7DRL: "Ascii Dash" beta 1 available for download

Sock Puppet

Mar 12, 2010, 8:54:33 PM3/12/10
From here:

http://sites.google.com/site/asciidash/downloads/AsciiDash-beta1.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Windows binary, just run it and play (after reading the readme,
obviously). Source code will be posted later.

It's fully playable and feature-complete, so I guess this is a success
post as well - unless I decide to meddle with it some more, or
somebody brings a problem with it to my attention. I'll give it some
time for a few people to try it before I post final success. That
might also give me some time to take some screenshots.

Sock

Sock Puppet

Mar 13, 2010, 12:18:28 AM3/13/10
Some screenshots here:

http://sites.google.com/site/asciidash/home?previewAsViewer=1

Apologies for the layout, google sites' editor is horrible.

Sock Puppet

Mar 13, 2010, 12:19:37 AM3/13/10
That link should probably have been this:

http://sites.google.com/site/asciidash/home

Geoffrey White

Mar 20, 2010, 6:08:27 AM3/20/10
Fun game, probably closer to Boulder Dash than a conventional roguelike,
but still ... I'm surprised there haven't been more comments!

- Geoffrey White

Sock Puppet

Mar 23, 2010, 3:13:23 PM3/23/10
Nice to know someone has played it. Glad you liked it.

You're right that it is Boulder Dash cut with Rogue rather than the
other way around. That gave a much simpler design, therefore easier to
handle in such a small timescale.

I think that interesting results could be achieved by starting from
this gameplay position and adding more of Rogue's DNA, but that would
take a lot of redesign. Too ambitious for a game done in a single week
during which I also had to do real (i.e. paid) work!

Sock

Sock Puppet

Mar 30, 2010, 9:10:11 AM3/30/10

deathan...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2012, 8:04:30 PM7/27/12
Nice.
To bad im so late xD
Fun thing would be to add original sounds :)

gn0

Sylverone

May 31, 2015, 3:30:04 AM5/31/15
Your game has surprisingly stuck with me ever since you released it, and every now and then I pull it out again. I had a bad moment today when I couldn't find ASCII Dash on RogueBasin, so I'm creating a page for it. However, I notice that your download links on the game's page are all broken: https://sites.google.com/site/asciidash/downloads

If there is another more recent page for the game, a link would be good, otherwise you might want to update that page or create one on your website (if you have one) for fun(ny) people like me who might like to download it now and again. ;)

cli...@yahoo.com

May 31, 2015, 4:11:05 AM5/31/15
On Tuesday, March 30, 2010 at 8:10:11 AM UTC-5, Sock Puppet wrote:
Here is the link to the RogueBasin page I created. ASCII Dash is now listed in both the games, 7drl, and coffeebreak categories. I copied your readme into the wiki to serve as a description, as it's pretty well-written - I hope that's okay. Feel free to make any corrections you see fit.

cli...@yahoo.com

May 31, 2015, 4:11:53 AM5/31/15
On Tuesday, March 30, 2010 at 8:10:11 AM UTC-5, Sock Puppet wrote:
Apologies... HERE is the RogueBasin page: http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Ascii_Dash

sckpu...@googlemail.com

Oct 31, 2018, 12:57:14 PM10/31/18
Thank you both for making the RogueBasin page for the game, I just discovered it!

Strangely, although people have reported the download links from the original site as being broken, they are working for me when I try them today (using the link from the RogueBasin page to the original site). I guess if they work for me today then they will work for anyone who follows that link from the RogueBasin page.

Sock