Crawl poll

David Ploog

Aug 19, 2009, 7:33:06 PM8/19/09
Hi folks,

out of a whim we started a poll on the IRC channel ##crawl. Lots of
players already replied and it would be nice to have input from other
channels as well. So here it goes to Usenet.

12 questions; evaluation will be anonymous and statistics will be posted
here. Please send replies to

craw...@gmail.com

1. What is you age?
2. Which country do you live in?
3. Do you play locally, on a server or both?
4. Do you play Tiles or ASCII or both?
5. Which Operating Systems do you use at home?
6. Which Roguelikes have you played before? (Nethack, ADOM, Angbandetc.)
7. Where did you learn about Crawl?
8. And when?
9. How often did you win Crawl? (If none, you may specify your best game.)
10. If you take part in the Crawl tournament: where did you hear about it?
11. Did you ever recommend Crawl to someone?
12. Which computer game played most in the last month (July)?

Many thanks,
crawlpoll

Message has been deleted

j19sch

Aug 20, 2009, 1:50:28 PM8/20/09
to craw...@gmail.com
> 1. What is you age?
27

> 2. Which country do you live in?

Netherlands

> 3. Do you play locally, on a server or both?

Both, mostly local (on the train from work).

> 4. Do you play Tiles or ASCII or both?

ASCII

> 5. Which Operating Systems do you use at home?

Linux (Ubuntu 8.04)

> 6. Which Roguelikes have you played before? (Nethack, ADOM, Angbandetc.)

ADOM, bit of Angband, even less Nethack.

> 7. Where did you learn about Crawl?

Don't remember.

> 8. And when?
Don't remember either. Before Stone Soup.

> 9. How often did you win Crawl? (If none, you may specify your best game.)

Never.
Best game: MDFi, worshiped Nemelex, drowned when his levitation ran
out in the deepest level of the Elven halls :-)

> 10. If you take part in the Crawl tournament: where did you hear about it?

Don't take part.

> 11. Did you ever recommend Crawl to someone?

Once, to an ADOM playing friend.

> 12. Which computer game played most in the last month (July)?

DCSS.

Bat-Blind

Aug 20, 2009, 2:49:35 PM8/20/09
> 1. What is you age?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------22
> 2. Which country do you live in?---------------------------------------------------------------------------Moldova
> 3. Do you play locally, on a server or both?------------------------------------------------------------Locally
> 4. Do you play Tiles or ASCII or both?-------------------------------------------------------------------ASCII
> 5. Which Operating Systems do you use at home?------------------------------------------------Windows XP
> 6. Which Roguelikes have you played before? (Nethack, ADOM, Angbandetc.)---------Moria, Adom, Angband, Crawl, -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Nethack, DoomRL
> 7. Where did you learn about Crawl?---------------------------------------------------------------------roguelikedevelopment.org
> 8. And when?------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------2003-2004
> 9. How often did you win Crawl? (If none, you may specify your best game.)-------------Chaos Knight Level 19
> 10. If you take part in the Crawl tournament: where did you hear about it?-----------------No
> 11. Did you ever recommend Crawl to someone?----------------------------------------------------Yes
> 12. Which computer game played most in the last month (July)?-----------------------------Mount & Blade

Message has been deleted

Elig

Aug 20, 2009, 3:40:53 PM8/20/09
On Aug 19, 4:33 pm, David Ploog <pl...@mi.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> out of a whim we started a poll on the IRC channel ##crawl. Lots of
> players already replied and it would be nice to have input from other
> channels as well. So here it goes to Usenet.
>
> 12 questions; evaluation will be anonymous and statistics will be posted
> here. Please send replies to
>
> crawlp...@gmail.com

> 1. What is you age?
> 2. Which country do you live in?
> 3. Do you play locally, on a server or both?
> 4. Do you play Tiles or ASCII or both?
> 5. Which Operating Systems do you use at home?
> 6. Which Roguelikes have you played before? (Nethack, ADOM, Angbandetc.)
> 7. Where did you learn about Crawl?
> 8. And when?
> 9. How often did you win Crawl? (If none, you may specify your best game.)
> 10. If you take part in the Crawl tournament: where did you hear about it?
> 11. Did you ever recommend Crawl to someone?
> 12. Which computer game played most in the last month (July)?
>
> Many thanks,
> crawlpoll

