Crawl 0.4.3 Pandemonium = Annoyance Report

Octopussi

Sep 10, 2008, 2:26:36 AM9/10/08
I'm really teed off because I have a killer character that is
extremely powerful and just blows past named demons in Pandemonium. I
have also acquired 2 zot runes in Pandemonium. But... I can't find the
freaking exit back to the Dungeon.

Part of the game, you say?

Well yeah, except for the part where i'm getting bored and thinking of
quiting... it's just not fun anymore... I can kill anything in
Pandemonium now, but cannot progress in the game...just keep bumping
around randomized Pandemonium levels.

There need to be more EXITS.... I suggest one guarranteed exit PER
level, guarded if need be, whatever.

It's a lot easier to find the exit in the Abyss, compared to
Pandemonium.

Jukka Kuusisto

Sep 10, 2008, 2:51:54 AM9/10/08
Octopussi <tentac...@lds.org> writes:

>It's a lot easier to find the exit in the Abyss, compared to
>Pandemonium.

Have you found any exits to the Abyss, then?

-Jukka
--
Jukka Kuusisto

Jed Davis

Sep 10, 2008, 2:52:47 AM9/10/08
Octopussi <tentac...@lds.org> writes:

> It's a lot easier to find the exit in the Abyss, compared to
> Pandemonium.

Indeed it is. Why, if you were to somehow get banished to the Abyss
from Pandemonium, then [spoiler]

when you escape from the Abyss, you'll return to the Dungeon instead
of to Pan.

This is, of course, entirely counterintuitive, and the extent to which
it rewards spoilage arguably contravenes Crawl's guiding principles.

--
(let ((C call-with-current-continuation)) (apply (lambda (x y) (x y)) (map
((lambda (r) ((C C) (lambda (s) (r (lambda l (apply (s s) l)))))) (lambda

Octopussi

Sep 10, 2008, 1:39:05 PM9/10/08
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 02:52:47 -0400, Jed Davis <jd...@panix.com> wrote:

>Octopussi <tentac...@lds.org> writes:
>
>> It's a lot easier to find the exit in the Abyss, compared to
>> Pandemonium.
>
>Indeed it is. Why, if you were to somehow get banished to the Abyss
>from Pandemonium, then [spoiler]
>
>when you escape from the Abyss, you'll return to the Dungeon instead
>of to Pan.
>
>This is, of course, entirely counterintuitive, and the extent to which
>it rewards spoilage arguably contravenes Crawl's guiding principles.

I've also discovered actual exits to the Abyss in Pandemonium, but
that was a couple of lives ago and only happened once. Of course, I
took it. I've also been banished to the abyss from Pandemonium. The
thing about getting banished on purpose is, if your magic defenses are
that low, then you will probably get killed outright. Banishment is
not a common attack.

I spent like two uncomfortable hours going from level to level in
Pandemonium looking for an exit to ANYWHERE, I wasn't picky. I was
exploring and clearing out the entire level of all monsters (being a
level 24 Trog-worshipping Demonspawn Beserker wielding a +7, +7
god-gifted broad axe of chopping & crystal plate armor among other
things). I guess the thought never occurred to me of trying to get
banished on purpose. But sure, I guess I will try that.

The Abyss is not so bad, because I can usually find an exit after
about 100 moves. (There's probably a timer in the code, or a move
counter.) Alternatively one can convert to Logonu.

I guess it's obvious I freaking love Crawl, especially the newest
version. Now I'm old school, been with the game for years. My favorite
class/species used to be Mummy Necromancer and I used to clear out
levels employing legions of undead and other monstrosities.

The tiles took some getting used to. In fact I hated them for a long
time and kept thinking about downloading the text only version. But
after about 20 hours of game play I started getting interested in the
representations of monsters, walls and items. It was cool. In fact,
better than cool. Great. Added a lot of punch to the whole experience.
Now, I'm never going back to text. So maybe this ruined a lot of other
potential Roguelikes for me. But I definitely like version 4.3 big
time.

