PlantForce 7DRL Finally Ready THIS IS NOT A DRILL

purplearcanist

Oct 20, 2009, 11:35:38 PM10/20/09
Sorry about my previous false alarm, but I had to fix an issue with
seemed to work fine in Netbeans while failing when I ran it from the
terminal (little did I know I wasn't using the latest version of java,
which caused it to fail). Anyways, as a result, I have finished
making this program. It will run if you

http://sites.google.com/site/eliotsprograms/PlantLife.jar
No guarentees that it will work if you don't have Java 1.6. Anyways,
have fun!

Features include:

* 11 different monsters, each with varying speed, health, and quirks
* Plants that have different features, which mutate iin subsequent
generations
* Health and hunger tied together, eating food is vital.
* 3 different attack styles, and 4 different plant magicks, all tied
to a practice-based skill system.
* Ground fertility, which can be modified to affect the lifespan of
your plants.

I am a little concerned about balance, and I would like some input.
Also, I am afraid that there are some bugs in the 7DRL that were not
fixed. Anyways, please help me by reporting any bugs you find, or any
suggestions for feature improvements or balance. Also, I want to know
what you thought about the game.

P.S. I feel a little intimidated by the amount of roguelike sites out
there, such as Roguebasin. Can someone help me put my success on
these sites so that I can interest other people.

Guys, sorry about the last version. However, I am willing to call
this a win.

Nik Coughlin

Oct 21, 2009, 12:35:20 AM10/21/09
"purplearcanist" <ejg...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Sorry about my previous false alarm, but I had to fix an issue with
> seemed to work fine in Netbeans while failing when I ran it from the
> terminal (little did I know I wasn't using the latest version of java,
> which caused it to fail). Anyways, as a result, I have finished
> making this program. It will run if you
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/eliotsprograms/PlantLife.jar
> No guarentees that it will work if you don't have Java 1.6. Anyways,
> have fun!

Can you please have a look at the numpad controls, I can move using the
number keys on the top row of the keyboard, and using the vi keys but I have
an ergonomic keyboard which splits b & n quite far apart so they're not
comfortable to use, and the numpad keys don't work, regardless of whether or
not I have numlock on

Konstantin Stupnik

Oct 21, 2009, 2:06:29 AM10/21/09
purplearcanist wrote:
> No guarentees that it will work if you don't have Java 1.6. Anyways,
> have fun!
I can confirm that it's not workin with java 1.5.0_20 on mac os x.
I'm not quite sure if I can upgrade java.
There is some kind of special version of java on macs.

Dirk Zimmermann

Oct 21, 2009, 4:12:47 AM10/21/09
On 21 Okt., 08:06, Konstantin Stupnik <konstantin.stup...@gmail.com>
wrote:

If you have Leopard you already have 1.6 on your machine, no need to
upgrade. Simply start Java Preferences.app (under Applications /
Utilities) and drag Java SE 6 up to the top of the list.

If you don't already have it (Tiger or older) don't ever install the
1.6 beta. It messed up my system pretty bad and you can't easily
uinstall it. I don't know if there is a stable 1.6 for Tiger.

On another note, I can confirm that it works with 1.6 (1.6.0_15-
b03-226 to be exact) on Mac OS X 10.5.8. Besides the usual updating I
haven't tinkered with anything Java related on this box.

-- Dirk http://blog.dirkz.com

Konstantin Stupnik

Oct 21, 2009, 5:53:26 AM10/21/09
Dirk Zimmermann wrote:
> On 21 Okt., 08:06, Konstantin Stupnik <konstantin.stup...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> purplearcanist wrote:
>>> No guarentees that it will work if you don't have Java 1.6. Anyways,
>>> have fun!
>> I can confirm that it's not workin with java 1.5.0_20 on mac os x.
>> I'm not quite sure if I can upgrade java.
>> There is some kind of special version of java on macs.
>
> If you have Leopard you already have 1.6 on your machine, no need to
> upgrade. Simply start Java Preferences.app (under Applications /
> Utilities) and drag Java SE 6 up to the top of the list.
I have os x 10.5.8, but in Java Preferences there are only 1.5 and 1.4.2
No 1.6 found :(

Dirk Zimmermann

Oct 21, 2009, 8:59:04 AM10/21/09
On 21 Okt., 11:53, Konstantin Stupnik <konstantin.stup...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I'm on 10.5.8 too. Have you checked in software update if something's
waiting there? I'm pretty sure I didn't tinker with any jdk related
issue on my leopard except for software update (can't say 100%
though). On my preferences app 1.4.2 (32 bit), 1.5 (32/64 bit) and 1.6
(64 bit) are shown.

On http://developer.apple.com/java/ it says something about Java for
Mac OS X 10.5 Update 2, available via software update, mentioning 1.6.
This should imply that 1.6 came with leopard ... Have you maybe
upgraded from Tiger to Leopard?

