The best roguelike of all times ?

1 view

jice

Oct 17, 2007, 6:18:30 PM10/17/07
Well, at least I hope.
The Hellgate London single player demo will be released this friday.
Probably a must-have and must-study for any roguelike developer (ok,
not any roguelike developer, but any roguelike developer with a recent
computer...). I can't wait to steal all the good ideas issued from
more than 4 years of development by the creators of Diablo... ;)

--
jice

Brigand

Oct 17, 2007, 9:02:00 PM10/17/07

I have such high hopes for this game....and yet I fear that I will be
disappointed. The subscription model looks a bit iffy, at least what
I've read so far. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and absorbed into
this game like I was when DIablo 2 was released.

Corremn

Oct 18, 2007, 2:05:11 AM10/18/07

Yes exciting, I will be surprised that a FPS RPG can have a roguelike
feel, but anything is possible, the future of RLs? And is it only
some of the creaters of Diablo :P

"The game builds heavily upon the core design of roguelikes."

Gerry Quinn

Oct 18, 2007, 6:04:26 AM10/18/07
In article <1192666262.7...@v29g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
cor...@dodo.com.au says...

> On Oct 18, 7:18 am, jice <jice.nos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, at least I hope.
> > The Hellgate London single player demo will be released this friday.
> > Probably a must-have and must-study for any roguelike developer (ok,
> > not any roguelike developer, but any roguelike developer with a recent
> > computer...). I can't wait to steal all the good ideas issued from
> > more than 4 years of development by the creators of Diablo... ;)
>
> Yes exciting, I will be surprised that a FPS RPG can have a roguelike
> feel, but anything is possible, the future of RLs? And is it only
> some of the creaters of Diablo :P
>
> "The game builds heavily upon the core design of roguelikes."

Even World of Warcraft leans heavily on concepts that came from
roguelikes via Diablo.

- Gerry Quinn

zircher

Oct 18, 2007, 11:12:07 AM10/18/07
Gerry Quinn wrote:

> Even World of Warcraft leans heavily on concepts that came from
> roguelikes via Diablo.

Speaking of Diablo inspired games, my kids have recently gotten into
Titan Quest. It's such a kissing cousin to Diablo I wonder if the
developers have some kind of licensing deal with Blizzard. :-D
--
TAZ

Martin Read

Oct 18, 2007, 1:02:06 PM10/18/07
>> "The game builds heavily upon the core design of roguelikes."
>
>Even World of Warcraft leans heavily on concepts that came from
>roguelikes via Diablo.

Funny, that. You might almost think they came from the same studio.
--
\_\/_/ you take a mortal man and put him in control
\ / and watch him become a god watch people's heads roll

jice

Oct 18, 2007, 3:22:32 PM10/18/07
On 18 oct, 19:02, Martin Read <mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Gerry Quinn <ger...@indigo.ie> wrote:
> >Even World of Warcraft leans heavily on concepts that came from
> >roguelikes via Diablo.
>
> Funny, that. You might almost think they came from the same studio.

In fact, all the sweet roguelikiness of the world comes from the same
studio :

wikipedia extract...

Over the years, some former Blizzard employees have moved on and
established gaming companies of their own:

* Flagship Studios, creators of Hellgate: London, currently
working on Mythos.
* ArenaNet, creators of the Guild Wars franchise.

Gerry Quinn

Oct 19, 2007, 6:51:57 AM10/19/07
In article <1192735352.2...@e34g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
jice....@gmail.com says...

> On 18 oct, 19:02, Martin Read <mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > Gerry Quinn <ger...@indigo.ie> wrote:
> > >Even World of Warcraft leans heavily on concepts that came from
> > >roguelikes via Diablo.
> >
> > Funny, that. You might almost think they came from the same studio.
>
> In fact, all the sweet roguelikiness of the world comes from the same
> studio :

The developers of Titan Quest are called Iron Lore - I don;t know if
they have any relationsghip with Blizzard, but I doubt it.

- Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn

Oct 19, 2007, 6:53:48 AM10/19/07
In article <1192720327.7...@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
tzir...@yahoo.com says...

It's one of quite a few attempts to create a Diablo clone; I think the
consensus on comp.sysy.ibm.pc.games.rpg is that it is the most
successful to date.

The indie game Fate has been mentioned once or twice two.

- Gerry Quinn

Brigand

Oct 21, 2007, 6:09:49 PM10/21/07
Well, I can't say I can see a lot of Roguelike influence in it after a
half hour of play, other than an Item ID system, but it seems pretty
fun so far. I got a laugh out of retrieving Wart's prosthetic leg for
him, and the graphics are quite nice. There are only 2 classes
available in the demo, and the customization features are kinda 'meh',
but this may just be a taste of the final release. I still don't like
the idea that it's half free, half pay, (and really not half-free
since you have to buy the 'client').

Anyone else played the demo so far??

jice

Oct 22, 2007, 4:35:31 AM10/22/07

Yep ! For the roguelike influence, I would say :
- hash & slash gameplay
- randomly generated "dungeons"
- the endless quest for better equipment ala Diablo

I played the demo and for now, I also have mixed feelings. The random
dungeons don't really improve replayability since the overworld map
(subway stations and their connections) seems to be hardcoded but this
may be a limitation of the demo. The random generation doesn't make
sense with such small dungeons, it may take all its value with bigger
dungeons further in the game.

The trailer also gave me the impression that it was a dark, adult
game. The demo doesn't reflect this, with the prosthetic leg quest and
the NPC's hilarious London accent.

I've got a beta account, which should allow me to see more of the
game, but for now, I've never been able to connect to the beta
servers. I think they were down this week-end.

--
jice

Brigand

Oct 22, 2007, 11:19:17 AM10/22/07

There was actually randomly generated content beyond items?? I started
the demo over twice - after a crash, and a change of class - and it
looked identical all 3 times.

jice

Oct 22, 2007, 11:34:44 AM10/22/07
On 22 oct, 17:19, Brigand <markash...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> There was actually randomly generated content beyond items?? I started
> the demo over twice - after a crash, and a change of class - and it
> looked identical all 3 times.

I played once with a marksman and two times with a blademaster and I
had each time different "dungeons". Even the very first mini dungeon
before you reach the first subway station was different. Maybe you
didn't noticed because because of the small size of the dungeons... ;)

--
jice