As an avid crawl player, I must answer:

1. 23
2. USA, California to be exact
3. Locally on Ubuntu Linux.
4. Only ever ascii.
5. Ubuntu Linux full time. No windows, no dualboot.
6. Almost all of them? The big ones, Nethack, Angband, ZAngband,
Moria, ADOM, Alphaman, MAngband, TOME, DoomRL, CastlevaniaRL,
MetroidRL, Rogue, Slave to Armok: God of Blood, Kharne, too many more
to properly list.
7. My brother was really into crawl way before I was. Then I finally
broke down and started playing. Been addicted ever since.
8. I started playing about four years ago, but had resisted playing
for a long time before that.
9. I can usually get some pretty good equipment before I die with my
MiBe. <3 berserk.
10. There's a tournament?
11. Not that I can specifically remember.
12. Sauerbraten

Ed

Aug 20, 2009, 9:32:37 PM8/20/09
> 1. What is you age?
25

> 2. Which country do you live in?

USA

> 3. Do you play locally, on a server or both?

Locally

> 4. Do you play Tiles or ASCII or both?

Tiles

> 5. Which Operating Systems do you use at home?

Windows Vista

> 6. Which Roguelikes have you played before? (Nethack, ADOM, Angbandetc.)

Pretty much all of 'em, except the REALLY old ones...

> 7. Where did you learn about Crawl?

Don't recall...

> 8. And when?
Don't recall...

> 9. How often did you win Crawl? (If none, you may specify your best game.)

Never... and what are these "runes" people keep talking about? ;)

> 10. If you take part in the Crawl tournament: where did you hear about it?

I haven't taken part.

> 11. Did you ever recommend Crawl to someone?

My brother, I think... but he never got into it :(

> 12. Which computer game played most in the last month (July)?

Space Empires V

Message has been deleted

b0rsuk

Aug 21, 2009, 5:53:43 AM8/21/09
On 20 Sie, 01:33, David Ploog <pl...@mi.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> evaluation will be anonymous and statistics will be posted
> here. Please send replies to
>

> crawlp...@gmail.com

This.

David Ploog

Aug 21, 2009, 10:31:22 AM8/21/09

This is my fault and I apologise. Users more familiar with this new web
2.5 technology would have set up a webpage or used a proper Reply-To or
whatever.

I hope you will enjoy the statistics.

David

David Damerell

Aug 21, 2009, 11:19:25 AM8/21/09

Get a newsreader? The article as written had a proper email address in.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Yesterday was Aponoia, August.

b0rsuk

Aug 21, 2009, 2:56:26 PM8/21/09
On Aug 21, 5:19 pm, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> Get a newsreader?

No thanks. Next time before you assume I'm clueless, read messages
carefully and don't let yourself be confused by dpeg. It doesn't
matter that my repply had garbled @mail (thanks to google news). All I
wanted to show is that *the original* post contained an adress to send
mails to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawman

David Damerell

Aug 21, 2009, 3:39:51 PM8/21/09
Quoting b0rsuk <jaz...@gmail.com>:
>On Aug 21, 5:19pm, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
>>Get a newsreader?

>carefully and don't let yourself be confused by dpeg. It doesn't
>matter that my repply had garbled @mail (thanks to google news). All I
>wanted to show is that *the original* post contained an adress to send
>mails to.

That might have been more obvious if you'd followed up to a misdirected
reply and not mangled the email address. As you would not have done if you
were using a newsreader not a useless Web interface.

Cuboidz

Aug 21, 2009, 4:32:51 PM8/21/09
On 21 aug, 21:39, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> That might have been more obvious if you'd followed up to a misdirected
> reply and not mangled the email address. As you would not have done if you
> were using a newsreader not a useless Web interface.

Can you recommend a good newsreader? Preferably one that has a spam
filter. Reading rec.games.roguelike.development using Google Groups is
frustrating.