Oh yeah I did find a bug on one level. I'm sorry but I did not
remember the exact circumstances. I was in the Dungeon, I think, and
moved left toward a monster. But the map did not show me moving.
Instead I remained in place, but the text told me I had struck a
monster. The monster had not moved either--there was a tile between
us. Then the game aborted with an error. So I reloaded, fortunately
being an old school veteran my game was protected with a batch file
that copies the save files to a backup directory. (I could never get
into the Crawl philosophy of starting over from scratch each time you
die.)

Crawl is really addictive, especially now with the Tiles. But
Pandemonium is the only place that gets on my nerves.... not because
it's hard or challenging, but because it gets freaking boring
searching for an exit. After two Zot runes and a bunch of artifacts,
and maxing out my armor and weapons, hey baby I'm ready to leave and
hit the realm of Zot. But the game is holdin' me back....

Martin Read

Sep 10, 2008, 6:51:57 PM9/10/08
ink...@mormon.org wrote:
>The Abyss is not so bad, because I can usually find an exit after
>about 100 moves. (There's probably a timer in the code, or a move
>counter.)

There is no such thing, and I've had it take longer than that. There is
a *flat* 1/7500 probability of any tile in the Abyss being an exit when
it is regenerated.
--
\_\/_/ turbulence is certainty turbulence is friction between you and me
\ / every time we try to impose order we create chaos

Octopussi

Sep 11, 2008, 2:04:45 AM9/11/08
On 10 Sep 2008 23:51:57 +0100 (BST), Martin Read
<mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>ink...@mormon.org wrote:
>>The Abyss is not so bad, because I can usually find an exit after
>>about 100 moves. (There's probably a timer in the code, or a move
>>counter.)
>
>There is no such thing, and I've had it take longer than that. There is
>a *flat* 1/7500 probability of any tile in the Abyss being an exit when
>it is regenerated.

That's not so bad, with ten or so tiles revealed per move. You just
keep moving and eventually find an out.

Rubinstein

Sep 11, 2008, 7:15:20 AM9/11/08
Octopussi schrieb:

I don't think he was talking about visible tiles only. This would lead
to a significant difference between graphic and ascii tiles, which I'd
consider a bug.

erisdiscordia

Sep 11, 2008, 9:39:43 AM9/11/08
On 10 Zář, 19:39, Octopussi <tentacle_n...@lds.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 02:52:47 -0400, Jed Davis <j...@panix.com> wrote:
> >Octopussi <tentacle_n...@lds.org> writes:

> us. Then the game aborted with an error. So I reloaded, fortunately
> being an old school veteran my game was protected with a batch file
> that copies the save files to a backup directory. (I could never get
> into the Crawl philosophy of starting over from scratch each time you
> die.)

This is an overall roguelike philosophy, not a Crawl philosophy, and
it's the kind of difficulty the genre is generally balanced for --
i.e. the games are generally (and hopefully) balanced to be winnable
without going back to a save point before dying.

However, it is really a question for each individual player: play
however you like.

If I recall correctly, creating batch files is an unnecessary step, at
least in Windows -- just "violently" exit the program just before your
death (e.g. via the Task Manager) and start up again. Crawl only
deletes your save files when you die, and they are quite modular,
mostly or entirely being a collection of "level saves," with the last
one representing the state of things when you entered the current
level. ISTR some object duplication bugs when making use of this
though (no, I don't reload to prevent my death, but not every release
has been as crash-resistant as the current one...).

e.

