7DRL: MechRL

kev....@googlemail.com

Mar 11, 2012, 8:51:55 AM3/11/12
In approximately 10 minutes it will be Sunday, 2pm CET and i will start working on my 7DRL for this year, namely MechRL. It will be a roguelike inspired by MechWarrior, more informations can be found on my dev blog http://http://kmees.github.com/ I will also stream while coding on twitch.tv (http://www.twitch.tv/kmees).

Good luck to all that participate

-- kev

Josh Ge

Mar 11, 2012, 9:50:18 AM3/11/12
On Mar 11, 8:51 pm, kev.m...@googlemail.com wrote:
> In approximately 10 minutes it will be Sunday, 2pm CET and i will start working on  my 7DRL for this year, namely MechRL. It will be a roguelike inspired by MechWarrior, more informations can be found on my dev bloghttp://http://kmees.github.com/I will also stream while coding on twitch.tv (http://www.twitch.tv/kmees).
>
> Good luck to all that participate
>
> -- kev

What a coincidence, I was going to do BattletechRL for this year's
7DRL, but then decided to postpone that idea since it could only be
faithfully done with hexes, and I don't have a hex engine ready.
Instead I'll be doing a Battletech-inspired robot RL, starting, um,
now. Guess I'd better go make my own announcement thread...

Kevin Mees

Mar 19, 2012, 4:43:14 AM3/19/12
Did you have success with your RL? I failed kinda miserably, but maybe we should team up next year. The world needs a MechWarrior RL :P

Josh Ge

Mar 19, 2012, 10:43:37 AM3/19/12
I managed to do more or less what I intended, and it's both playable and winnable, so it qualifies as a success. You're right, the world does need a MW RL. I'd love to take up the challenge next year, but I might be unavailable for the entire year :( I suppose I'll just store away all BattletechRL notes I made a month or so ago and perhaps one day dust them off to actually make an attempt...

corremn

Mar 20, 2012, 1:21:47 AM3/20/12
On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:13:37 AM UTC+10:30, Josh Ge wrote:
> On Monday, March 19, 2012 4:43:14 PM UTC+8, Kevin Mees wrote:

> > > What a coincidence, I was going to do BattletechRL for this year's
> > > 7DRL, but then decided to postpone that idea since it could only be
> > > faithfully done with hexes, and I don't have a hex engine ready.
> > > Instead I'll be doing a Battletech-inspired robot RL, starting, um,
> > > now. Guess I'd better go make my own announcement thread...
> >
> > Did you have success with your RL? I failed kinda miserably, but maybe we should team up next year. The world needs a MechWarrior RL :P

Guys there is Gearhead. http://www.gearheadrpg.com/

Josh Ge

Mar 20, 2012, 7:51:36 PM3/20/12
Yeah, I tried it a long time ago, and didn't find it very fun. I also would want to set the game in the actual Battletech universe, with all the same tech, mechs, background stories, and PnP gameplay/rules (I had a lot of fun with the original game as a kid)--in other words, a faithful BattletechRL.

corremn

Mar 21, 2012, 6:01:50 AM3/21/12
Yeah likewise. I think Jo was scared of a legal battle with Battletech guys, a 7drl should not really bother the legal department though. I would definitely give BattletechRL a go.