7DRL Success: Toby the Trapper

Darren Grey

Mar 14, 2010, 5:29:51 PM3/14/10
It is done! I can't express how over the moon I am about finishing
this... You can find the game here:

http://www.filedropper.com/trapper

Contains Windows exec and Free Pascal source. If anyone can please
compile the game in Linux or Mac and send me a copy I'd be very
grateful.

Toby the Trapper is a roguelike based around killing or avoiding
enemies by setting traps. Otherwise the enemies can kill you in a
single hit (though their slow movement makes them less of a threat on
their own). Trap upgrades are found over time, but dungeon generation
also changes to get more challenging, more monsters appear, and there
are several unique bosses to contend with.

I had a lot more free time this week than I did last year (even though
I now have 2 jobs) so I was able to meet the time constraints with
much more ease. This was in spite of the fact that I had to learn a
hell of a lot from scratch. Trapper has got far more detail to it
than Gruesome. Got all the features I wanted to in (including 15
ending variations), though it lacks some of the polish I wanted and I
had to quickly patch the ultimate weapon to be something simpler.
Also haven't fully tested all the components as thoroughly as I'd like
(in particular all of the win conditions). Oh well, glad it's done
anyway!

Now, time to play some of the others...

--
Darren Grey

Darren Grey

Mar 15, 2010, 12:50:32 AM3/15/10
On Mar 14, 9:29 pm, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is done!  I can't express how over the moon I am about finishing
> this...  You can find the game here:

A more stable link:

http://sites.google.com/site/darrenjohngrey/games/trapper.zip

--
Darren Grey

aave

Mar 15, 2010, 7:29:41 AM3/15/10
This game is awesome. It has a nice puzzle element avoiding the orcs
and laying the traps. One of my favourites of this year's crop of
7DRLs.

Here's a linux binary, compiled on Ubuntu 9.10: http://saluuna.dy.fi/dropbox/trapper
and here it is injected into the package together with the other
files: http://saluuna.dy.fi/dropbox/trapper.zip

win

Mar 15, 2010, 11:19:18 AM3/15/10

this looks like an awsome game, it has a similar idea to mine but more
complete and with more variety. I'm downloading the compiler right now
so I can send you it compiled for powerPC OSX.

Darren Grey

Mar 15, 2010, 12:29:15 PM3/15/10
On Mar 15, 11:29 am, aave <tapiovier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This game is awesome. It has a nice puzzle element avoiding the orcs
> and laying the traps. One of my favourites of this year's crop of
> 7DRLs.

Glad you like it. The puzzle element is what I was going for. Some
of the bosses need some particular thought to take down (the later
ones are not easily susceptible to direct traps).

> Here's a linux binary, compiled on Ubuntu 9.10:http://saluuna.dy.fi/dropbox/trapper
> and here it is injected into the package together with the other
> files:http://saluuna.dy.fi/dropbox/trapper.zip

Gracias! Will include this in the download file.

--
Darren Grey

win

Mar 15, 2010, 1:44:48 PM3/15/10

It's acting like the fpc isn't in the right place. I'll have to get
some sleep before I can figure it out.

flend

Mar 15, 2010, 8:12:34 PM3/15/10
On 14 Mar, 21:29, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is done!  I can't express how over the moon I am about finishing
> this...  You can find the game here:
>
> http://www.filedropper.com/trapper

Although I had intended to take at least a one day break from
roguelikes, I did download this and try it out quickly before bed. Got
to level 5 where my old tactics stopped working and I died. Lots of
fun :) I'll definitely give it another go - skiing soon so will take
it along on my netbook. Would like to try a peaceful build where I
mainly use flashers and stuff. Figure that would be hard :)

Source code is tight too - 3500 lines? Guess you don't cut and paste
as much as me :)

Cheers

-flend

Darren Grey

Mar 15, 2010, 10:07:30 PM3/15/10
On Mar 16, 12:12 am, flend <flendn...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 14 Mar, 21:29, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It is done!  I can't express how over the moon I am about finishing
> > this...  You can find the game here:
>
> >http://www.filedropper.com/trapper
>
> Although I had intended to take at least a one day break from
> roguelikes, I did download this and try it out quickly before bed. Got
> to level 5 where my old tactics stopped working and I died. Lots of
> fun :) I'll definitely give it another go - skiing soon so will take
> it along on my netbook. Would like to try a peaceful build where I
> mainly use flashers and stuff. Figure that would be hard :)

There's special endings in place just for people who try that sort of
thing :) There's also special endings for those who deliberately
kill every last ogre they can find... However, be warned that none of
the bosses can be killed by just flashery - they will kill blind
monsters bumping into them rather than be killed.

> Source code is tight too - 3500 lines? Guess you don't cut and paste
> as much as me :)

Well, being low on features helps :) There's a hell of a lot of
nested 'if's in there, but I mostly tried to keep things fairly
efficient so that unexpected bugs didn't crop up (though that happened
plenty anyway, of course).