XenoTheMorph

Aug 21, 2009, 4:38:43 PM8/21/09
On Aug 21, 8:39 pm, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> Quoting  b0rsuk  <jaze...@gmail.com>:
>
> >On Aug 21, 5:19pm, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
> >>Get a newsreader?
> >carefully and don't let yourself be confused by dpeg. It doesn't
> >matter that my repply had garbled @mail (thanks to google news). All I
> >wanted to show is that *the original* post contained an adress to send
> >mails to.
>
> That might have been more obvious if you'd followed up to a misdirected
> reply and not mangled the email address. As you would not have done if you
> were using a newsreader not a useless Web interface.
> --

Well I've I had many a 'proper' newsreader over the years and what do
I prefer?
This 'useless' web interface! Why?
The convenience is very much worth the MINOR* issues it has. So stop
being such a jerk with your personal crusade... people don't mind you
having an opinion but they do get annoyed with your broken record
ranting. I expect that many of your issues had more merit in the past,
and now they are much less so, I'd advise you to look into all of them
again (with a fresh mindset) to see if they are not so much of an
issue now.
Not that considering your repeatedly repeated repetition that you
could possibly change your mind (it is yours to do so with as you
like), but I would hope you would get a little less dogmatic about
what Must Be & what Must Not Be.

*such as having to enter a captcha to get the full email (as a quite
sensible precaution, more so that it is so easy for bots to access
this web interface. Not that they can't just get the same way you do,
but most don't.). I admit this is one of the more minor ones, but
still it is what you are rudely (to the others here) making an issue
about.

Derek Ray

Aug 21, 2009, 5:35:03 PM8/21/09

slrn.

--
Derek

Game info and change log: http://sporkhack.com
Beta Server: telnet://sporkhack.com
IRC: irc.freenode.net, #sporkhack

Cuboidz

Aug 22, 2009, 4:58:01 AM8/22/09
On 21 aug, 23:35, Derek Ray <de...@moot.its.only.a.spamtrap.org>
wrote:

> slrn.

ACK! I failed to enable the spam filter. Maybe I should run my own
news server, instead ...

David Damerell

Aug 22, 2009, 11:47:49 AM8/22/09
Quoting XenoTheMorph <xenoth...@gmail.com>:
>On Aug 21, 8:39=A0pm, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
>>reply and not mangled the email address. As you would not have done if yo=

Just look at this mangled line.

>Well I've I had many a 'proper' newsreader over the years and what do
>I prefer?
>This 'useless' web interface! Why?

Because you don't give a shit if your articles come out looking awful,
apparently.

>being such a jerk with your personal crusade... people don't mind you
>having an opinion but they do get annoyed with your broken record
>ranting.

Um. I don't doubt I whined about Google Groups a month or so ago. Its
users post mangled articles every day. Who's a broken record?
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Oil is for sissies
Yesterday was Epithumia, August - a weekend.

Dis Connected

Aug 22, 2009, 1:49:17 PM8/22/09
> 1. What is you age?

My nemesis.

> 2. Which country do you live in?

Denmark.

> 3. Do you play locally, on a server or both?

locally.

> 4. Do you play Tiles or ASCII or both?

Tiles.

> 5. Which Operating Systems do you use at home?

XP & Ubuntu, probably Win7 in the near future.

> 6. Which Roguelikes have you played before? (Nethack, ADOM, Angbandetc.)

A great many. Slash 'Em and Nethack are my favourite alternatives to
Stone Soup.

> 7. Where did you learn about Crawl?

While trawling for roguelikes, which I do once or twice a year.

> 8. And when?

Crawl or Stone Soup? I played Crawl towards the end of development
('02-'03 or so). I think I've been playing Stone Soup since the first
release.

> 9. How often did you win Crawl? (If none, you may specify your best game.)

Never. If nothing else does, the Elven Halls kill me.

> 10. If you take part in the Crawl tournament: where did you hear about it?

I didn't.

> 11. Did you ever recommend Crawl to someone?

Sure.

> 12. Which computer game played most in the last month (July)?

Blood Bowl probably.

