7DRL Success: Jagged RL

Michael Curran

Mar 19, 2012, 3:18:17 PM3/19/12
Hello, I posted most of my updates over on Google+, but I figured I
should announce here as well.

Introducing JaggedRL, the latest in genre fusion, featuring all the
greatest features in Roguelikes and squad-based turn-based strategy
games that I could squeeze into it in a week.

JaggedRL is a mouse-only game, and includes a tutorial to get you
familiar with the controls. It is written in Python using libtcod and
works with Windows, and Linux at least (though 64-bit Linux is a bit
unstable).

Download and extract and run python JaggedRL.py to pay.

Unfortunately, despite the smooth tutorial, I have to admit that the
content is a bit lacking. First lesson learned was never build a mouse-
based game using a library that only has rudimentary mouse support.

Download here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3429675/JaggedRL.zip

A couple of bugs have already turned up (saving and loading is a bit
spotty and defense and escort missions can still be won if the target
dies due to a broken trigger), so expect a 100% bug free version as
soon as I recover from the last week.

corremn

Mar 21, 2012, 6:31:28 AM3/21/12
On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:48:17 AM UTC+10:30, Burzmali wrote:
> Download and extract and run python JaggedRL.py to pay.

Loved Jagged Alliance and would love to give your game a try. Too bad it is in python... yes I am lazy.

Radomir Dopieralski

Mar 21, 2012, 7:14:01 AM3/21/12
Right, it would be so much easier if it was in Java...
Or a binary compiled for a different system than yours.

(Also, please wrap your lines at 80 characters)
--
Radomir Dopieralski, sheep.art.pl

corremn

Mar 21, 2012, 10:08:16 AM3/21/12
to Radomir Dopieralski
On Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:44:01 PM UTC+10:30, Radomir Dopieralski wrote:

> (Also, please wrap your lines at 80 characters)
> --

Me? Sorry I am using the nifty new Google Groups
interface. It does not do wrapping and there is no
real option to show where 80 characters is. I guess
it might be annoying to some. Thanks for letting me
know.

Plus it actually now hides spam, a reason to try
Google groups again.

Burzmali

Mar 22, 2012, 8:24:00 AM3/22/12
to Radomir Dopieralski
I was looking at py2exe but it hasn't been updated for years.

If anyone knows a decent python to exe tool, I'll happily
compile it that way.

I'm actually more practiced with Java than I am in python,
but the library support for what I was trying to do is
really there yet for Java.

Radomir Dopieralski

Mar 22, 2012, 9:01:15 AM3/22/12
On 2012-03-22, Burzmali <curran....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:14:01 AM UTC-4, Radomir Dopieralski wrote:
>> >
>> > Loved Jagged Alliance and would love to give your game a try. Too
bad it is
>> > in python... yes I am lazy.
>>
>> Right, it would be so much easier if it was in Java...
>> Or a binary compiled for a different system than yours.
>>
>> (Also, please wrap your lines at 80 characters)
>> --
>> Radomir Dopieralski, sheep.art.pl
>
> I was looking at py2exe but it hasn't been updated for years.
>
> If anyone knows a decent python to exe tool, I'll happily
> compile it that way.

Py2Exe works just fine. I packaged my game using it, even doing
some extra tricks to produce a single EXE file, and it worked as
advertised. I suppose it became stable enough to not need many
updates.

--
Radomir Dopieralski, sheep.art.pl

Burzmali

Mar 22, 2012, 1:44:13 PM3/22/12
Ask and ye shall receive:

Bugfixed windows exe version:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3429675/JaggedRL1.1-win.zip

It exits a bit oddly, but it seems to run well enough.

ceus....@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2012, 2:15:46 PM3/22/12
Hi there!! Could we have a Mac version?

Burzmali

Mar 22, 2012, 3:27:22 PM3/22/12
Well, I don't really have a Mac to test on, but some folks over on Doryen claim to have it working : http://doryen.eptalys.net/forum/index.php?topic=1433.0

I'll see what I can dig up.

Burzmali

Mar 22, 2012, 3:52:00 PM3/22/12
Sorry, I mean to say that they have libtcod's python wrapper working on Mac. The python Jagged RL uses should be fully cross platform compatible.

ceus....@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2012, 3:53:26 PM3/22/12
Thqnk you very much!!! I'd really like to test that rl!! :D