Second Incursion Patch 0.6.0B

Julian Mensch

Jul 31, 2007, 1:34:48 AM7/31/07
Corremn wrote:

> Also if I use the following options to gen a character the game
> crashes everytime.

Okay, this makes it impossible to make ANY priest character (!),
so I figured it should be fixed ASAP. I would like to point out that
these chargen crashes are the result of a last-minute memory
issue fix, they're just oversights and the game is actually more
tested than they make it seem. If there are one or two more, I
will patch them quickly over the next day or two.

What should I be doing with patch release announcements?
I've been patching frequently, and I don't want to spam Usenet.

Incidentally, I'm going to bulletproof the Yuse menu more in
the immediate future, but in general the only commands on it
you /need/ are Dip (fountains), Mount, Dismount and Apply
(for oils). Everything else can be done with one-key commands
on the key-binding legend screen that comes up when you
press '?'.

New version now on the website.

Changes in 0.6.0B
* "Dark Blue" color made brighter for readability
* Crash on trying to build a priest (!) fixed.
* Game no longer crashes when you attempt a social action
targetting dungeon features or inanimate objects. (i.e.,
try to 'dismiss' a trap)

Changes in 0.6.0A
* Weapon Focus crash / screen corruption fixed.
* String queue overflow on multiple rerolls fixed.
* /gust of wind/ now clears away fog terrain, acid fog,
solid fog, etc. properly.

-- Julian Mensch

Alexm...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2007, 7:34:37 AM7/31/07

For a list of more opinions, issues, bugs, and what not there is a
something awful forum thread about Incursion (though I'm pretty sure
most of those people are still playing 0.60 since they are complaining
about the priest crash bug.) http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=331440145#post331440145

LoveLover

Jul 31, 2007, 7:25:38 PM7/31/07
This game looks really good!

elias....@mbnet.fi

Aug 5, 2007, 7:59:15 PM8/5/07
I noticed there's a thread about Incursion on Quarter to Three. It's
been just started, but seems to be growing quickly.

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=37543

Pball

Aug 6, 2007, 8:01:14 AM8/6/07
Ok. Been playing a couple of days now, and these are my thoughts.
I like the complexity of the game a lot. It was easier for me to
understance since I know the d20 system, so I had that going for me.

I´ve noticed some bugs:

The game tends to crash a lot (like, once every 8 hours), and I lost a
character due to curruption (not the ADOM kind).
I´ve seen skeleton foot soldiers make an
6d6+alotofdamageforalvl1monster every now and then, and I could not
find the reason for this.

Some goblin or dwarven hostile creature kept concentrating and blowing
up all my god given blessed equipment, which I thought it was kind of
abusive, since it left me with no armor nor weapons in 10 rounds and
made me drink a lot of potions to cure the damage from the explosions.

As a mage, some god gave me a spell I already had (force bolt), and
when it took it away, it took the knowledge with the spell with it, so
I could no longer cast it, nor learn it (since it didn´t give me my
spell learning slot back).

There seems to be a lot of issues with the things my character can
see. Sometimes it shows (on the side) that it sees traps and monsters
that are not visible nowhere in the game.

When wielding a spear and charging, if I move to a square that is 1
sqare away from the monster, and meanwhile, the monster moves towards
me, I end up being face to face with the monster and not being able to
hit it with the charge, and then I have to break the charge and
disengage.

When moving over a neutral character, it should not ask if I want to
attack it, it should move over it, making walking through crowded
corridors a lot easier. If I wanted to attack it I should use the ´c´
command.

Friendlies shooting though me. Literally. Sometimes friendlies so me
mora damage than the monsters. Maybe it should get a clear LOS instead
or close in. Or not shoot at all.

And I had some more, but I cannot remember them :)

There seems to be a lot of bugs, BUT:

I think the game has really a lot of potential, considering the
infraestructure it has and all the things it could be added, so I will
be waiting impaciently for every patch and upgrades there may be.

PS: a manual on the mechanics of the game would be nice (I fail to
understand how the coverage and armor penetration works). If there is
one, I missed it completly. The help is nice, but it misses so many
details.

Julian Mensch

Aug 6, 2007, 3:51:04 PM8/6/07

Wow, I'm everywhere. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

Julian Mensch

Aug 6, 2007, 4:03:33 PM8/6/07
> The game tends to crash a lot (like, once every 8 hours), and I lost a
> character due to curruption (not the ADOM kind).

We're working on this. The next release will fix a number
of crash bugs!