XenoTheMorph

Aug 22, 2009, 3:46:42 PM8/22/09
On Aug 22, 4:47 pm, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> Quoting  XenoTheMorph  <xenothemo...@gmail.com>:
>
> >On Aug 21, 8:39=A0pm, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
> >>reply and not mangled the email address. As you would not have done if yo=
>
> Just look at this mangled line.
>
> >Well I've I had many a 'proper' newsreader over the years and what do
> >I prefer?
> >This 'useless' web interface! Why?
>
> Because you don't give a shit if your articles come out looking awful,
> apparently.

In most cases they don't get that mangled (especially using groups to
view them) and in a 'proper' newsreader you can normally adjust your
display so that it will remove/stop most of them as well.
In this environment you can get worse mangling by setting you
newsreader up incorrectly, indeed the worst mangling I've seen* has
been from people who do just that. Yes it is rarer but much much
worse.

*using groups & other newsreaders

> >being such a jerk with your personal crusade... people don't mind you
> >having an opinion but they do get annoyed with your broken record
> >ranting.
>
> Um. I don't doubt I whined about Google Groups a month or so ago. Its
> users post mangled articles every day. Who's a broken record?

Everyone else? I don't think so.
Your repeated whining is just an annoyance as it will have no effect
on google groups and it just creates a negative atmosphere. Why whine
in such a (generally rude to others) manner when it has no effect.
Send the complaints to google as they are the only ones who can do
anything about it (yes I know you probably have and with no feedback,
but why make us, the readers & other posters, lives a misery?).
Act in a more mature manner, I know it is easy to slip into immature
action online (especially if you have a bee in your bonnet. Valid or
Not) but that is NO excuse. Act your age.

Derek Ray

Aug 22, 2009, 6:13:18 PM8/22/09
On 2009-08-22, XenoTheMorph <xenoth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Your repeated whining is just an annoyance as it will have no effect
> on google groups and it just creates a negative atmosphere. Why whine
> in such a (generally rude to others) manner when it has no effect.
> Send the complaints to google as they are the only ones who can do
> anything about it (yes I know you probably have and with no feedback,
> but why make us, the readers & other posters, lives a misery?).

So you'll quit using a broken interface to communicate with others...
one that DAMAGES YOUR MESSAGE... and find a real one?

Alternately, you can do as b0rsuk did, and whine when people point out
that the busted interface made his message confusing, and claim it's
'their fault' for not adjusting to people using a busted interface.

Protip: It's YOUR responsibility to ensure that YOUR communication
reaches others' ears in the intended form if you want it to be heard.
If you use a busted interface, that's fine, but don't complain when
people gripe that you're using a busted interface and it makes your
stuff a pain to read.

XenoTheMorph

Aug 22, 2009, 9:21:41 PM8/22/09
On Aug 22, 11:13 pm, Derek Ray <de...@moot.its.only.a.spamtrap.org>
wrote:

> On 2009-08-22, XenoTheMorph <xenothemo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Your repeated whining is just an annoyance as it will have no effect
> > on google groups and it just creates a negative atmosphere. Why whine
> > in such a (generally rude to others) manner when it has no effect.
> > Send the complaints to google as they are the only ones who can do
> > anything about it (yes I know you probably have and with no feedback,
> > but why make us, the readers & other posters, lives a misery?).
>
> So you'll quit using a broken interface to communicate with others...
> one that DAMAGES YOUR MESSAGE... and find a real one?
>
> Alternately, you can do as b0rsuk did, and whine when people point out
> that the busted interface made his message confusing, and claim it's
> 'their fault' for not adjusting to people using a busted interface.
>
> Protip: It's YOUR responsibility to ensure that YOUR communication
> reaches others' ears in the intended form if you want it to be heard.
> If you use a busted interface, that's fine, but don't complain when
> people gripe that you're using a busted interface and it makes your
> stuff a pain to read.

It is not a busted interface it is less buggy than many 'proper'
newsreaders I have used in the past.
You people who continue to bitch about this issue (repeatedly... an
occasional comment is not issue but the way that David Demerell and
yourself approach the problem is not the solution). The issues Are
minor and normally none (depending on your settings at YOUR end). My
communications are perfectly legible to almost the entirety of the
people reading these groups (even excluding those using goggle), if
you have a significant (not something a feeble as the 'broken' email
display in google groups, which I think is actually a useful and
almost require feature considering*) problem and the majority of
others do not, it is YOUR responsibility to either live with it or fix
it at your end (get another newsreader or find a way to change your
settings, which should be doable for at least some of these problems
you have).