Rubinstein

Sep 11, 2008, 12:23:15 PM9/11/08
erisdiscordia schrieb:

> On 10 Zář, 19:39, Octopussi <tentacle_n...@lds.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 02:52:47 -0400, Jed Davis <j...@panix.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Octopussi <tentacle_n...@lds.org> writes:
>
>> us. Then the game aborted with an error. So I reloaded, fortunately
>> being an old school veteran my game was protected with a batch
>> file that copies the save files to a backup directory. (I could
>> never get into the Crawl philosophy of starting over from scratch
>> each time you die.)
>
> This is an overall roguelike philosophy, not a Crawl philosophy, and
> it's the kind of difficulty the genre is generally balanced for --
> i.e. the games are generally (and hopefully) balanced to be winnable
> without going back to a save point before dying.
>
> However, it is really a question for each individual player: play
> however you like.

There are 2 other points to consider. Save-scumming is a direct way
towards boredom and will kill any roguelike on the long run *for you*.
As Erik said, it's all up to you, you just should be aware of this (and,
btw. never should brag about a win, cause savescummed wins are usually
not considered a real win in what ever roguelike you play). Mind you,
roguelikes are no CRPGs which are usually unplayable without
savescumming. The thrill starts with playing honestly.

Another point, which sometimes bothered me in the past: if you play
*honestly* and win, there's no way to prove that you didn't savescum.
Fortunately we have the wonderful akrasiac.org server now which not only
is *the* prove, it also makes it unneccesary to recompile after any
minor upate (there's usually the most recent version on akrasiak.org).

Unfortunately I've won 3 times in the past but never on akrasiac.org,
yet. :-/

Ah, and hi Erik, nice to see you on board again! :-)

David Damerell

Sep 11, 2008, 1:46:59 PM9/11/08
Quoting Rubinstein <pib...@gmail.com>:
>Octopussi schrieb:

>><mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>>There is a *flat* 1/7500 probability of any tile in the Abyss being
>>>an exit when it is regenerated.
>>That's not so bad, with ten or so tiles revealed per move. You just
>>keep moving and eventually find an out.
>I don't think he was talking about visible tiles only.

It doesn't matter. The rate at which you reveal them is the rate at which
you discover if they were generated as exits.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Stilday, August - a weekend.

Octopussi

Sep 11, 2008, 2:00:12 PM9/11/08
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 06:39:43 -0700 (PDT), erisdiscordia <er...@sky.cz>
wrote:

This batch file technique works well for me, protecting vs. crashes
and sudden death from, say, a ZOT trap or other random unpleasantry.
If a version of Crawl were released that defeated this batch file,
then I would stay with the earlier version of Crawl, because I just
don't like losing a character. And I don't understand how people can
get through a game even at the easy level without dying at least once.
Unless you luck out by finding an artifact or two, death happens. I'd
say my character dies about 20 - 25 times before final victory. The
trick is to save at a safe point, preferably just before descending a
staircase, so that the next level will always be randomized if you
need to restart.

Here it is:

:rego
copy saves\backup\*.* saves
cls
crawl
copy saves\*.* saves\backup
pause
goto rego

I'd like to add a command line to filter the introductory screen, but
haven't figured out how to do that yet.

I also wish the Tiles screen could be full screen using all the
monitor's real estate.

David Damerell

Sep 11, 2008, 2:17:12 PM9/11/08
Quoting Octopussi <ink...@mormon.org>:
>This batch file technique works well for me, protecting vs. crashes
>and sudden death from, say, a ZOT trap or other random unpleasantry.
>don't like losing a character. And I don't understand how people can
>get through a game even at the easy level without dying at least once.

Yes. Save scumming isn't just boring; it means you remain a lousy player.

Jürgen Lerch

Sep 11, 2008, 3:30:23 PM9/11/08
Saluton!

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 18:23:15 +0200, Rubinstein wrote:
> erisdiscordia schrieb:
[Using save files]

> There are 2 other points to consider. Save-scumming is a direct way
> towards boredom and will kill any roguelike on the long run *for you*.
> As Erik said, it's all up to you, you just should be aware of this (and,
> btw. never should brag about a win, cause savescummed wins are usually
> not considered a real win in what ever roguelike you play). Mind you,
> roguelikes are no CRPGs which are usually unplayable without
> savescumming. The thrill starts with playing honestly.

