YAVP: ForlornHope the Demonspawn Ice Elementalist

ste...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2006, 5:28:08 PM7/27/06
Fifth victory. First time doing the hells. I picked up the Icy and
Obsidian runes, but I got bored(as often happens to me late in the game
when my characters are already secure) so I decided to retire
ForlornHope.

Two of the best items I found were "Tisof" a randart ring giving fire,
cold protection, +2 strength and an amulet of the Gourmand--both in the
same shop on D: 15. The ring solidified my resistances for the whole
game, allowing me to forego the robe of resistance I found for the
elven fire resistance ring mail. The amulet of the gourmand let me use
Channel Energy and crystal spear aggressively. No ring of ice though. I
did find two rings of fire, two katanas and a triple sword tho, hehe.

The other great items I found were the +2 cloak of preservation and the
boots of levitation on Elf 7. I wore them for the rest of the game. The
Ring Mail was nice--the +3 AC compared to a robe makes a difference in
the mid game, though later on I'd rather trade that for another level
of cold protection. The ring mail was +0 or +1 when I found it--I
lucked into a bonanza or enchant armour scrolls this game. Perhaps 15
in total. Maybe if I didn't find all those scrolls I would have
appreciated the +3 AC more.

The Demonspawn mutations I received were quite favorable. The "* You
cover the ground quickly." mutation is one of the very best mutations
along with torment resistance. The fire breathing helped me early in
the game and the +3 EV was helpful all the way through.

The Pandemonium banishment was used once after I got banished to the
abyss while in Cocytus and hit with a torment and an iron bolt from
some invisible *something*(I still don't know what it was--Ancient
Lich?). First time in Pan-- I like it a lot better than the Abyss
because you can use explore function, hehe.

Hells weren't too bad. I did Gehenna and Cocytus. Regeneration and
Channel energy were key, along with the various divinations. Crystal
Spear was the workhorse as usual. Oh yeah, Ice Storm owned the Snake
Pit, Swamp and Elven Halls just like Firestorm. It makes sense that
Brent is toning down enhancers in 4.1

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

ForlornHope the Annihilator

Race : Demonspawn Res.Fire : + + . See Invis. : .
Class : Ice Elementalist Res.Cold : + . . Warding : .
Worship : Vehumet Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : +
Level : 27 Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : +
Exp : 1619158 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .

Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 9 Res.Mut. : + Ctrl.Telep.: +
Gold : 3779 Res.Slow : . Levitation : +
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : 165
MP : 33/46
Str : 19 Weapon : +8,+7 demon trident (flame)
Int : 25 Armour : +7 elf ring mail (R-fire)
Dex : 13 Shield :
AC : 24 Helmet : +2 winged helmet
Evasion : 19 Cloak : +2 cloak (preserve)
Shield : 0 Gloves : +2 pair of gloves (str)
Boots : +2 pair of boots (levitate)
Play time : 12:19:56 Amulet : amulet of resist mutation
Turns : 172260 Ring : ring "Tisof"
Ring : ring of teleport control

You escaped.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is exalted by your worship.
You are hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
b - a +8,+7 demon trident of flaming (weapon) (6818 gold)
(You took it off Adolf on level 7 of the Vaults)
c - a +2,+3 quick blade (782 gold)
(You found it on level 16 of the Dungeon)
Z - the +7,+7 Sceptre of Asmodeus (1500 gold)
(You took it off Asmodeus on level 7 of Gehenna)
It carries some of the powers of the arch-fiend Asmodeus.

