7DRL announcement

Fobbah

Mar 7, 2011, 8:49:16 AM3/7/11
Hey all - starting a 7DRL as of the 7th - will be hopefully finishing
a new project on the 13th.

Haven't really got any great ideas for gameplay/title just yet - the
final result will probably be something fairly simple gameplay-wise,
but i'm mostly doing it again this year as an exercise to see if i
can't build a less tightly coupled and generally nicer engine using
better design than my past roguelikes.

Cheers,
Fobbah

corremn

Mar 7, 2011, 5:55:47 PM3/7/11
On Mar 7, 11:49 pm, Fobbah <fob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> can't build a less tightly coupled and generally nicer engine using
> better design than my past roguelikes.

Nothing bad about escape from fobbahland ;)

As long as your engine can do what you want, it is a great engine.

gabriel arthur petrie

Mar 7, 2011, 9:04:06 PM3/7/11
Fobbah <fob...@gmail.com> wrote:,

> but i'm mostly doing it again this year as an exercise to see if i
> can't build a less tightly coupled and generally nicer engine using
> better design than my past roguelikes.

Im surprised to find myself doing the same. I thought I was just going
to gut my existing RL and put in some other little world.

But Kobold Mine was an attempt at the 2krl contest. Today was my first
day to start in earnest and so far ive completely remade the
output/display. I wasnt expecting to do that. I actually got all of that
done today.

Im ending up with some that will be far more useful to other RL attempts
in the future, and I believe I might even already be in better code now
than i had before i lost the source to the full complete vision i have
for Kobold Mines.

Im stoked. Whether i finish in time or not, ill not only have another RL
out, ill be much closer to producing my dream piece than ever before!

--
blaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaahaaaahaaahah

Fobbah

Mar 8, 2011, 12:17:47 AM3/8/11

Odds are that by the time we work on another roguelike after that,
we'll decide there's 10 things we could have done better to make life
easier for ourselves and rewrite it again :)

But it's nicer to work with new good code than old bad code - more
lines to write, but much less time reading/relearning your way around
a bad project.

Gabriel Arthur Petrie (eyenot)

Mar 10, 2011, 6:15:30 PM3/10/11
On 3/8/2011 12:17 AM, Fobbah wrote:
> On Mar 8, 1:04 pm, gabriel arthur petrie<eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Fobbah<fob...@gmail.com> wrote:,
>>> but i'm mostly doing it again this year as an exercise to see if i
>>> can't build a less tightly coupled and generally nicer engine using
>>> better design than my past roguelikes.
>>
>> Im ending up with some that will be far more useful to other RL attempts
>> in the future, and I believe I might even already be in better code now
>> than i had before i lost the source to the full complete vision i have
>> for Kobold Mines.
>>
>> Im stoked. Whether i finish in time or not, ill not only have another RL
>> out, ill be much closer to producing my dream piece than ever before!
>
> Odds are that by the time we work on another roguelike after that,
> we'll decide there's 10 things we could have done better to make life
> easier for ourselves and rewrite it again :)

You say we'll have 10 things to do better like it's that easy! :D
To think up new things.

> But it's nicer to work with new good code than old bad code - more
> lines to write, but much less time reading/relearning your way around
> a bad project.

Heck, yeah. Kobold Mine is sort of a glorified board game, not a proper
roguelike. Hopefully what I'm fleshing out, now, will be.

The kind of programmer I am, one of these days I will code something
where the command set will be expandable through in-code macros or
external textfiles or something, like a true "engine" in every sense of
the word. I get the urge, sometimes.