combined command list

Ray Dillinger

Aug 12, 2004, 3:51:23 PM8/12/04

This is basically a "for each key, what do the various roguelikes
out there use that key for" list.

I compiled this when deciding where to put commands in my game,
and I thought this might be useful for all the developers out there
who are wondering what key they can stick a particular command
on without surprising their audience too much.

The games covered here are the pillars of the roguelike genre:
Rogue, Nethack, Angband, Adom, and Moria. I omitted slash'em
because it's largely identical to nethack and TOME because it's
largely identical to Angband. If you think some other pillar
is very important, feel free to extend the list.

Bear

"!" Adom: dip something (into potion)
"!" Angband: interact with interface. (Dos version only)
"!" Nethack: Escape to a shell.
"!" Rogue: escape to a (restricted) shell.
"#" Angband/rlkeys: toggle search mode
"#" Nethack: invoke extended commands.
"#?" Nethack: -- list extended commands
"#b" Nethack: -- breathe (breathweapon)
"#c" Nethack: -- cast spell
"#d" Nethack: -- dip something in something
"#p" Nethack: -- plead for divine intervention
"#r" Nethack: -- remove cursed item
"#s" Nethack: -- sit down
"#t" Nethack: -- turn undead
"#w" Nethack: -- wipe face
"$" Adom: display current wealth
"$" Moria: Shell out of the game.
"$" Nethack: count how many gold pieces you are carrying.
"%" Angband: Interact with visuals (letters and attribs used as icons).
"&" Adom: recall monster memory
"&" Angband: change colors.
"(" Adom: create short character log
"(" Angband: Load screen dump
")" Adom: create verbose character log
")" Angband: Save screen dump
")" Nethack: shows weapon currently wielded.
")" Rogue: shows weapon currently wielded.
"*" Angband: Select a target
"*" Rogue: list inventory.
"+" Angband: Alter (open/close doors, tunnel walls, disarm traps)
"," Adom: pick up items
"," Angband/rlkeys: run (move until disturbed or choose path)
"," Angband: Stand still, pick up whatever you're on.
"," Nethack: pick up some things.
"-" Angband: walk (direction to be specified) picking up stuff inverted
"." Adom: wait one turn
"." Angband/rlkeys: Stand still, pick up whatever you're on.
"." Angband: run (move until disturbed or forced to choose between
paths)
"." Moria: Walk (takes direction) until disturbed.
"." Nethack: rest, do nothing.
"." Rogue: Rest
"/" Adom: display identified items
"/" Angband: identify a character (allows access to detailed monster
memory)
"/" Moria: Identify a character on the screen.
"/" Nethack: (followed by any symbol): tell what this symbol
represents.
"/" Rogue: identify an on-screen character.
"12346789" Adom: move/attack in respective directions.
"12346789" Angband: walk/attack in a direction.
"12346789" Moria: walk/attack in a direction.
"5" Adom: wait one turn
"5" Angband: stand still without picking up stuff.
"5" Moria: stand still one turn.
":" Angband: take notes (places your writing in previous messages)
":" Nethack: look at what is here.
":" Adom: invoke extended commands.
":=" Adom: set variable
":Z" Adom: mark spells (has to do with skills system)
":b" Adom: display burden levels
":c" Adom: display companions
":d" Adom: extend drop (drop lots of things at once)
":g" Adom: display your diety's name.
":k" Adom: display killed monsters
":m" Adom: display message buffer
":p" Adom: extend pay (pay for lots of things at once)
":s" Adom: swap positions with a monster
":t" Adom: switch dynamic display (turns, speed, energy, gold,
ammunition)
":u" Adom: extend use (use things in nondefault ways)
":w" Adom: describe weather
":w" Adom: display monster wound status
";" Adom: pick up items (fast)
";" Angband: walk (direction to be specified) picking up stuff normally.
"<" Adom: climb stairs
"<" Angband: climb stairs
"<" Moria: climb stairs
"<" Nethack: climb stairs
"<" Rogue: climb stairs. (can't be done without amulet of yendor)
"=" Adom: display configuration variables
"=" Angband: set/unset game options.
"=" Nethack: ask for current rings.
"=" Rogue: shows rings currently worn.
">" Adom: descend stairs
">" Angband: descend stairs
">" Moria: descend stairs
">" Nethack: descend stairs
">" Rogue: descend stairs.
"?" Adom: online help
"?" Angband: help
"?" Moria: display a list of commands.
"?" Nethack: print command list.
"?" Rogue: explains a command. explaining * gives the command list.
"@" Adom: display extended character info
"@" Angband: macro screen: load or save macros from user prefs, or
record.
"A" Adom: display skills
"A" Angband: activate an artifact
"B" Adom: display background
"B" Angband: Bash/force a door
"B" Moria: Bash (break things or bash a monster)
"B" Nethack: take multiple steps Southeast until running in to
something.
"B" Rogue: Move down & left until running into something.
"C" Adom: chat with monsters