-- Dirk http://blog.dirkz.com

pol

Oct 21, 2009, 6:22:30 PM10/21/09
This time it doesn't immediately crash, but no buttons seem to work except
Esc, which quits the game after saying that I gave up

purplearcanist

Oct 21, 2009, 10:52:58 PM10/21/09
On Oct 20, 10:35 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <nrkn....@gmail.com> wrote:
> "purplearcanist" <ejg_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Fixed. What did you think about the game?

to run the game on a windows machine. Just remember to be clear about
what version of java you are using, and remember that there are no
guarentees for versions below 1.6.

Konstantin Stupnik

Oct 22, 2009, 12:32:29 AM10/22/09
Dirk Zimmermann wrote:
>> No 1.6 found :(
>
> I'm on 10.5.8 too. Have you checked in software update if something's
> waiting there? I'm pretty sure I didn't tinker with any jdk related
> issue on my leopard except for software update (can't say 100%
> though). On my preferences app 1.4.2 (32 bit), 1.5 (32/64 bit) and 1.6
> (64 bit) are shown.
64bit - this may be the issue.
My mac have intel dual core CPU, not intel core 2 duo.
AFAIK dual core do not have 64bit extensions.
Just checked software update - everything is up to date.
But no signs of java 1.6 :(

Dirk Zimmermann

Oct 22, 2009, 3:44:58 AM10/22/09
On 22 Okt., 06:32, Konstantin Stupnik <konstantin.stup...@gmail.com>
wrote:

So does it only say 32-bit for your 1.5 version?

-- Dirk http://blog.dirkz.com

Konstantin Stupnik

Oct 22, 2009, 4:19:40 AM10/22/09
>>> though). On my preferences app 1.4.2 (32 bit), 1.5 (32/64 bit) and 1.6
>>> (64 bit) are shown.
>> 64bit - this may be the issue.
>
> So does it only say 32-bit for your 1.5 version?
Yeah.
So there is almost no point in snowy upgrade for me.

Nik Coughlin

Oct 22, 2009, 9:25:38 PM10/22/09

> On Oct 20, 10:35 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <nrkn....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "purplearcanist" <ejg_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > Sorry about my previous false alarm, but I had to fix an issue with
> > > seemed to work fine in Netbeans while failing when I ran it from the
> > > terminal (little did I know I wasn't using the latest version of java,
> > > which caused it to fail). Anyways, as a result, I have finished
> > > making this program. It will run if you
> >
> > >http://sites.google.com/site/eliotsprograms/PlantLife.jar
> > > No guarentees that it will work if you don't have Java 1.6. Anyways,
> > > have fun!
> >
> > Can you please have a look at the numpad controls, I can move using the
> > number keys on the top row of the keyboard, and using the vi keys but I
> > have
> > an ergonomic keyboard which splits b & n quite far apart so they're not
> > comfortable to use, and the numpad keys don't work, regardless of
> > whether or
> > not I have numlock on
>
> Fixed. What did you think about the game?

It was different and interesting, and I liked figuring out why and how
things worked. It's a little sluggish (the response, not the pace) but
other than that I thought it was fun

purplearcanist

Oct 22, 2009, 11:07:45 PM10/22/09

> It's a little sluggish (the response, not the pace) but
> other than that I thought it was fun

Glad to hear that. Blame the sluggishness on java, it takes a long
time to load graphics, and I wanted to use a beautiful characterset.

pol

Oct 24, 2009, 1:35:31 AM10/24/09
Fixed. What did you think about the game?

to run the game on a windows machine. Just remember to be clear about
what version of java you are using, and remember that there are no
guarentees for versions below 1.6.

I don't know if you are talking to me or not, but I have java version 6 -
can't figure out how to find out any more detailed information than that. I
am on windows XP & I just reformatted & reinstalled java for this so I
assume it's the most up-to-date version.

Is there anything out there that will allow you to compile java programs so
you don't have to download the correct/any version?

purplearcanist

Oct 24, 2009, 9:29:59 AM10/24/09
> Is there anything out there that will allow you to compile java programs so
> you don't have to download the correct/any version?

Afraid not. The Java code needs to be interpreted by a Java Virtual
Machine correctly in order to be able to run on your machine. As far
as I know, there is no way of simply compiling it for the machine, as
it can only be compiled for the JVM.

As an upside, the JVM can be tailored to the machine, interpreting the
same code correctly. This allows programs to work on any OS/computer,
as long as there is a JVM developed for it.

Slash

Oct 24, 2009, 11:10:22 AM10/24/09

This is not completely true... you can use graphics in java at a more
than needed speed for a roguelike (check castlevaniaRL)

--
Slashie

Slash

Oct 24, 2009, 11:13:06 AM10/24/09

There have been some efforts to create native compilers for linux and
windows, but so far they are not completely reliable (see GCJ for
example gcc.gnu.org/java ) There are some commercial ones which are
pretty well, but expensive (ExcelsiorJet comes to ming)

A better choice is to bundle the JRE with your app, but that makes it
much more heavy and is also a legal minefield (probably :P)

--
Slashie