7DRL: Troll Slayer

corremn

Mar 7, 2010, 11:16:34 PM3/7/10
I will begin tomorrow (Tuesday or Wednesday), better to fail than to
not try at all.

More info to follow....

Cheers

Corremn

corremn

Mar 8, 2010, 6:45:43 PM3/8/10

Ok I will begin Wednesday, gotto man a career fair today and I am
playing touch tonight. Ha this should be great ;) Probably should of
taken some design notes before hand too.

I hope I don't end up shaming my self and my tribe. Otherwise I will
have to shave my head and seek a glorious death in battle.

corremn

Mar 10, 2010, 3:55:44 AM3/10/10

Ok I began today, Wednesday 9:30 am. Not much time left...

Got me a dwarf running around and some gobs and trolls.
Got a dungeon to walk around.
Got multiple and critical attacks worked out, but damage is not
applied yet.
Now I will work on anger/rage/furious settings.
Then work on courage and energy/fatigue points.

Then onto AI.

corremn

Mar 12, 2010, 1:47:16 AM3/12/10

So moving on. I have rage/energy somewhat working. I have goblins
poking my dwarf in the eye making him furious.

I spent about 3 hours finding a stupid bug that made enemies not
attack you when standing on stairs. OMFG C++ and its obscurities. I
forgot to add a is_blocked flag to the copy constructor. Took me ages
to find that out. (it sounds easier to find than it was)

Anyway time to add more items, armour, ranged weapons. And some strong
ale to take down with you.

Cheers.

corremn

Mar 15, 2010, 8:00:07 AM3/15/10
Finished but just uploaded the game now.

http://users.adam.com.au/savre/TrollSlayer.zip

You play a dwarf slayer (warhammer) and decend into a dungeon to kill
stuff and die a good death. Use your bearly controllable rage to
destroy your enemies.

I.e to win untimately win the game defeat the demon at the end of the
game, but any decent death will score a win. As is the slayer way.

I will do a proper announcement tomorrow.

corremn

Mar 15, 2010, 8:03:34 AM3/15/10

corremn

Mar 15, 2010, 7:10:25 PM3/15/10
On Mar 15, 10:03 pm, corremn <corr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ACTUAL LINK
>
> http://users.adam.com.au/savre/bin/trollslayer.zip

yeah so it has an infinite potion problem and unstoppable power
levelling. Thanks for letting me know. I will have to correct that.

And the up stairs dont work as I ran out of time. The idea is not to
escape anyway, you are supposed to seek out a honourable death to
atone for past sins.

corremn

Mar 16, 2010, 8:28:34 AM3/16/10

Graphics are all screwed up :(
For some reason it looks fantastic on my dev machine but crap on my
home PC. I will have to look into that.

corremn

Mar 17, 2010, 7:34:57 AM3/17/10
On Mar 8, 2:16 pm, corremn <corr...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have distributed tiles for this game. It already supported them but
I did not have time to organise the. Check out the screenshot.
Fixed any reported issues (I.e removed the dubug experience levels)

Run the BAT file or "trollslayer.exe -tiles"
Edit options.txt to run in full screen (or any resolution you want)

Binary: http://users.adam.com.au/savre/bin/trollslayer.zip
screenshot: http://users.adam.com.au/savre/screenshots/trollslayer_0.png

Darren Grey

Mar 20, 2010, 6:54:46 PM3/20/10

Damn, wish I'd played it with the tiles - they look extremely snazzy!

I keep getting a crash a few levels in when I press 'w'. I think it
may be due to too many items in the inventory. Nice game though, lots
of cool touches, and very feature heavy for a 7drl. The dungeon
generator is especially good - I really like all the level layouts.
My only complaints would be that it's too easy (once I found a spear
no enemy was able to hit me) and the natural energy restoration is too
slow. Would be nice to play a bugfix of this with a better difficulty
curve.

--
Darren

corremn

Mar 20, 2010, 8:20:57 PM3/20/10

I think the new tile/ascii version has the "too many items bugfix" in
it.

I did not have time to play the game before I released it so balance
issues and bugs should abound. However there is no actual defence
value based on the spear, even though it may hint at in its
description. SO I dont know why they cant hit you.

I think I will release a more balaced game some time in the future,
and I ran out of time to add ranged weapons even though they are fully
supported by the game and ai.

THanks for playing

Darren Grey

Mar 20, 2010, 9:09:54 PM3/20/10

Because they knock back enemies on each hit. I knock em back, they
keep charging - repeat until monster is dead or I ned to drink some
booze :)

> I think I will release a more balaced game some time in the future,
> and I ran out of time to add ranged weapons even though they are fully
> supported by the game and ai.

Will be good to see.

--
Darren Grey

corremn

Mar 21, 2010, 4:12:46 AM3/21/10

I see. I better check if that is intended or not for that weapon. It
certainly should not happen after every hit. Critical effects happen
every hit, the non-critical effect should be rare.

Darren Grey

Mar 21, 2010, 11:03:20 AM3/21/10

It wasn't after every hit, but a good 75% of hits resulted in the
knockback effect.

--
Darren Grey

corremn

Mar 21, 2010, 11:00:01 PM3/21/10

Yep, I stuffed up the weapons, all weapons with an effect based on
their normal attack (non-critical) will always do it, it was supposed
to be around 1/20. The only testing I did was unarmed, which had the
correct effect-based probabilities in it.

I will have to offer a quick bug fix on that tonight.

Geoffrey White

Mar 24, 2010, 6:25:16 PM3/24/10
Nice game, clearly Warhammer influenced. Very complete, lots of
progression and nice dungeon generation. The energy / rage mechanics
and the various strengths of ale help to define the role, but
unfortunately can lead to lots of resting. Overall very good.

- Geoffrey

corremn

Mar 24, 2010, 8:40:17 PM3/24/10
On Mar 25, 8:25 am, Geoffrey White <geoffrey-

Thanks for your comments. The game is very warhammer inspired, I
probably will expand the Slayer role in future releases. Maybe add
different progression paths.

This game was cobbled together very quick (no surprises there) and the
character progression was done in the last 10 minutes before deadline.
I just hoped that the Rage/energy was playable. I think it was, but
the whole resting thing has been mentioned a few times. Potions were
the main way to regen energy/health and natural health regeneration
was just there for a few quick increases while searching for the next
battle. I think energy loss is probably too quick when berzerk. I was
supposed to add extra energy upon level up but forgot.

Unfortunately there was no time for real play testing before the I
released the game. I played level 1 a few times but that was it.

Either I add more energy and hit-points to the dwarf and remove
regeneration or I increase regeneration rate, or I add a rest until
healed command. I would also need to add monster spawning, to play
havoc when fleeing to rest. Or gain hp when descending levels.
Many things to consider.

Maybe have health regen only when berzerking.

Anyway my first step is to play the game in anger and see.