"C" Angband: character description screen
"C" Moria: print character screen to a file
"D" Adom: Drink a potion
"D" Angband: Disarm a trap
"D" Moria: Disarm a trap
"D" Nethack: Drop several things.
"D" Rogue: Display player knowledge about magic items (doesn't include
armor & weapons)
"E" Adom: clean ears
"E" Angband: Eat something
"E" Moria: Eat some food
"F" Adom: wipe face.
"F" Angband: Fuel your lantern or start a new torch
"F" Moria: Fuel lantern or lamp.
"F1" Adom: set berserker tactics
"F2" Adom: set very aggressive tactics
"F3" Adom: set aggressive tactics
"F4" Adom: set normal tactics
"F5" Adom: set defensive tactics
"F6" Adom: set very defensive tactics
"F7" Adom: set coward tactics
"G" Angband: Learn new spells.
"G" Nethack: move until something interesting is found, but forking of
corridors is not considered interesting.
"H" Adom: change highlight mode
"H" Nethack: take multiple steps West until running in to something.
"H" Rogue: move left until running into something.
"I" Adom: miscellaneous equipment
"I" Angband: Items special screen (info on previously *Identified*
items)
"I" Nethack: print selected parts of your inventory.
"I" Rogue: selective inventory (tells what a particular item is)
"J" Nethack: take multiple steps South until running in to something.
"J" Rogue: Move down until running into something.
"K" Adom: display kick damage
"K" Angband: destroy something
"K" Nethack: take multiple steps North until running in to something.
"K" Rogue: Move up until running into something.
"L" Adom: check literacy
"L" Angband: Locate player on map (draws scale map with character
marked)
"L" Moria: display current map coordinates
"L" Nethack: take multiple steps East until running in to something.
"L" Rogue: Move right until running into something.
"M" Adom: display missile statistics
"M" Angband: Full Screen Map (allows scrolling around map at 1:1 scale)
"M" Nethack: move until running into something, in the indicated
direction without picking up any objects.
"N" Nethack: take multiple steps Southwest until running in to
something.
"N" Rogue: Move down & right until running into something.
"O" Adom: sacrifice something
"P" Adom: display shopping bill
"P" Angband/rlkeys: browse/Peruse a book (displays available spells)
"P" Moria: Print explored dungeon map to a file.
"P" Nethack: Put on a ring.
"P" Rogue: Put on a ring.
"Q" Adom: quit game (suicide)
"Q" Angband: commit suicide.
"Q" Nethack: Quit the game. (suicide)
"Q" Rogue: Quit (suicide).
"R" Adom: display Recipes
"R" Angband: Rest (turn count to be supplied)
"R" Moria: Rest for a number of turns
"R" Nethack: Remove Ring.
"R" Rogue: Remove a ring.
"S" Adom: save & exit
"S" Angband/rlkeys: jam/spike a door
"S" Angband: toggle search mode (search-on-every-move mode)
"S" Moria: Toggle search mode
"S" Nethack: Save the game.
"S" Rogue: Save current game
"T" Adom: change tactics
"T" Angband/rlkeys: take off something
"T" Angband: Tunnel
"T" Moria: Tunnel
"T" Nethack: Take off armor.
"T" Rogue: Take off armor.
"U" Adom: Use item
"U" Nethack: take multiple steps Northwest until running in to
something.
"U" Rogue: Move up & right until running into something.
"V" Adom: display version
"V" Angband: give game version
"W" Adom: display weapon statistics
"W" Angband/rlkeys: Locate player on map
"W" Nethack: Wear armor.
"W" Rogue: Wear some armor.
"X" Nethack: transcribe (learn) a spell.
"Y" Nethack: take multiple steps Northeast until running in to
something.
"Y" Rogue: Move up & left until running into something.
"Z" Adom: cast spell
"Z" Angband/rlkeys: use/Zap a staff
"[" Adom: create screenshot
"[" Nethack: ask for current armor.
"\" Adom: display chaos powers
"\" Nethack: tell what has been discovered.
"]" Rogue: shows armor currently worn.
"^" Nethack: ask for the type of a trap you found earlier.
"_" Adom: pray
"a" Adom: apply skill
"a" Angband/rlkeys: activate/zap a rod
"a" Angband: aim/zap a wand
"a" Moria: Aim a wand
"b" Angband: browse/Peruse a book (displays available spells)
"b" Moria: browse a book. (displays available spells)
"b" Nethack: take one step Southeast.
"b" Rogue: move down & left one space
"c" Adom: close door
"c" Angband: close a door
"c" Moria: close a door.
"c" Rogue: gives a name to an object type.
"control-<direction>" Angband: apply Alter ("+") command in some
direction
"control-<direction>" Rogue: identify trap.
"control-A" Adom: toggle auto-pickup mode
"control-B" Rogue: move down & left until disturbed.
"control-D" Adom: set items down gently.
"control-D" Angband/rlkeys: destroy something
"control-E" Adom: display elapsed game time.
"control-E" Angband: Toggle window choices (control multiwindow display)
"control-F" Angband: repeat "level feeling" - a hint about risk at this
level
"control-H" Rogue: move left until disturbed.
"control-I" Adom: invoke Mindcraft
"control-J" Rogue: move down until disturbed.
