[DCSS] Comparing attacks

Arccos

Apr 11, 2010, 6:32:44 AM4/11/10
When playing, I often don't know if I should, for instance, use a dagger I
found or stick with my ghoul's unarmed attack. Is there an easy way to
identify hit percentages and how much damage a particular attack will do?

JaySwa

Apr 11, 2010, 2:48:30 PM4/11/10
good question. from what i understand, you basically wanna use the
weapon you're most skilled with, and the one that has the best bonuses
or inherent traits. like say you have skill in short swords (which
includes that dagger you asked about). so you find this dagger, if you
JUST found it it probably hasnt revealed its stats yet. after using a
weapon enough, or having enough skill in it (Level 4 or 5 in a weapon
skill and a few swings will reveal its stats pretty quickly)... anyway
you'll eventually find out its stats. so you use it, find out it's a
regular dagger, +0+0. but say ur short sword skill is like 3 or 4, and
unarmed is 1. you should use that dagger until you find a better one.
and also, weapons dont have to be glowing, or even appear special at
all to be AWESOME. so if you find some random dagger, you can pick it
up and check it out. any special traits like Fire, Ice, Dragon
Slaying, Protection.... will pop up and be known immediately, as soon
as you equip that weapon. And also, then you will find out if it's
cursed... so beware of weapons you know nothing about. especially if
say you have an awesome weapon, and keep trying out all the new ones
you find lying around. chances are quickly you'll pick up a crappy
cursed one, and be SCREWED. so, before trying out all these weapons,
make sure you have a Scroll of Remove Curse. because nothing gets you
killed faster, not hunger, enemies, or enemy magic, than using the
wrong equipment. if you're strategic, and just use the right gear, you
can win easily. if you're new, which i assume so, try a Troll
Berserker... my favorite mix so far. they regen fast, eat
anything...anytime... and they have natural tendencies torwards melee,
even get an inherent damage bonus. only bad part of a berserker is
they cant do magic, so if you want spells pick a death knight or
fighter. and also, USE DARTS, JAVELINS, BLOWGUNS, AND IF YOU FIND A
ENCHANTED/BONUS SLING AND LIKE BULLETS. a runed sling and runed
bullets KICK ASS ALL DAY LONG. and blowguns you can get poison
needles, slowing needles, and sleeping needles. all VERY USEFUL FOR
TOUGHER ENEMIES. shoot, and run your ass off lol. poison javelins,
great combo. and often runed darts will last forever, and also kick
ass. and sometimes youll find darts of reaping... they rock for
tougher dungeon levels. also, bit of new guy advice, jellies corrode
your weapons if you hit them. so throw stones and cheap crap at them
to kill em, arrows, rocks, small daggers, anything you can find that
you dont mind losing.

but anyway, for more great advice... READ THE MANUAL. lol. its
actually useful. get to it by in game pressing ?, then on the right
side it has the chapters to it. Pick one and you can scroll up and
down.

Now like for example, here's my TrollBerserker i'm using currently,
still alive

level 11 or 12
great hp, regens, eats anything, gets an attack, and bonus Kick
attempt every attack.
wearing: +2 cloak, +5 robe of positive energy, ring of protection +5
armor, ring Femeck resists cold...magic resistance...+4 evasion.
also wearing: amulet of warding...resists like negative energy, all
magics resistance, so on
weapons using: numerous darts, runed, reaping, Javelins poisoned,
blowgun has poisoned needles, slowing, and sleeping (god
gifts!!!!!!!!), bow with arrows, again runed, poisonous... etc... main
weapon a KICKASS scythe i found +5+2 to begin with, protection,
enchanted it up to +6+2, was higher but alas didnt know about jelly
corrosion.................. :(

backup weapons-- a lajatang of electrocution +4, ::not a weapon:: a
shield of protection +1

also, berserkers follow the god Trog... you have to pray over corpses
to make your god happy and get new abilites, and later on God Gifts
(OH YEAH)
anyway...trolls have to eat A LOT... so here's what you do... take out
bigger foes that give you 2 or more meats and butcher and eat them, c
and e to do so...
for the smaller ones like rats, geckos, bats,... pray over them. you
can afford to lose that meat because you dont get much, and still make
ole bloodthirsty T happy

so i hope all that helps, also if you find any kind of scroll or
potion shop, buy one of each kind you can if you havent found and used
that kind already.
like say in a shop you can buy a potion of healing, get one, and from
then on when you find em random in the dungeon youll at least know
what it is
also, DO BUY THE BAD POTIONS, because like said, then you will KNOW
WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE, AND NOT USE IT.

so GOOD LUCK OUT THERE, YOU'RE GONNA NEED IT! lol

JaySwa

Apr 11, 2010, 2:51:55 PM4/11/10
also forgot to mention, i have one more ring, ring of protection im
also wearing. putting my Ac at like 26 i thin it is? KICKASS RIGHT?
lol

Peter Huebner

Apr 11, 2010, 8:14:51 PM4/11/10
In article <27986ca6-c107-409a-9680-db8121428723
@z11g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>, js15...@reddies.hsu.edu says...

> also forgot to mention, i have one more ring, ring of protection im
> also wearing. putting my Ac at like 26 i thin it is? KICKASS RIGHT?
> lol

No. 40 used to be 'kickass' in dcss 0.5 but I understand it isn't any
longer. (I never played a 'tank' long enough to get near that - must try
some time).

-P.

JaySwa

Apr 12, 2010, 2:41:37 PM4/12/10
well yeah, 40. indeed not close enough lol. but i mean 26 for not even
having a heavy armor on, pretty good. plus i can dodge like nobodys
business