Armour
g - a +2 pair of gloves of strength (worn) (201 gold)
(You found it in Pandemonium)
A - a +2 pair of boots of levitation (worn) (218 gold)
(You found it on level 7 of the Elven Halls)
O - a +2 winged helmet (worn) (162 gold)
(You found it on level 6 of the Lair)
W - a +7 elven ring mail of fire resistance (worn) (1364 gold)
(You took it off a deep elf priest on level 4 of the Elven Halls)
X - a +2 cloak of preservation (worn) (191 gold)
(You found it on level 7 of the Elven Halls)
Magical devices
m - a wand of teleportation (7) (72 gold)
o - a wand of digging (2) (42 gold)
r - a wand of cold (7) (108 gold)
D - a wand of fire (8) (117 gold)
E - a wand of hasting (11) (144 gold)
H - a wand of teleportation (6) (66 gold)
Comestibles
x - 5 royal jellies (600 gold)
Scrolls
s - 3 scrolls of remove curse (90 gold)
v - 4 scrolls of identify (80 gold)
z - a scroll of magic mapping (35 gold)
K - 6 scrolls of blinking (180 gold)
T - 3 scrolls of summoning (285 gold)
V - 4 scrolls of teleportation (120 gold)
Jewellery
i - a ring of regeneration (525 gold)
l - a +5 ring of protection (420 gold)
p - a ring of poison resistance (210 gold)
q - a ring of teleport control (left hand) (294 gold)
B - a ring of see invisible (140 gold)
G - an amulet of controlled flight (175 gold)
(You found it on level 8 of the Vaults)
I - a +4 ring of intelligence (350 gold)
L - the ring "Tisof" (right hand) (392 gold)
(You bought it in a shop on level 15 of the Dungeon)
This ring provides protection from cold.
It affects your strength (+2).
It affects your accuracy (-2).
It protects you from fire.

P - the amulet of Eryfomymyq Xer (490 gold)
(You found it on level 8 of the Vaults)
This amulet allows its wearer to consume meat in various states of
decay
without suffering unduly as a result. Poisonous or cursed flesh is
still
not recommended.
It greatly protects you from cold.

R - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck) (210 gold)
(You found it on level 2 of the Snake Pit)
U - the amulet of Cekugob (623 gold)
(You found it on level 8 of the Vaults)
This amulet repels some of the attacks of creatures which have been
magically summoned.
It affects your AC (+1).
It affects your evasion (+1).
It insulates you from electricity.
It protects you from poison.
It partially protects you from negative energy.
It prevents most forms of teleportation.
It speeds your metabolism.

Potions
f - a potion of heal wounds (30 gold)
t - 4 potions of healing (80 gold)
M - a potion of invisibility (55 gold)
Books
n - a manual of Polearms (1150 gold)
(You found it on level 4 of the Hive)
Magical staves
a - a staff of conjuration (250 gold)
(You acquired it on level 15 of the Dungeon)
y - a staff of summoning (250 gold)
(You found it on level 7 of the Elven Halls)
Orbs of Power
h - the Orb of Zot (250000 gold)
(You found it on level 5 of the Realm of Zot)
Miscellaneous
e - the horn of Geryon (5000 gold)
(You took it off Geryon in the Vestibule of Hell)
u - a serpentine rune of Zot (10000 gold)
(You found it on level 5 of the Snake Pit)
C - a stone of earth elementals (500 gold)
(You found it in Pandemonium)
F - an obsidian rune of Zot (10000 gold)
(You found it on level 7 of Gehenna)
J - an icy rune of Zot (10000 gold)
(You found it on level 7 of Cocytus)
N - a silver rune of Zot (10000 gold)
(You found it on level 8 of the Vaults)
S - a decaying rune of Zot (10000 gold)
(You found it on level 5 of the Swamp)

You have 3 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 6 Fighting
+ Level 12 Polearms
- Level 4 Staves
+ Level 6 Armour
+ Level 13 Dodging
+ Level 5 Stealth
- Level 1 Shields
+ Level 20 Spellcasting
* Level 27 Conjurations
- Level 3 Enchantments
- Level 1 Summonings
- Level 1 Necromancy
- Level 3 Divinations
- Level 13 Ice Magic
+ Level 19 Earth Magic
- Level 10 Invocations
+ Level 4 Evocations