"control-K" Adom: switch the required (more) key.
"control-K" Rogue: move up until disturbed.
"control-L" Adom: look at item
"control-L" Rogue: move right until disturbed.
"control-M" Moria: redisplays most recent message.
"control-N" Rogue: move down & right until disturbed.
"control-P" Adom: pick up items (gently)
"control-P" Angband: view previous messages
"control-P" Nethack: previous messages.
"control-P" Rogue: Print the last message.
"control-R" Adom: redraw screen
"control-R" Angband:Redraw the screen
"control-R" Moria: redraw screen.
"control-R" Nethack: redraw the screen.
"control-R" Rogue: redraws the screen.
"control-S" Angband: Save without quitting.
"control-T" Adom: activate trap
"control-T" Angband/rlkeys: Tunnel
"control-T" Nethack: teleport.
"control-U" Rogue: move up & right until disturbed.
"control-W" Adom: display weapon skills
"control-X" Adom: use class power
"control-X" Angband: Save and quit.
"control-Y" Moria: Quit without saving (suicide)
"control-Y" Rogue: move up & left until disturbed.
"control-Z" Moria: Save and Quit
"control-Z" Nethack: Suspend the game.
"control-o" Adom: issue order to companion
"control-u" Adom: unlock door
"d" Adom: Drop something
"d" Angband: drop something
"d" Moria: drop something.
"d" Nethack: drop something (e.g. d7a: drop seven items of object a.)
"d" Rogue: Drop an object.
"e" Adom: eat something
"e" Angband: equipment list
"e" Moria: Equipment list.
"e" Nethack: eat food.
"e" Rogue: Eat some food
"escape" Angband: exit a mode or cancel a command.
"escape" Rogue: cancel a command, prefix, or count.
"f" Angband/rlkeys: Bash/Force a door
"f" Angband: fire an item
"f" Moria: throw something or fire a missile weapon.
"f" Rogue: fight until someone dies.
"g" Adom: give item to monster
"g" Angband: stand still without picking up stuff.
"g" Nethack: move until something interesting is found.
"h" Adom: handle something
"h" Moria: enter help mode.
"h" Nethack: take one step West (i.e. to the left side of the screen).
"h" Rogue: move left one space
"i" Adom: inventory
"i" Angband: inventory list
"i" Moria: inventory list
"i" Nethack: print your inventory.
"j" Angband: jam/spike a door
"j" Moria: Jam a door with a spike.
"j" Nethack: take one step South (i.e. to the bottom of the screen).
"j" Rogue: move down one space
"k" Adom: kick something
"k" Nethack: take one step North (i.e. to the top of the screen).
"k" Rogue: move up one space
"l" Adom: look around
"l" Angband: Look around/examine
"l" Moria: Look at something.
"l" Nethack: take one step East (i.e. to the right side of the screen).
"l" Rogue: move right one space
"m" Adom: use special ability
"m" Angband: cast a spell. (mages)
"m" Moria: cast a spell. (wizards)
"m" Nethack: move in the indicated direction without picking up any
objects.
"m" Rogue: move without picking stuff up.
"n" Adom: give an individual name to a monster or change character's
name.
"n" Nethack: take one step Southwest.
"n" Rogue: move down & right one space
"o" Adom: open door
"o" Angband: open something
"o" Moria: Open a door, chest, or lock.
"o" Rogue: examine & set game options.
"p" Adom: pay shopkeeper
"p" Angband: cast a spell (priests)
"p" Moria: cast a spell. (priests)
"p" Nethack: pay your shopping bill.
"q" Adom: display quest status
"q" Angband: quaff a potion
"q" Moria: quaff a potion.
"q" Nethack: drink (quaff) a potion.
"q" Rogue: Quaff a potion
"r Nethack:read a scroll.
"r" Adom: read something
"r" Angband: read a scroll
"r" Moria: read a scroll
"r" Rogue: read a scroll
"s" Adom: search in place
"s" Angband: search in place
"s" Moria: search in place.
"s" Nethack: search for secret doors and traps around you.
"s" Rogue: Search in place.
"t" Adom: shoot/throw missile
"t" Angband/rlkeys: fire an item
"t" Angband: take off something
"t" Moria: take off equipment.
"t" Nethack: throw an object or shoot an arrow.
"t" Rogue: throw an object
"u" Adom: use tool
"u" Angband: use/Zap a staff
"u" Moria: use a staff
"u" Nethack: take one step Northwest.
"u" Rogue: move up & right one space
"v" Angband: throw an item
"v" Moria: Display game version.
"v" Rogue: version number
"w" Angband: wear or wield something
"w" Moria: Wear or Wield
"w" Nethack: wield/unwield weapons.
"w" Rogue: Wield a weapon.
"w<direction>" Adom: walk until disturbed.
"ws" Adom: toggle search mode
"x" Adom: display required experience
"x" Angband/rlkeys: Look around/examine
"x" Moria: exchange primary and secondary weapons
"x" Nethack: print a list of know spells.
"y" Nethack: take one step Northeast.
"y" Rogue: move up & left one space
"z" Angband/rlkeys: aim/zap a wand
"z" Angband: activate/zap a rod
"z" Nethack: zap a wand.
"z" Rogue: zap a wand or staff
"{" Angband: inscribe an object (interacts with macros)
"}" Angband: remove an inscription from an object
"~" Angband: review artifacts, uniques, and objects.

