MageGuild v0.6 Released

1 view

Nahjor

Apr 10, 2008, 8:49:47 PM4/10/08
Hey, all. Another small step for MageGuild; v0.6. There haven't been a
lot of major, sweeping changes, but there were a few that I thought
merited a mention on RGRD.

* In theory, things should work on Mono; my attempts to test it so far
on Mono on Windows have been inconclusive, but there's no code that
the Mono analyzer marks as unsupported, and (hopefully) I've tracked
down all of the obvious platform-specific things and replaced them
with .NET Environment calls.

* Speed is considerably improved over v0.5, both pathfinding speed and
overall speed.

* Some new items, and descriptive text for creatures and spells

* Various bug-fixes and UI improvements

Big thanks to the group, as a lot of the fixes and changes came
directly from you guys.

As always, available from http://glistenimages.com/Documents/lukosMageGuild.htm
(or directly, at http://glistenimages.com/Documents/MageGuildv0.6.zip
). There's a full changelist on that page, and in the archive.

I expect v0.7 to be a bit longer in coming; I might consider drawing a
line in the sand on new features very soon and focus on polish for
v0.7 to turn it into v1.0...depending on how many horrific bugs I
managed to introduce in this pass. :)

Ed Kolis

Apr 11, 2008, 9:36:03 AM4/11/08
Cool!

When I saw this line in the changelog

-screen size capped at 1280x1024, for performance's sake

I was a bit worried, seeing as I run in widescreen 1360x768, but for some
reason the game still looks OK (does it compute based on megapixels and not
based on height and width?)... Still, I would suggest that you not cap the
resolution and instead increase the font size if the resolution is higher,
if displaying lots of tiles is a problem... if I were running at a higher
resolution, I would not be happy with tiny tiles!

I would also suggest putting the game files in a "MageGuild0.6" folder
inside the zip, rather than directly in the zip - in my experience, the
former seems more "standard", probably because if you "unzip here" and the
files were directly in the zip, you get a bunch of files cluttering up your
desktop (or wherever you put the zip), whereas if you do the opposite
("unzip to new folder" and the files were already in a folder) it's much
easier to alleviate the problem (just move the folder up a level, rather
than search out all the files you unzipped and risk having overwritten some
other files that were already there)!

Looks like the visual artifacts around certain symbols are still there - if
you'd like I can test if this has anything to do with font DPI settings?

Is there any way to manually detach an item from your staff, in case you
need it for some other purpose before it's expended or you want to put
something else on?

Hmm, appears that astromancy + melee training is an interesting
combination... ;)

-Ed

The Wicked Flea

Apr 11, 2008, 9:49:17 AM4/11/08
On Apr 10, 8:49 pm, Nahjor <Nah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> * Various bug-fixes and UI improvements
Here's a new one for you. I started a Cosmic/Arcane mage with Melee
Training, and once in I hit L to Learn new spells. The top edge of
the map is visible at the exact top of my screen, as is the left hand
corner in the exact upper left of my screen. Only, I get an unhandled
exception. Here it is:
-----
System.Exception: Invalid command.
at RLLib.RLKeybindController.GetKey(String command, Boolean& ctrl,
Boolean& shift, Boolean& alt)
at MageGuild.Helpers.DescKey(String Command)
at MageGuild.menuListPicker.PopListPicker(RLDisplay RD, String[]
options, Color[] colors, DetailsDelegate details, String descThing)
at MageGuild.frmMain.RLKC_DoCommand(String outCmd)
at RLLib.RLKeybindController.HandleKey(KeyEventArgs e, String
myState)
at MageGuild.frmMain.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys
keyData)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.ProcessCmdKey(Message&
msg, Keys keyData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessMessage(Message& msg)
at
System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessControlMessageInternal(Control
target, Message& msg)
at
System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.PreTranslateMessage(MSG&
msg)
-----
Continue worked fine, but I didn't see the learn dialog. So, the game
was frozen to all keyboard input because it died somewhere in the
calculations of the spells before it showed the dialog. At least, so
far as I can tell. It did save when I closed the window though, so
we'll see if I can continue. I loaded the save and if I try to
[L]earn then I get the exact same error. Creating a new character
along any build combination produces the same crash every time.

Figured that you might like to know. ;-) (And yes, I have all patches
for .NET and versions 1.1-2.0-3.0 installed.)

- Flea

Nahjor

Apr 11, 2008, 10:50:07 AM4/11/08
On Apr 11, 9:49 am, The Wicked Flea <thewickedf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a new one for you.  I started a Cosmic/Arcane mage with Melee
> Training, and once in I hit L to Learn new spells.  The top edge of
> the map is visible at the exact top of my screen, as is the left hand
> corner in the exact upper left of my screen.  Only, I get an unhandled
> exception.  Here it is:
> -----
> System.Exception: Invalid command.
>[snip]
> - Flea

At least this one is a relatively easy fix; I'm guessing you've got a
v0.5 myOptions.xml file in the game folder- probably just unpacked
v0.6 on top of v0.5, right? Delete that, and the game will create a
v0.6 version. v0.6 adds some new keymappings that aren't in v0.5, so
it breaks old options files. I'll fix this in general, but that'll get
you back in business.

