7DRL Success! Underhall released.

elig

Mar 12, 2010, 11:01:01 PM3/12/10
Underhall is a 3d partially turn based first person dungeon crawl
roguelike, and it's awesome. I was going to wait until I had it
confirmed that it runs on computers aside from my own, but no one
turned up to beta test, so I'm releasing as is. I've packaged it in a
nice windows based installed. It requires Windows 7. If you encounter
any missing DLLs or error messages, let me know and I'll release a
fixed version soon. Thanks for checking it out, you won't regret it!

Here's the link:
http://nosoftware.googlecode.com/files/Underhall-1.0-Setup.exe

- elig

Martin Read

Mar 13, 2010, 6:53:25 AM3/13/10
elig <elig...@gmail.com> wrote:
>It requires Windows 7.

Way to limit your audience :)
--
\_\/_/ turbulence is certainty turbulence is friction between you and me
\ / every time we try to impose order we create chaos

Krice

Mar 13, 2010, 9:59:10 AM3/13/10
On 13 maalis, 06:01, elig <eligz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> nice windows based installed.

Release it without the installer. Don't you know anything?
No installers, they suck.

flend

Mar 13, 2010, 1:51:14 PM3/13/10

I feel somebody should be nice to you, so I'll say that I look forward
to playing your game when I get access to Windows 7 :)

-flend

Timofei Shatrov

Mar 13, 2010, 3:57:07 PM3/13/10
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:51:14 -0800 (PST), flend <flen...@googlemail.com> tried
to confuse everyone with this message:

Yeah, I totally wanted to check it out but I only have lowly WinXP.

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... | ue il |
|But we can take them on! | @ma |
| (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip) |______________|

Paul Donnelly

Mar 13, 2010, 7:03:33 PM3/13/10
gr...@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) writes:

> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:51:14 -0800 (PST), flend <flen...@googlemail.com> tried
> to confuse everyone with this message:
>
>>On 13 Mar, 04:01, elig <eligz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Underhall is a 3d partially turn based first person dungeon crawl
>>> roguelike, and it's awesome. I was going to wait until I had it
>>> confirmed that it runs on computers aside from my own, but no one
>>> turned up to beta test, so I'm releasing as is. I've packaged it in a
>>> nice windows based installed. It requires Windows 7. If you encounter
>>> any missing DLLs or error messages, let me know and I'll release a
>>> fixed version soon. Thanks for checking it out, you won't regret it!
>>>
>>> Here's the link:http://nosoftware.googlecode.com/files/Underhall-1.0-Setup.exe
>>
>>I feel somebody should be nice to you, so I'll say that I look forward
>>to playing your game when I get access to Windows 7 :)
>>

> Yeah, I totally wanted to check it out but I only have lowly WinXP.

I was going to try it in Wine, but I've got no MSVC2008 DLLS or whatever
it is I'm missing. Be interesting to see if it works with those included
though.

Fobbah

Mar 15, 2010, 12:42:10 PM3/15/10
It looks interesting - however, on my machine, the movement speed is
so rediculously fast that the game is simply unplayable.

I have a fairly quick video card in this machine, so maybe it runs a
lot faster in mine than yours, but you should find some way to slow
down the animation of your movement apart from just relying on the
rendering speed.

kind of a small problem to fix, but it completely spoils any enjoyment
i might derive from this one :S

On Mar 14, 11:03 am, Paul Donnelly <paul-donne...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
> g...@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) writes:
> > On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:51:14 -0800 (PST), flend <flendn...@googlemail.com> tried

jice

Mar 20, 2010, 7:16:19 PM3/20/10

For your information, it runs fine on my windows XP.
- throw the installer away and replace it by some help screen !
- lacks a compass and a minimap. It's very difficult to find one's
bearing
- cannot take an object if another object on the same line of sight
- add 'i'nventory, 'm'ap, 'w'ear, 'd'rop shortcuts !! the UI is really
tiresome

On the bright side, great title screen and very innovative real time
3D engine on top of a turn by turn grid-based game. Too bad the
gameplay is not as good as the renderer. Maybe for the next
version... ;)

--
jice

Ido Yehieli

Mar 21, 2010, 8:22:17 AM3/21/10
On 03/15/2010 17:42 , Fobbah wrote:
> It looks interesting - however, on my machine, the movement speed is
> so rediculously fast that the game is simply unplayable.