Kornel Kisielewicz

Aug 12, 2004, 5:01:56 PM8/12/04
Ray Dillinger wrote:
> This is basically a "for each key, what do the various roguelikes
> out there use that key for" list.
>
> I compiled this when deciding where to put commands in my game,
> and I thought this might be useful for all the developers out there
> who are wondering what key they can stick a particular command
> on without surprising their audience too much.
>
> The games covered here are the pillars of the roguelike genre:
> Rogue, Nethack, Angband, Adom, and Moria. I omitted slash'em
> because it's largely identical to nethack and TOME because it's
> largely identical to Angband. If you think some other pillar
> is very important, feel free to extend the list.

You forgot Crawl! (but I'm to lazy to add it here :) )

Instead, based on your post I present the Generic Roguelike Keyboard Layout
GR KL ;).

ISO-@-1000
Generic Roguelike Keyboard Layout (Incomplete - just the standards :)

"!" Escape to a shell/console etc.
"$" Display current wealth
"," Pick up items
"." Wait one turn
"/" Identify (items or symbols)
"12346789" Move/attack in respective directions.
"5" Wait one turn
"<" Climb stairs
">" Descend stairs
"?" Online help
"@" Display extended character info (this is not standard, but should be
:) )
"B" Bash
"E" Eat something
"I" Selective inventory (tells what a particular item is)
"Q" Quit game (suicide)
"S" Save & exit
"V" Display version
"a" Activate
"c" Close door
"control-P" view previous messages
"control-R" redraw screen
"d" Drop something
"e" Equipment list
"i" Inventory
"l" Look around/examine

"l" Moria: Look at something.

"o" Open something
"q" Quaf/Drink something
"r" Read something
"s" Search in place
"t" Shoot/throw missile
"u" Use something
"v" Version number
"w" Wear or wield something

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Ray Dillinger

Aug 14, 2004, 10:52:03 PM8/14/04
Ray Dillinger wrote:

> This is basically a "for each key, what do the various roguelikes
> out there use that key for" list.
>
> I compiled this when deciding where to put commands in my game,
> and I thought this might be useful for all the developers out there
> who are wondering what key they can stick a particular command
> on without surprising their audience too much.

On review, Crawl has a number of surprises. For example
diagonal movement is accomplished using the home, pgup,
pgdown, and end keys (northeast, northwest, southwest,
and southeast, respectively).

Clearly the intent is for people to be using the number pad
with the num lock off. With the num lock on, diagonal
movement on the number pad doesn't work. (but waiting on
. and delete (same key with num lock on or off) works
regardless?

the up-arrow and down-arrow keys proper have an identity
distinct from the up-arrow and down-arrow on the numeric
pad minus num lock; they scroll the display instead of
moving.

The shift and control states are checked even for numeric
keypad keys; they do different things depending on whether
a shift key or control key is down. (an attack command
that doesn't move if there's nothing there to hit, and
checking for traps, respectively).

Most of the rest of it's pretty standard stuff; but clearly
it's using something that access hardware at a lower level
than the curses library to read the keyboard inputs and
has an interface which contains several surprises.

Updated command list, now includes Crawl.

"!" Adom: dip something (into potion)
"!" Angband: interact with interface. (Dos version only)

"!" Crawl: shout or give commands to allies

"!" Nethack: Escape to a shell.
"!" Rogue: escape to a (restricted) shell.
"#" Angband/rlkeys: toggle search mode

"#" Crawl: write character info to text file

"#" Nethack: invoke extended commands.
"#?" Nethack: -- list extended commands
"#b" Nethack: -- breathe (breathweapon)
"#c" Nethack: -- cast spell
"#d" Nethack: -- dip something in something
"#p" Nethack: -- plead for divine intervention
"#r" Nethack: -- remove cursed item
"#s" Nethack: -- sit down
"#t" Nethack: -- turn undead
"#w" Nethack: -- wipe face
"$" Adom: display current wealth
"$" Moria: Shell out of the game.
"$" Nethack: count how many gold pieces you are carrying.
"%" Angband: Interact with visuals (letters and attribs used as icons).
"&" Adom: recall monster memory
"&" Angband: change colors.

"'" Crawl: switch item

"(" Adom: create short character log
"(" Angband: Load screen dump
")" Adom: create verbose character log
")" Angband: Save screen dump
")" Nethack: shows weapon currently wielded.
")" Rogue: shows weapon currently wielded.
"*" Angband: Select a target
"*" Rogue: list inventory.
"+" Angband: Alter (open/close doors, tunnel walls, disarm traps)

"+" Crawl: scroll level map up

"," Adom: pick up items
"," Angband/rlkeys: run (move until disturbed or choose path)
"," Angband: Stand still, pick up whatever you're on.