You have 9 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Abjuration Summoning Very Good 3
b - Regeneration Enchantment/Necromancy Great 3
c - Ozocubu's Armour Ice/Enchantment Excellent 3
d - Detect Creatures Divination Great 2
e - Magic Mapping Earth/Divination Excellent 4
f - Bolt of Cold Ice/Conjuration Perfect 5
g - Detect Traps Divination Great 2
h - Iskenderun's Mystic Blast Conjuration Perfect 4
i - Ice Storm Ice/Conjuration Fair 9
j - Blink Translocation Great 2
l - Lehudib's Crystal Spear Earth/Conjuration Great 8
m - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Great 2
n - Tomb of Doroklohe Earth/Conjuration Excellent 7
o - Selective Amnesia Enchantment Great 3

Mutations & Other Weirdness
* You are surrounded by a moderate repulsion field (ev + 3).
* You cover the ground quickly.
* You are good at teleporting at will.
* You can breathe fire.
* You can call on the torments of Hell.
* You can travel to (but not from) Pandemonium at will.

Last Messages

The crystal spear hits the rat.
You kill the rat!
Are you sure you want to leave the Dungeon?
You have escaped!

#........#.#.....##.#######
#.####.#.#.#...............
#.#....#.#.#.....##.#######
#.#.##.#.#.#......#.#
#.#.#....#.#.#+##.#.#
#.#....#.#.#....#.#.#
##.#.............#.#.####
#..#.###.##.####.#.#....#
##.#.#.....@...#r..####.#
#.#.#.#######.#...####.#
#.#.#.#.....#.#........#
#.#.#.#.##.##.#...######
#.#.#.#.......#....r...#
##.#.#.####.####...####.#
#...........# ########.#
##.###.######### #....#
#...#.........# #....#

Vanquished Creatures
Antaeus (Coc:7)
Asmodeus (Geh:7)
An orb of fire (Zot:5)
A Serpent of Hell (Geh:7)
2 ancient liches (Zot:5)

These guys came out of nowhere--crossed Zot and Blade traps and met me
on my way back from a banishment. I'm lucky they went down to crystal
spear without too much trouble.

Yqmnalialy (Pan)
Ysklaluaguwady (Pan)

Those have to be random names... I thought one of them would give me a
rune, but no dice.

Geryon (Hell)
Adolf (Vault:7)
Xtahua (D:24)
7 electric golems
Fokig (Pan)
19 Orb Guardians (Zot:5)

That's a lot, isn't it?

pl...@zio.mathematik.hu-berlin.de

Jul 28, 2006, 9:16:05 AM7/28/06
ste...@gmail.com schrieb:

> Fifth victory. First time doing the hells. I picked up the Icy and
> Obsidian runes, but I got bored(as often happens to me late in the game
> when my characters are already secure) so I decided to retire
> ForlornHope.

Congratulations. As someone who just did hells first time: why did you
get bored? I found them exciting. The torments, pain, banishment (not
to mention the rots) somehow make clear that it's not your usual "I'm
buff and kill anything that moves"-place. Actually, in my try I later
skipped exploring the full levels and just pressed on because the ratio
of food consumption by healing after torments or abyss trips vs
explored area was biased strongly to my disadvantage. And I found all
the final levels interesting, but that's possibly only first time.

> The Pandemonium banishment was used once after I got banished to the
> abyss while in Cocytus and hit with a torment and an iron bolt from
> some invisible *something*(I still don't know what it was--Ancient
> Lich?). First time in Pan-- I like it a lot better than the Abyss
> because you can use explore function, hehe.

The readme of Darshan's Patch explicitly says: Don't use explore in
dangerous areas :) Of course, I always do. It's probably only written
there to avoid legal claims.

> b - a +8,+7 demon trident of flaming (weapon) (6818 gold)
> (You took it off Adolf on level 7 of the Vaults)

Did you use this seriously?

> X - a +2 cloak of preservation (worn) (191 gold)
> (You found it on level 7 of the Elven Halls)

This is great. Makes the trip to Elf 7 worth the trouble.