Not in Crawl, but I actually once restarted using
save files exactly _because_ of the boredom of
starting Yet Another character to lead through the
lower levels /again/.

Nowadays I still keep some of those save-characters,
but start new ones without, but I neither could nor
can understand that boredom argument.

Ad Astra!
JuL

--
jyn...@gmx.de / L'état, c'est toi. (Moi)
Jürgen ,,JuL'' Lerch /

Martin Read

Sep 11, 2008, 2:40:33 PM9/11/08
ink...@mormon.org wrote:
>If a version of Crawl were released that defeated this batch file,
>then I would stay with the earlier version of Crawl, because I just
>don't like losing a character. And I don't understand how people can
>get through a game even at the easy level without dying at least once.

By learning...

... that headlong charges into unexplored territory once centaurs can
spawn in packs will get you pincushioned faster than you can blink.

... that starting a fight when you're at half hit points is utterly
stupid.

... that standing around in a corridor mouth when there's a monster with
a lightning attack can get you killed from 100 hp in a single turn.

... when to husband your resources and when to spend them as freely as
it takes to survive.

... that letting yourself be surrounded by armed orcs is a good way to
die.

... that pissing about with an orc priest in LOS is a good way to die.

... that Stealth is actually nifty keen.

... that judicious use-ID of your items is an essential survival
technique.

... etc.

Octopussi

Sep 11, 2008, 2:53:12 PM9/11/08
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 18:23:15 +0200, Rubinstein <pib...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>erisdiscordia schrieb:

If you're a competitive soul who enjoys the thrill of outwitting
others (which I think is a very nice way of putting it) then groovy,
but me, I look at Crawl as a puzzle to be solved, and "cheating"as you
put it is definitely on the menu. Honesty schmonesty, I just don't
want to see the freaking intro screen all over again just because I
ran into a Zot trap. Also I like getting deep into the secrets of
Crawl and encountering new stuff rather than hacking orcs day after
day.

The thrill ends with playing "honestly." If I couldn't save game then
I'd definitely go back to a previous version of Crawl or not start it
to begin wtih. All other games have save features, wonder why? Maybe
because 99% of all players prefer to resume where they left off.

thiskidrob

Sep 11, 2008, 8:45:35 PM9/11/08

> It doesn't matter. The rate at which you reveal them is the rate at which
> you discover if they were generated as exits.
> --
> David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!

> Today is Stilday, August - a weekend.

Does this mean that a shop, for example, is not generated until I
explore the tile that it sits on? Or is it generated when you enter
the level?

thiskidrob

Sep 11, 2008, 8:47:58 PM9/11/08
On Sep 11, 2:40 pm, Martin Read <mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> ink...@mormon.org wrote:
> >If a version of Crawl were released that defeated this batch file,
> >then I would stay with the earlier version of Crawl, because I just
> >don't like losing a character. And I don't understand how people can
> >get through a game even at the easy level without dying at least once.
>
> By learning...
>
> ... that headlong charges into unexplored territory once centaurs can
> spawn in packs will get you pincushioned faster than you can blink.
>
> ... that starting a fight when you're at half hit points is utterly
> stupid.
>
> ... that standing around in a corridor mouth when there's a monster with
> a lightning attack can get you killed from 100 hp in a single turn.
>
> ... when to husband your resources and when to spend them as freely as
> it takes to survive.
>
> ... that letting yourself be surrounded by armed orcs is a good way to
> die.
>
> ... that pissing about with an orc priest in LOS is a good way to die.
>
> ... that Stealth is actually nifty keen.
>
> ... that judicious use-ID of your items is an essential survival
> technique.
>
> ... etc.

well said.

thiskidrob

Sep 11, 2008, 8:55:22 PM9/11/08
I'd say my character dies about 20 - 25 times before final victory.
The
> trick is to save at a safe point, preferably just before descending a
> staircase, so that the next level will always be randomized if you
> need to restart.