"," Crawl: get or pick up item.

"," Nethack: pick up some things.
"-" Angband: walk (direction to be specified) picking up stuff inverted

"-" Crawl: scroll level map down

"." Adom: wait one turn
"." Angband/rlkeys: Stand still, pick up whatever you're on.
"." Angband: run (move until disturbed or forced to choose between paths)

"." Crawl: Rest one turn

"." Moria: Walk (takes direction) until disturbed.
"." Nethack: rest, do nothing.
"." Rogue: Rest
"/" Adom: display identified items
"/" Angband: identify a character (allows access to detailed monster memory)
"/" Moria: Identify a character on the screen.
"/" Nethack: (followed by any symbol): tell what this symbol represents.
"/" Rogue: identify an on-screen character.
"12346789" Adom: move/attack in respective directions.
"12346789" Angband: walk/attack in a direction.

"12346789" Crawl: move one step. (keypad, but ONLY with num lock off)

"12346789" Moria: walk/attack in a direction.
"5" Adom: wait one turn
"5" Angband: stand still without picking up stuff.

"5" Crawl: wait one turn.

"5" Moria: stand still one turn.

":" Adom: invoke extended commands.

":" Angband: take notes (places your writing in previous messages)
":" Nethack: look at what is here.

":=" Adom: set variable
":Z" Adom: mark spells (has to do with skills system)
":b" Adom: display burden levels
":c" Adom: display companions
":d" Adom: extend drop (drop lots of things at once)
":g" Adom: display your diety's name.
":k" Adom: display killed monsters
":m" Adom: display message buffer
":p" Adom: extend pay (pay for lots of things at once)
":s" Adom: swap positions with a monster
":t" Adom: switch dynamic display (turns, speed, energy, gold, ammunition)
":u" Adom: extend use (use things in nondefault ways)
":w" Adom: describe weather
":w" Adom: display monster wound status
";" Adom: pick up items (fast)
";" Angband: walk (direction to be specified) picking up stuff normally.

";" Crawl: examine occupied space

"<" Adom: climb stairs
"<" Angband: climb stairs

"<" Crawl: climb stairs.

"<" Moria: climb stairs
"<" Nethack: climb stairs
"<" Rogue: climb stairs. (can't be done without amulet of yendor)
"=" Adom: display configuration variables
"=" Angband: set/unset game options.

"=" Crawl: reassign inventory/spell letters

"=" Nethack: ask for current rings.
"=" Rogue: shows rings currently worn.
">" Adom: descend stairs
">" Angband: descend stairs

">" Crawl: descend stairs.

">" Moria: descend stairs
">" Nethack: descend stairs
">" Rogue: descend stairs.
"?" Adom: online help
"?" Angband: help

"?" Crawl: display command list.

"@" Crawl: character health status

"A" Adom: display skills
"A" Angband: activate an artifact

"A" Crawl: list abilities/mutations

"B" Adom: display background
"B" Angband: Bash/force a door
"B" Moria: Bash (break things or bash a monster)
"B" Nethack: take multiple steps Southeast until running in to something.
"B" Rogue: Move down & left until running into something.
"C" Adom: chat with monsters
"C" Angband: character description screen

"C" Crawl: check experience information

"C" Moria: print character screen to a file
"D" Adom: Drink a potion
"D" Angband: Disarm a trap

"D" Crawl: dissect a corpse

"D" Moria: Disarm a trap
"D" Nethack: Drop several things.
"D" Rogue: Display player knowledge about magic items (doesn't include
armor & weapons)
"E" Adom: clean ears
"E" Angband: Eat something

"E" Crawl: evoke/invoke special power (if any) of wielded item

"L" Angbnad: Locate player on map (draws scale map with character marked)

"L" Moria: display current map coordinates
"L" Nethack: take multiple steps East until running in to something.
"L" Rogue: Move right until running into something.
"M" Adom: display missile statistics
"M" Angband: Full Screen Map (allows scrolling around map at 1:1 scale)

"M" Crawl: Memorize a spell

"M" Nethack: move until running into something, in the indicated
direction without picking up any objects.
"N" Nethack: take multiple steps Southwest until running in to something.
"N" Rogue: Move down & right until running into something.
"O" Adom: sacrifice something

"O" Crawl: overview/summary of current dungeon level

"P" Adom: display shopping bill
"P" Angband/rlkeys: browse/Peruse a book (displays available spells)

"P" Crawl: put on jewelry

"P" Moria: Print explored dungeon map to a file.
"P" Nethack: Put on a ring.
"P" Rogue: Put on a ring.
"Q" Adom: quit game (suicide)
"Q" Angband: commit suicide.

