7DRL - Fictional Rogue - SUCCESS

Tritax

Mar 18, 2012, 2:20:26 PM3/18/12
I'm pleased to announce my first attempt at the 7drl (and roguelikes in general) was a success. I went in thinking I'd picked an idea too complex, but everything ended up working out in the end.

I created a simple, yet extensible context-free grammar parser to manage all of the narrative (room descriptions, combat flavor text, winning/losing, etc). The core rogue-like gameplay has randomly-generated maps, monsters, turn-based combat, line-of-sight, etc.

Fictional Rogue should run under Windows, Mac, or Linux. You can download it here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48714596/IFRL.zip

Any and all feedback is welcome! Thanks!
Tritax (@JDBunnell)

George Oliver

Mar 18, 2012, 4:31:04 PM3/18/12
On Mar 18, 11:20 am, Tritax <feltia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fictional Rogue should run under Windows, Mac, or Linux. You can download it here:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48714596/IFRL.zip
>
> Any and all feedback is welcome! Thanks!
> Tritax (@JDBunnell)

Strange error with Windows XP and Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
(build 1.6.0_12-b04):

C:\Documents and Settings\george\My Documents\downloads\ifrl>java -jar
ifrl.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/
jdbunnell/ifrl/Game : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(Unknown Source)
Could not find the main class: com.jdbunnell.ifrl.Game. Program will
exit.

Jar looks OK to me but I'm not too familiar with Java. Game sounds
interesting though so I look forward to a fix.

Tritax

Mar 18, 2012, 7:32:00 PM3/18/12
On Sunday, March 18, 2012 4:31:04 PM UTC-4, George Oliver wrote:
> On Mar 18, 11:20 am, Tritax <feltia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Fictional Rogue should run under Windows, Mac, or Linux. You can download it here:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48714596/IFRL.zip
> >
> > Any and all feedback is welcome! Thanks!
> > Tritax (@JDBunnell)
>

> Strange error with Windows XP and Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
> (build 1.6.0_12-b04):
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\george\My Documents\downloads\ifrl>java -jar
> ifrl.jar
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/
> jdbunnell/ifrl/Game : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
>
> Could not find the main class: com.jdbunnell.ifrl.Game. Program will
> exit.
>
> Jar looks OK to me but I'm not too familiar with Java. Game sounds
> interesting though so I look forward to a fix.

I'm betting this is because you're running the 1.6 JRE. I built this against the 1.7 JRE. You'll either need to update to the latest JRE, or I can post a build against the 1.6 JRE.

Tritax

Mar 18, 2012, 7:46:46 PM3/18/12
On Sunday, March 18, 2012 4:31:04 PM UTC-4, George Oliver wrote:
> On Mar 18, 11:20 am, Tritax <feltia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Fictional Rogue should run under Windows, Mac, or Linux. You can download it here:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48714596/IFRL.zip
> >
> > Any and all feedback is welcome! Thanks!
> > Tritax (@JDBunnell)
>

> Strange error with Windows XP and Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
> (build 1.6.0_12-b04):
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\george\My Documents\downloads\ifrl>java -jar
> ifrl.jar
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/
> jdbunnell/ifrl/Game : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
>
> Could not find the main class: com.jdbunnell.ifrl.Game. Program will
> exit.
>
> Jar looks OK to me but I'm not too familiar with Java. Game sounds
> interesting though so I look forward to a fix.

I've put together a build against the 1.6 JRE. This should fix the problem you were seeing.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48714596/ifrl_jre6.zip

Ryan Szrama

Mar 18, 2012, 8:05:54 PM3/18/12
I just tried running both .jars with the same result on my Mac (OS X 10.6.8) with the following Java version info:

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_29-b11-402-10M3527)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.4-b02-402, mixed mode)

Looking forward to playing!

-Ryan

George Oliver

Mar 18, 2012, 8:22:11 PM3/18/12
On Mar 18, 4:46 pm, Tritax <feltia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've put together a build against the 1.6 JRE. This should fix the problem you were seeing.

!.6 build gives the same error, maybe bundle the 32 bit runtime with
the jar?

Tritax

Mar 18, 2012, 8:51:03 PM3/18/12
I should apologize. While I reconfigured Eclipse, the build wasn't updating to the 1.6 JRE. I've changed this and I've posted a new version on dropbox:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48714596/ifrl_jre6.zip

I'd hate to bloat up that download with the JRE, but below are the specific version I'm building against.

For the 1.7 JRE: JavaSE 7 Update 3
For the 1.6 JRE: JavaSE 6 Update 31

I hope this helps!

Ryan Szrama

Mar 18, 2012, 8:57:56 PM3/18/12
Just fired it up and I love the concept! It definitely needs a "wait" command so I can let those kobolds come to me instead of opening myself up to attack, but then again I'm not sure you wrote this to produce a highly strategic combat system. : D

The flavor text adds a lot, and I find myself hitting l and trying to click on things in the hope that you might have snuck fun descriptions in somewhere. It doesn't seem like objects necessarily correspond to the "type" of room - are they supposed to, or is such a feature yet to come? For example, no tables or chairs in the old dining hall, and a bed in the sparring room.

Still, I love what you've done with the minimalist tiles and can see this becoming a very enjoyable - even immersive - game. Do you have post-competition plans?

-Ryan

Tritax

Mar 18, 2012, 9:41:58 PM3/18/12
I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

You can actually press an "unbound" key to "wait" a turn. I tend to you the 5 on the keypad, but any key that isn't bound will work. It's really a bug, but it has some valid tactical uses.

It's definitely an idea I was hoping to expand further, but 7 days is a tight schedule. :P I had plans for a system that could place rooms and then decorate them appropriately (Bedrooms would have beds, maybe a table w/ chairs, and a chest) and attaching monster types to specific dungeon features (ruins, moldy caves, etc).

Right now, I'm not sure about post-compo. I definitely want to do more rogue-like development; I find myself liking the genre more and more as I play more rogue-likes. But, I'm torn between expanding on this code base or leaving this as it is and trying something new (though I'd certainly try to use the things that worked well).

Tritax

Mar 19, 2012, 9:21:05 PM3/19/12
I've put together a small update that fixes a few bugs and added an official key for resting.

+ Keypad-5 or Spacebar will now cause the player to rest for a turn.
+ fix a bug that could prevent the treasure from spawning properly
+ fix a bug that allowed descending/ascending at the wrong times

You can download the latest version here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48714596/IFRL.zip