 28, 2006, 5:53:36 AM9/28/06
Tina...@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:
> Darshan Shaligram <scin...@gmail.com> buzzed:
[...]

>> Are you trying to reload an existing 0.1 save? Looks like I loused
>> up the 0.1 DOS binary so 0.1.1 is not save-compatible with it.

> Yes. And if that's all, I'm happy. I'll not kill the char
> prematurely, though, just to find out if it's all. :)

> 0.1.2 Does the same, btw:

Yes, the bug is that the 0.1 DOS binary doesn't produce saves that are
compatible with newer releases.