> Magical devices
> m - a wand of teleportation (7) (72 gold)
> o - a wand of digging (2) (42 gold)
> r - a wand of cold (7) (108 gold)
> D - a wand of fire (8) (117 gold)
> E - a wand of hasting (11) (144 gold)
> H - a wand of teleportation (6) (66 gold)

Where these used?

> K - 6 scrolls of blinking (180 gold)

Aha.

> q - a ring of teleport control (left hand) (294 gold)

Only for the rush up?

> L - the ring "Tisof" (right hand) (392 gold)
> (You bought it in a shop on level 15 of the Dungeon)
> This ring provides protection from cold.
> It affects your strength (+2).
> It affects your accuracy (-2).
> It protects you from fire.

More killer stuff.

> U - the amulet of Cekugob (623 gold)
> (You found it on level 8 of the Vaults)
> This amulet repels some of the attacks of creatures which have been
> magically summoned.
> It affects your AC (+1).
> It affects your evasion (+1).
> It insulates you from electricity.
> It protects you from poison.
> It partially protects you from negative energy.
> It prevents most forms of teleportation.
> It speeds your metabolism.

What's your opinion on this? I had it once, asked here, rejected it,
then died to electricity :)

> F - an obsidian rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> (You found it on level 7 of Gehenna)
> J - an icy rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> (You found it on level 7 of Cocytus)
> N - a silver rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> (You found it on level 8 of the Vaults)
> S - a decaying rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> (You found it on level 5 of the Swamp)

With your cloak you could have a peek at Slime. So much XP, it isn't
funny.

> - Level 1 Shields

Accident?

> * You are surrounded by a moderate repulsion field (ev + 3).
> * You cover the ground quickly.
> * You are good at teleporting at will.
> * You can breathe fire.
> * You can call on the torments of Hell.
> * You can travel to (but not from) Pandemonium at will.

A good set. With the first one highest level, it would be incredible.
Ever used the torments? Now I also see the need for the teleport
control ring.

> The crystal spear hits the rat.
> You kill the rat!

This is unfair!

> 2 ancient liches (Zot:5)
>
> These guys came out of nowhere--crossed Zot and Blade traps and met me
> on my way back from a banishment. I'm lucky they went down to crystal
> spear without too much trouble.

Yes, these can cause trouble. Coming from Nethack, I always expect the
worst.

Good job!
David

will...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2006, 11:38:10 AM7/28/06
pl...@zio.mathematik.hu-berlin.de wrote:
> ste...@gmail.com schrieb:
>
> > Fifth victory. First time doing the hells. I picked up the Icy and
> > Obsidian runes, but I got bored(as often happens to me late in the game
> > when my characters are already secure) so I decided to retire
> > ForlornHope.
>
> Congratulations. As someone who just did hells first time: why did you
> get bored? I found them exciting. The torments, pain, banishment (not
> to mention the rots) somehow make clear that it's not your usual "I'm
> buff and kill anything that moves"-place.

I really enjoy the early-midgame, when the character is still being
built up and has deadly equipment/skill holes. After a certain
point(maybe right after I get 2 runes), I start playing extremely
paranoid to lock up the victory. I play so cautiously that it drains
some of the life out of the game, though I guess I have lost 3/8 of my
2+ rune characters--two to instadeath and one to hubris.

In Hell, I would cast Magic Mapping, Detect Creatures, Detect Traps,
move to nearest downstairs, pray+crystal spear, then channel+double
regen(spell and ring) after every battle. Sure, it's smart strategy,
but it's repetitive and it takes a

> > b - a +8,+7 demon trident of flaming (weapon) (6818 gold)
> > (You took it off Adolf on level 7 of the Vaults)
>
> Did you use this seriously?

All the skill is from a manual. I used it a bit in Pandemonium against
the hordes of minor demons a bit. I started using it in anticipation of
a long endgame--ice/earth is not the best for crowd control.