Nahjor

Apr 11, 2008, 10:57:57 AM4/11/08
On Apr 11, 9:36 am, "Ed Kolis" <eko...@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
> based on height and width?)... Still, I would suggest that you not cap the
> resolution and instead increase the font size if the resolution is higher,
> if displaying lots of tiles is a problem... if I were running at a higher
> resolution, I would not be happy with tiny tiles!

Good points. To be honest, with the speed upgrades I later made in
other places, I'm unsure that the size cap is necessary; I'll do some
more testing on this. As to the tiny tiles issue, the game's graphic
tile size is currently configurable in options; I plan on adding a way
to configure the font that the game uses, just haven't gotten to it
yet. :)

> I would also suggest putting the game files in a "MageGuild0.6" folder
> inside the zip, rather than directly in the zip

Good call, I'll do that from now on. Pardon any unintended desktop
cluttery. :)

> Looks like the visual artifacts around certain symbols are still there - if
> you'd like I can test if this has anything to do with font DPI settings?

*hangs head in shame* I haven't looked into the DPI stuff at all yet,
so I'm unsurprised that those are still there. You're welcome to test
that, if you'd like, I'd appreciate the input- but don't feel
obligated. :)

> Is there any way to manually detach an item from your staff, in case you
> need it for some other purpose before it's expended or you want to put
> something else on?

Yeah, it's possible. Requires another item to do it, though.

> Hmm, appears that astromancy + melee training is an interesting
> combination... ;)

Fair enough. Not sure why that's more interesting than most,
though. :)

The Wicked Flea

Apr 11, 2008, 6:01:41 PM4/11/08
On Apr 11, 10:50 am, Nahjor <Nah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> At least this one is a relatively easy fix; I'm guessing you've got a
> v0.5 myOptions.xml file in the game folder- probably just unpacked
> v0.6 on top of v0.5, right? Delete that, and the game will create a
> v0.6 version. v0.6 adds some new keymappings that aren't in v0.5, so
> it breaks old options files. I'll fix this in general, but that'll get
> you back in business.

That fixed it, but here's ANOTHER new one for you.

I hit the movement key upwards twice and it triggered a fatal error.
Windows says the error signature is:
Type: clr20r3
P3: 47feaf5b
P7: 220
P9: system.nullreferenceexception

I sent the error report, but I don't know if/when it will ever get to
you.

Nahjor

Apr 12, 2008, 9:36:44 AM4/12/08
On Apr 11, 6:01 pm, The Wicked Flea <thewickedf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That fixed it, but here's ANOTHER new one for you.
>
> I hit the movement key upwards twice and it triggered a fatal error.
> Windows says the error signature is:
>  Type:  clr20r3
>  P3:    47feaf5b
>  P7:    220
>  P9:    system.nullreferenceexception

...I have absolutely no idea what to say to that. Is it reproduceable?
Were you in the game, or on a menu? Were there two open spaces above
you to move into, or was there something there?

> I sent the error report, but I don't know if/when it will ever get to
> you.

It won't, but I appreciate the attempt. :)

The Wicked Flea

Apr 12, 2008, 11:10:18 AM4/12/08
On Apr 12, 9:36 am, Nahjor <Nah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I have absolutely no idea what to say to that. Is it reproduceable?
> Were you in the game, or on a menu? Were there two open spaces above
> you to move into, or was there something there?

I have no idea; thus far I haven't been able to reproduce it, and I
can't even remember what the build for the character was. I'll have
to see if it happens again and write the conditions I see down by
hand. That way I can try and compare between them whenever it happens
again, if it does.

The Wicked Flea

Apr 12, 2008, 11:15:13 AM4/12/08
On Apr 10, 8:49 pm, Nahjor <Nah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> * Speed is considerably improved over v0.5, both pathfinding speed and
> overall speed.

Just noticed a glitch in your paint code. Shades, and other invisible
ilk, move and repaint the rectangle even when hidden. This gives a
flicker at each position it moves to, so you can fire blindly and kill
it. You should probably put a little check for whether or not the
creature is invisible, and so not paint it at the destination.

Nahjor

Apr 12, 2008, 5:28:42 PM4/12/08
On Apr 12, 11:15 am, The Wicked Flea <thewickedf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just noticed a glitch in your paint code.  Shades, and other invisible
> ilk, move and repaint the rectangle even when hidden.

Heh...cute. Yeah, that's not the only invisibility-related glitch...I
found and fixed a couple of those in v0.6, but apparently, not all of
them. ;) Thanks!

Nahjor

Apr 22, 2008, 1:59:51 PM4/22/08
Just as a heads-up, I've posted a v0.6.1 that addresses both the bugs
raised here, as well as a few other minor points. Available fromhttp://glistenimages.com/Documents/MageGuildv0.6.1.zip ). I think I
may have forgotten to note the invisibility bug in the CL, but it
should be fixed.