> I´ve seen skeleton foot soldiers make an
> 6d6+alotofdamageforalvl1monster every now and then, and I could not
> find the reason for this.

Critical hit, as discussed in the Combat chapter of the
manual. There are several defenses against this -- some
armor has the fortification quality, it's very hard to crit a
character with a high DC, many gods will shield you from
being killed on a crit if you build up favor with them, there
is a feat, Roll With It, which reduces crit damage, and the
Luck domain power can negate crits entirely.

> Some goblin or dwarven hostile creature kept concentrating and blowing
> up all my god given blessed equipment, which I thought it was kind of
> abusive, since it left me with no armor nor weapons in 10 rounds and
> made me drink a lot of potions to cure the damage from the explosions.

This would be a blue goblin using the /detonate/ psionic
power. Note that it does not work on magical items; sadly,
"blessed" alone does not count as magic.

> As a mage, some god gave me a spell I already had (force bolt), and
> when it took it away, it took the knowledge with the spell with it, so
> I could no longer cast it, nor learn it (since it didn´t give me my
> spell learning slot back).

This is a bug, and I will fix it.

> There seems to be a lot of issues with the things my character can
> see. Sometimes it shows (on the side) that it sees traps and monsters
> that are not visible nowhere in the game.

You can use [Alt]+[Arrow Key] to scroll the map in a different
direction. Sometimes your character can see further down a
corridor than is displayed on the screen.

> When wielding a spear and charging, if I move to a square that is 1
> sqare away from the monster, and meanwhile, the monster moves towards
> me, I end up being face to face with the monster and not being able to
> hit it with the charge, and then I have to break the charge and
> disengage.

The monster need to make a saving throw to get inside the
reach of the polearm. If it succeeds, you've lost the benefit
of wielding a polearm and have to drop it or back up again
in order to fight. See Reach, in the Combat chapter.

> When moving over a neutral character, it should not ask if I want to
> attack it, it should move over it, making walking through crowded
> corridors a lot easier. If I wanted to attack it I should use the ´c´
> command.

You can move into the same square as a neutral using the
Movement option on the Combat Options menu. The reason
the default is attack is that in certain states of mind when you
walk into a neutral creature's square (i.e., confused), you do
not get a warning; you just attack them.

> Friendlies shooting though me. Literally. Sometimes friendlies so me
> mora damage than the monsters. Maybe it should get a clear LOS instead
> or close in. Or not shoot at all.

The companion AI needs a LOT of work, I know.

> I think the game has really a lot of potential, considering the
> infraestructure it has and all the things it could be added, so I will
> be waiting impaciently for every patch and upgrades there may be.

Cool!

> PS: a manual on the mechanics of the game would be nice (I fail to
> understand how the coverage and armor penetration works). If there is
> one, I missed it completly. The help is nice, but it misses so many
> details.

The manual is available both on the website:

http://www.incursion-roguelike.org/man/Manual.html

And in the game itself, by typing '?' and then selecting Table
of Contents. I especially recommend reading through the
Combat and Adventuring sections.

-- Julian Mensch

elias....@mbnet.fi

Aug 7, 2007, 6:22:16 AM8/7/07
> Wow, I'm everywhere. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

I thought there might be a thread on Penny Arcade, remembering the
huge Dwarf Fortress threads there:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=31335

Pball

Aug 8, 2007, 8:54:21 AM8/8/07
On 6 ago, 17:03, Julian Mensch <jmen...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> > When wielding a spear and charging, if I move to a square that is 1
> > sqare away from the monster, and meanwhile, the monster moves towards
> > me, I end up being face to face with the monster and not being able to
> > hit it with the charge, and then I have to break the charge and
> > disengage.
>
> The monster need to make a saving throw to get inside the
> reach of the polearm. If it succeeds, you've lost the benefit
> of wielding a polearm and have to drop it or back up again
> in order to fight. See Reach, in the Combat chapter.

Not quite what I meant. The thing is that while charging, I miss the
oportunity to attack if it is the monster the one that closes in to
me. I believe that while charging, if it is the monster the one that
closes up, the charge attack should be made anyway, since I am running
towards it, ready to attack. Sorry if I am not making myself clear,
English is not my native language.

shi_d...@yahoo.com

Aug 8, 2007, 8:18:27 PM8/8/07
> New version now on the website.
>
> Changes in 0.6.0B
> * "Dark Blue" color made brighter for readability
> * Crash on trying to build a priest (!) fixed.
> * Game no longer crashes when you attempt a social action
> targetting dungeon features or inanimate objects. (i.e.,
> try to 'dismiss' a trap)
>
> Changes in 0.6.0A
> * Weapon Focus crash / screen corruption fixed.
> * String queue overflow on multiple rerolls fixed.
> * /gust of wind/ now clears away fog terrain, acid fog,
> solid fog, etc. properly.
>
> -- Julian Mensch

Hey Julian, this game looks like it will be great. It is already a
good deal of fun in its current state.