> > Magical devices
> > m - a wand of teleportation (7) (72 gold)
> > o - a wand of digging (2) (42 gold)
> > r - a wand of cold (7) (108 gold)
> > D - a wand of fire (8) (117 gold)
> > E - a wand of hasting (11) (144 gold)
> > H - a wand of teleportation (6) (66 gold)
>
> Where these used?

> > q - a ring of teleport control (left hand) (294 gold)

> Only for the rush up?

I didn't use it on the way up, but yes. Though I always carry it once I
find one.

> > U - the amulet of Cekugob (623 gold)
> > (You found it on level 8 of the Vaults)
> > This amulet repels some of the attacks of creatures which have been
> > magically summoned.
> > It affects your AC (+1).
> > It affects your evasion (+1).
> > It insulates you from electricity.
> > It protects you from poison.
> > It partially protects you from negative energy.
> > It prevents most forms of teleportation.
> > It speeds your metabolism.
>
> What's your opinion on this? I had it once, asked here, rejected it,
> then died to electricity :)

I like to have a source of "prevents teleportation" on me at all times
once I find one. It's especially useful in Zot: 5, but it can save a
lost game if you get teleportitis.

> > F - an obsidian rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> > (You found it on level 7 of Gehenna)
> > J - an icy rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> > (You found it on level 7 of Cocytus)
> > N - a silver rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> > (You found it on level 8 of the Vaults)
> > S - a decaying rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> > (You found it on level 5 of the Swamp)
>
> With your cloak you could have a peek at Slime. So much XP, it isn't
> funny.

I could easily clear Slime and sure there's lots of XP, but *why* mess
with it? I've already cleared it several times before and my character
was already complete for the most part. I guess I miss the point of the
extended endgame.

> > - Level 1 Shields
>
> Accident?

Early on I found a flail/shield combo with added AC/EV/Resistance taht
I used for awhile. I turned it off when it reached level 1.

> > * You are surrounded by a moderate repulsion field (ev + 3).
> > * You cover the ground quickly.
> > * You are good at teleporting at will.
> > * You can breathe fire.
> > * You can call on the torments of Hell.
> > * You can travel to (but not from) Pandemonium at will.
>
> A good set. With the first one highest level, it would be incredible.
> Ever used the torments? Now I also see the need for the teleport
> control ring.

Torment is probably the worst mutation in the game. Not only is it
useless IME, it prevents you from getting the *best* mutation(torment
resistance).

Denis

Jul 28, 2006, 11:56:39 AM7/28/06

will...@gmail.com wrote:
> pl...@zio.mathematik.hu-berlin.de wrote:
> > ste...@gmail.com schrieb:
> >
> > > Fifth victory. First time doing the hells. I picked up the Icy and
> > > Obsidian runes, but I got bored(as often happens to me late in the game
> > > when my characters are already secure) so I decided to retire
> > > ForlornHope.
> >
> > Congratulations. As someone who just did hells first time: why did you
> > get bored? I found them exciting. The torments, pain, banishment (not
> > to mention the rots) somehow make clear that it's not your usual "I'm
> > buff and kill anything that moves"-place.
>
> I really enjoy the early-midgame, when the character is still being
> built up and has deadly equipment/skill holes. After a certain
> point(maybe right after I get 2 runes), I start playing extremely
> paranoid to lock up the victory. I play so cautiously that it drains
> some of the life out of the game, though I guess I have lost 3/8 of my
> 2+ rune characters--two to instadeath and one to hubris.
>
> In Hell, I would cast Magic Mapping, Detect Creatures, Detect Traps,
> move to nearest downstairs, pray+crystal spear, then channel+double
> regen(spell and ring) after every battle. Sure, it's smart strategy,
> but it's repetitive and it takes a

You've gotta let yourself go a bit and rampage around for extra fun!
Try fighting a Hell demon with 5 HP and having the god save your life 3
times in a row :D
I actually play more and more relaxed as the game goes on and try to
push the character as far as he will go -- just going to Zot for the
Orb seems a bit boring. That's probably why I lose most of my level 27
guys.