"Q" Crawl: quit without saving

"Q" Nethack: Quit the game. (suicide)
"Q" Rogue: Quit (suicide).
"R" Adom: display Recipes
"R" Angband: Rest (turn count to be supplied)

"R" Crawl: take off jewelry

"R" Moria: Rest for a number of turns
"R" Nethack: Remove Ring.
"R" Rogue: Remove a ring.
"S" Adom: save & exit
"S" Angband/rlkeys: jam/spike a door
"S" Angband: toggle search mode (search-on-every-move mode)

"S" Crawl: save game & exit

"S" Moria: Toggle search mode
"S" Nethack: Save the game.
"S" Rogue: Save current game

"Shift-5" Crawl: (shift, plus keypad 5) rest 100 turns or until disturbed

"T" Adom: change tactics
"T" Angband/rlkeys: take off something
"T" Angband: Tunnel

"T" Crawl: take off armor(includes shields, gloves, boots, etc)

"T" Moria: Tunnel
"T" Nethack: Take off armor.
"T" Rogue: Take off armor.
"U" Adom: Use item
"U" Nethack: take multiple steps Northwest until running in to something.
"U" Rogue: Move up & right until running into something.
"V" Adom: display version
"V" Angband: give game version

"V" Crawl: game version information

"W" Adom: display weapon statistics
"W" Angband/rlkeys: Locate player on map

"W" Crawl: wear armor (includes shields, gloves, boots, etc)

"W" Nethack: Wear armor.
"W" Rogue: Wear some armor.

"X" Crawl: view automap of level

"X" Nethack: transcribe (learn) a spell.
"Y" Nethack: take multiple steps Northeast until running in to something.
"Y" Rogue: Move up & left until running into something.
"Z" Adom: cast spell
"Z" Angband/rlkeys: use/Zap a staff

"Z" Crawl: cast a spell

"[" Adom: create screenshot
"[" Nethack: ask for current armor.
"\" Adom: display chaos powers

"\" Crawl: display list of known items.

"\" Nethack: tell what has been discovered.

"]" Crawl: display worn armor

"]" Rogue: shows armor currently worn.

"^" Crawl: character religion description

"^" Nethack: ask for the type of a trap you found earlier.
"_" Adom: pray
"a" Adom: apply skill
"a" Angband/rlkeys: activate/zap a rod
"a" Angband: aim/zap a wand

"a" Crawl: use special ability

"a" Moria: Aim a wand

"arrow keys" Crawl: scroll level map

"b" Angband: browse/Peruse a book (displays available spells)
"b" Moria: browse a book. (displays available spells)
"b" Nethack: take one step Southeast.
"b" Rogue: move down & left one space
"c" Adom: close door
"c" Angband: close a door

"c" Crawl: close door

"c" Moria: close a door.
"c" Rogue: gives a name to an object type.
"control-<direction>" Angband: apply Alter ("+") command in some direction

"control-<direction>" Crawl: attack monsters or find/remove traps

"control-<direction>" Rogue: identify trap.
"control-A" Adom: toggle auto-pickup mode

"control-A" Crawl: toggle autopickup mode

"control-B" Rogue: move down & left until disturbed.
"control-D" Adom: set items down gently.
"control-D" Angband/rlkeys: destroy something
"control-E" Adom: display elapsed game time.
"control-E" Angband: Toggle window choices (control multiwindow display)
"control-F" Angband: repeat "level feeling" - a hint about risk at this
level
"control-H" Rogue: move left until disturbed.
"control-I" Adom: invoke Mindcraft
"control-J" Rogue: move down until disturbed.
"control-K" Adom: switch the required (more) key.
"control-K" Rogue: move up until disturbed.
"control-L" Adom: look at item
"control-L" Rogue: move right until disturbed.
"control-M" Moria: redisplays most recent message.
"control-N" Rogue: move down & right until disturbed.
"control-P" Adom: pick up items (gently)
"control-P" Angband: view previous messages

"control-P" Crawl: see old messages

"control-P" Nethack: previous messages.
"control-P" Rogue: Print the last message.
"control-R" Adom: redraw screen
"control-R" Angband:Redraw the screen

"control-R" Crawl: redraw screen

"control-R" Moria: redraw screen.
"control-R" Nethack: redraw the screen.
"control-R" Rogue: redraws the screen.
"control-S" Angband: Save without quitting.
"control-T" Adom: activate trap
"control-T" Angband/rlkeys: Tunnel
"control-T" Nethack: teleport.
"control-U" Rogue: move up & right until disturbed.
"control-W" Adom: display weapon skills
"control-X" Adom: use class power
"control-X" Angband: Save and quit.

"control-X" Crawl: save game without query

"control-Y" Moria: Quit without saving (suicide)
"control-Y" Rogue: move up & left until disturbed.
"control-Z" Moria: Save and Quit
"control-Z" Nethack: Suspend the game.
"control-o" Adom: issue order to companion
"control-u" Adom: unlock door
"d" Adom: Drop something
"d" Angband: drop something

"d" Crawl: drop an item

"d" Moria: drop something.
"d" Nethack: drop something (e.g. d7a: drop seven items of object a.

"d" Rogue: Drop an object.

"del" Crawl: wait one turn.
"down-arrow" Adom: move one space south
"down-arrow" Angband: move one space south
"down-arrow" Crawl: scroll display down.
"down-arrow" Moria: move one space south

"e" Adom: eat something
"e" Angband: equipment list

"e" Crawl: eat food

"e" Moria: Equipment list.
"e" Nethack: eat food.
"e" Rogue: Eat some food

"end" Crawl: move one space southeast.