I had a question: how can a barbarian use the spellbreaker ability to
gain XP? I was playing with a low level barbarian recently and wanted
to destroy a wand that I had found in order to get free XP, but could
not figure out what command to use. Using the [b]reak command from
the [Y]use menu didn't seem to do anything. Is this implemented right
now?

Anyway, thanks for the work you put into this and keep up the good
work! This is a really wonderful roguelike, it has incredible
potential as the underlying game mechanics are excellent. I wouldn't
worry about all the wimps out there who say that it is too hard...
hard is good as far as I am concerned, and in this case the difficulty
is largely a function of realism in combat and similar situations. I
also think that the inventory handling system is wonderful- it
shouldn't take a reasonably patient and intelligent person who has
played RL games before more than 5 mins or so to learn how to use it,
if you ask me.

Julian Mensch

Aug 9, 2007, 12:30:51 AM8/9/07
> I had a question: how can a barbarian use the spellbreaker ability to
> gain XP? I was playing with a low level barbarian recently and wanted
> to destroy a wand that I had found in order to get free XP, but could
> not figure out what command to use. Using the [b]reak command from
> the [Y]use menu didn't seem to do anything. Is this implemented right
> now?

IIRC, it is -- drop the item on the ground and attack it
with 'c', option 'a'.

> Anyway, thanks for the work you put into this and keep up the good
> work! This is a really wonderful roguelike, it has incredible
> potential as the underlying game mechanics are excellent. I wouldn't

Thanks lots!

> worry about all the wimps out there who say that it is too hard...
> hard is good as far as I am concerned, and in this case the difficulty
> is largely a function of realism in combat and similar situations. I

I think difficulty may also be a function of it having a very
different
dynamic from other roguelike games, with the resting and the
character building and all. I have added a number of options to
make it easier for players that want that, of course -- originally, I
had intended Incursion to be a notably _easier_ game than NetHack,
ADOM, etc. Obviously, that didn't happen.

> also think that the inventory handling system is wonderful- it
> shouldn't take a reasonably patient and intelligent person who has
> played RL games before more than 5 mins or so to learn how to use it,
> if you ask me.

I like the interface a lot myself too. There are a lot of inventory
changes coming in the next version (due on the 14th or 15th), but
they are all optional switches you turn on to make the system
more intuitive to different tastes.

-- Julian Mensch

DakaSha

Aug 9, 2007, 6:19:10 PM8/9/07
ok started playing this and i love it... and i have ALOT of roguelike
experiance. keep it up and lets see the updates ^^
im reporting bugs the best i can in your bug tracker btw.

Corremn

Aug 13, 2007, 3:02:41 AM8/13/07

Just thought i'd let you know.

While browsing the shop I came across a blessed brilliant energy
vampiric silver mecurical broardsword +5, worth around 700K gold. I
had around 5000 gold for some reason decided to purchase it. It asked
me if I would like to buy it so I selected yes. I then dropped out to
the shop and looked in my inventory, to my amazement it was in my
pack. I had no gold left.
I then decided to go back to the shop and buy a 200k weapon, and
recieved that as well.

Unluckily for me I have all the dual weild weapon traits and I cant
use broardswords one-handed ;)

Corremn

Aug 13, 2007, 3:09:33 AM8/13/07

It seems once you get over a certain price you can buy anything for
free. Hmm probably should not of mentioned this, but it is a massive
spoiler bug.

Julian Mensch

Aug 13, 2007, 4:42:09 AM8/13/07

It's already been discovered on SomethingAwful.com, and it
will be fixed up in the very next release, due the 14th or 15th. :)

-- Julian

ifnyou

Aug 14, 2007, 4:05:18 AM8/14/07
> It's already been discovered on SomethingAwful.com, and it
> will be fixed up in the very next release, due the 14th or 15th. :)
>
> -- Julian

What do you mean, "or 15th" !!??

:(

Just kidding, whenever it's ready, I'll be happy. :)