The reason you die that many times is because you don't learn from
your mistakes. You aren't forced to, begins save scumming prevents
you from really feeling your mistakes. There are no consequences for
playing foolishly when you save scum.

Now, When I started playing ADOM about 8 years ago, I savescummed
until my first victory. And I have never savescummed since. I don't
believe that there is anything wrong with becoming acquainted with the
deep parts of the dungeon that you might rarely or never visit without
scumming, so long as it is just to acclimate yourself. If you are
good enough to save scum a victory, you are good enough to get a real
victory. You have to concentrate and string all the right decisions
together; the scattered decisions you pieced together in your scummed
victory. But for real. Live. No mistakes. Do the stuff Martin
said.

And even so, you will still die. It happens. But dying should not
keep you a bad player, as long as you don't scum.

In the end, to each his own.

Michal Bielinski

Sep 11, 2008, 9:37:39 PM9/11/08
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:00:12 +0200, Octopussi wrote:
> The
> trick is to save at a safe point, preferably just before descending a
> staircase, so that the next level will always be randomized if you
> need to restart.
>
> Here it is:
[snip]

I think you will get bored with it after first win. It happened to me
with ADOM.

> I'd like to add a command line to filter the introductory screen, but
> haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Call crawl with -name parameter.
crawl -name Michal
--
Michal Bielinski

Rubinstein

Sep 12, 2008, 12:31:03 AM9/12/08
Michal Bielinski schrieb:

> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:00:12 +0200, Octopussi wrote:
>> The trick is to save at a safe point, preferably just before
>> descending a staircase, so that the next level will always be
>> randomized if you need to restart.
>>
>> Here it is:
> [snip]
>
> I think you will get bored with it after first win. It happened to me
> with ADOM.

Death is meaningless this way. No anger no joy, easy like that. At this
point Crawl has much in common with chess. It's like taking back your
last move as soon as you realize your mistake. No serious player would
do that and those who do it won't become serious players.

In the end Crawl is just a game, so do what you like. Btw, I'm not
exactly "competitive", I'm rather looking for the challenge which is not
the same.

David Damerell

Sep 12, 2008, 7:41:36 AM9/12/08
Quoting Octopussi <ink...@mormon.org>:
>put it is definitely on the menu. Honesty schmonesty, I just don't
>want to see the freaking intro screen all over again just because I
>ran into a Zot trap.

You see it over again because you're a lousy player because you save-scum.

>to begin wtih. All other games have save features, wonder why? Maybe
>because 99% of all players prefer to resume where they left off.

Actually, roguelikes very rarely have repeatedly reloadable saved games,
although they do (like Crawl) permit you to resume where you left off.

--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!

Today is Gorgonzoladay, August - a weekend.

David Damerell

Sep 12, 2008, 7:39:09 AM9/12/08
Quoting thiskidrob <thisk...@yahoo.com>:
>>It doesn't matter. The rate at which you reveal them is the rate at which
>>you discover if they were generated as exits.
>Does this mean that a shop, for example, is not generated until I
>explore the tile that it sits on?

No, and I have no idea where you get that from. Just read what I wrote,
don't go off on wild tangents.

--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!

Enne

Sep 12, 2008, 7:52:50 AM9/12/08
On Sep 11, 2:00 pm, Octopussi <tentacle_n...@lds.org> wrote:

> I'd like to add a command line to filter the introductory screen, but
> haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Along with setting a default name, you may want to also look at
tiles_options.txt. If you set tile_title_screen to false, it will
skip the introductory graphic.

> I also wish the Tiles screen could be full screen using all the
> monitor's real estate.

This will be possible in 0.5.

