7DRL success: Harmless7DRL

kaw (development)

Mar 14, 2010, 12:59:56 PM3/14/10
As always there was not enough time to do everything I wanted, but I
did get a fair bit in.

So, here's my project. It's a spell-based roguelike without any direct
offensive spells, which leads to some interesting gameplay, I think. I
am _almost_ positive that it is completable, as I have finished about
90% of it during testing. It's probably pretty hard, though.

It's open source of course, but it's the sort of game where part of
the fun is figuring out how things work, so I humbly suggest that
people who want to enjoy the game play with it for a bit before
looking into the content-relevant parts of the source.

Enough talk: downloads. This is a Python game, there's a source
version for people on Linux using curses, and a TCOD version meant for
Windows people. (Starting from the source version is done with "python
harmless7drl.py". Any sane version of Python 2 should work.)

http://github.com/svk/harmless7drl/downloads

Enjoy! If you play it, please do tell me about bugs and such if you
encounter any, or just how you find the gameplay. I may release a
bugfix version if I encounter annoying and annoyingly fixable stuff.

win

Mar 14, 2010, 4:34:35 PM3/14/10

I really liked the atmosphere and especially the moles. I got to the
3rd floor and learned how to identify runes. How to I write and/or
cast spells? and why do the snifflers sometimes follow me and
sometimes not? One slight bump in the game starting process is that
after you choose your gender there is a long pause while the next
screen loads and I wasn't sure wether the game had frozen or not.

hmp

Mar 14, 2010, 4:49:40 PM3/14/10
Too big for my 1024x768. I replaced the font file with "arial10x10"
from libtcod distribution and it works well, but you should consider
people with smaller screens/netbooks.

kaw (development)

Mar 14, 2010, 6:58:59 PM3/14/10

You write spells with the 'w' key -- if you have the appropriate runes
in your possession and identified, you'll get a menu asking which
spell you want to write (there is no "guessing game"). Casting spells
is then done with a menu brought up with the 'm' key, with hotkeys
for convenience. You need to wield a charged staff to cast spells,
but you start the game with one charged with 50 mana.

The pause I agree is a flaw -- it is caused by a new level being
generated (random factors may cause a level to take an especially
long time to be generated). It's hard to avoid without rewriting the
level generation entirely, and I do like the results it gives.

As for the snifflers, I wouldn't like to post spoilers on the thread,
but they follow a very consistent and simple pattern. Though
I'm sure there are lots of bugs left in the game, their seemingly
weird behaviour is not a bug. (If you want spoilers and you can
read Python, you can look them up in monsters.py / ai.py.)

kaw (development)

Mar 14, 2010, 7:04:37 PM3/14/10

Sorry about that. My personal preference is for larger fonts so I
didn't consider the netbook folks. If I make a post-7DRL release
I'll make it more easily configurable. (Truth be told, if I make a
post-7DRL release I'll probably be swapping out the font anyway,
as I really prefer a non-square font but had no time to deal with
that during the challenge.)

kaw (development)

Mar 24, 2010, 1:48:31 AM3/24/10
New release!

Here's Harmless7DRL version 1.1, the first post-7DRL
release. This is a release to fix bugs and UI annoyances.
Among the things I can remember implementing are:
* the escape key should now work to cancel menus.
* when running under TCOD, there's an option (enabled
by default) of using truecolour to get prettier menus.
* moving orthogonally next to a rook no longer
crashes the game.
* uses of the colour black (bold black, usually but not always
represented as gray) can be changed in a configuration
file -- change if you're seeing monsters represented as
spaces.
* savegames and logs are kept in directories of their own.
* the default font is now a non-square one that is easier
on the eyes, especially for reading text (it's derived from
one of the Bitstream Veras)
* a configuration file can be used to change font and
terminal size for the TCOD version for people who are
having trouble with screen size or prefer a larger or
smaller font.
* the configuration file can be used to play under TCOD
on Linux -- you'll need to download libtcod.so, though,
as this is not included in the source package.

Savegames will not be compatible. Since one crash bug
was fixed I'd advise everyone to play this instead of the
original. Puritans may be interested to note that nothing
gameplay-relevant was changed (except the crash bug).

If anyone's playing this it'd be nice to hear what the
experience is like. Is it too difficult? Are people generally
still stuck on the snifflers and not casting spells?

In my view the game hasn't quite begun yet if you're
not casting spells. If you're still stuck on the snifflers
and finding that frustrating, here's a rot13'd hint on how
to work around them. N tbbq ehyr bs guhzo vf gb arire
yrg gurz trg gbb pybfr. Gurl pna or guebja bss ol
fvzcyr guvatf, ohg abg whfg ol ehaavat. Vs lbh pna'g
sbby gurz naq gurl qb trg pybfr, gel qvfcngpuvat gurz
jvgu n aba-zntvpny fgrry fgnss. Lbh qba'g arprffnevyl
jnag gb xrrc pneelvat gung sberire, gubhtu -- vg'f urnil!

kaw

Geoffrey White

Mar 25, 2010, 4:37:47 PM3/25/10
I liked this game a lot, but I found that starting with no spells made
it very difficult to get into. The majority of games I played I died
before writing a single one. I appreciate that a better / more
experienced player will probably do better, but it would be nice if it
had a slightly gentler learning curve.

Having said that, this is definitely one I mean to come back to.

- Geoffrey White

Joe Niezelski

Apr 24, 2010, 9:21:30 PM4/24/10
So I finally manage to put a spell together (I think the name was
Visions (See Self)), so of course I crash to desktop as soon as I try
to cast it.

Here's the debug thing:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "harmless7drl.py", line 223, in <module>
File "tcodui.pyc", line 10, in main
File "harmless7drl.pyc", line 71, in query
File "widgets.pyc", line 326, in keyboard
File "harmless7drl.pyc", line 63, in query
File "harmless7drl.pyc", line 53, in draw
File "gamewidget.pyc", line 152, in draw
File "tcodui.pyc", line 97, in putString
File "tcodui.pyc", line 109, in put
File "libtcodpy.pyc", line 467, in console_put_char
WindowsError: [Error -2147483645] One or more arguments are invalid

On Mar 25, 4:37 pm, Geoffrey White <geoffrey-

Message has been deleted