Works fine on my intel integrate 4500.

Engine seems solid, kinda like a very high-res wolf3d engine.

I think it will take a lot of work to make a roguelike made with this
engine look good tho - at the very least you'd need movement and attack
animations for the player and enemies, as well as some interface graphics.

-Ido.

Paul Donnelly

Mar 21, 2010, 6:26:08 PM3/21/10
elig <elig...@gmail.com> writes:

So I finally got it running. Pretty cool. I would play the next version
if I could run it without rebooting into Windows.

Controls are weird. Usually I'm irritated when a rogulike uses FPS WASD
controls, but since this is an FPS... why so strange? I'm also not clear
on why I have mouselook when there's nothing up or down to look at. Have
you thought about a System Shock/Ultima Underworld control scheme?

Your game loop seems wonky. The game moves faster when I look down and
my card has less to draw.

elig

Mar 22, 2010, 4:19:49 AM3/22/10
I'm not removing the installer, they don't suck. Every professional
commercial game has one for a reason. Besides, I offered up a zipped
version for the beta, and everyone took the EXE instead. It should
work fine on any windows, not just 7. It might require the MSVC dlls,
but I tested it on a fresh install of Windows XP and it worked fine.
If it complains about them, it's more likely that it's because you're
lacking some core DLLs, or running on some really outdated ones,
anyway. Though, I might package with the DLLs JUST IN CASE in the
future. Maybe.

The speed is something I intend to fix, but the graphics are not
getting much better. No animations, 3d models, etc. Though I might
consider improving lighting and particle effects, different ceiling
heights, visual indicator of damage, etc. The enemies will eventually
move smoothly between tiles, which should look marginally better as
well. The compass is something I'd been considering. On the one hand,
I wanted an extremely minimal GUI, but on the other hand the map does
get very confusing. Rather than a compass specifically, I'll probably
implement a small minimap in the upper right corner. This will show N,
S, E, W, of course, but will also have a minimap for even better
reference. The line of sight/targetting I also intend to fix. I
thought this would be a fast way to get decent results, but it's
really ended up being a burden. I'll just use the standard OpenGL
method of selection in the future, which should provide vastly
superior results. I'm wary of putting in roguelike controls, because I
think roguelike controls are awful and overly complicated. But for
convenience I'll probably add at least 'g', 'i', 'd' and maybe 'u' for
use/wear ('Q' is already present as 'q', but it does not prompt the
user as to whether or not to quit! It simply quits.). Maybe the right
mouse button will be bound to one of these, like 'u'. The game uses
mouselook for a variety of reasons, mainly, it's one of my favorite
control schemes. But aside from that, in the future there will be an
up and down to look at. For the 7DRL, I confined the engine to one
layer of the map, but the map actually supports rendering 3d
environments.

Anyway, thanks for all the great comments and thanks especially for
trying such an early and strange version of Underhall! I deeply
appreciate it and all the comments :)

Ido Yehieli

Mar 22, 2010, 4:42:51 AM3/22/10
On 03/22/2010 09:19 , elig wrote:

> Anyway, thanks for all the great comments and thanks especially for
> trying such an early and strange version of Underhall! I deeply
> appreciate it and all the comments :)

Did you use a ready made engine/lib or wrote it all on your own?

-Ido.

elig

Mar 23, 2010, 5:06:14 AM3/23/10

It was 100% me, unless you count SDL or OpenGL.