7DRL Challenge 2011: Date is Chosen!

Jeff Lait

Jan 26, 2011, 10:11:18 AM1/26/11
What is a Seven Day Roguelike?

A Seven Day Roguelike is a roguelike created in seven days. This means
the author stopped writing code one hundred and sixty eight hours
after they started writing code.

--------------

A Seven Day Roguelike (7DRL) can be written at any time. However, a
general agreement was reached that it would be fun to schedule a
specific week for a challenge. This allows the various authors to know
that others are also desperately tracking down a bad pointer reference
on the 167th hour.

The week has been chosen for the Seventh Annual 7DRL Challenge!

After an unscientific straw poll, the following scientific-looking
graph was generated:

Feb 19 - Feb 27: ####
Feb 26 - Mar 6: ######
Mar 5 - Mar 13: #################

A discursive analysis of this shows that the use of the # sign makes
for an aesthetically pleasing method for representing bar graphs.

The week for the Seven Day Roguelike Challenge has been chosen!

Within the week of March 5th to March 13th, you are hereby challenged
to write a roguelike in 168 hours!

To participate, follow these simple steps:
1) Any time on March 5th or March 6th (as measured in your time zone),
post to rec.games.roguelike.development that you have started work on
your Seven Day Roguelike.
2) Write a roguelike.
3) After 168 hours, if you have completed a playable roguelike, post
your success to rec.games.roguelike.announce! If not, post your lack
of results to rec.games.roguelike.development, where we will all
commiserate and agree that given a few scant more hours, it could have
been great.

Good Luck!

I will try to post a reminder message the Wednesday before the
challenge.
--
Jeff Lait

Sherm Pendley

Jan 26, 2011, 2:45:06 PM1/26/11
Jeff Lait <torespon...@hotmail.com> writes:

> The week has been chosen for the Seventh Annual 7DRL Challenge!

I've added the event for the 7DRL Challenge Facebook group, for those
who are interested. I actually got the start & end date right this time;
third time is the charm I guess. :-)

<http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/event.php?eid=177465255622423>

sherm--

--
Sherm Pendley
<http://camelbones.sourceforge.net>

Gabriel Arthur Petrie (eyenot)

Jan 26, 2011, 4:15:06 PM1/26/11
On 1/26/2011 10:11 AM, Jeff Lait wrote:
> The week has been chosen for the Seventh Annual 7DRL Challenge!
>
> After an unscientific straw poll, the following scientific-looking
> graph was generated:
>
> Feb 19 - Feb 27: ####
> Feb 26 - Mar 6: ######
> Mar 5 - Mar 13: #################
>
> 3) After 168 hours, if you have completed a playable roguelike, post
>
> Good Luck!
> --
> Jeff Lait

++Awesome. In other great news, I got PSPad working with MinGW portably
again. [[If anybody else has to live on thumbdrive, I have a discovery
to offer: %~d# is DOS for "expand as drive letter of properly formed
pathname in argument #". So in your batchfile: %~d0 is the drive letter
the batchfile is running from, since arg0 is the batchfile's path+file]]

I builded and randed kobold mine 2x1, so I have all I need to begin
coding when the week comes. I'm starting my design process. . . . now.

-- eyenot