Regards,
-Enne

thiskidrob

Sep 12, 2008, 8:02:33 AM9/12/08
On Sep 12, 7:39 am, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> Quoting  thiskidrob  <thiskid...@yahoo.com>:
>
> >>It doesn't matter. The rate at which you reveal them is the rate at which
> >>you discover if they were generated as exits.
> >Does this mean that a shop, for example, is not generated until I
> >explore the tile that it sits on?
>
> No, and I have no idea where you get that from. Just read what I wrote,
> don't go off on wild tangents.
> --
> David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!

> Today is Gorgonzoladay, August - a weekend.

Dude, this is what you wrote: "The rate at which you reveal them is

the rate at which
> >>you discover if they were generated as exits."

It doesn't exactly make sense... I was just looking for clarification
of a statement I consider unclear.

David Damerell

Sep 12, 2008, 8:30:44 AM9/12/08
Quoting thiskidrob <thisk...@yahoo.com>:
>On Sep 12, 7:39=A0am, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>

>>No, and I have no idea where you get that from. Just read what I wrote,
>>don't go off on wild tangents.
>Dude, this is what you wrote: "The rate at which you reveal them is
>the rate at which you discover if they were generated as exits."
>It doesn't exactly make sense...

Your poor reading comprehension is not my problem.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!

thiskidrob

Sep 12, 2008, 8:49:33 AM9/12/08
On Sep 12, 8:30 am, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> Quoting  thiskidrob  <thiskid...@yahoo.com>:
>
> >On Sep 12, 7:39=A0am, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
> >>No, and I have no idea where you get that from. Just read what I wrote,
> >>don't go off on wild tangents.
> >Dude, this is what you wrote:  "The rate at which you reveal them is
> >the rate at which you discover if they were generated as exits."
> >It doesn't exactly make sense...
>
> Your poor reading comprehension is not my problem.
> --
> David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!

> Today is Gorgonzoladay, August - a weekend.

You are quite hilarious... Thanks for the laugh... Two reply posts
and no clarification, just insults...

Octopussi

Sep 12, 2008, 10:31:23 AM9/12/08
On 11 Sep 2008 19:17:12 +0100 (BST), David Damerell
<dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Quoting Octopussi <ink...@mormon.org>:
>>This batch file technique works well for me, protecting vs. crashes
>>and sudden death from, say, a ZOT trap or other random unpleasantry.
>>don't like losing a character. And I don't understand how people can
>>get through a game even at the easy level without dying at least once.
>
>Yes. Save scumming isn't just boring; it means you remain a lousy player.

When you become a great player at Dungeon Crawl, are you going to go
on TV and become a celebrity and write a best-selling book about your
fascinating life?

Octopussi

Sep 12, 2008, 10:37:05 AM9/12/08

Playing it safe takes a lot longer inevitably because you must retreat
repeatedly. That's what all you guys are confessing: that you spend
hours retreating and avoiding risks in order to survive. To me, that
is scumming. It is boring and unmanly. That's what ordinary life is
often like. Doing "all the right things" and "avoiding risk" just so
that you can come home to Marge and the family.

When you enter the fantasy world of Crawl that's when you want to cut
loose and take some freaking chances. And maybe you die but hey a
click of the keyboard -n- you're back. Better than running away all
the time like a...

I keep hoping against hope one of these replies is going to tell me
what I wanted to know, i.e. how to get the tiles full screen and how
to bypass the intro screen. Instead just a bunch of flames from nerd
boys.

Octopussi

Sep 12, 2008, 10:41:05 AM9/12/08

That doesn't seem to work to bypass the intro screen.

it's not a big deal but does necessitate clicking the mouse before
entering a mostly keyboard game.

Octopussi

Sep 12, 2008, 10:43:20 AM9/12/08
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 04:52:50 -0700 (PDT), Enne <Enne....@gmail.com>
wrote:

THIS worked! wow. Thanks!

eoghan griffin

Sep 12, 2008, 11:40:50 AM9/12/08

He doesnt need to clarify rob, what he said makes perfect sense =P

"The rate at which you reveal them is the rate at which you discover if

they *WERE* generated as exits."

