First time 7DRLer ahoy!

Ryan Szrama

Mar 6, 2010, 10:52:12 AM3/6/10
I'm not going to finish my entry. I don't have near enough time
between work, graduate studies, and parenting. I _might_ get a few
hours to work on this entry between now and the end of the contest.
What comes of my entry will be pathetic, limited, and in no way shape
or form complete.

But I'm going to do it! Moreso to get me on the road toward actually
finishing an entry in the 2015 7DRL competition.

I'm a long time player of RLs, starting with ADOM years ago. Most
recently, I've been playing Brogue and absolutely LOVE it. I've
started several RLs in the past using FreeBasic as my language of
choice (might've had one collaborative attempt in QuickBasic, too),
but I've never come anywhere close to finishing a game.

To that end, my entry will be limited in size and scope and will most
likely just be a place for me to test development of a single unique
feature. I'm trying to determine what that feature will be, but I
think it will have something to do with the game Carcasonne and maps
that wrap around. I'm thinking the theme will be something about
"terraforming gone wrong."

Will blog my progress at my recent Indie / Roguelike gaming blog,
wombat style.

http://roguewombat.wordpress.com

Cheers,
-Ryan

Johann Hibschman

Mar 6, 2010, 10:57:48 PM3/6/10
Ryan Szrama <ryan....@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not going to finish my entry. I don't have near enough time
> between work, graduate studies, and parenting. I _might_ get a few
> hours to work on this entry between now and the end of the contest.
> What comes of my entry will be pathetic, limited, and in no way shape
> or form complete.

Fantastic! Best of luck. I'm glad to hear there are other folks out
there in the same boat I am. One toddler and available hack-time
plummets.

I'll try to get my own Clojure project into a reasonable form over the
next week, but I'm in such an obscure corner of the RL dev space that I
doubt anyone will care much, but so it goes.

Cheers,
Johann

Ryan Szrama

Mar 8, 2010, 1:01:50 AM3/8/10
Thanks for the encouragement. : )

I've decided on a working name, Terraforma, and thrown some details up
on the blog. At the very least, this competition will help me to plan
something out that I can try and finish between now and the next
competition. Gonna mess around a bit with map generation before
hitting the sack... but I'm tired, so I might not get further than an
@ on a field of ". : P

Details: http://roguewombat.wordpress.com/2010/03/08/7drl-2010-terraforma-pt-1/

-Ryan

Ryan Szrama

Mar 10, 2010, 2:51:23 AM3/10/10
Minor update without a blog post to go with it... drawing the HUD
properly and getting a player to move around a pseudo-map. Need to
populate those maps now so I can test map expansion. w00t

Ryan Szrama

Mar 10, 2010, 10:38:43 AM3/10/10

Ryan Szrama

Mar 13, 2010, 1:44:17 AM3/13/10
Posting my first and last walkaround demo here:

http://roguewombat.wordpress.com/2010/03/13/7drl-2010-terraforma-pt-3/

Feedback is welcome, even if there's not much to see and do. : P

-Ryan