7DRL - no title yet

Fobbah

Mar 8, 2010, 8:59:57 AM3/8/10
Hi, i'm starting my 7DRL at 12:56AM GMT+10 on the 9th of march. little
late i know but i'll still aim to get it done by the 14th :)

Title and theme to be determined yet, was going to do a RL in java
with two other guys but havn't been able to get a hold of them in the
last few days so I'm suddenly deciding to do one now.

Fobbah

Mar 8, 2010, 12:19:17 PM3/8/10

Ok, so 4 hours of furious coding into the wee hours of the night, and
I've got my data structure and functions for the main game object/
levels pretty much completely done, and mobiles/items/buffs pretty
decently well fleshed out. Also seperated my frame/panel/key input
from the game objects completely, which is a nice change from the
tangled mess my last RL turned into.

So far, I'm halfway there to writing a very decent empty slate for a
java RL, and I think I'll continue developing the basics for now
(basic level generator, LOS, pathfinding), so i can save an archive of
the source tomorrow for use as a base for further projects, and then
I'll get stuck into content about day 3 :). In that aspect alone I'm
finding this 7DRL to be very rewarding already.

Still havn't decided on a theme, I will have to come up with one
tomorrow.

Fobbah

Mar 9, 2010, 7:48:27 AM3/9/10
Day Two.

Lots of headaches today, a lot of stuff took me longer than expeceted
(some nasty bugs in A* pathfinding code that didnt want to go away).
However, i've managed to complete my goals for today, which were to
complete:

-Messaging system
-LOS
-A* Pathfinding
-Basic AI structure

With that out of the way, i'll probably turn to level generation next
to keep this going as content free until i have to, as this is a nice
starting point for future roguelikes so far.

With almost all of the hard stuff done now, I'm confident I'll be able
to complete the project in the next 5 days.
Planned stuff:
Day 3 - Level Generation
Day 4 - Combat, Levelling, Experience, GUI
Day 5 - Story, monsters
Day 6 - Items
Day 7 - Polish and bugfixes

Fobbah

Mar 10, 2010, 1:40:45 AM3/10/10
Day Three
Got some more stuff done last night after making the last post.
Started writing my level generating algorithm, and after a few ugly
hacks, I've got it running smoothly for now :).

It works by creating a bunch of unconnected rooms, each containing an
array of doors on adjacent sides. These rooms are added to an
"unconnected" list. One room is moved to another list, the "connected
list". For each room on the unconnected list, a random door is
selected, and a random room/door from the connected list is also
selected. the pathfinding algorithm attempts to find a path through
the rock from the first door to the second. If, after multiple
attempts, a path cant be found, that room is destroyed and filled back
in. Otherwise, it is removed from the unconnected list and added to
the connected list.

I'm pretty happy with it so far:
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/5881/newdungeongenerator.gif

So that's the last of the hard stuff out of the way. Seeing as i
started a day late that leaves me 4 days left (including today) to go
nuts adding content and the gameplay mechanics. Hopefully I'll get all
the mechanics stuff done tonight.

DONE:
Data structures for levels, mobiles, items, buffs, ai, main game
object
Key event handling
Terminal window rendering
Moving @
A* Pathfinding
LOS - shadowcasting algorithm from the rlforj library - credit to
sdatta for his neat little library
Pathfinding level generator

TODO:
Day 3 - Gameplay mechanics
Day 4 - Story, monsters
Day 5 - Items
Day 6 - Polish and bugfixes

Fobbah

Mar 11, 2010, 4:24:08 AM3/11/10
Day Four
Got a little ahead of myself today, but it was very motivating.

Wrote up the item system, items, weapons, ranged weapons are all
working. Added roughly 100 items to the game, which should be enough
to just about do it.

Working on the spell system tonight, and hopefully the experience
system as well. That leaves me friday and saturday to develop all the
monsters that will be in the game, and fix any last minute bugs.
Sheesh! time pressure :)

Still, I'm very happy with what i got done today, and how this is
shaping up.

DONE:
Data structures for levels, mobiles, items, buffs, ai, main game
object
Key event handling
Terminal window rendering
Moving @

Mobiles
Monster AI

A* Pathfinding
LOS - shadowcasting algorithm from the rlforj library - credit to
sdatta for his neat little library
Pathfinding level generator

message handling
equipment, equipment dialogs
LOTS of Items
Combat
Ranged weapons
Ammunition
Spell system data structures

TODO
Finish spell system + spells + consumable items
Experience system
Monster content + remaining level content

11/3 - spell system + spells + experience system + consumable items
12/3 - Monster content + some level content
13/3 - Finish level content & polish