Notice he says were, not are, meaning everything is generated on level
generation

eoghan griffin

Sep 12, 2008, 11:47:21 AM9/12/08

Wow.

Rachel Elizabeth Dillon

Sep 12, 2008, 12:25:56 PM9/12/08
On 2008-09-12, Octopussi <tentac...@lds.org> wrote:
> *savescumming argument*

> Playing it safe takes a lot longer inevitably because you must retreat
> repeatedly. That's what all you guys are confessing: that you spend
> hours retreating and avoiding risks in order to survive. To me, that
> is scumming. It is boring and unmanly. That's what ordinary life is
> often like. Doing "all the right things" and "avoiding risk" just so
> that you can come home to Marge and the family.

Boring and unmanly? Well, I guess I don't need to worry then. :)

> When you enter the fantasy world of Crawl that's when you want to cut
> loose and take some freaking chances. And maybe you die but hey a
> click of the keyboard -n- you're back. Better than running away all
> the time like a...

...survivor? winner? shrewd tactician? smooth operator? track superstar?

> I keep hoping against hope one of these replies is going to tell me
> what I wanted to know, i.e. how to get the tiles full screen and how
> to bypass the intro screen. Instead just a bunch of flames from nerd
> boys.

I think fullscreen tiles isn't coming until 0.5, but I could be mistaken;
in the console version I bypass the "intro screen" by specifying
my-vanity-prompt% crawl -name rax -other-args foo
and by selecting a name, I get bumped right to "So what kind of character
do you want to needlessly slaughter today?" No idea how or if this works
in tiles, though if you invoke from the command line or a batch file, it's
at least worth a try.

The game's not designed for savescumming, but if you have fun playing
it not as designed, I don't see why that has to upset the rest of us;
that said, you're unlikely to get the help you want if you address other
people in ways that intentionally antagonize them.

-r.

Martin Read

Sep 12, 2008, 1:42:07 PM9/12/08
ink...@mormon.org wrote:
>Playing it safe takes a lot longer inevitably because you must retreat
>repeatedly.

All games played on crawl.akrasiac.org are played "honestly" (i.e.
without savescumming). The crawl.akrasiac.org user "stabwound" won 15
of his 19 games (including a streak of 13 consecutive wins) in last
month's tournament; the fastest of those wins (the second-fastest of the
tournament) took him under four and a half hours and the slowest (which
was a deliberately undertaken all-runes win, so much lengthier than the
basic three-rune win) took him under twelve and a half hours.

Stabwound's not unique, either; the first and third fastest-in-real-time
wins of the tournament belonged to two other users.

(BTW, calling someone "nerd boy" when you yourself play roguelikes
mostly makes you look like a hypocrite :)

David Damerell

Sep 12, 2008, 1:50:13 PM9/12/08
Quoting Martin Read <mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>:
>(BTW, calling someone "nerd boy" when you yourself play roguelikes
>mostly makes you look like a hypocrite :)

I like "unmanly", too, as if there was a macho way to sit at a desk and
play videogames.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!

zai...@zaimoni.com

Sep 13, 2008, 9:53:27 AM9/13/08
On Sep 12, 9:37 am, Octopussi <tentacle_n...@lds.org> wrote:

> Playing it safe takes a lot longer inevitably because you must retreat
> repeatedly.

Categorically wrong. Taking a lot longer is the surest way to die in
SSCrawl.

As for the questions that aren't answered...perhaps this is because
the game needs to be modded to make this possible?

Rubinstein

Sep 13, 2008, 10:57:56 AM9/13/08
zai...@zaimoni.com schrieb:

> On Sep 12, 9:37 am, Octopussi <tentacle_n...@lds.org> wrote:
>
>> Playing it safe takes a lot longer inevitably because you must
>> retreat repeatedly.
>
> Categorically wrong. Taking a lot longer is the surest way to die in
> SSCrawl.