Does it run okay on a netbook? I've not had a chance to try it out on
my own.

--
Darren Grey

kkairos

Mar 16, 2010, 7:51:21 PM3/16/10
This thing was pretty cool once I found a not-stunning trap; good
concept and good execution so far as I can tell.

Darren Grey

Mar 16, 2010, 11:16:06 PM3/16/10

Now includes an OSX binary, for any Mac users wanting to play. Thanks
a lot to those who helped compile the game on other systems, and for
all the positive feedback.

I'm drawing up a list of things to patch up for a Director's Cut of
the game (mostly spending more time on the items I shoved in during
the last 20 minutes of coding without testing properly). Any
suggestions for additions are welcome, though I'm unlikely to change
the game much beyond 7drl version.

--
Darren Grey

Geoffrey White

Mar 18, 2010, 5:35:15 PM3/18/10
Excellent game, lots of fun to play. My only slight complaint is that
it's very slow to update / redraw.

- Geoffrey White

Darren Grey

Mar 18, 2010, 9:53:14 PM3/18/10
On Mar 18, 9:35 pm, Geoffrey White <geoffrey-

n...@randomstuff.org.uk.CUTHERE.invalid> wrote:
> Excellent game, lots of fun to play.  My only slight complaint is that
> it's very slow to update / redraw.

What system are you playing it on? You may find it goes a bit faster
if you compile the yourself with freepascal instead of using the
provided exec (at least, this worked for the same complaint with
Gruesome).

--
Darren Grey

flend

Mar 19, 2010, 5:21:53 AM3/19/10
On 16 Mar, 02:07, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does it run okay on a netbook?  I've not had a chance to try it out on
> my own.

It seems to run fine on my Atom netbook. No problems with slow screen
updates etc. (played in a window).

-flend

Konstantin Stupnik

Mar 22, 2010, 7:50:08 AM3/22/10
Darren Grey wrote:

I got to lvl10 twice and got killed by sally the shadow
without even realizing what happened.
What is that thing and how can I deal with it?

I think there is only one yellow color in mac terminal.
On yellow levels field of view isn't visible,
and it looks like ogres are appearing out of thin air.

It would be nice to have a notice about gem on the level.
It's a little too tedious to explore early levels,
they are too twisty.

It would be nice to have hotkeys for traps.

In my experience all traps other than banger are
mostly underused :)

Darren Grey

Mar 22, 2010, 4:28:56 PM3/22/10
On Mar 22, 11:50 am, Konstantin Stupnik <konstantin.stup...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I got to lvl10 twice and got killed by sally the shadow
> without even realizing what happened.
> What is that thing and how can I deal with it?

Seems Sally the Shadow is killing a lot of gnomes lately... Level 10
is where the bosses start getting really tough - Sally is just the
start. However she would be a little bit easier if I had remembered
to put in the warning message when she gets close :/ I am preparing
a Director's Cut which fixes this and a couple of other minor things -
expect it within the next few days (possibly even tonight if I find
the time).

I won't spoil what the unique features of Sally are, but I will
recommend you lay lots of traps on level 10 and keep a close eye on
your surroundings.

> I think there is only one yellow color in mac terminal.
> On yellow levels field of view isn't visible,
> and it looks like ogres are appearing out of thin air.

In the help file there's a tip about running on macs: "In the terminal
you'll likely need to check off 'Use bright colors for bold text' to
get all the text to display." Perhaps I'll change the colours for
those levels to be more friendly though.

Any other such problems with the cosmetics? Those are the things
which are easiest to alter...

> It would be nice to have a notice about gem on the level.
> It's a little too tedious to explore early levels,
> they are too twisty.

Not all the gems are necessary, as I'm sure you've noticed.
Exploration is optional. Still, the gem and boss levels are precoded
- you can learn the pattern to them simply enough (gems on 1st floor
and every 3rd level, bosses after every gem level except 2nd floor -
get a bit different after Sally though). Also it's intended to use
some of the levels to practise new traps before a boss fight. (You
also get a better ending if you finish with all of the gems of power.)

> It would be nice to have hotkeys for traps.

Can you think of any decent ones? F-keys maybe, but I don't know how
to read them... I prefer having a simple interface personally, and
with hotkeys there's the danger of pressing the wrong key and getting
delayed several turns.

> In my experience all traps other than banger are
> mostly underused :)

You should use flashers more then :) But true, the higher traps have
a lot of associated dangers, and admittedly little variety. They are
essential for the later bosses though, and some can just be fun to
use. Setting up trap chains is especially nice. Ogres will follow
your scent, so you can set up a large empty area of linked traps, find
a bunch and lead them over non-trapped space, then get one of them to
step on your end trap and blow up all the others in the resulting
conflaguration. Sometimes dangerous of course... As a challenge try
killing the giant in a single round with the right trap layout.

--
Darren Grey