"escape" Rogue: cancel a command, prefix, or count.
"f" Angband/rlkeys: Bash/Force a door
"f" Angband: fire an item

"f" Crawl: fire first available missile weapon

"f" Moria: throw something or fire a missile weapon.
"f" Rogue: fight until someone dies.
"g" Adom: give item to monster
"g" Angband: stand still without picking up stuff.

"g" Crawl: get or pick up item.

"g" Nethack: move until something interesting is found.
"h" Adom: handle something
"h" Moria: enter help mode.
"h" Nethack: take one step West (i.e. to the left side of the screen).
"h" Rogue: move left one space

"home" Crawl: move one space northeast

"i" Adom: inventory
"i" Angband: inventory list

"i" Crawl: inventory

"i" Moria: inventory list
"i" Nethack: print your inventory.
"j" Angband: jam/spike a door
"j" Moria: Jam a door with a spike.
"j" Nethack: take one step South (i.e. to the bottom of the screen).
"j" Rogue: move down one space
"k" Adom: kick

"k" Nethack: take one step North (i.e. to the top of the screen).
"k" Rogue: move up one space
"l" Adom: look around
"l" Angband: Look around/examine
"l" Moria: Look at something.
"l" Nethack: take one step East (i.e. to the right side of the screen).
"l" Rogue: move right one space

"left-arrow" Adom: move one space east
"left-arrow" Angband: move one space east
"left-arrow" Crawl: move one space east.
"left-arrow" Moria: move one space east

"m" Adom: use special ability
"m" Angband: cast a spell. (mages)
"m" Moria: cast a spell. (wizards)
"m" Nethack: move in the indicated direction without picking up any objects.
"m" Rogue: move without picking stuff up.
"n" Adom: give an individual name to a monster or change character's name.

"n" Crawl: check skills

"n" Nethack: take one step Southwest.
"n" Rogue: move down & right one space
"o" Adom: open door
"o" Angband: open something

"o" Crawl: open door (doors also open on bump)

"o" Moria: Open a door, chest, or lock.
"o" Rogue: examine & set game options.
"p" Adom: pay shopkeeper
"p" Angband: cast a spell (priests)

"p" Crawl: pray

"p" Moria: cast a spell. (priests)
"p" Nethack: pay your shopping bill.

"page down" Crawl: move one space southwest.
"page up" Crawl: move one space northwest.

"q" Adom: display quest status
"q" Angband: quaff a potion

"q" Crawl: quaff potion

"q" Moria: quaff a potion.
"q" Nethack: drink (quaff) a potion.
"q" Rogue: Quaff a potion
"r Nethack:read a scroll.
"r" Adom: read something
"r" Angband: read a scroll

"r" Crawl: read a scroll or book

"r" Moria: read a scroll
"r" Rogue: read a scroll

"right-arrow" Adom: move one space west
"right-arrow" Angband: move one space west
"right-arrow" Crawl: move one space west
"right-arrow" Moria: move one space west

"s" Adom: search in place
"s" Angband: search in place

"s" Crawl: search adjacent spaces for traps, secret doors, etc

"s" Moria: search in place.
"s" Nethack: search for secret doors and traps around you.
"s" Rogue: Search in place.

"shift-<direction>" Crawl: Long walk.

"t" Adom: shoot/throw missile
"t" Angband/rlkeys: fire an item
"t" Angband: take off something

"t" Crawl: Throw or shoot an item

"t" Moria: take off equipment.
"t" Nethack: throw an object or shoot an arrow.
"t" Rogue: throw an object
"u" Adom: use tool
"u" Angband: use/Zap a staff
"u" Moria: use a staff
"u" Nethack: take one step Northwest.
"u" Rogue: move up & right one space

"up-arrow" Adom: move one space north
"up-arrow" Angband: move one space north
"up-arrow" Crawl: scroll display up.
"up-arrow" Moria: move one space north

"v" Angband: throw an item

"v" Crawl: view inventory item description

"v" Moria: Display game version.
"v" Rogue: version number
"w" Angband: wear or wield something

"w" Crawl: wield or ready a weapon or item

"w" Moria: Wear or Wield
"w" Nethack: wield/unwield weapons.
"w" Rogue: Wield a weapon.
"w<direction>" Adom: walk until disturbed.
"ws" Adom: toggle search mode
"x" Adom: display required experience
"x" Angband/rlkeys: Look around/examine

"x" Crawl: examine surroundings within lineofsight.