No. If something is "categorically" wrong then it's your statement. The
risk/death ratio depends heavily on race. The most drastic example are
mummies here. Another example are devices like a staff of energy for
casters who will have a very relaxed food situation then and don't need
to force diving.

OTOH, if you never need to retreat and never have to fear death, what is
then the point of playing Crawl (or any other roguelike) at all?

zai...@zaimoni.com

Sep 13, 2008, 1:11:20 PM9/13/08
On Sep 13, 9:57 am, Rubinstein <pib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> zaim...@zaimoni.com schrieb:

> > On Sep 12, 9:37 am, Octopussi <tentacle_n...@lds.org> wrote:
>
> >> Playing it safe takes a lot longer inevitably because you must
> >> retreat repeatedly.
>
> > Categorically wrong.  Taking a lot longer is the surest way to die in
> >  SSCrawl.
>
> No. If something is "categorically" wrong then it's your statement. The
> risk/death ratio depends heavily on race. The most drastic example are
> mummies here. Another example are devices like a staff of energy for
> casters who will have a very relaxed food situation then and don't need
> to force diving.

I have in mind the OOD monster depth selection: "playing it safe"
includes "minimize the chance the player is a windshield kill, subject
to making adequate progress". (One thing I like about SSCrawl is that
the untrained notion of "playing it safe" *will* get you killed, as a
windshield kill.)

I haven't seen any real disagreement that mummies have become a
completely broken race in recent versions of SSCrawl, precisely
because they have no measure of adequate progess.

> OTOH, if you never need to retreat and never have to fear death, what is
> then the point of playing Crawl (or any other roguelike) at all?

Toss that rhetorical question at the OP.

dpeg

Sep 14, 2008, 8:01:24 AM9/14/08
zai...@zaimoni.com wrote:

> On Sep 13, 9:57 am, Rubinstein <pib...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> zaim...@zaimoni.com schrieb:

> I haven't seen any real disagreement that mummies have become a

> completely broken race in recent versions of SSCrawl, precisely
> because they have no measure of adequate progess.

I agree about "completely broken" but why "in recent versions of DCSS".
Mummies were designed from start as a species that allows for grinding by
disabling the food clock. Which changes in the Soup do you mean?

David

zai...@zaimoni.com

Sep 14, 2008, 3:27:07 PM9/14/08
On Sep 14, 7:01 am, dpeg <pl...@zio.mathematik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:

It's not a single change. It's more a sense that the available
equipment and spells have been enhanced in DCSS to the point where a
Mummy can "gear up" enough to render the Abyss indefinitely manageable
with merely good play, not perfect play. I *think* Pan isn't broken
that way.

[What tipped me off was that an Okawaru sacfest at the Ecumenical
Temple was practical.]

Octopussi

Sep 22, 2008, 9:17:57 PM9/22/08

There are huge advantages in notting having to eat. That is precisely
why my favorite race is Mummy. Looking for food or bothering with its
potential sicknesses & poisons takes up a lot of game play for the
other races. Also the other races can't carry as much as the
food-free, potion-free mummy. Then the mummy never worries about
negative energy or cold which eliminates two entire fields of attacks.

Lousy stats as a mummy, but compensated for by the many resistances
(poison, cold, hunger, negative energy).

It's not grinding and mummy games are always faster due to not having
to hit the Hive or bother with food acquisition. I code that out of
autopickup altogether.

That said I have recently grown tired of mummies. My new favorite
race/class is Hill Orc Beserker. It is so easy that Crawl should be
renamed Fly. Trog showers me with artifact weapons, I can regen or
summon support anytime, and going nuts kills any badass monster in the
game. The food problem gets fixed by an amulet of sustenance and a
visit to the Hive... eating kills helps out in the lower levels. My
strength zooms up into the thirties and now I'm Mr. Badass.

I can't wait til version 5 where the tiles fill up the whole screen. I
love this game, it is the best. A+