Oh, and in case you didn't notice my comments before (or I was
insufficiently clear) I do have a separate newsreader. I don't use it
much as Groups is convenient and rarely do I require any of the more
advanced features that goggle does not provide, but it is definitely
useful. I would advise others to get one if they don't already (ask
around for a good one for your platform, or one that is similar in its
interface to some other software you use regularly) and use it
exclusively for a while to see when it might be more useful to use
than Groups. (not to avoid the 'broken' google groups but to
supplement it when it is not feature rich enough for your current
use)

*Basically if you don't like the way some of the things work (when
they are not actually broken and they can be seen by others as useful
or advancements) it may just be that you don't like change. Fair
enough nobody likes every change even if it is better for most, but
live quietly with it or speak to the APPROPRIATE people, such as
google don't pollute the very medium you seek to protect!

Well that is everything from me, I've stated my piece many times here
and if I continue I'll be causing more of the issue I'm trying to
stop. I will read any reply (I'd advise if you do to keep it swift and
to the point, this thread has been derailed enough) but will not reply
myself as it would be pointless (as I expected, but I live in vain
hope some days) and just frustrate me even more.

Derek Ray

Aug 22, 2009, 10:20:14 PM8/22/09
On 2009-08-23, XenoTheMorph <xenoth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 22, 11:13 pm, Derek Ray <de...@moot.its.only.a.spamtrap.org>
>> Protip: It's YOUR responsibility to ensure that YOUR communication
>> reaches others' ears in the intended form if you want it to be heard.
>> If you use a busted interface, that's fine, but don't complain when
>> people gripe that you're using a busted interface and it makes your
>> stuff a pain to read.
>
> It is not a busted interface it is less buggy than many 'proper'
> newsreaders I have used in the past.

It's a busted interface and a piece of junk. Just because you can't
find a good newsreader doesn't mean they don't exist; end of story.

> My communications are perfectly legible to almost the entirety of the
> people reading these groups

50+ lines worth of excuses and you still don't get it.

Congratulations -- you fail at communication, but succeed at "lazy".
Do not pass Go, do not collect $200, go directly to FAIL.

Timofei Shatrov

Aug 23, 2009, 3:51:15 PM8/23/09
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 01:33:06 +0200, David Ploog <pl...@mi.fu-berlin.de> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>Hi folks,
>
>out of a whim we started a poll on the IRC channel ##crawl. Lots of
>players already replied and it would be nice to have input from other
>channels as well. So here it goes to Usenet.
>
>12 questions; evaluation will be anonymous and statistics will be posted
>here. Please send replies to
>
>craw...@gmail.com
>
>1. What is you age?

24

>2. Which country do you live in?

Russia

>3. Do you play locally, on a server or both?

Locally

>4. Do you play Tiles or ASCII or both?

ASCII all the way

>5. Which Operating Systems do you use at home?

Windows XP

>6. Which Roguelikes have you played before? (Nethack, ADOM, Angbandetc.)

All of them, but mostly ADOM

>7. Where did you learn about Crawl?

On Usenet

>8. And when?

Don't remember. It was when Brett Ross maintained it and before that horribly
hard beta was released.

>9. How often did you win Crawl? (If none, you may specify your best game.)

Once.

>10. If you take part in the Crawl tournament: where did you hear about it?

N/A

>11. Did you ever recommend Crawl to someone?

yes

>12. Which computer game played most in the last month (July)?

Quake Live probably.

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... | ue il |
|But we can take them on! | @ma |
| (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip) |______________|

David Damerell

Aug 24, 2009, 9:32:46 AM8/24/09
Quoting XenoTheMorph <xenoth...@gmail.com>:
>Send the complaints to google as they are the only ones who can do
>anything about it

Wrong. _You_ can do something about it; take responsibility for your own
actions - for the formatting of the articles _you_ post. No-one else can
do that.

--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?

Yesterday was First Monday, August.
Today is First Tuesday, August.
Tomorrow will be First Wednesday, August.