"x" Moria: exchange primary and secondary weapons
"x" Nethack: print a list of know spells.
"y" Nethack: take one step Northeast.
"y" Rogue: move up & left one space
"z" Angband/rlkeys: aim/zap a wand
"z" Angband: activate/zap a rod

"z" Crawl: zap a wand

Mike Blackney

Aug 15, 2004, 3:03:23 AM8/15/04
"Ray Dillinger" <be...@sonic.net> communicated:

> Ray Dillinger wrote:
> >
> > This is basically a "for each key, what do the various roguelikes
> > out there use that key for" list.
> >
> > I compiled this when deciding where to put commands in my game,
> > and I thought this might be useful for all the developers out there
> > who are wondering what key they can stick a particular command
> > on without surprising their audience too much.
>
> On review, Crawl has a number of surprises. For example
> diagonal movement is accomplished using the home, pgup,
> pgdown, and end keys (northeast, northwest, southwest,
> and southeast, respectively).
>
> Clearly the intent is for people to be using the number pad
> with the num lock off. With the num lock on, diagonal
> movement on the number pad doesn't work. (but waiting on
> . and delete (same key with num lock on or off) works
> regardless?

Clearly system dependant. On my system, num-pad keys work for movement.
When num-lock is on, these keys work in 'run' mode (as I think of it).
With num-lock off, they work as normal movement keys. I'm running XP
and have two versions that both act the same.

I also should note that I play all roguelikes using the non-numberpad
cursor keys - it gives me one-handed access to the Shift and Ctrl keys,
and I'm used to using them for navigation in Rhide & Borland IDEs. I
think that all games that support num-pad keys should support using the
home/end/pgup/pgdn keys as standard.

<snip>

Incredibly useful list BTW. I've thought about doing this myself for
some time but haven't been bothered. Perhaps you'd be interested in
compiling a similar list for monster characters / colours? ;)

--
michaelblackney at hotmail dot com
http://aburatan.sourceforge.net/

Lauri Vallo

Aug 15, 2004, 6:00:54 AM8/15/04
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:52:03 GMT, Ray Dillinger wrote:

>"n" Crawl: check skills

this should be m

Ray Dillinger

Aug 15, 2004, 12:45:59 PM8/15/04

Sorry about that.

Bear
"slain by a typo on level 3"

Tom Barnes-Lawrence

Aug 16, 2004, 1:16:33 AM8/16/04
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:03:23 +1000, Mike Blackney wrote:

<snip>
> Incredibly useful list BTW. I've thought about doing this myself for
> some time but haven't been bothered. Perhaps you'd be interested in
> compiling a similar list for monster characters / colours? ;)

FWIW, I compiled a similar list of the symbols for items (and also some
dungeon features) in the various roguelike games I could think of, as I
wanted to decide on a suitable set for my game (Porrog). I ended up
making a selection that IMO should be *broadly* familiar to users of most
roguelikes, whilst having a good level of internal consistency.

Anyway, my list was just pretty rough notes for myself, and I can't be
bothered editing it from my notes because it's late, but here it is:

Here's what the others use:
ROGUE: ]=armour, )=weapon/ranged/missile, = =ring,
/=staff/wand. [,(, {} are not defined. No amulets? %=stairs (down).
#=passage

NH: )=weapon, [=any armour:suit/shield/helmet/gloves/etc
(=tool, [=suit/armour (]=mimic), {}=scenery (water/fountain)
"=amulet/web, &=demon. /=wand, <=stairs up >=stairs down (GOOD)
#=passage

ADOM: #=wall, /=open door, &=forge/other feature, = =water
[=any armour/shield? \=wand, (=weapon,
}=missile weapon, /=missile, ]=tool. {=music instmnt.
= =ring, "=book, ' =neckwear, ~=bracers (surely are armour?)
) doesn't represent anything? &= feature/forest/demon!
<=stairs up, >=stairs down. (GOOD)

OMEGA: |=open door, -=closed door, #=wall, "=hedge, *=heap, 1-0=features
)=weapon, (=missile weapon, ]=suit of armour, [=shield,
}=cloak, {=pair of boots, = =ring. No helmets! No sign of missiles
for the missile weapons? no amulets. /=stick (as in wand?)

ZANG: |=blade, /=polearm/axe, \=hafted (mace),
(=armour/cloak, )=shield, ]=head,gloves,boots, [=hard armour.
}=missile weapon, {=missile. ,=food...
= =ring, "=amulet &=chest! ~=other tool (incl junk)
-=wand/rod _=staff <=stairs up >=stairs down #=wall
%=mineral vein/tree *=buried treasure.
CRAWL (blurgh): #=wall, <=up, >=down(GOOD).
)=weapon (sword,dagger,club,spear,mace, axe)...
)=missiles (arrows,darts,needles,bolts,stones),
)=missile weapons (blowgun) do we see a pattern here? ;)
[=armour(robe,leather armour),
%=food/corpse
"=amulet
(End of comparison of other roguelikes)

Dunno if that's of any use to anyone, but there it is.
-Tomble
--
---------------Contact Info-------------------
$(USER)=tomble $(DOMAIN)=usermail.com

su

Aug 19, 2004, 12:07:23 AM8/19/04
Can anyone add Hack/PC-Hack symbols and key commands?

Björn Bergström

Aug 19, 2004, 4:58:28 AM8/19/04
su wrote:

> Can anyone add Hack/PC-Hack symbols and key commands?

That's a bit lazy don't you think? Why not do it youselfand post the
result here?

> [snip symbols]

Regards,
Björn Bergström